ADVERTISEMENT

Altavista Fb Job Open

H

He has an extensive football background, if you took the time to do your research.
Yeah, so I did a quick Google search and nothing came up related to football. Just track. Since you mentioned his track program history, how about sharing some of his football qualifications.

I hate to do it and wasn't going to, but since you came at me with your snarky response...I agree that track doesn't have much to do with football and yeah some football guys do track, but track speed and football speed are so different unless all you do is jet sweeps. I know a lot of football/track coaches who agree. Heck, wrestling is better for football players than track.

Yeah, so I did a quick Google search and nothing came up related to football. Just track. Since you mentioned his track program history, how about sharing some of his football qualifications.

I hate to do it and wasn't going to, but since you came at me with your snarky response...I agree that track doesn't have much to do with football and yeah some football guys do track, but track speed and football speed are so different unless all you do is jet sweeps. I know a lot of football/track coaches who agree. Heck, wrestling is better for football players than track.
I’m also confused why it’s an issue if any candidates also had applied for other positions anywhere else. As a professional adult when u job search you generally apply to multiple places that you feel interested in ….. interested meaning you would like to work there and that specific job. Pretty sure none of the coaches from glass he refers to were “JV” coaches either. Maybe he himself should do his research. One has been a varsity assistant at glass for some time . The other was previously a Brookville Varsity assistant for years and then a varsity assistant at glass for two years. As suggested from other bloggers on this chat and if true about the AD already knowing he was picking this coach makes sense. Doing a little research he himself wasn’t that successful in his own coaching career!

Last edited:
Reactions: BigDaddyFromThe434
Track has everything to do with football. Who are your football players? Most of the best football players are highly decorated runners. Peep the stats of the years Deloach was the “football” DC, the only reason Altavista was relevant in most of the games. And he was a very successful OC at Jefferson Forest, a 4A school. But too bad those JV coaches got passed over. Sounds to me like the process worked and they picked the best candidate.
What is Deloach's first name and what years was he at JF?

In his 3 years as a DC his defenses gave up just over 30 points per game. Sounds like Dogwood offenses will have fun this year.

Track has everything to do with football. Who are your football players? Most of the best football players are highly decorated runners. Peep the stats of the years Deloach was the “football” DC, the only reason Altavista was relevant in most of the games. And he was a very successful OC at Jefferson Forest, a 4A school. But too bad those JV coaches got passed over. Sounds to me like the process worked and they picked the best candidate.
From my understanding, the couple of coaches that were passed over were not "JV coaches". The names I've heard are very respected names in this area. Like others have said, it's unfortunate that the other candidates were not given a fair try at it. Best of luck to the coach hired though!

Reactions: 434Mama
In his 3 years as a DC his defenses gave up just over 30 points per game. Sounds like Dogwood offenses will have fun this year.
Andy Cox was hired in 2018.
Average points allowed by season
2018: 43
2019: 39
2020 (played spring of 2021): 38
2021: 28
2022: 37

I believe Deloach was the DC for 2020 (spring 2021) and 2021 fall and was on the defensive staff 2018-2019. Nothing impressive about those years but 2021 fall did show some improvement. Maybe some slight improvement is what Altavista wants. We'll see if it happens. So what does this new coach do? Did he play in college? What does he teach?

Andy Cox was hired in 2018.
Average points allowed by season
2018: 43
2019: 39
2020 (played spring of 2021): 38
2021: 28
2022: 37

I believe Deloach was the DC for 2020 (spring 2021) and 2021 fall and was on the defensive staff 2018-2019. Nothing impressive about those years but 2021 fall did show some improvement. Maybe some slight improvement is what Altavista wants. We'll see if it happens. So what does this new coach do? Did he play in college? What does he teach?
From my understanding he doesn't teach anything because he doesn't have a degree.

Reactions: BigDaddyFromThe434
From my understanding he doesn't teach anything because he doesn't have a degree.
Well that's interesting. I've always felt education was important. So is he a teacher's aide or does he work outside the school system? Pretty much all the guys I know that were head coaches had degrees, some with a master's or even a doctorate. I'm not sure on Dan River since Ferrell may not have finished his degree before playing in the NFL, but that's a little different.

Reactions: knightfan64
Heard Altavista has made their choice for new coach. I'm confused on the direction and overall care about the football program, seems like they don't want to improve. There was at least 2- 3 applicants who were young , energetic , and have ability to connect with kids while also connecting to the community they passed over. Add in those guys can also coach. Makes you question things.
Haven't finished his first year but looks like this hire turned out alright.

I like the other post saying they won't beat WC anytime soon.

Reactions: lyhsports
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT