ADVERTISEMENT

All Seven Shenandoah District Teams Set for Friday Openers

longtimerhsfan

VaPreps All Region
Dec 12, 2006
Once we get into the flow of the regular season, most Friday nights will feature one or more of the Shenandoah teams taking a night off, due to scheduling issues. But of course every one of them is anxious to get off to a good start and therefore all seven will be in action this Friday the 25th. For local fans who might be neutral and just want to see a good game, there will be home games played at Fort Defiance, Wilson, and Stuarts Draft, with the latter most likely the best local game of the night. The other four teams are all hitting the road for their season openers. Here is the line-up, along with my own personal surely-you-don't-expect-me-to-get-them-all-right-this-early-in-the-season predictions......

BUFFALO GAP AT JAMES RIVER: I believe these two have opened against each other for at least the past two or three seasons, so they should know one another pretty well by this time. The Bison have won the last two I think but word on the street is that this could be a rebuilding year for the Gap, so just based on that particular rumor, I think the betting money might be on the Knights this time around.

TURNER ASHBY AT FORT DEFIANCE: Although I am suggesting Stuarts Draft as THE place to be in Augusta County Friday for a good game, this one will be a close second because it does feature a pair of neighborhood rivals. There may be a county line separating them, but you can bet these kids and fans know one another from church and work, so the stands should be packed on both sides. This is a tough one to pick because TA gave both Riverheads and Central a good scrimmage (more on those two in a minute) whereas enthusiasm is high for this to possibly be a break out year for the Indians. Based on the Knights' decent showing in those two scrimmages, and I believe they are picked high among Valley District teams this season, I will go with them to come away with a tough road win.

RIVERHEADS AT CENTRAL: This is no doubt the most talked-about game of the opening weekend, mainly because both made it all the way to Salem last season and each one has high hopes to be the last team standing in late November as the Region 2-B champion. Each one has a returning stud running back who will be counted upon heavily all season, not just Friday night. So the key for both teams this year will be how much support those two stars will receive. Does either team have a reliable second or third back who can take the pressure off? Does either have a strong passing game to complement that rushing attack? Which team has the stingiest defense? I see that in the Pick Em contest that has started, RHS is getting most of the votes, but of course Central will have home field advantage. However Gladiator fans do travel well, so that home field advantage may not be that evident. Of course you know that I HAVE to go with the Big Red or they will never allow me in Greenville again. The biggest surprise in this game will be if either one really dominates the other.

STAUNTON AT MADISON: This might be the most intriguing match-up of the evening, simply because these are two teams that you would never think of ever meeting in any sport. No offense to either one, but they just don't mix. Staunton is my pick as a team to exceed expectations this year and rise up a notch or two in the district standings. Madison meanwhile was once a powerhouse and has the state trophies in the hallway to prove it, but I believe they have been down in recent years. So I am picking The Storm to win this one and let's just hope that nobody has to play Friday night in an "actual" storm!

KING WILLIAM AT STUARTS DRAFT: As I have already referenced, if you are just a casual fan and you don't feel up to traveling any distance Friday night, but yet you have the "itch" to get the season underway, this looks like the game to go to after stopping off for burgers and ice cream along the way. KW is a perennial powerhouse down their way, and Stuarts Draft is being touted as a serious contender that just might be able to stop that runaway Riverheads train this year. (And remember they too are in Region 2 B.) As for Friday night, this one is a real toss-up, and I would be surprised if anybody has any definite insight as to who will win. I will go with the Cougars just because it would be nice to have them and Riverheads each with a sparkling record when they meet once and maybe twice down the road.

WAYNESBORO AT ALLEGHANY: This is another match-up that just doesn't sound like the two teams have much in common, but I am sure each will give it 100%. Waynesboro is expected to struggle again this year, so any win they can pick up will be a big one. As for Alleghany, this is their first year with the combined schools trying to get to know and hopefully bond with one another. Due to Waynesboro's issues, this looks like the easiest game of these seven to predict, so I will go with the home team.

CHARLOTTESVILLE AT WILSON: Hmm, yet ANOTHER game in which you just don't think of these two as being natural rivals. On this side of the mountain, we don't hear much about Charlottesville, so I am not sure what kind of team they had last year or what this year's expectations are. As for Wilson, there is a new coach on the scene, which can sometimes be a tough adjustment, but at other times can be just what the doctor ordered. Without really having a concrete reason for this pick, I will go with Charlottesville to have a nice ride back over the mountain.

To summarize, I believe that gives me only three wins for home teams here on this opening weekend but at least nobody will be having Homecoming this early in the season! Best of luck and safe travels for everyone!

Reactions: BGfootball95
Thanks Longtimer. I like your picks and comments but I will go with Gap over JR and Wilson over Charlottesville. KW at Draft and Riverheads at Central are the toughest for me. I don't know enough about KW and I am hearing Draft had some players not come back from last year. I think Riverheads wins but could be tight defensive game, either way, I believe they will playing again much later in the year.

Always love the game previews and picks you provide leading up to and then the recaps after games have been played.

BUFFALO GAP AT JAMES RIVER:I believe Gap has a lot to replace and JR was scrappy last year, so i am going to go with JR.

TURNER ASHBY AT FORT DEFIANCE:I think Fort is going to be a tough game for everyone they play this year and are putting together a really tough team, but I also think that TA is going to be a little bit much for them at this time.

RIVERHEADS AT CENTRAL: I would love to see these two go at it. Going to be a special game with 2 great backs. Purely going with my gut on this one and saying Riverheads.

STAUNTON AT MADISON: Staunton is replacing a lot on offense and Madison had a decent year last year as well. which team lost the least will win and I believe that will be the Storm.

KING WILLIAM AT STUARTS DRAFT: King William has been a top team for several years and so has Draft. Draft dropped a bit last year and I have heard mixed opinions on them this year. It's a long drive, but I say King William.

WAYNESBORO AT ALLEGHANY: Waynesboro needs to figure it out one season, but this is not it. Alleghany and Covington combining should make for a pretty good team. I say Waynesboro gets dominated.

CHARLOTTESVILLE AT WILSON: C'ville hasn't had much success recently or not that I know of. Wilson was good last year. Both teams have new coaches. I say C'ville tops Wilson. Coach Woody came from EC Glass in Lynchburg and built that team into a power, so I think he will at C'ville too.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT