ADVERTISEMENT

Altavista Fb Job Open

Altavista doesnt need a smooth transition they need an overhaul. They have everything to be successful in 1A
They rose from the ashes once before but I think Thornhill had a lot to do with that. The town supports the kids and the school. Just a small school though, at one time it was a second smallest single A in the state.

They rose from the ashes once before but I think Thornhill had a lot to do with that. The town supports the kids and the school. Just a small school though, at one time it was a second smallest single A in the state.
On top of that they are also playing a heavy 2A schedule and even 3A competition at some points. 1A is interesting. I feel for the teams that have to play in heavy 2A districts while being smaller, but I guess if Riverheads and their 474 can do it in the Shenandoah then no one has an excuse, but it's interesting compared to other districts in the state where they have a lot more 1A competition located near by. For example in SWVA where you can play a schedule that might include a lot of local 1A teams

Reactions: Bo Bob
I remember they had withdrew from the Dogwood for awhile and played an independent schedule for a couple years. I spent 4 years there and I think the best we went was 6-4 and that was with a pretty special running back named, Eric Pannell.

They made a great hire. I think he will do a great job getting kids out and helping bring the program back to top of 1A. Don't want to let the name out just yet out of respect for him.

They made a great hire. I think he will do a great job getting kids out and helping bring the program back to top of 1A. Don't want to let the name out just yet out of respect for him.
How about giving a hint because I hear they have one more interview today.

Reactions: vector09
My assumption would be find out next week as the school board meets next Monday. Same thing I think you’ll see in most rural counties is they’ll announce after they get board approval so I always tend to look for board meetings that are near by

Heard Altavista has made their choice for new coach. I'm confused on the direction and overall care about the football program, seems like they don't want to improve. There was at least 2- 3 applicants who were young , energetic , and have ability to connect with kids while also connecting to the community they passed over. Add in those guys can also coach. Makes you question things.

Sounds like they really dropped the ball 😂 must not be to proud of the hire!! It's a shame it's not what you know it's WHO you know with that being said good luck with that SMH......

Reactions: knightfan64
Sounds like they really dropped the ball 😂 must not be to proud of the hire!! It's a shame it's not what you know it's WHO you know with that being said good luck with that SMH......
Absolutely. It also doesn't hurt to share an office with the AD for the past 3/4 months to do an "internship". The whole interview process was a deception; it's been Deloach's job since the beginning.

Too bad the other applicants also wanted the Glass job. They hired a guy who has built his life in Altavista, who has a great knowledge of football, the kids love him, and he took his track program to three back to back to back Region championships and had multiple state champions. Doesn’t sound like someone they wouldn’t be proud to hire - someone like that is great for a program. Someone who lives in the community and actually wants to have the community help the program grow. Sometimes who you know pays off, and sometimes it helps to not go 1-9 in your last year as head coach either.

Hey buddy! Wouldn't you want a 4A job over a 1A job, if you had the choice? But it doesn't diminish the fact the other candidates wasted their time because of the "good ol boy system".
I'm sure he is a good coach, never said he's wasn't. But I notice that you talked an awful lot about his track experience but not much about football. I'm sure you're aware it's a head football coach job, not a track job. That post would probably be more suited for the Winter (indoor) or Spring (outdoor) forms.
Lastly what does bringing up the previous coaches record have anything to do with the other candidates not getting a fair shake from the start? I have no problem with coach Cox being let go. I dont believe he produced a winning season in the 5 or so season he was there. I just have a problem with the system being rigged and the other candidates not having a fair shot.

Too bad the other applicants also wanted the Glass job. They hired a guy who has built his life in Altavista, who has a great knowledge of football, the kids love him, and he took his track program to three back to back to back Region championships and had multiple state champions. Doesn’t sound like someone they wouldn’t be proud to hire - someone like that is great for a program. Someone who lives in the community and actually wants to have the community help the program grow. Sometimes who you know pays off, and sometimes it helps to not go 1-9 in your last year as head coach either.
Track isn't football!! Sounds like the classic "Good old boy system to me but that's just my opinion.
Hey buddy! Wouldn't you want a 4A job over a 1A job, if you had the choice? But it doesn't diminish the fact the other candidates wasted their time because of the "good ol boy system".
I'm sure he is a good coach, never said he's wasn't. But I notice that you talked an awful lot about his track experience but not much about football. I'm sure you're aware it's a head football coach job, not a track job. That post would probably be more suited for the Winter (indoor) or Spring (outdoor) forms.
Lastly what does bringing up the previous coaches record have anything to do with the other candidates not getting a fair shake from the start? I have no problem with coach Cox being let go. I dont believe he produced a winning season in the 5 or so season he was there. I just have a problem with the system being rigged and the other candidates not having a fair shot

Lastly what does bringing up the previous coaches record have anything to do with the other candidates not getting a fair shake from the start? I have no problem with coach Cox being let go. I dont believe he produced a winning season in the 5 or so season he was there. I just have a problem with the system being rigged and the other candidates not having a fair shot.
🎯 🎯

Just curious 🤨 you seem to know a lot about the hiring process. Where you on the hiring committee??

Track has everything to do with football. Who are your football players? Most of the best football players are highly decorated runners. Peep the stats of the years Deloach was the “football” DC, the only reason Altavista was relevant in most of the games. And he was a very successful OC at Jefferson Forest, a 4A school. But too bad those JV coaches got passed over. Sounds to me like the process worked and they picked the best candidate.

I was going to also mention all the track accolade talk and the lack of football resume building stats. I work with a head track coach that has district, regional, state championships and athletes now at the D1 level, but he has zero business as a football coach. Kids love him too. His track participation numbers are insane.

I have no dog in the fight nor do I know who was hired. I just know I've been around long enough to know inside good old boy hires and no mention of football stats usually ends badly.

H
I was going to also mention all the track accolade talk and the lack of football resume building stats. I work with a head track coach that has district, regional, state championships and athletes now at the D1 level, but he has zero business as a football coach. Kids love him too. His track participation numbers are insane.

I have no dog in the fight nor do I know who was hired. I just know I've been around long enough to know inside good old boy hires and no mention of football stats usually ends badly.
He has an extensive football background, if you took the time to do your research.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT