ADVERTISEMENT

Amherst Coach

So Chris Moore is the man. He is supposed to be a very good special teams guy. Played O Line at William and Mary. Has several college coaching stops including Liberty. He obviously can coach, but relating to the kids is an important task as well. Here's hoping he's a good match.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
So Chris Moore is the man. He is supposed to be a very good special teams guy. Played O Line at William and Mary. Has several college coaching stops including Liberty. He obviously can coach, but relating to the kids is an important task as well. Here's hoping he's a good match.
He will definitely relate to the kids. The people that he knows is a plus as well and I’m talking about people back from Abel days that are still in touch and will have a great influence on the kids

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
@wikki I truly enjoy your passion and the Lancer faithful know the culture in the program/county. The kids of today are quite different from 2008 and have their wants and needs don't even compare. You guys/gals need to embrace this young man and assist him with this transition. Getting buy in is the biggest hurdle for a new coach and he has been gone a long time. Stay patient and positive. Good things will happen.

@wikki I truly enjoy your passion and the Lancer faithful know the culture in the program/county. The kids of today are quite different from 2008 and have their wants and needs don't even compare. You guys/gals need to embrace this young man and assist him with this transition. Getting buy in is the biggest hurdle for a new coach and he has been gone a long time. Stay patient and positive. Good things will happen.
Yes they are but it was because of Coach Abel. I think the kids today will relate to this young man the same way. I know what the talk has been around the county. Respect has to come from both sides. We will embrace him as we have others, you will always have those that don’t, but it’s expected. There has not been one coach that the boosters didn’t fully support. I’m excited as well as those that I’ve been talking to. Can’t wait for the season to start. Thanks Dinwiddie.

Man the kids today are wayyy different from the kids in 2018. Those old Amherst teams of the 2000s were loaded. They looked like a junior college team most of those years. Hopefully the new coach can bring that competitive edge back to the A. Region D is going to be very good with this hire and Woody in Charlottesville. Glass is now on the clock.

True keep forgetting in the same region now

Thank you for the info. That’s going to be very interesting
NW schools are lame for ducking Loudoun schools and switching from region 4C to 4D. They are an hour drive max from all Loudoun schools. Winchester is 2 hrs from Cville, which will now be the closest regional school to the 5 NW area schools. 3 hours to Roanoke/Lynchburg , 4 hours to Danville and 5 hrs to Meck County. Why the VHSL allowed them to do that is beyond me. Somebody from the NW, make this make sense!

Last edited:
NW schools are lame for ducking Loudoun schools and switching from region 4C to 4D. They are an hour drive max from all Loudoun schools. Winchester is 2 hrs from Cville, which will now be the closest regional school to the 5 NW area schools. 3 hours to Roanoke/Lynchburg , 4 hours to Danville and 5 hrs to Meck County. Why the VHSL allowed them to do that is beyond me. Somebody from the NW, make this make sense!
Crazy thing is that 4D isn't going to be a pushover either.

Well hardly couldn’t be ducking from Loudoun schools when the LC schools won’t even play the NW schools. They play with themselves ( not literally ). Hard to fill a schedule .NW schools got to the point where it was very Difficult to schedule in all sports Not necessarily football related . Also it is really hard to go back and forth over the mountain and very dangerous for students . Everyone knows 81 is dangerous also, but 66 and 7 are death traps.

All facts Coach. Sherando would come out better being Class 5 to start with but definitely staying in Region C since they’re staying C4. I mean no disrespect @Scalvinscaliwag. Winchester is what? 30 minutes from Loudoun Valley? 45-50 minutes tops to the other Loudoun Schools in Region C. For Glass, GW and Halifax, this is not really that much different than what they’re used to in their WVD days. The NW Region took those teams all the way to Stafford/Prince William Counties which was often longer trips due to traffic. Still logistically, it just makes more sense for those Winchester teams to be in Region C.

Well hardly couldn’t be ducking from Loudoun schools when the LC schools won’t even play the NW schools. They play with themselves ( not literally ). Hard to fill a schedule .NW schools got to the point where it was very Difficult to schedule in all sports Not necessarily football related . Also it is really hard to go back and forth over the mountain and very dangerous for students . Everyone knows 81 is dangerous also, but 66 and 7 are death traps.
Not sure where you are getting your information, but the NW has historically been adamant about not wanting to play Loudoun schools in football stating the excuse, "we may have to see them in the playoffs". Calls to the NW ADs are the first calls made by Loudoun ADs (at the 4A AND 5A level) when looking out of district. The top programs in the county are almost always turned down. The middle of the road are usually hit or miss. And the teams that struggle most, or are new programs, somehow always manage to workout a game.

Make no mistake, this move was made by the NW to get away from Loudoun (at least when it comes to football). I will say it is unfortunate with how well the NW outplayed the Dulles in the playoffs this past fall. Confidence was being built on that side of the mountain, but this move was already in place and finalized before November.

Reactions: one man
I don't buy it. I-66 is major roadway from Winchester to DC. You really think its more dangerous for students to drive 2 hrs round trip with 15-20 minutes of that on the "mountain" vs 4-8 hrs round trip down roadways they probably aren't at all familiar with that will also incur going over a different mountain?

The bluster in this thread about ducking has much more to do with the impotence of the VHSL bowing down to larger school systems in NOVA, Richmond and Tidewater and leaving geographically exposed and smaller systems to fill in the holes of the puzzle. You cannot geographically balance regions and districts when systems insist on not being split. It's why for years schools like GW and Halifax drive right by schools in Richmond on the way to Fredericksburg and Stafford and the NW schools get tagged making similar trips to the Roanoke Valley, Central Virginia and Southside. The VHSL is largely just a little brother version of its inept big brother the NCAA.

@cutnjump it sounds like you are talking about politics and not high school sports. lol I truly respect yours and others opinions; however, the reality is quite simple. Northern Virginia and the 757 have the majority of the member schools (population) and they control the vote when it comes to VHSL policy. If you follow the Virginia General Assembly or the US Congress/Senate you will see the same principle being applied daily. Yes, the rural areas get thumped by VHSL rules, guidelines and policy, but to be honest the "little guy" is partially responsible as well. I have been in coaches and officials meetings where stupid/unfair stuff is brought up and everybody sits quietly and lets the "big boys" ramrod things through. Why? Because the "little guys" have an agenda too.

We have talked about this util we are blue in the face, but I am going to give everybody who keeps slamming the VHSL a simple example of why the arguments make no sense at all. Let's pretend @BoKnowsSports is eating in downtown Danville. He parks right on Main Street and puts $1.00 in a new meter that has been put in place to draw revenue. He sits around a little too long talking football and the meter expires. He comes out of the restaurant and finds a ticket on his car. He sees the parking authority employee writing another ticket a half a block down and proceeds to give him/her the business. Bo begins to tell the attendant that the he was only ten minutes late and the law is stupid. He demands the ticket be torn up. The attendant tells Bo he/she did not make the law, nor did the company who employs them. He/she advises Bo to contact the City of Danville if he has a concern/complaint. Bo continues to blame and tell everyone who will listen how he was screwed by the parking attendant and the company he/she works for. The truth of the matter is 1. Bo screwed himself by breaking the law and will not own it. 2. Bo's ward representative who he voted for actually proposed the new meters on Main Street, City Council approved/purchased the meters and enacted the laws to be enforced. You see the Parking Company and attendant (VHSL) only oversee, enforce the laws/policies provided to them by the town council (member schools). If you really want to take action then go to your school board, principal, or athletic director and ask him/her how they voted regarding realignment. You just might get a huge surprise. Remember the VHSL has no vote period!

I served as a graduate assistant and assistant coach at two different schools in the early 90's and the VHSL should never be compared to the NCAA. The greed, favoritism, and lack of common sense shown by the NCAA is unreal. Even with some of the problems/concerns we all have about the administration of high school sports in Virginia I still believe the VHSL and member schools have the kids best interest at heart. No freaking way the NCAA does!

@cutnjump it sounds like you are talking about politics and not high school sports. lol I truly respect yours and others opinions; however, the reality is quite simple. Northern Virginia and the 757 have the majority of the member schools (population) and they control the vote when it comes to VHSL policy. If you follow the Virginia General Assembly or the US Congress/Senate you will see the same principle being applied daily. Yes, the rural areas get thumped by VHSL rules, guidelines and policy, but to be honest the "little guy" is partially responsible as well. I have been in coaches and officials meetings where stupid/unfair stuff is brought up and everybody sits quietly and lets the "big boys" ramrod things through. Why? Because the "little guys" have an agenda too.

We have talked about this util we are blue in the face, but I am going to give everybody who keeps slamming the VHSL a simple example of why the arguments make no sense at all. Let's pretend @BoKnowsSports is eating in downtown Danville. He parks right on Main Street and puts $1.00 in a new meter that has been put in place to draw revenue. He sits around a little too long talking football and the meter expires. He comes out of the restaurant and finds a ticket on his car. He sees the parking authority employee writing another ticket a half a block down and proceeds to give him/her the business. Bo begins to tell the attendant that the he was only ten minutes late and the law is stupid. He demands the ticket be torn up. The attendant tells Bo he/she did not make the law, nor did the company who employs them. He/she advises Bo to contact the City of Danville if he has a concern/complaint. Bo continues to blame and tell everyone who will listen how he was screwed by the parking attendant and the company he/she works for. The truth of the matter is 1. Bo screwed himself by breaking the law and will not own it. 2. Bo's ward representative who he voted for actually proposed the new meters on Main Street, City Council approved/purchased the meters and enacted the laws to be enforced. You see the Parking Company and attendant (VHSL) only oversee, enforce the laws/policies provided to them by the town council (member schools). If you really want to take action then go to your school board, principal, or athletic director and ask him/her how they voted regarding realignment. You just might get a huge surprise. Remember the VHSL has no vote period!

I served as a graduate assistant and assistant coach at two different schools in the early 90's and the VHSL should never be compared to the NCAA. The greed, favoritism, and lack of common sense shown by the NCAA is unreal. Even with some of the problems/concerns we all have about the administration of high school sports in Virginia I still believe the VHSL and member schools have the kids best interest at heart. No freaking way the NCAA does!
Your first paragraph is fair and it does come down to power and votes. However, the analogy in your second paragraph is a stretch as the VHSL and its executive leadership are more than just a traffic attendant enforcing rules.

My experience with the VHSL spans more than 50 years and I have watched former executive directors craft their feifdoms most often at the expense of smaller members with little to no regard for the health of their ENTIRE membership but, rather the powerful few and their own personal agendas. I have had multiple conversations with principals, ADs, school board members and VHSL personnel through the years on these matters. The structure has been carefully crafted over the years and through the use of committees and assignments the work is done more often than not before something ever gets to the floor. The ram rodding and smaller system agenda is really nothing more than a recognition of where the power and votes actually lie and the belief that rocking the boat may actually place your school or system in a worse place than it already is. The money is far different between the NCAA and the VHSL but, the greed, lust for power has far more similarities. We will just have to agree to disagree on this one BN and I respect your position, I just have a different perspective/lens that I view it through.

Last edited:
The bluster in this thread about ducking has much more to do with the impotence of the VHSL bowing down to larger school systems in NOVA, Richmond and Tidewater and leaving geographically exposed and smaller systems to fill in the holes of the puzzle. You cannot geographically balance regions and districts when systems insist on not being split. It's why for years schools like GW and Halifax drive right by schools in Richmond on the way to Fredericksburg and Stafford and the NW schools get tagged making similar trips to the Roanoke Valley, Central Virginia and Southside. The VHSL is largely just a little brother version of its inept big brother the NCAA.
I think the first GW NOVA trip was the 1974 Woodbridge playoff game. The VHSL is much better run than it was in the 1970s and 80's.

Great job BN. And you too Bo for letting him use you as a fictitious example.

Cutnjump, I understand your frustrations. I really do. But like Bleeding Navy said, your criticism of the VHSL should be directed elsewhere. In a way, you are absolutely correct, the VHSL follows a pattern that we all mostly agree is often not in the best interest of high school sports. But it’s not the VHSL staff that is to blame. It’s the VHSL membership. Again, it’s not the folks that work at the League office on State Farm Blvd in Charlottesville. THEY DON’T GET A VOTE. Sure, Dr Haun, or Ty Gafford, or Mike McCall, or Laura Parker, or a few of the others at the League can make their opinions known. But in the end, the voting membership can, and often does, disregard their advice and vote as they please.

I want to add this, there was a time in the not too distant past, that strong criticism of the officials at the League office was accurate and justified. In the latter years of the Ken Tilley regime, Mr Tilley lost touch of what his guidance was meant to be, and basically, through intimidation, led using the philosophy of “my way or the highway!” His management style isolated the League office from not only the members, but from the public at large. Secrecy, few if any explanations, and no attempt to inform the public resulted in an “us verses them” situation. This was true for way too long and did a lot of harm.

I assure you that this is NOT the situation any longer. Dr. Haun and his staff are open and honest and they consider what is best for the kids in every decision that must be made. I wish I could tell you that the voting membership had this ideal in mind as they decided on legislation, but normally they don’t. They normally vote exclusively for what THEY want, regardless of the ramifications for other member schools.

Your first paragraph is fair and it does come down to power and votes. However, the analogy in your second paragraph is a stretch as the VHSL and its executive leadership are more than just a traffic attendant enforcing rules.

My experience with the VHSL spans more than 50 years and I have watched former executive directors craft their feifdoms most often at the expense of smaller members with little to no regard for the health of their ENTIRE membership but, rather the powerful few and their own personal agendas. I have had multiple conversations with principals, ADs, school board members and VHSL personnel through the years on these matters. The structure has been carefully crafted over the years and through the use of committees and assignments the work is done more often than not before something ever gets to the floor. The ram rodding and smaller system agenda is really nothing more than a recognition of where the power and votes actually lie and the belief that rocking the boat may actually place your school or system in a worse place than it already is. The money is far different between the NCAA and the VHSL but, the greed, lust for power has far more similarities. We will just have to agree to disagree on this one BN and I respect your position, I just have a different perspective/lens that I view it through.
I agree that we are going to have to disagree. Greed and lust for power is just not fair. I do not see that at all. (At least these days) . As Tommy said, it was pretty bad for a good number of years in the past. I think it is unfair to say that there have not been significant improvements since Dr Haun took over.

@cutnjump I don't think we are really far off at all. I actually enjoy a healthy debate and I will easily admit when I am wrong. A lot of what you said is spot on; however, I have not faced or seen the favoritism you have. I totally agree with the lack of effort or possible intimidation factor as I have witnessed that in coaching and officiating meetings. This was not done by VHSL officials, but through some coaches, AD's, commissioners and principals (leadership). I have actually served on a few committee's and not once have I seen the VHSL liaison try to sway anyone involved. In fact, my experience has been just the opposite. You have experienced such, so I will respect your beliefs and consider them facts. Don't get me wrong I am not overly fond of the current way things get done, but I will readily admit I have no other solution to offer. That is where my character comes into play. I never gripe about anything unless I have a plan of action or remedy to fix what I deem to be a problem. Have a blessed day.

Dang, Bo. Why you bein' such a dick? 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: BoKnowsSports
Great job BN. And you too Bo for letting him use you as a fictitious example.

Cutnjump, I understand your frustrations. I really do. But like Bleeding Navy said, your criticism of the VHSL should be directed elsewhere. In a way, you are absolutely correct, the VHSL follows a pattern that we all mostly agree is often not in the best interest of high school sports. But it’s not the VHSL staff that is to blame. It’s the VHSL membership. Again, it’s not the folks that work at the League office on State Farm Blvd in Charlottesville. THEY DON’T GET A VOTE. Sure, Dr Haun, or Ty Gafford, or Mike McCall, or Laura Parker, or a few of the others at the League can make their opinions known. But in the end, the voting membership can, and often does, disregard their advice and vote as they please.

I want to add this, there was a time in the not too distant past, that strong criticism of the officials at the League office was accurate and justified. In the latter years of the Ken Tilley regime, Mr Tilley lost touch of what his guidance was meant to be, and basically, through intimidation, led using the philosophy of “my way or the highway!” His management style isolated the League office from not only the members, but from the public at large. Secrecy, few if any explanations, and no attempt to inform the public resulted in an “us verses them” situation. This was true for way too long and did a lot of harm.

I assure you that this is NOT the situation any longer. Dr. Haun and his staff are open and honest and they consider what is best for the kids in every decision that must be made. I wish I could tell you that the voting membership had this ideal in mind as they decided on legislation, but normally they don’t. They normally vote exclusively for what THEY want, regardless of the ramifications for other member schools.
That's fair and maybe the current regime is more understanding. My recent exposure is far more limited than former times and the current decision making could be more rooted in the self serving nature of the larger systems. Both you and @Bleeding Navy raise valid points. Enjoyed the discussion.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT