ADVERTISEMENT

All-2A West First Team

We know the kid you're talking about is your kid. So, with that said, of course you know the exact stats. But most people don't keep up with everyone's stats for the year like a parent may. So you talking on a message board about how we won't give stats is odd. 90% of us on this board probably don't have stats like that. Just my opinion of how I see this situation.
Seems your coach knew the stats on him too. We played Richland's in basketball and he wanted to know who he was and what gradehe was in so somebody knew the stats.

Even a lineman from Richland's made it! Really!?! I understand how it goes and I know our coach didn't attend any of these meetings he never does but goodness sakes there are alot better players than some selected they are just lucky they were on better teams. Also again yes I know stats on the one kid but seems like nobody wants to give stats to support their selection either. Funny??

This kid was first team all conference. I also can't find stats for any of the rest of them either. So I really don't have anything to go by no one is willing to post REGULAR season stats.
Go to MaxPreps or HUDL. Some Coaching staffs can be pretty good at posting stats there but comparing stats of one player to another is a waste of time. Stats can help support an argument for a player but is not as heavily weighted as Coach's opinion of a player's abilities and impact on games.

Here's the deal. if Coachs have to game plan for an opposing player, whether it's offense or defense, that's a known commodity with reputation that gets the votes when it comes to selections.

But I'm really done with all this. There are not enough sour grapes to satisfy your appetite.

Last edited:
Reactions: RichlandsRyan
Well stats Trump all and should be more of a deciding factor because most of the players that got these awards didn't play on teams that this kid would play against. Glenvar and Richland's are the only two. So you think they would want anyone else to get it? NO... They can't puff out their chest if someone else got it. Pure and simple B.S. That's what our whole society has come to. Not what you do but who you know. And we wonder why this country is in the shape its in. That's what we are teaching these young men?!?!?

Could not find stats on Sewell or Howie but did find them on Noaks. 51 receptions for 521yds. 7 TDs. Add in 521 all purpose yds. But got award for WR.

Reactions: AdvocateOfMany434
Even a lineman from Richland's made it! Really!?! I understand how it goes and I know our coach didn't attend any of these meetings he never does but goodness sakes there are alot better players than some selected they are just lucky they were on better teams. Also again yes I know stats on the one kid but seems like nobody wants to give stats to support their selection either. Funny??

That linemen from Richlands was first team all state last year as a junior. You think he didn't get better? He deserves to be on that team as the standout lineman for the TOP SCORING OFFENSE IN ALL OF 2A FOOTBALL.

You are quickly sounding like nothing more than a disgruntled parent who clearly is only going to continue griping. I'm done with this crap. Let it go dude.

Just a stats FYI. Chris Holmes played for Chancellor as a WR and DB during the 2011 and 2012 seasons. In those two years, he had 672 receiving yards, 8 TDs and quite a few tackles on defense. Hardly stellar numbers but got the recognition he deserved. One look at him play and he was clearly one of the best players you'll see at the HS level. 15 DI Colleges agreed. He currently plays at Duke.

Just an example of why stats are not nearly the measure of a player and the Coach's see this. By the same token, stats mean almost nothing from a recruiting stand point.

Both the offensive and defensive lineman were Players of the Year in their conference. One was first team all state last year, and the other lead the team in individual tackles and had twelve sacs as a lineman. The coaches who watch film know what is reality versus misconstrued perception of parents and fans.

Stats can be meaningless if the starters are constantly be taken out well before the game is over, or if a player rolled up big numbers against weak competition.

The 3 WRs listed were the best 3 in the west region. Personally, I think there should be 4 spots at WR, and Appomattox's Buster Henderson should be the #4 guy. Those 4 were head and shoulders above everyone else in the West Region in Group AA.

Reactions: AdvocateOfMany434
Simple truth is this. Coaches aren't going to be able to know everything about every kid nor will they be able to watch all the film on all of them or contact all the teams they played against. Understanding that all the players who are fortunate to play on teams that made some noise in the playoffs are going to have more stats than those who unfortunately didn't. In a more logical way as to NOT have any of this discussion use stats. Stats are indisputable. You cannot argue with stats! That's all I'm saying and everybody on here is getting butthurt by me wanting and using stats to prove a point. But since all the favorite players with LESS statistical backing got in now you have to defend the coaches choices. I'm not arguing value for the player I've been talking about because I'm not so narrow minded to think that everyone would know how important they are to their team. I have given STATISTICAL DATA backing my argument and no one else can. Just think it's sad that there are more politics that go into this than actual facts. Very sad!

I am just using the only tool I have and that is statistical data. Just what cannot be disputed. Team worth is not a legitimate excuse because not all coaches are going to be able to so all the homework on all the players. Everybody getting all butthurt because I'm asking for stats proves my point. No one can give stats to back their opinion and that's just what these awards are an opinion because apparently statistical data is not used.

Stats can be meaningless if the starters are constantly be taken out well before the game is over, or if a player rolled up big numbers against weak competition.

The 3 WRs listed were the best 3 in the west region. Personally, I think there should be 4 spots at WR, and Appomattox's Buster Henderson should be the #4 guy. Those 4 were head and shoulders above everyone else in the West Region in Group AA.
Could you please give regular season stats on any of the four you are talking about? Thanks.

Could you please give regular season stats on any of the four you are talking about? Thanks.

I will give you the stats of Buster if you let us know the stats of your son and how many qtrs he played? Can you give that info and I will be happy to provide you with Busters numbers?

I think Buster should have been a shoe in at WR, but I feel Junior Delonta Kelso was our best LB.

Could not find stats on Sewell or Howie but did find them on Noaks. 51 receptions for 521yds. 7 TDs. Add in 521 all purpose yds. But got award for WR.
I gotta agree with him here, all I heard on the board was Noaks, Noaks, Noaks and I was expecting bigger numbers than this. Thanks for your statistical info.

Reactions: Jdphil2
And AGAIN!! The system is faulty.

FYI, JLA may have been the best QB in 2A (well deserved), but I Appomattox's Matt Page is definitely not far behind him. Both have individual strengths that the other cannot mimic.

51 receptions for 1189 yds. 12 TDs. Just regular season stats. Beings we are a small school he played 40 quarters. We don't have the luxury of big leads nor a second string.

I gotta agree with him here, all I heard on the board was Noaks, Noaks, Noaks and I was expecting bigger numbers than this. Thanks for your statistical info.
Thanks these are the numbers I found on him on maxpreps. Hope you can see.my argument also. Yes the WR I'm pulling for is my son. He is one of the hardest working 3 sport athletes anyone could find. Like I said we are a small.school.with a very very low participation in any of our sports and for him to put up respectable stats and to be snubbed is ridiculous.

Against Galax 7 receptions for 209 1 TD. Glenvar only one for 38 sounds bad but only had 3 plays called his way all night our coach threw to his son all night. He's from that area. Richlands 5 receptions for 44yds. I think.

In the Galax game he was also double covered most of the night with Charles Harris at safety over the top and still put up this e numbers. Also at Glenvar after the game the real.good sr. db that was on him told him that they had watched film on him all week and was surprised that they didn't give him the ball more. Richlands had a really good db that covered him all night but our QB got rattled and didn't have a good game.

He didn't have very much against Richlands. That game was over in the first quarter.
Would agree their skill players were very good. But our QB had a bad night too. Their speed kept him in check only catching short passes for small gains. I think he had 40+ yds.

Think about this though. He is only a sophomore. He has a total of appx. 1900+ yards and 19 TDs in two years.

The last I saw on Howie before the playoffs were somewhere around 40ish catches for 750ish yards and 13 TD. I know the 13 TD number is right. He did those numbers playing in about 25 total quarters in the regular season.

The last I saw on Howie before the playoffs were somewhere around 40ish catches for 750ish yards and 13 TD. I know the 13 TD number is right. He did those numbers playing in about 25 total quarters in the regular season.
Good stats but with our participation numbers we don't have that luxury.

So with the argument that some on here are trying to make about player being valuable to their team. Richlands had to have another receiver with more yards? Didn't your qb throw for over 2000+ on the regular season? So more justification on my argument of this players value to the team.

We had 2 WR with 500+ yards. We had two more go for over 300 each. Not counting our RB who had 200+ yards. Asbury threw for 2275ish.
So he had 5 options? Our QB had only 2 90% of the time. So this makes him more valuable because he's a second third fourth or fifth option? Right? Like I said just lucky to be on a team like that. Seems like with only 2 options to pass to defense would be able to gameplan better for him one would think. But it keeps making my argument more valid.

Think about this though. He is only a sophomore. He has a total of appx. 1900+ yards and 19 TDs in two years.
You probably just hit the primary reason he wasn't All West. Only a Sophomore. Seniority and time served may be the strongest weighed factor in the final selection process. Seniors will get the nod over a Junior with better numbers, knowing the Junior will get there next year and almost regardless of his numbers. A Sophomore needs to be really remarkable, have an outspoken advocate and average competition to get the nod.

Stop whining. His time will come. This is how it works. I sympathize because I've been there. Just look at it this way. No kid selected was undeserving. Let it go and hope he gets someone that can throw the ball next year. This is a HS sport the kid enjoys and has very little impact on his future. That's all. Accept it as that. Enjoy it with him. It's the last few years you can truly connect with him. Share it. Cherish it and don't forget what's important for HIM.

Your argument gets killed with the fact that Richlands had so many weapons. That's why the stats weren't there for their guys, the ball was getting spread around so much, but if you go up against Richlands they could give the ball to any of their receivers and he could be a play maker. They were that good and will be next year too. Richlands deserved to have their best WR on the first team. That offense deserved the recognition they got, they were that good at what they did regardless of stats or how they spread the ball around or how quickly they got it done and got their second string in.

Your argument gets killed with the fact that Richlands had so many weapons. That's why the stats weren't there for their guys, the ball was getting spread around so much, but if you go up against Richlands they could give the ball to any of their receivers and he could be a play maker. They were that good and will be next year too. Richlands deserved to have their best WR on the first team. That offense deserved the recognition they got, they were that good at what they did regardless of stats or how they spread the ball around or how quickly they got it done and got their second string in.
But the argument most everyone else was trying to make was stats plus team value the player has thus solidifying the argument. Without this receiver our QB would only have had 1000 yds. Or less probably. Validating their point. Just like last year he had almost half of our total offensive yardage as a freshman. Need any more validation of team worth?

You probably just hit the primary reason he wasn't All West. Only a Sophomore. Seniority and time served may be the strongest weighed factor in the final selection process. Seniors will get the nod over a Junior with better numbers, knowing the Junior will get there next year and almost regardless of his numbers. A Sophomore needs to be really remarkable, have an outspoken advocate and average competition to get the nod.

Stop whining. His time will come. This is how it works. I sympathize because I've been there. Just look at it this way. No kid selected was undeserving. Let it go and hope he gets someone that can throw the ball next year. This is a HS sport the kid enjoys and has very little impact on his future. That's all. Accept it as that. Enjoy it with him. It's the last few years you can truly connect with him. Share it. Cherish it and don't forget what's important for HIM.
You hit the nail on the head. He'll need someone to get the ball to him next year. We don't have a qb coming up. So if he didn't get it this year with stats like he had he's not going to get anything next year because of not having any help around him. None of you guys know this kid. He is driven to play at the next level and he will. He is a 4.0 student and a very hard worker. Our coach don't care about any of our players just his son. Who by the way is going to be our QB next year. It will be interesting to see because our offensive will degrade back to the veer because we won't be able to throw the ball. He could be a.starter anywhere he goes.

Found out a few minutes ago that the coach pulled him out of class today to tell him he didn't make all region and that he wasn't allowed to go to the meeting to discuss this either. Are only certain coaches invited? Wouldn't think so but that's what he was told.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT