ADVERTISEMENT

All this Appo talk....

Wow!!! It was very unusual. Thanks for the insight on reasons why they would do that.
Adding to what trumpet said. Tom Turner actually got a delay of game penalty once because the buses got caught in traffic and missed the 7:30 kickoff. He did win 5 state championships as a coach, so I guess there was a method to his madness. Lol.

Reactions: Stabler1980
The late team arrival worried me a bit. After waiting in the stands for so long, the last thing we want to hear is that the game will be delayed because a team couldn't get there. We had one last year with Dan River being late and this year with Virginia, both caused by traffic accidents and heavy traffic.

The Union fans really traveled well. That's a long way to go for a game!

That fast offsides kick after halftime was a bit of trickery we had not seen before. You almost caught us napping on that one.

I agree, the score didn't really show how strong Union played. Hats off to you guys. Kids played hard and didn't give up. Fun game to watch.

The late team arrival worried me a bit. After waiting in the stands for so long, the last thing we want to hear is that the game will be delayed because a team couldn't get there. We had one last year with Dan River being late and this year with Virginia, both caused by traffic accidents and heavy traffic.

That fast offsides kick after halftime was a bit of trickery we had not seen before. You almost caught us napping on that one.

I agree, the score didn't really show how strong Union played. Hats off to you guys. Kids played hard and didn't give up. Fun game to watch.
I thought it was Giles, Not Virginia High with all the traffic. Because a few Giles fans said they turned around after hearing the score when they had an hour to go for the game. I could be loosing it though. lol,
Yes I do remember Dan River being late though last year....They also took and early exit on the game before (Halftime), because they didnt want to finish the game due to storms. Only game that didnt get finished that night.

Adding to what trumpet said. Tom Turner actually got a delay of game penalty once because the buses got caught in traffic and missed the 7:30 kickoff. He did win 5 state championships as a coach, so I guess there was a method to his madness. Lol.
Thanks for the explanation, I was in stands and I was like, its 30 minutes before game time and I started asking fans, where the other team was, they just shrugged shoulders. I was looking at the baseball fields and the practice field for Union. Then I spoke to the Principal when I went to concession stand. He said its a tradition for them to warm up on another field and show up last minute, so they warmed up at Rustburg. LOL, I went back and told fans what was going on. Had one fan say, "RUSTBURG? Why would they let them?" I replied, "Well, they are our rivals." I thought it was cool and not the norm, added a little spice to the atmosphere. I also loved how the fans was at the game, great people and I can say same for Giles. Met some good down to earth people that loves football. Met a dude named "stork" and we had a great conversation.

They way you explained it @Union_Fan, I would love to see that at a home game. Great stuff! Sounds like it would get yall hype.

I thought union played tough, but not well if that makes sense.they put together a few solid drives but fizzled out before they could really get a good rythym on appo defense. Defensively I thought they started the game well. The raiders had 3 and 13 I believe and hit that 70+ yard td and I felt that really got them rolling. From there on union was stuck trying to play catch up and you just can't beat them playing that way. Four turnovers didn't help matters any for the bears. I thought it was obvious that Appomattox had the better team absolutely, but feel union was closer talent wise than the scoreboard indicated.i feel if a few things had worked a little better for union it could've been a 31-14 or 38-21 type game, but again appo just played almost flawlessly. I feel if any team is going to beatb them they need to win the turnover battle by at least 2 and jump out to a decent lead. If they get up and are able to play their game plan, they won't be beat. I think they're very beatable but it will take an extremely talented team and well executed game plan.

Reactions: Hburghokie

I agree OSRaider, the score didnt tell how good this team actually was. I dont think there was a team out there that could contain our QB like Union did. Scruggs is always going to get a few yards rushing. He was forced to use his arm or let our RBs do the ground attack. Scruggs can FLY when he gets into the open field. I do know the secondary for Union needed some work, they didnt cover well at all. Scruggs created a lot of time with his feat on a few plays and there is no way a team can guard our receivers that long (anything over 5 seconds in the pocket or scrambling, you are in trouble, be aware of the long bomb).

Last edited:
Dude, I'll ask you too, we're you at the game? You're spouting out final stats but if you were there you'd know Richlands trailed most of the fist half and only lead by 3 at the break. So again "complete" domination? If you're still not convinced than I'll put it another way. Would Richlands want that same performance in the upcoming week against Stuarts Draft or in two weeks in the State Championship? Careful how you answer because if Richlands plays like that in the first half against Appomattox then they probably will dominate the 2nd half because it will be in garbage time against the Raiders JV.

Did you even watch the game? That was as close as you can get to domination. They allowed 1 long TD on the first play and that was it except for the TD at the end of the game. The 3 points came after a turnover around the 20 and they held them. 5 first downs and 160 yds of total offense is pretty impressive against Graham cuz they do have talent and speed. You just couldnt see it cuz Rlands played well on the line and in coverage and im sure most Graham fans would agree. So i guess what you are saying, since Appo also gave up a big play against Union on the first series, is that if they play like that against Goochland, Appo will playing against their jv in the 2nd half. Youre either delusional or just a troll.

Take away their 1st play from scrimmage (who expects a QB keeper?) - 4 first downs and 105 yds of offense.

Thanks for the explanation, I was in stands and I was like, its 30 minutes before game time and I started asking fans, where the other team was, they just shrugged shoulders. I was looking at the baseball fields and the practice field for Union. Then I spoke to the Principal when I went to concession stand. He said its a tradition for them to warm up on another field and show up last minute, so they warmed up at Rustburg. LOL, I went back and told fans what was going on. Had one fan say, "RUSTBURG? Why would they let them?" I replied, "Well, they are our rivals." I thought it was cool and not the norm, added a little spice to the atmosphere. I also loved how the fans was at the game, great people and I can say same for Giles. Met some good down to earth people that loves football. Met a dude named "stork" and we had a great conversation.

They way you explained it @Union_Fan, I would love to see that at a home game. Great stuff! Sounds like it would get yall hype.
Our folks our fanatical. No doubt. "Stork" is a bit older than me, but I have several family members that know him pretty well.
They warmed up at Gretna last week when we played Dan River.

The entrance is for the fans, like someone else mentioned, but the kids feed off of that too. The kids mention the fans all the time in newspaper interviews. It does add to the atmosphere. I had seen pics of the prayer circle that the Appo players do, but to see it in person was very cool. I liked it!

I feel that Union is a better team than the score indicated, but Appo was the best team that the Bears have ever played. No doubt whatsoever.

Our folks our fanatical. No doubt. "Stork" is a bit older than me, but I have several family members that know him pretty well.
They warmed up at Gretna last week when we played Dan River.

The entrance is for the fans, like someone else mentioned, but the kids feed off of that too. The kids mention the fans all the time in newspaper interviews. It does add to the atmosphere. I had seen pics of the prayer circle that the Appo players do, but to see it in person was very cool. I liked it!

I feel that Union is a better team than the score indicated, but Appo was the best team that the Bears have ever played. No doubt whatsoever.
I agree Union is better team than score reflected. Turnovers made things about 2 Td's more. It's the most Appo has had to work since about 5 games ago. Scores don't always reflect a teams effort. I'd be interested in hearing a union take on Richland vs Appo. I was impressed with fans, band, team and coaches. Class act all the way.

I agree Union is better team than score reflected. Turnovers made things about 2 Td's more. It's the most Appo has had to work since about 5 games ago. Scores don't always reflect a teams effort. I'd be interested in hearing a union take on Richland vs Appo. I was impressed with fans, band, team and coaches. Class act all the way.
Assuming both teams make it to the championship game, Richlands will be MUCH better in the passing game than Union. If you saw Richlands/Appomattox last year then you have already seen what they bring there because they basically have the QB and receivers from last year's team.

They also have a lot more team speed than Union, so they will be able to cover Appo's receivers better.

In week 2 Richlands had no run game, but it's my understanding that they have improved tremendously in that area. They are notorious for improving significantly throughout the season.

I could be wrong about this, but I think Richlands will be able to contain Appo's run game slightly better than Union did.

It will come down to how well Appo can shut down the pass or get to the QB as far as stopping Richlands' offense.

As long as the Raiders mix up their play calling as good as they did against Union then they definitely won't have any trouble scoring on the Blues.

Assuming both teams make it to the championship game, Richlands will be MUCH better in the passing game than Union. If you saw Richlands/Appomattox last year then you have already seen what they bring there because they basically have the QB and receivers from last year's team.

They also have a lot more team speed than Union, so they will be able to cover Appo's receivers better.

In week 2 Richlands had no run game, but it's my understanding that they have improved tremendously in that area. They are notorious for improving significantly throughout the season.

I could be wrong about this, but I think Richlands will be able to contain Appo's run game slightly better than Union did.

It will come down to how well Appo can shut down the pass or get to the QB as far as stopping Richlands' offense.

As long as the Raiders mix up their play calling as good as they did against Union then they definitely won't have any trouble scoring on the Blues.

One game at a time here in Tazewell county. Focused on SD right now.

Did you even watch the game? That was as close as you can get to domination. They allowed 1 long TD on the first play and that was it except for the TD at the end of the game. The 3 points came after a turnover around the 20 and they held them. 5 first downs and 160 yds of total offense is pretty impressive against Graham cuz they do have talent and speed. You just couldnt see it cuz Rlands played well on the line and in coverage and im sure most Graham fans would agree. So i guess what you are saying, since Appo also gave up a big play against Union on the first series, is that if they play like that against Goochland, Appo will playing against their jv in the 2nd half. Youre either delusional or just a troll.
Ouch, a Troll. I've probably been called worse but I think I'll leave it as we agree to disagree with what each other considers to be complete domination. I guess if we all agreed we wouldn't be on this site to begin with. Best of luck Saturday to the blue tornado.

I am a Powell Valley graduate. For the past couple of years, Union is reminding us of the way things were when Appalachia and Powell Valley were always in the conversation in Divisions 1 and 2 respectively. I wasn't at this year's game against Appo or last year's game against Clarke. A teacher's salary does not always allow for 5 hour drives every weekend lol. I have been told that Appomattox was really just that good. Union seemed like they made a good effort at times. They were just outmatched and completely outplayed by a much better team. Plain and simple. This was the first team to EVER shut Union out.

I guess what I'm really trying to say is, Appomattox IS that good. A lot of us hoped it would have been closer with Union hopefully finding a way to win. It's hard to beat a team like that. Especially on their own home field. It sounds like Appomattox has a great group of fans and players.

Yep, it was Giles that was running late last week. Sorry for the mistake, all those SWVA teams are starting to look alike. ;-)

I was thinking about calling the Governor and seeing if we can get another lane installed on I-81 just for emergencies like football game traffic.

What is the VHSL rule on a team that is running late? Is it a referee's call to delay the game or the AD? I always wondered bow that worked.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT