ADVERTISEMENT

ADM Numbers

Wow, how about Highland with only 58 students!

I guess unless there is some appeal, LCA will stay 4a?

Looks like they will be 5A starting next Fall. Their ADM from March bumped them over the line for next cycle, which is for 4 years now. (Unless their enrollment drops significantly)

Last edited:
Sherando was one of the schools that was projected to move up, so I guess they were right.

Arguable, the most beautiful county in the state. Since census' were first taken in 1850, the population has never been smaller than it is now, about 2300. Only two schools in the county, an elementary, and a high. The county budget for 2015 was approximately $7.3 million. In comparison, Chesterfield County just approved their 2016 budget, $1billion.

Highland County High School offers minimal athletics. Of course, no football.

Just about anybody from NVA, Richmond, or the eastern part of the state that has gone to Snowshoe or Cass Mountain, WV, probably traveled through Highland County. If so, you also went through Monterey. One of the neatest small towns in Virginia.

I'm surprised Highland hasn't become more popular with retirees. Land/home cost are low, as is the cost of living out there. Maybe for most, it is TOO isolated?

Arguable, the most beautiful county in the state. Since census' were first taken in 1850, the population has never been smaller than it is now, about 2300. Only two schools in the county, an elementary, and a high. The county budget for 2015 was approximately $7.3 million. In comparison, Chesterfield County just approved their 2016 budget, $1billion.

Just about anybody from NVA, Richmond, or the eastern part of the state that has gone to Snowshoe or Cass Mountain, WV, probably traveled through Highland County. If so, you also went through Monterey. One of the neatest small towns in Virginia.

I'm surprised Highland hasn't become more popular with retirees. Land/home cost are low, as is the cost of living out there. Maybe for most, it is TOO isolated?
It's so small, I've been through there on the way to Cass Scenic RR, and I didn't know I was there.

It's not that it's that small Mike, it's just stuck off of the side of Virginia. 417 Sq. miles, Dinwiddie is just a little larger at about 500 square miles. Highland is probably slightly smaller than the median.

While I'm rambling on about counties, here is an interesting fact. The county seat of Northampton County, Eastville, has the oldest continuous court records in the US. I guess that was one courthouse that the damn yankees didn't burn to the ground!

You may recall that last year I got to go on vacation to Hatteras during the week of Labor Day. I contemplated riding back for our game against Caroline, but the 12 hour round trip was just a tick further than I could justify. So I decided to catch the mighty Hatteras Hurricanes that Friday night. I got my game face on Friday and got ready to head out for the game. Unfortunately, they had played on Thursday night. This year they play "away", so I guess I'm out of luck again.

In 2017, I think that's the Friday we will be playing at Salem. I've already told my family, either change weeks for our vacation, or I will be gone Friday, and some of Saturday. Unfortunately, it's a Sunday to Sunday rental, so I can't just go home from Salem to stay. Depending on the route I take, I'll either go home and catch a little sleep, or grab a hotel room in Salem. But the bottom line, I WILL NOT MISS THAT GAME.

Reactions: mike salem
It's not that it's that small Mike, it's just stuck off of the side of Virginia. 417 Sq. miles, Dinwiddie is just a little larger at about 500 square miles. Highland is probably slightly smaller than the median.

While I'm rambling on about counties, here is an interesting fact. The county seat of Northampton County, Eastville, has the oldest continuous court records in the US. I guess that was one courthouse that the damn yankees didn't burn to the ground!

You may recall that last year I got to go on vacation to Hatteras during the week of Labor Day. I contemplated riding back for our game against Caroline, but the 12 hour round trip was just a tick further than I could justify. So I decided to catch the mighty Hatteras Hurricanes that Friday night. I got my game face on Friday and got ready to head out for the game. Unfortunately, they had played on Thursday night. This year they play "away", so I guess I'm out of luck again.

In 2017, I think that's the Friday we will be playing at Salem. I've already told my family, either change weeks for our vacation, or I will be gone Friday, and some of Saturday. Unfortunately, it's a Sunday to Sunday rental, so I can't just go home from Salem to stay. Depending on the route I take, I'll either go home and catch a little sleep, or grab a hotel room in Salem. But the bottom line, I WILL NOT MISS THAT GAME.
You'd blow off family vacation on Hatteras for a football game? That's just crazy talk. :confused:

Been to Monterey on business!!!! (ABC). An hour west of Staunton and three mountains! School is so small that each year it may close down and students sent to other schools. Surprised it had not happened!

I enjoyed stopping at that mountain pass and learning about the civil war history. And stopping at McDowell. Neat country store there. Aimed at tourist, but still a good place to stop.

I guess what keeps the school from shutting down is the logistics of getting the kids to adjacent localities.

What's the name of that historic inn in Monterey? I always though I might try to take a mini vacation and spend a night or two there.

Used to go skiing at Showshoe all the time, never remember Highland County. I do remember all the Mail Pouch Tobacco ads on the barns.

Mailpouch8466.jpg

I really wish I understood Frederick County's logic for maintaining a roughly 200 student gap between Millbrook and Sherando. Millbrook is (literally) a mirror image of Sherando. They're the same size, with the same layout.

I really wish I understood Frederick County's logic for maintaining a roughly 200 student gap between Millbrook and Sherando. Millbrook is (literally) a mirror image of Sherando. They're the same size, with the same layout.
When you understand it, please let me know, as I have always wondered the same thing. I will guess that it had to do with the redrawing of attendance zones when Millbrook opened and the hell that was raised about it. I know Frederick County built the schools using the same blueprints so they could save money. In fact, many of the schools recently built in Frederick County used the same blueprints, if I remember correctly. Not saying elementary and middle used HS blueprints, just the same as the type of school.

They knew it was coming , they had time ( several years) to react and prepare. This result could have been avoided. My best answer is that they don't really care enough.

The main attraction for Highland is their annual Highland County Maple festival during the 2nd and 3rd weekends of March, where they have crafts, sugar camp tours, and a whole bunch of really, really good food (and everything maple you can imagine). It is not the easiest trip from Staunton to Highland, as it is very mountainous with lots of twists and turns. There has been talk of a new road going from Staunton to Highland to cut the travel time down, but supposedly the highland locals did not want it.

Something that has become quite common in Highland is "out-of-towner's" buying up properties and using them as hunting camps or vacation homes, causing the population to decline.

Reactions: Marshall-Dillon
I will let it play out as it will, it's not place to share details right now. Not even sure if anything will change, could be to late. . But there was a big mistake in counting enrollment numbers in Frederick County, as it pertains to the three high schools.

The main attraction for Highland is their annual Highland County Maple festival during the 2nd and 3rd weekends of March, where they have crafts, sugar camp tours, and a whole bunch of really, really good food (and everything maple you can imagine). It is not the easiest trip from Staunton to Highland, as it is very mountainous with lots of twists and turns. There has been talk of a new road going from Staunton to Highland to cut the travel time down, but supposedly the highland locals did not want it.

Something that has become quite common in Highland is "out-of-towner's" buying up properties and using them as hunting camps or vacation homes, causing the population to decline.

Keith, I theorized that that was part of what was taking place. Highland is close enough to NVA to lure people for just the reason you stated. And Lord knows, there are tons of people, and plenty of money up there. I would rather see the property bought up for these purposes than get sub-divided into home sites.

I will let it play out as it will, it's not place to share details right now. Not even sure if anything will change, could be to late. . But there was a big mistake in counting enrollment numbers in Frederick County, as it pertains to the three high schools.

Really? Cmon man!!!

Hey Shruikan , it's not over yet, stay tuned. There was a mistake.

STEPHENS CITY — Sherando High School has been placed in Group 5A for athletics and activities in the updated alignment plan for the 2017-18 school year released by the Virginia High School League on Thursday.

As things currently stand, Sherando would be the seventh-smallest of the 56 schools projected to be in Group 5A. Sherando entered the current alignment cycle that began in 2015-16 as the fourth-largest Group 4A school.

With the realignment, Sherando likely would have a tougher road to success.

"Would we be one of the smallest schools in 5A? Absolutely," Sherando Coordinator of Student Activities Jason Barbe said. "But you play where you belong."

Schools have until July 11 to request an appeal to the VHSL. Barbe said he does not know if Sherando will appeal, and added he doesn’t know what basis the school would have to appeal.

Prior to the 6 class system that was adopted for 2013, Sherando was set to be a AAA school for 2011. As soon as those numbers came out, Sherando principal was crying the blues that the school was way overcrowded and that district lines had to be redrawn... Lines were redrawn, but most of those affected ended up getting waivers to go back to Sherando anyway instead of James Wood.
Complete sham... Wonder how they will try to buck the system this time

Reactions: Rev_Real
Nitro, I have no comment on your comment, but welcome to the forum and that's a cool nickname!
(Even though you have been a member for nearly a year. Please chime in more often, we welcome new thoughts and ideas.)

Any one thing of significance that has led to lower enrollment? Or just normal population fluctuations?

http://www.vhsl.org/doc/upload/appeals-august-4-2016.pdf

Appeals have been posted and... wait for it... shocker....

23. Sherando: Requests to remain in North Region, 4A Classification rather than their 5A Classification where the March 31, 2016 ADM numbers place them.

Be sure to check the Star or Daily soon to see them crying the blues about overcrowding and try to reset boundaries again...

They are not the only school on the list trying to stay down unwarranted, but this has been ongoing with this school for quite some time.

Reactions: Rev_Real
http://www.vhsl.org/doc/upload/appeals-august-4-2016.pdf

Appeals have been posted and... wait for it... shocker....

23. Sherando: Requests to remain in North Region, 4A Classification rather than their 5A Classification where the March 31, 2016 ADM numbers place them.

Be sure to check the Star or Daily soon to see them crying the blues about overcrowding and try to reset boundaries again...

They are not the only school on the list trying to stay down unwarranted, but this has been ongoing with this school for quite some time.

Oh look, another poster who comes here only to say negative things about Sherando. Overcrowding has been an ongoing issue at Sherando for nearly a decade now, and if the numbers support them staying in 4A then they absolutely should. If they have 5A numbers, they should move to 5A. That's not "crying the blues," that's a program ensuring that they're going to be placed in the proper classification. Obviously they wouldn't appeal if they didn't think they had a case, and as some have suggested it's a possibility that there was an error with the initial count.

This shouldn't have been an issue in the first place since Millbrook has the same layout as Sherando, and yet Sherando has hundreds of more students than Millbrook. It's a failure on the part of Frederick County if those initial numbers were correct.

I don't know what some of you drive-by posters have against Sherando. They're not dominant like Salem, Amherst, or some other 4A schools, and they never have been. The only thing I can guess is that you support a school Sherando crushes every year, and are butthurt or something along those lines.

Oh look, another poster who comes here only to say negative things about Sherando. Overcrowding has been an ongoing issue at Sherando for nearly a decade now, and if the numbers support them staying in 4A then they absolutely should. If they have 5A numbers, they should move to 5A. That's not "crying the blues," that's a program ensuring that they're going to be placed in the proper classification. Obviously they wouldn't appeal if they didn't think they had a case, and as some have suggested it's a possibility that there was an error with the initial count.

This shouldn't have been an issue in the first place since Millbrook has the same layout as Sherando, and yet Sherando has hundreds of more students than Millbrook. It's a failure on the part of Frederick County if those initial numbers were correct.

I don't know what some of you drive-by posters have against Sherando. They're not dominant like Salem, Amherst, or some other 4A schools, and they never have been. The only thing I can guess is that you support a school Sherando crushes every year, and are butthurt or something along those lines.

Not sure if it's "butt hurt" or whatever you call it, but facts are facts, last time when the this all went down, they shipped a few kids over to James Wood, that got them under. But Sherando does cry the blues everytime this comes up. Why? Because they would have to start over, would they have success at 5a probably not, they usually have 2 tester games a year, Martinsburg which they may not have beaten yet (could be wrong on that one) then 1 other, then who do they play before the playoffs? Wood, Skyline, kettle run (maybe, although they put them on the schedule after the Cougars had there run) millbrook, Handley, and a couple of Wva cupcakes, not all that impressive. Unless your a warrior fan, that has gone to states twice and got spanked, but hey, atleast they got there, something they wouldn't or won't do in 5a. Bet on it

Reactions: OCBoy
Just some facts about the matter.
1. This is not a Sherando issue, the appeal was filed by The superintendent of Frederick County schools. It's a Frederick County public schools issue. Sherando will play where ever they are placed, as long as it is the right number.
2. There were a chunk of Millbrook and James wood students that were attending special classes at Sherando because it is the only school providing these special classes. that were accounted as Sherando students. They should have been counted as students of Millbrook or James Wood. it was a mistake by Frederick County, NOT Sherando.

Not sure what Sherando going to 5A or staying in 4A has to do with the football schedule of the past or how many times they have been to states. Lol so funny

Not sure if it's "butt hurt" or whatever you call it, but facts are facts, last time when the this all went down, they shipped a few kids over to James Wood, that got them under. But Sherando does cry the blues everytime this comes up. Why? Because they would have to start over, would they have success at 5a probably not, they usually have 2 tester games a year, Martinsburg which they may not have beaten yet (could be wrong on that one) then 1 other, then who do they play before the playoffs? Wood, Skyline, kettle run (maybe, although they put them on the schedule after the Cougars had there run) millbrook, Handley, and a couple of Wva cupcakes, not all that impressive. Unless your a warrior fan, that has gone to states twice and got spanked, but hey, atleast they got there, something they wouldn't or won't do in 5a. Bet on it
Sherando beat Martinsburg last year for the first time. , and Sherando has been to States 4 times only getting spanked 3 times for the record. They consistently play the best available in the area of teams that will play them. The district games have to be played , especially with the travel costs associated it makes sense to play the best teams available that are close to you. I don't intend to ever understand what your personal agenda is against Sherando. But when it comes to the 4A/ 5A situation Sherando has been put in a awkward situation not by there own doing. Sherando doesn't just go out pick all the best athletes in the county, or draw the lines of school attendance. That is done by the school board. In my opinion all three Frederick county high schools should be kept at equal population with adjustments made prior to situations that are at hand now. Sherando was dropped by Liberty , And Kettle run, and Loudoun County . You could ask them why they won't play ? You Have to find somebody to play in football, so they play who will play them within a respectable driving distance. I doubt you understand how hard it is for a athletic Director to find teams that will play them, but it is not easy.

Reactions: ClarkeFan83
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT