ADVERTISEMENT

Amherst and Dinwiddie Schedule

VolNation85

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Nov 29, 2013
The Master schedule was released today and one thing Is for sure...Amherst and Dinwiddie both have brutal schedules. Amherst has Salem, Gw, and Blacksburg to open the season before heading into Seminole play and Dinwiddie has GW, Massaponax, and North Stafford respectively before heading into Capital district play. If another team in 4A has a tougher schedule than these two teams I’d like to hear it.

Dinwiddie is in Central District, but still that just mean they have to play tough teams like Petersburg, Hopewell and Thomas Dale as part of their district schedule.

Reactions: VolNation85
Dinwiddie is in Central District, but still that just mean they have to play tough teams like Petersburg, Hopewell and Thomas Dale as part of their district schedule.
You are right. I misread on the VHSL master schedule

Reactions: aw19752
Amherst has Salem, GW, Blacksburg, Heritage, Brookville, Glass, JF.... crazy. Their “should win” (would hardly even call it that) games are Liberty, LCA, Rustburg.... all of which are still formidable opponents and shouldn’t be taken lightly. I thought JF had a rough schedule.... sheesh

Yes, @VolNation85 and @aw19752, Dinwiddie has an early tough go of things. Our scrimmage schedule is tough too. EC Glass/Fleming and then LC Bird/Henrico. Our boys will either be battle tested or beat up come playoff time. The Central District is going to be really strong this season. Petersburg has five D-1 recruits and is lead by Meziah Scott may be the best Class 3 qb in the state. After a 12 year drought Hopewell beat us in the regular season last year. They have some serious talent returning. Thomas Dale is a huge rivalry game. They should be good again this year and have several D1 players. Chris Tyree (rb) Notre Dame, Josiah Williams (qb, wr, and db), and Bryce Clark (de). We have beaten the Knights a record three straight years, so maybe we have something going. The good thing is they flipped our District schedule and the tough games are not back to back. Louisa, has also upped the ante with their OOD schedule and it isnt an easy road. They play Courtland, Chancellor, Kettle Run and Massaponax.

Amherst has Salem, GW, Blacksburg, Heritage, Brookville, Glass, JF.... crazy. Their “should win” (would hardly even call it that) games are Liberty, LCA, Rustburg.... all of which are still formidable opponents and shouldn’t be taken lightly. I thought JF had a rough schedule.... sheesh
Amherst has always had a tough schedule but I think it needs to change, no reason to play top three teams out the gate like this.

Amherst has always had a tough schedule but I think it needs to change, no reason to play top three teams out the gate like this.
There are definitely pros and cons to this type of schedule. What would you suggest and why?

In general I would want to load it with top tier. In their case I would prefer some middle of the road teams to start with to challenge them yet potentially give them a confidence boost since they are coming off 1-9 season filled with disappointing nail biters and have an entirely new staff. But who knows! HS football is a crazy thing.

In general I would want to load it with top tier. In their case I would prefer some middle of the road teams to start with to challenge them yet potentially give them a confidence boost since they are coming off 1-9 season filled with disappointing nail biters and have an entirely new staff. But who knows! HS football is a crazy thing.
It used to be good for Amherst but not anymore until they get back to where they were. It's not good for the last several years to start out losing the first three games. I haven't seen where it has helped them at all. They need at least one of those games not to be there. Salem is the one they should keep because of the rivalry but not Blacksburg. Not one team in the Seminole has this tough of a schedule. They all have on mediocre team

Last edited:
Amherst's goal right now is to get back into the POs and you can't do that when your schedule says you're probably decent underdogs for 8 of your first 9 games. The outward appearance of the program to kids matters as well, some of them may not like the sport enough to come be a punching bag for most of the year. All the stuff adds up. If Amherst goes 2-8 this year do you know what the paper will say? It'll say "The Lancers, winners of 3 games over the past 2 seasons" not "The Lancers, winners of 3 games over the past 2 seasons of ridiculously tough schedules". Nobody talks about your SOS when the season ends, your record is what is left standing.

There's no reason for Amherst to have this schedule, not as a Seminole member. It's overkill. Even a really good team could drop 2-3 games with this schedule.

Amherst's goal right now is to get back into the POs and you can't do that when your schedule says you're probably decent underdogs for 8 of your first 9 games. The outward appearance of the program to kids matters as well, some of them may not like the sport enough to come be a punching bag for most of the year. All the stuff adds up. If Amherst goes 2-8 this year do you know what the paper will say? It'll say "The Lancers, winners of 3 games over the past 2 seasons" not "The Lancers, winners of 3 games over the past 2 seasons of ridiculously tough schedules". Nobody talks about your SOS when the season ends, your record is what is left standing.

There's no reason for Amherst to have this schedule, not as a Seminole member. It's overkill. Even a really good team could drop 2-3 games with this schedule.
I agree 100% the coach this year thinks the schedule needs to change. It is just not necessary to have 3 games like that right out of the gate.

I get your point. I recall a couple of years back when Amherst was really down. They played GW, Lake Taylor, and Northside on top of the Seminole slate where Heritage, Liberty, Brookville, and Jefferson Forest were all really good. You could tell when those sophomores in 2014 were seniors in 2016 that their very tough schedule from the previous years prepared them to be a force that year. I think that’s the same mindset. You won’t find a tougher schedule than Amherst’s schedule in 4A. If they can come out of there with 3-4 wins, you have to believe that they will be a legit contender in 2020/2021.

I get your point. I recall a couple of years back when Amherst was really down. They played GW, Lake Taylor, and Northside on top of the Seminole slate where Heritage, Liberty, Brookville, and Jefferson Forest were all really good. You could tell when those sophomores in 2014 were seniors in 2016 that their very tough schedule from the previous years prepared them to be a force that year. I think that’s the same mindset. You won’t find a tougher schedule than Amherst’s schedule in 4A. If they can come out of there with 3-4 wins, you have to believe that they will be a legit contender in 2020/2021.
I don't mind the schedule at all.Don't let the lack of coaching and preparation the last few years change who we are in Amherst.Amherst always played a tough schedule and I hope it continue.Talk to the kids the other day and they want it and working hard to do it.Not sure telling people or saying the head coach wants a easier schedule is the correct thing to say by a head coach.You gotta keep Salem and G.W and who do you replace Blacksburg with?Do you play Nelson County instead,I don't want that.Everybody keep working hard and the schedule wont be an issue.

I don't mind the schedule at all.Don't let the lack of coaching and preparation the last few years change who we are in Amherst.Amherst always played a tough schedule and I hope it continue.Talk to the kids the other day and they want it and working hard to do it.Not sure telling people or saying the head coach wants a easier schedule is the correct thing to say by a head coach.You gotta keep Salem and G.W and who do you replace Blacksburg with?Do you play Nelson County instead,I don't want that.Everybody keep working hard and the schedule wont be an issue.
I said it needed to change. Blacksburg should come off. A tough schedule is one thing but three like that makes no sense. That coach is awesome and I value him. He will get Amherst back on track. I know the kids are excited.

I said it needed to change. Blacksburg should come off. A tough schedule is one thing but three like that makes no sense. That coach is awesome and I value him. He will get Amherst back on track. I know the kids are excited.
Thought you said coach want to to change it.I can understand and respect what you're saying.I'm just the kind of person that jumps to the competition instead of getting rid of it.

Reactions: rainman17
Thought you said coach want to to change it.I can understand and respect what you're saying.I'm just the kind of person that jumps to the competition instead of getting rid of it.
no problem. Blacksburg game needs to go. Not just my opinion is all I'm saying.

Changing teams and making it "easier" is two different things. Amherst has always had a tough schedule but they don't need to have the toughest either.

Depends on what side you are on with respect to SOS being talked about after the season. I can't count the number of times I have read all over these boards from different classes that SOS made a difference in how a team did in PO. That part works both ways to me. You won't read that either way in paper, but how many times have you seen (or possibly been a part of) the conversation that a lack of preparation in SOS has contributed to a teams demise in PO

Depends on what side you are on with respect to SOS being talked about after the season. I can't count the number of times I have read all over these boards from different classes that SOS made a difference in how a team did in PO. That part works both ways to me. You won't read that either way in paper, but how many times have you seen (or possibly been a part of) the conversation that a lack of preparation in SOS has contributed to a teams demise in PO

That's subjective though and usually to the point of underselling the kids just being good which is why I don't really buy into it personally.

I could just as easily base an argument off scheduling light in order to preserve home-field and being able to rest your starters as much as you can during the season in order to be ready for the POs because, well, that's more or less what Salem did during it's 3-peat and the results can't be argued. However, I won't do that and I typically just think if the team is good they're good and if there's anything to that old cliche about iron sharpening iron it's very unquantifiable and probably differs even on an individual basis.

Not downing your opinion, I just think good teams are good and are the immediate result of coaching, talent, and the work put in during the offseason and not because they had a few "tougher" teams at any given point.

That's subjective though and usually to the point of underselling the kids just being good which is why I don't really buy into it personally.

I could just as easily base an argument off scheduling light in order to preserve home-field and being able to rest your starters as much as you can during the season in order to be ready for the POs because, well, that's more or less what Salem did during it's 3-peat and the results can't be argued. However, I won't do that and I typically just think if the team is good they're good and if there's anything to that old cliche about iron sharpening iron it's very unquantifiable and probably differs even on an individual basis.

Not downing your opinion, I just think good teams are good and are the immediate result of coaching, talent, and the work put in during the offseason and not because they had a few "tougher" teams at any given point.

Not saying I agree with that opinion, but it is without question talked about when teams don't "live up" to those expectations.

Maybe I didn't state it clearly, or you misread, but nothing subjective in that. It is talked about

If you want to be the best you’ll eventually have to beat the best, you may get by playing the lesser competition but that’s not a recipe for success. Amherst has a tough schedule this year but they can make adjustments for the next cycle. Amherst always schedules a tougher round than most Seminole teams as they’ve been at the crest of what many have strived for, but people forget that high school sports run in cycles. So as they reached the top they’ll go back down to rise again.

Reactions: Lineheart
No matter how good the coach is or how much support rabid fans give to high school sports. It all depends on who gets off the bus to have a winning program .
With a coach like Christmas, trust me the kids will come out.

No matter how good the coach is or how much support rabid fans give to high school sports. It all depends on who gets off the bus to have a winning program .
I disagree. A great coach will win ANYWHERE....especially at the high school level.

Players win the games. Coaches put players in a position to win the games. Great players make clutch plays and great coaches make great calls. A great fan base supports the players and coaches in good times and in bad. GREAT programs have all three things working in unison. Salem, Highland Springs, Stone Bridge, Westfield, Appomattox, Richlands and others always seem to have that chemistry. Not saying there are not others...just named a few

Players win the games. Coaches put players in a position to win the games. Great players make clutch plays and great coaches make great calls. A great fan base supports the players and coaches in good times and in bad. GREAT programs have all three things working in unison. Salem, Highland Springs, Stone Bridge, Westfield, Appomattox, Richlands and others always seem to have that chemistry. Not saying there are not others...just named a few
Take the coach from any of those teams and move them to a perineal loser and they’ll be winners in 2 years

Take the coach from any of those teams and move them to a perineal loser and they’ll be winners in 2 years
Winners consistently but would still lose some games to people that just purely outmatches them is my point

I want to see how Salem fares this year without their old head man I expect a drop off but Mag didn’t leave the cupboard dry as the young Spartans are now vets.

People underestimating the impact of either side, players or coaches as doing a disservice. Coaching makes a HUGE difference, and what seems to be being discussed here is during games. But the work BEFORE the games is what matters. There is a HUGE difference in great player and great athlete. But what does make the best teams is both the players and coaches.

If there is a team with a good coach and good players (in that system) vs a team with mediocre coaching with GREAT talent, I think you will find out more often than not that the better coached team wins. Now that great coach cant have mediocre players and expect to always win, but he can do more with less.

I certainly witnessed this in Stuarts Draft one year. #14 seed in playoffs (I think 5-5 or maybe 4-6) traveled to #3 Dan River. Dan River had future 1st round picks of the Edmunds. The game wasn't close, and there is a HUGE difference in multiple d1 guys in 4a and with 2a.

But without a good coach, you will not win either
Ole sayin' attributed to Bear Bryant.
"I can beat yourn with mine and then turn around and beat mine with yourn".

Last edited:
people love to down play the important of coaching. But every winning program has a good coach.
Amherst horrible in the 80's kids transfering to play for bo at ec glass. 90's crouch an the team becomes a power. he goes they drop. Abell an they become power house. Then we know what happened after that.

Glass 80's BO Henson Glass was a force to be reckoned with. Then he leaves an glass is nothing till woody shows up.

Salem they've cycled remarkable coaches threw there system. An while they have talent lots of time there not the most talented team on the field but they are the best coaches.

The list could go on just running threw teams in CVA but you get my point.

people love to down play the important of coaching. But every winning program has a good coach.
Amherst horrible in the 80's kids transfering to play for bo at ec glass. 90's crouch an the team becomes a power. he goes they drop. Abell an they become power house. Then we know what happened after that.

Glass 80's BO Henson Glass was a force to be reckoned with. Then he leaves an glass is nothing till woody shows up.

Salem they've cycled remarkable coaches threw there system. An while they have talent lots of time there not the most talented team on the field but they are the best coaches.

The list could go on just running threw teams in CVA but you get my point.
Coaching is key. Just like the comments you made are true. This isn't high school football but look at UVA basketball as a good example.

Ole sayin' attributed to Bear Bryant.
"I can beat yourn with mine and then turn around and beat mine with yourn".
Too bad Bryant never tested his "beat mine with yourn" theory. Once he got to Bama he never left. Coached them for 24 years. Guess he realized great players can help a coach become great also.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT