Amherst - Seminole Champions

wikki

VaPreps All State
Oct 21, 2001
Record 21-0 by beating Heritage in the final game 11--2

District Pitcher of the Year: Jesse Stinnett

Seminole District Player of the Year: DA Christian

Seminole District Coach of the Year: Joey Crawford

Anyone who goes unbeaten, especially in the Seminole, has had a fabulous season. Of 3 state titles for Amherst, I saw 2....back in 1978 when they hosted and beat first year Western Albemarle in a great game (where the dugout roof caved in) and again in 2006 when they beat Stuarts Draft at Pulaski. On Tuesday, they host Monday's Brookville at Waynesboro winner.

Wrong opponent in '78

Umm ... Amherst defeated Warren County in the Group AA state championship in 1978 at Front Royal's Bing Crosby Stadium. Ken Dixon, who later pitched for the O's, beat the Wildcats that sunny day in early June. I know because I was THERE.

Wasn't that 1979 5-2 ?

nm
This post was edited on 5/25 4:57 PM by Bluetree

No, it wasn't.

I know exactly where you got that, because it is on the VHSL website for baseball. And it is WRONG. Did you miss the part about I was THERE. I'm not making this up to try and show up the poster that said Amherst beat WA in '78. How else would I remember Ken Dixon, think about it.

I can't remember who else played for Amherst but some of Warren County's best players at that time were Garnett Henry, (the late) Dale Henry, Jeff Bowers, John Ramey, Robert Nickens, Barry Jenkins, Mike Corbin. I could go on.

For Amherst reference, seek the supreme Lancer source of wikki.

Re: No, it wasn't.

I'll have to call them and let them know. I wonder what else is not right on that baseball page?

Re: 1979

I bet those dates ARE reversed in the book because as I remember now it had to be the 2nd year of WAHS, so 1978-79 school year. Francis Dall was the coach and Amherst broke open the game in the later innings. Someone hit a home run and there were fans on top of Amherst's old dugout roof jumping up and down. Thankfully, just about all the players came up the few stairs and in front to watch/celebrate before the cave in.

Re: Wrong opponent in '78

Won in 1974 beat Deep Creek 1-0

Sorry, only thinking AA..

FOUR state titles for Amherst. AAA off my radar. Was it 1979 when they won it at home, beating Western?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT