ADVERTISEMENT

Altavista vs Sussex

No disrespect to Sussex but they almost lost to WC at home last night.

WC had the lead near the end of the 3rd Q. The game was tied near the end of the 4th Q.

Sussex scored late in the game to take the lead. WC were still within a TD and a conversion until the last few seconds of the game when WC threw a pic 6.

I would still probably have Sussex as the slight fav over A-town but mainly because they are at home.

Should be a good one!

Last edited:
Anyone can be beat that's why we play the game. This is playoff football it's one and done for everyone throw the records out the window. And don't get caught looking ahead.

Reactions: TS69 and uvacavs1

WC had the lead near the end of the 3rd Q. The game was tied near the end of the 4th Q.

Sussex scored late in the game to take the lead. WC were still within a TD and a conversion until the last few seconds of the game when WC threw a pic 6.

I would still probably have Sussex as the slight fav over A-town but mainly because they are at home.

Should be a good one!
This guy hates Sussex so bad it’s criminal , Sam son you jealous lol. Good teams win tough games . Good coaching , great tradition, solid winners and community loved is Sussex football , sorry son you don’t have that , maybe if your squad can perennially claimed as a winning program over 40 plus years, then maybe you can get yours boys known , bumping your gums not going to make that happen son , I call you son because Sussex is your DADDY.

I’ll say this traveling to Sussex imo is a considerable home field advantage for the Tigers. Altavista pulled it out last night on a Hail Mary in Brunswick. WC, like I said previously, much better than the record shows. Took Sussex, Gretna, Chatham, Lunenburg, and Altavista all to the wire. All playoff teams, just came up short. Trutiger is correct. Good teams find ways to win!

I’ll say this traveling to Sussex imo is a considerable home field advantage for the Tigers. Altavista pulled it out last night on a Hail Mary in Brunswick. WC, like I said previously, much better than the record shows. Took Sussex, Gretna, Chatham, Lunenburg, and Altavista all to the wire. All playoff teams, just came up short. Trutiger is correct. Good teams find ways to win!

Should be a good one!
WC would of beat Northumberland by 30 lol.

This guy hates Sussex so bad it’s criminal , Sam son you jealous lol. Good teams win tough games . Good coaching , great tradition, solid winners and community loved is Sussex football , sorry son you don’t have that , maybe if your squad can perennially claimed as a winning program over 40 plus years, then maybe you can get yours boys known , bumping your gums not going to make that happen son , I call you son because Sussex is your DADDY.
wow - hmmm...interesting... the 6 NND teams v the old Tri-Rivers teams in ALL sports (including football) for the last 25 years - do we even need to bother with a comparison?

Oh, that's right... It's all good. I'm sorry, buddy.

Yes, you are right, Essex will most likely defeat Northumberland, maybe by a very large amount.

Good luck to your Tigers! They will be great! I am sure that I am really wrong about them being a tad overrated. They will easily beat up on Altavista and then soundly defeat the Region A Champion!

All I got to say Northumberland might get over hyped some years and get beat up by Essex. But you referring to Sussex as Northumberland’s daddy just remember history and y’all are Essex’s I’ll be nice and just say FEMALE DOG

Northumberland is legit this year, and good enough to beat anybody in Region B. Essex will have its hands full Saturday. The Indians have more talent than the Trojans, no question. BUT defense wins championships this time of the year.

You have to give the edge to Essex on both defense and coaching. They took a lancaster team that put up 28 points a few weeks ago against them and held them scoreless Friday. I think Essex makes the adjustments needed and meets Sussex in Tappahannock for the semi finals.

Northumberland has a dynamic offense, but their defense is atrocious to say the least. With their talent on offense, if their defense was just average, they could win a state championship

Northumberland is legit this year, and good enough to beat anybody in Region B. Essex will have its hands full Saturday. The Indians have more talent than the Trojans, no question. BUT defense wins championships this time of the year.

You have to give the edge to Essex on both defense and coaching. They took a lancaster team that put up 28 points a few weeks ago against them and held them scoreless Friday. I think Essex makes the adjustments needed and meets Sussex in Tappahannock for the semi final.

Well said, RappriverEHS.

NHS actually has more speed than Essex this year (and seems to have even more offensive skill players/weapons than Essex!). That is probably the first time that this has been the case in my experience. That is why I give them a small chance but decent this year to pull the upset.

However, Essex has the powerhouse D and is more physical overall on both sides of the ball plus that power running attack.

Reactions: RappriverEHS
I am afraid that Essex will just run, run, then run it again. Smashmouth old school physical football. Maybe toss a few passes in there but only if needed.

Can the NHS D make enough stops before they get frustrated? Possible but gonna be tough.

Hey, it's almost the reverse of the last few years.

Essex's style this year is more like the Riverheads Machine but with the Essex swagger. Run, clock control, 1st downs, defense. Repeat. Win. Ha.

Reactions: BleedingNavy
I am afraid that Essex will just run, run, then run it again. Smashmouth old school physical football. Maybe toss a few passes in there but only if needed.

Can the NHS D make enough stops before they get frustrated? Possible but gonna be tough.

Hey, it's almost the reverse of the last few years.

Essex's style this year is more like the Riverheads Machine but with the Essex swagger. Run, clock control, 1st downs, defense. Repeat. Win. Ha.
Kudos to Coach Jones for adjusting to his personnel. They run the old Roger Brookes style King William double wing

Reactions: uvacavs1
Northumberland has a dynamic offense, but their defense is atrocious to say the least. With their talent on offense, if their defense was just average, they could win a state championship
Oh my gosh, were you and RappRiverEHS sitting with us last night at Northumberland?

What you both said were the exact comments NHS people were making in our group ha!

• Haha
Reactions: kwhs95fan
Oh my gosh, were you and RappRiverEHS sitting with us last night at Northumberland?

What you both said were the exact comments NHS people were making in our group ha!
Hahaha. As a Roger Brookes guy myself, I love seeing teams run any version of the double wing and single wing. The worst 4 letter word there is to us is the word "pass" 😂

Reactions: uvacavs1
wow - hmmm...interesting... the 6 NND teams v the old Tri-Rivers teams in ALL sports (including football) for the last 25 years - do we even need to bother with a comparison?

Oh, that's right... It's all good. I'm sorry, buddy.

Yes, you are right, Essex will most likely defeat Northumberland, maybe by a very large amount.

Good luck to your Tigers! They will be great! I am sure that I am really wrong about them being a tad overrated. They will easily beat up on Altavista and then soundly defeat the Region A Champion!
Nothing is easy this time of year sir, you haven’t been here enough to understand that fan boy

Hopefully Essex is running it as well as his version. This offense looks the most disciplined I’ve seen in years. Quick to get the play in and very clean with the ball. A HUGE difference since the first few weeks
Yes, the improved discipline on Essex is also why I made the Riverheads analogy. Good work to the coaching staff on that as well. Not always as easy to implement as many people think.

It showed up near the end of that wild state title run, brother.

That last State Championship in 2014 down in Salem v Thornhill and A-Town was a 22-20 loss but a classic battle.

Now a few years before in the State title game v Goochland, yea that was bad....

Reactions: RappriverEHS
Running teams that can play defense win in late November and December period. It’s colder and everyone has bumps and bruises from the season that they have to deal with. Complex systems and high volume passing teams generally don’t work this time of year at the lower divisions of high school football. There are exceptions but they are rare and only if the passing team has a quality defense. The D doesn’t have to be early 2000’s Ravens but it cant allow 20+ a game either.

All I got to say Northumberland might get over hyped some years and get beat up by Essex. But you referring to Sussex as Northumberland’s daddy just remember history and y’all are Essex’s I’ll be nice and just say FEMALE DOG
You guys always crawling in Essex jock when you need a winner on your side . Enjoy your miracle season. You will be practicing free throws next week.

It’s okay to admit I’m right. I admit we’ll probably get beat. But hey we might be practicing basketball next week, Sussex won’t be far behind at the hands of daddy Essex. Guess then y’all will just be practicing for another Essex ass whopping in football next year since y’all are irrelevant in every other sport.
You must just graduated from high school lol

Running teams that can play defense win in late November and December period. It’s colder and everyone has bumps and bruises from the season that they have to deal with. Complex systems and high volume passing teams generally don’t work this time of year at the lower divisions of high school football. There are exceptions but they are rare and only if the passing team has a quality defense. The D doesn’t have to be early 2000’s Ravens but it cant allow 20+ a game either.
Exactly....

Even if NHS can somehow pull the upset over Essex (which again, they actually possibly could this year), I would still be worried about a game in the cold & winds of Salem against any seasoned & disciplined western heavy run programs.

Again, the State Championship game v Goochland comes to mind (however, the weather was not the issue on that particular day).

Poor weather is the enemy to high school teams that rely heavily on speed, passing and skill weapons and the friend to smashmouth disciplined programs.

I think we will see a different Sussex team this week they almost got caught looking ahead at the Essex game.
They didn’t get caught looking ahead WC is a good team and they fought like hell to win that game. Altavista going to be even tougher for Sussex. This time of year all these games are hard.

Altavista can score points, but so can Sussex. Sussex has the #2 defense behind Essex in my opinion.
When it comes to the playoffs, I'll go with the team that has the better defense and can score points.
My opinion, Sussex wins in a close game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT