ADVERTISEMENT

All quiet on the Giles Front

Intrinsicrewards

VaPreps Rookie
Sep 16, 2011
Missing the usual great posts on here from the Giles folks. Looks like no Giles drop off whatsoever compared to last year.

I think we'll have a good year, but the past two years Glenvar has reminded us to stay grounded and humble. Our toughest tests are coming up the next few weeks.

If they make it to October undefeated, I would be very shocked to see them not by 10-0. Glenvar is not the Glenvar of before...although the Spartans do struggle there. Radford is WAY down. That game with Graham on 9-23 is certainly going to be a good hard fought test for both schools.

If they make it to October undefeated, I would be very shocked to see them not by 10-0. Glenvar is not the Glenvar of before...although the Spartans do struggle there. Radford is WAY down. That game with Graham on 9-23 is certainly going to be a good hard fought test for both schools.
I think the Graham game is all that stands in their way of 10-0. Could be a lot like last year where 10-0 won't get you the top seed. I think Appo, even if they go 9-1 with a loss to Amherst, will be the 1 seed. Everyone else is fighting for 2nd.

I'm just starting to pay attention but from what I can tell so far in 2A West...Appo, Giles, Richlands in that order IMO. Glenvar, Graham, Union, Dan River somewhere in the next tier. What team am I leaving off?

Glenvar back to full strength and hopefully be a lot better beginning this week but jury is still out.

I think the Graham game is all that stands in their way of 10-0. Could be a lot like last year where 10-0 won't get you the top seed. I think Appo, even if they go 9-1 with a loss to Amherst, will be the 1 seed. Everyone else is fighting for 2nd.
im not worried about Amherst, we can defend the Wing T crap. If we can score 4 TDs we should be safe. Our O is definitely not as explosive as last season. DR is a problem this year and slept on this year.

Hard to say about Giles just yet. Blacksburg will have a good year I think. Christiansburg is clearly down. Narrows Friday night which shouldn't be close but its a rivalry game and Narrows is 3-0 and thinks they can win. Graham and Galax will be tough games and who knows with Glenvar.

im not worried about Amherst, we can defend the Wing T crap. If we can score 4 TDs we should be safe. Our O is definitely not as explosive as last season. DR is a problem this year and slept on this year.

I was right there cheering for Appo last year in the state championship game as I have family down there like I have said and met some very nice people. But the way you talk about teams that run Wing T is terrible. It makes me want to root against Appo. You have some kind of problem with teams who run it for whatever reason, but saying you are not worried about a team because they run some "crap" is very disrespectful. You also talked bad about it when speaking of Riverheads, saying it takes one series to figure out how to stop it, etc. Even saying we don't practice how to stop it. That is very dismissive and disrespectful. I will be willing to bet that your coaches don't feel the same way, and WILL practice on how to stop it when a team comes up on the schedule.

The way you are talking about Wing T and stuff makes you sound like HR6

I see that you are not worried about having to defend the Wing T and are very confident in your defense's ability to stop it. Is your defense just built to stop that offense or does your D coordinator have a sound strategy to defend it, or both? Basically, just wondering if you could elaborate on that as most teams in our area run some form of this offense now.

Reactions: vman3196
I'm not a huge Wing T fan, but players can make it pretty potent. George Wythe ran it VERY well not long ago. No one found it easy to defend. You can run any formation and win as long as the personnel fits.

Hicks ran the Wing T for Years in Pulaski....... Easy to defend but not a lot of teams could stop it...

I was right there cheering for Appo last year in the state championship game as I have family down there like I have said and met some very nice people. But the way you talk about teams that run Wing T is terrible. It makes me want to root against Appo. You have some kind of problem with teams who run it for whatever reason, but saying you are not worried about a team because they run some "crap" is very disrespectful. You also talked bad about it when speaking of Riverheads, saying it takes one series to figure out how to stop it, etc. Even saying we don't practice how to stop it. That is very dismissive and disrespectful. I will be willing to bet that your coaches don't feel the same way, and WILL practice on how to stop it when a team comes up on the schedule.

The way you are talking about Wing T and stuff makes you sound like HR6
Well, Hello Gunz, the one that comes at me often Gunning me down. We had this conversation before and you have totally annihilated my dialogue about this particular topic. You can go find the thread and it will show you that im repeating myself here. Here it goes..... I NEVER said, we dont practice for it!!! I said when we go to the Jamboree at Riverheads, we never practice for it. We are taking that whole week to practice for the Buckingham game. That is what I said. I also said, that I dont like Single Wing/Wing T offenses due to it depending on the run and ground in pound. Reason being, if you get behind you are doing something that the team is not used to. They have to throw the ball and most these teams lack a QB with a arm that can throw accurate. Why do you think Appomattox crushed Clarke County? You was there! We backed them in a corner to do something they are uncomfortable doing. Wing are live and die on the run. Thats why I call it "crap" and it only works in 1 A and 2 A. I want someone to prove me wrong that there is a team that consistently won championships with Wing formations? I might be wrong and I will stand corrected.

SO yes!! On game week when we face a team with Wing system, we practice all week to defend it. Oh and thank you for your fanbase in Salem.

I am assuming he is trying to say that they have the athletes to stop these offenses? I don't think he means any disrespect.
Thank you vman! No I was not being disrespectful. Yes, our Defensive Coordinator and Defensive coaches has the blueprint how to defeat the Wing formations. We faced Riverheads (scrimmage), William Campbell, Gap, Clarke, Amherst last year and NONE of them could move the ball consistent on the Raiders.

I feel half of it is great coaching and other half is having some great athletes on the field to shoot the gaps and reading the OL. Players are taught NEVER LOOK IN BACKFIELD or you will get fooled. You read the OL and that takes you to the ball.

Our D is still stout and many of the players were on the team from last year. What bothers me going into playoffs will be we are not facing any Wing formations except Amherst this year. I thought about that later after I wrote previous post. W.C. has new coach and new system. We only seen Riverheads, but like I said before, we were preparing for Buckingham at that time, not the Wing. That being said, I recant on not worried about Amherst. I just home our players have great memory of how to defend it.

Last edited:
Still up in the air for me. The three G teams coming up will tell a lot. Glenvar will be much improved when they get their kids back, I have no doubt. I'm pleased with how they have worked and played so far. Giles is young so even a loss or two won't kill me. I will say I dint expect us to be 2 and 0 at this point.

Reactions: CallMeCoach19
Advocate, let's call it what it is. You have an 8-7 record since 99 with 5 of those wins coming last year in the playoffs. You lost to Wilson in 11 and Giles in 13 so apparently the coordinator was not there then that had all the keys to "wing" teams. You have a tremendous talent pool right now and are certainly pounding people but do it for longer than a year or two before you start bumping your chest too much. The one point I do absolutely agree with you on is that you see it consistently at 1 and 2A because it is better for teams that don't have 5-7 true skill players. Enjoy your teams success as they have surely earned it but know that you are no Phoebus either bud.

Well, Hello Gunz, the one that comes at me often Gunning me down. We had this conversation before and you have totally annihilated my dialogue about this particular topic. You can go find the thread and it will show you that im repeating myself here. Here it goes..... I NEVER said, we dont practice for it!!! I said when we go to the Jamboree at Riverheads, we never practice for it. We are taking that whole week to practice for the Buckingham game. That is what I said. I also said, that I dont like Single Wing/Wing T offenses due to it depending on the run and ground in pound. Reason being, if you get behind you are doing something that the team is not used to. They have to throw the ball and most these teams lack a QB with a arm that can throw accurate. Why do you think Appomattox crushed Clarke County? You was there! We backed them in a corner to do something they are uncomfortable doing. Wing are live and die on the run. Thats why I call it "crap" and it only works in 1 A and 2 A. I want someone to prove me wrong that there is a team that consistently won championships with Wing formations? I might be wrong and I will stand corrected.

SO yes!! On game week when we face a team with Wing system, we practice all week to defend it. Oh and thank you for your fanbase in Salem.

So how many teams in last 15 years would you like to know ran single wing/wing t/ flex bone type of offenses? I'll do my best to get quite a few. Also would you like just virginia or other states as well? And I will try to do not 1a or 2a schools

Reactions: AdvocateOfMany434
So how many teams in last 15 years would you like to know ran single wing/wing t/ flex bone type of offenses? I'll do my best to get quite a few. Also would you like just virginia or other states as well? And I will try to do not 1a or 2a schools

Its hard to find a list of teams that won championships and what they run unless it is mentioned that they ran it in an article. And I havent seen all the teams in the state to know who runs what. Some that I could find that ran SW, Wing T, etc and had success whether they won a championship or just really good every year:

Broad Run
Stone Bridge
Osbourne
Park View Sterling
Centreville (this I know was a championship Wing T team and has been a few years i remember being ranked high in the nation)
Poquoson
Colonial Forge
Woodside
Christiansburg

I am sure there are more, but that should be enough to make the point that teams can be successful running them and not all at lower levels.

Look @AdvocateOfMany434, I have no issue with you at all. I actually enjoy reading your posts, but I take offense to people talking bad about things like that. Its like I have gotten into it so many times with HR6 before and him saying he only likes a team who throws the ball all of the time and hates teams who run the ball all the time. Well that has been successful for a lot of teams throughout the country for a long time, so just because you don't personally like it doesn't mean it isnt any good.

The parts of your comments on this issue that I find a little disrespectful is calling an offense crap. Just because that is what a team runs doesnt mean they cant pass. Or how about the spread teams who cant pass lol Thats when you get 4 hr games. Or even if a team cannot come back, maybe they just werent good enough, doesnt mean that their offense is crap. Or saying can figure it out after 1 series, well there are a lot of teams over the country who would beg to disagree. Yes you probably can guess where the ball is going, and a lot of times you would be right, but there is a difference in knowing and stopping. How many times have you watched a football game at any level and knew what the offense was going to do, defense still can't stop them. Happens all the time

I don't know what your experience is of watching football, but you certainly cannot judge what your team did last year as the example that Wing teams cant compete. Amherst, Buffalo Gap, Clarke County they lost for one simple reason, it wasnt their style of offense, defense, or special teams. Your players and your team were just that much better

Good luck Friday and good luck the rest of the season. From what I saw last year and what was coming back you should be the #1 team until you lose a football game. VERY talented team

Gunz, actually enjoyed both ya post. i will do some research on these teams. instead of calling it crap. i will say i like offenses that are more beneficial (in my eyes).

Advocate, let's call it what it is. You have an 8-7 record since 99 with 5 of those wins coming last year in the playoffs. You lost to Wilson in 11 and Giles in 13 so apparently the coordinator was not there then that had all the keys to "wing" teams. You have a tremendous talent pool right now and are certainly pounding people but do it for longer than a year or two before you start bumping your chest too much. The one point I do absolutely agree with you on is that you see it consistently at 1 and 2A because it is better for teams that don't have 5-7 true skill players. Enjoy your teams success as they have surely earned it but know that you are no Phoebus either bud.
Pump ya brakes a little. nobody is pumping chest out. I know our talent level will be dropping after this year, but we have great coaches that will be strong enough to compete. All high schools go through cycles. Im just blessed to see Appomattox at a time that will be talked about for years.
Actually, with the Wilson game, that was Ben Martin and his staff and we played them tough. Went down to last seconds. Now the Giles game, I will defend because our coaches were there (the head defensive coordinator is now at J.F. though). I want you to think back to that year. Did we not give you one of the toughest games that year? Could you move the ball consistently? We loss but it came down to a last second FG right? I had Giles fans come up to me and tell me that that Appomattox was toughest team yall played that year. So....give us credit for consistently shutting down an O that dominating all year. That was anybody's game at the end and I congratulate yall for finishing strong. I will stand by this though. That game was the worse reffed game I had ever seen in my time of watching VHSL football (25 years).
I actually applaud your fan base down there and loved the atmosphere other than the horn, lol. I love how yall consistently put a solid team on field year after year, your sideline is filled with kids.

Advocate, two things. First while I do enjoy watching Giles play and they do have a phenomenal fan base, I am actually a Riverheads guy so I took offense to your post right away dismissing the wing style offense. Second thing is that I can't buy the statement that at the scrimmage you guys are so geared towards Buckingham, that you don't even worry about defending the wing. You play whoever is in front of you and try to beat them, of course giving time to more players than may normally see the field. Scrimmages are teaching moments but I don't buy that you don't try to score or stop your opponent from scoring.
Part of my comments were to get under your skin a little too since you really are quite clear anyone that doesn't throw a significant portion of the time is less than desirable. Appo has a great team again this year and should be the favorite to go back to Salem.
As HR6 always says though, a "G" team will win it all, lol.

Why do you think Appomattox crushed Clarke County? You was there! We backed them in a corner to do something they are uncomfortable doing. Wing are live and die on the run. Thats why I call it "crap" and it only works in 1 A and 2 A. I want someone to prove me wrong that there is a team that consistently won championships with Wing formations? I might be wrong and I will stand corrected.
Schedule Courtland and see how well your team defends their Wing T and double wing. They only made a little run to the state semis last year and lost to powerhouse Lake Taylor.

Last edited:
Schedule Courtland and see how well your team defends their Wing T and double wing. They only made a little run to the state semis last year and lost to powerhouse Lake Taylor.

Louisa is still running their Single Wing as well right? They have had some really good seasons in the past with Fischer there. And since Amherst was part of the convo, they run some form of a Wing I think I read, well they did just beat defending state champs a few weeks ago.

I certainly have no problem with people having their opinions and likes and dislikes of things. The only issue that I have ever had with anyone on this offense discussion is people talking down about a certain type of offense. The HR6 "everyone should run I spread" is just crazy, but his opinion. But when talking bad about others or saying they cant win, well I have enough knowledge to step in and set that wrong straight. There are a lot of people throughout the country who love watching these throw every down offenses, well I enjoy watching any football, but I guess I am more old school smash mouth football, just seems more natural to me. To have a run heavy offense, you have to beat up on the guys across from you all game, that is football to me.

Reactions: anon_vu6vqwsr4nf3b
Hicks ran the Wing T for Years in Pulaski....... Easy to defend but not a lot of teams could stop it...
Coach Turner ran the Wing T as well. at Auburn and at Pulaski running a Easy offense to stop. Giles, George Wythe, Pulaski/Auburn, Amherst Clarke County, C-burg, Radford and Riverheads have all run variations of wing t/ Single wing with success over the years. I think Staunton River is running a version with success.

"The only issue that I have ever had with anyone on this offense discussion is people talking down about a certain type of offense." How about this? It's boring. It's predictable. It's gimmicky. It's lazy coaching. It assumes every player that comes up through the system has the same skill-set as those prior. It's awful to watch.

"The only issue that I have ever had with anyone on this offense discussion is people talking down about a certain type of offense." How about this? It's boring. It's predictable. It's gimmicky. It's lazy coaching. It assumes every player that comes up through the system has the same skill-set as those prior. It's awful to watch.

Ok it may be "boring" to watch, but does it not succeed? And no its not a "gimmick", that is why there are tons of schools across the nation who run it and has been run for decades. A gimmick is by definition "the term gimmick refers to a unique or quirky special feature that makes something "stand out" from its contemporaries." So you are about as far off as can be on using the word gimmick. And it is not lazy coaching as you say. There are many intricacies that are used in the blocking, something that has to be done over and over to gain success, so again about as far off from the word lazy as defined.

I have already said this, a lot of people may not like watching it, doesn't mean they are wrong or right, its their opinion. I would much rather watch that then a football game where a team has 40 incomplete passes. There is no rhythm when you see that. So to sum all this up, some people enjoy something, some don't. WOW, what a trivial concept, we dont all thing the same. The nerve of some people to not like every thing their neighbor does

Pioneer101, do you like the paper cut offense of New England Patriots? Although I love watching various versions of the wing at the high school level, I actually do enjoy watching them find multiple ways to utilize the slot and TE. How many high school teams can run that type of offense? I would dare say not many in 1A or 2A can consistently. And to say it's lazy coaching is a misnomer because the blocking is more complex than teams that throw 25-30 bubble screens a game. That does take skill too but not every team can or should run the different spread offenses. To each their own because no one will have their opinion change via this thread.

As frustrating as it for a wing team to get behind and not really have a chance to come back due to not having a passing game. It is as rewarding to hear the moans of passing teams seeing the clock slip away as a team lines up and runs the same play sequence repeatedly as you can't stop them or the clock.

Louisa is still running their Single Wing as well right?
Yeah but we're trying to get away from it eventually, or at least keep it in our back pocket. We're running a no huddle spread/pistol offense now. We also run a lot of single wing plays/schemes out of spread looks, which I've always loved. Hard to stop single wing plays and read option plays out of the same look on the same drive, unable to sub!

Last edited:
Listen, I WOULD PUT LAST YEARS DEFENSE against anyone in the VHSL running a Wing and I guarantee they wouldnt beat us. No Wing team would have stood up to last years D. I wish I could say same this year, but we have some kinks to work out. Still a great D, but giving up on 1-3 plays for big gains have been killing us.

Coach Turner ran the Wing T as well. at Auburn and at Pulaski running a Easy offense to stop. Giles, George Wythe, Pulaski/Auburn, Amherst Clarke County, C-burg, Radford and Riverheads have all run variations of wing t/ Single wing with success over the years. I think Staunton River is running a version with success.
Yes S.River is running it but they got the strongest kid on the team that is a Junior as the feature back. He is a freak of an athlete. Kid is talk and built like a brick craphouse. Strong as an ox. I wish I knew his 40 time though. Looks like a 4.6 guy on film. But they do run it well.

Amherst runs a funky one, lot of switch-a-roos with it. It will go from Wing T to Double Wing, Single Wing. Its hard to gauge what they going to do with it. The kids on that O has to have a good football IQ due to the various formations of the Wing he uses.

Listen, I WOULD PUT LAST YEARS DEFENSE against anyone in the VHSL running a Wing and I guarantee they wouldnt beat us. No Wing team would have stood up to last years D. I wish I could say same this year, but we have some kinks to work out. Still a great D, but giving up on 1-3 plays for big gains have been killing us.

I like your enthusiam, and I won't pretend to know/have seen even half the teams in the state. I have probably seen around 50 or so teams over the years and I would have to say that I have seen quite a few teams with more talent than Appo. Probably about a handful. I don't remember what any certain team ran, and this is over a long period of time, but they were not the most talented team I have seen. You have to think that a team bigger in size SHOULD have more athletes to chose from, and thus be able to put a more talented team on the field. I havent seen Courtland, so I don't know and you could be right, but I would be almost sure they play better teams than Appomattox. And losing to Lake Taylor is much more impressive than beating Buffalo Gap or Clarke (no offense to those schools.) Those schools just don't have the athletes to keep up. And from what I remember, the championship game was fairly close until 4th quarter.

Don't let beating Amherst fool you, because Amherst wasn't good last year. Courtland was very good, with speed and power.

And from whatI remember, the championship game was fairly close until 4th quarter.
EXACTLY!!!! Penalties and our O wasnt clicking with fumbled snaps. When it click, it was lights out. What im trying to say in that game our D was dominant! They kept us in the game.

I will say again and I will go to the grave on it. I would put last years D against any WING system and we would beat them if we could at least score 21 on O. ANYONE IN THE STATE!!!

Reactions: Keith_Stone33
Don't let beating Amherst fool you, because Amherst wasn't good last year. Courtland was very good, with speed and power.
They wasnt good? OH now they wasnt good huh???? Funny, because when we played them everyone said we was going to get smashed! They did not graduate anyone??? They got same backfield soooooo....what are you saying???? They have 28 seniors this year. Should I remind you of the score? We was playing reserves after halftime.

They wasnt good? OH now they wasnt good huh???? Funny, because when we played them everyone said we was going to get smashed! They did not graduate anyone??? They got same backfield soooooo....what are you saying???? They have 28 seniors this year. Should I remind you of the score? We was playing reserves after halftime.
Im not taking anything from Appomattox,we wouldn't have won anyway.Jerry Page had 5 carries in that game because of a injury a few games before that and Keshon Turner only had 4 carries and 2 passes cause of a broken leg.The score was 28-0 at halftime,is there anything else you want to bring up from last year.

Im not taking anything from Appomattox,we wouldn't have won anyway.Jerry Page had 5 carries in that game because of a injury a few games before that and Keshon Turner only had 4 carries and 2 passes cause of a broken leg.The score was 28-0 at halftime,is there anything else you want to bring up from last year.
@AdvocateOfMany434 I wasn't one of the posters saying Amherst was good, though. I watched their game against JF last year and thought they looked pretty average.
The only teams Amherst lost to in VA was Appo,Salem 2x and JF.I don't know there combined record but it had to be good.

you are 4A though? We nothing but a 2A school.....your backups suppose to be able to beat us down. your school population is 1500 and ours is 700.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT