ADVERTISEMENT

Any Chance of Referencing this as Class 4 instead of 4A

Aug 11, 2008
When the VHSL went to the new class system, the A was dropped. It is now Class 1, Class 2, ect.... When you reference 4A, it means Class 4 Region A. I know this is somewhat trivial, but everytime something gets posted with "A", I think its referencing the 757 area. The Salem Spartans should never be referenced as 4A. They are 4D. Just my 2 cents.

When the VHSL went to the new class system, the A was dropped. It is now Class 1, Class 2, ect.... When you reference 4A, it means Class 4 Region A. I know this is somewhat trivial, but everytime something gets posted with "A", I think its referencing the 757 area. The Salem Spartans should never be referenced as 4A. They are 4D. Just my 2 cents.
Thank you for posting, I've had the same thought.

I agree, also.

Another pet peeve of mine - when the different classes are referred to as “C4, C3”, etc. It’s confusing, and just plain incorrect. It doesn’t take that much more time to type “Class”.

Crotchety old man complaint over.

I agree, also.

Another pet peeve of mine - when the different classes are referred to as “C4, C3”, etc. It’s confusing, and just plain incorrect. It doesn’t take that much more time to type “Class”.

Crotchety old man complaint over.
I was reading the state championship list at the bottom of your posts and noticed that they are all after the Andrew Lewis years. Did Andrew Lewis not win any state championships?

I was reading the state championship list at the bottom of your posts and noticed that they are all after the Andrew Lewis years. Did Andrew Lewis not win any state championships?
If you look on fourseasonsfootball.com, it shows they lost a Championship in 1966, they won a playoff game in '67 (last game of the year for them...was this a championship?), and they lost a championship in '71. I don't know how things were run in the 60's from a playoff standpoint.

As far as football, Lewis won in 1962 and I think 1964. One of those, I think it was the 1962 title, had to be forfeited because a player that was later ruled ineligible appeared in one game. I’m fuzzy on those details, so other old Salem dudes can correct me if I’m wrong.

The old AAA, AA, and A system with statewide playoffs only began in the fall of 1970. [And actually, AAA football didn’t have state semi finals and a championship game until the following year.] Lewis closed at the end of the 1976-1977 school year, so it only had seven years under the playoff system. The only two state championships that Lewis won under that system both came in the school’s very last week as a high school - golf and girls track. I was a freshman trying to crack that golf team lineup - fat chance. However, the coach did keep two of us “B team” guys as caddies, so I got to caddy for the eventual champion in the regional tournament. Yeah - I was a big cog in the wheel LOL.

Last edited:
As far as football, Lewis won in 1962 and I think 1964. One of those, I think it was the 1962 title, had to be forfeited because a player that was later ruled in eligible appeared in one game. I’m fuzzy on those details, so other old Salem dudes can correct me if I’m wrong.

The old AAA, AA, and A system with state wide playoffs only began in the fall of 1970. [And actually, AAA football didn’t have state semi finals and a championship game until the following year.] Lewis closed at the end of the 1976-1977 school year, so it only had seven years under the playoff system. The only two state championships that Lewis won under that system both came in the school’s very last week as a high school - golf and girls track. I was a freshman trying to crack that golf team lineup - fat chance. However, the coach did keep two of us “B team” guys as caddies, so I got to caddy for the eventual champion in the regional meet. Yeah - I was a big cog in the wheel LOL.
In '62 it shows the first 9 games as being forfeited and game 10 as postponed-forfeited. Did they play the 10th game? Also in '64 they went 10-0. Is this considered a state title?

If you look on fourseasonsfootball.com, it shows they lost a Championship in 1966, they won a playoff game in '67 (last game of the year for them...was this a championship?), and they lost a championship in '71. I don't know how things were run in the 60's from a playoff standpoint.

Prior to 1970, and 1971 for AAA schools, I believe state championships in football were determined by pairing up whatever undefeated teams remained in the state after the regular season. If there were more than two undefeated teams, which I have to imagine was often the case, I don’t know how they handled that. So as great as that website is, any playoff games shown prior to 1970 are really an inaccuracy. There was no real playoff system in the ‘50s and ‘60s.

AAA had playoffs in 1970, but they stopped at the regional championships. There were no state semi finals or state championship games. If anybody knows with 100% certainty that I am wrong on any of this, I am happy to be corrected.

In '62 it shows the first 9 games as being forfeited and game 10 as postponed-forfeited. Did they play the 10th game? Also in '64 they went 10-0. Is this considered a state title?

Yes, 1964 was a state title team. They must have only played nine games in the regular season. I am almost certain that that game with Kecoughtan was the championship game which I referenced above.

Prior to 1970, and 1971 for AAA schools, I believe state championships in football were determined by pairing up whatever undefeated teams remained in the state after the regular season. If there were more than two undefeated teams, which I have to imagine was often the case, I don’t know how they handled that. So as great as that website is, any playoff games shown prior to 1970 are really an inaccuracy. There was no real playoff system in the ‘50s and ‘60s.

AAA had playoffs in 1970, but they stopped at the regional championships. There were no state semi finals or state championship games. If anybody knows with 100% certainty that I am wrong on any of this, I am happy to be corrected.
Here we go...this is from an article about the coach when he passed away:

His 1964 team finished 10-0 and was crowned Group AAA champion through a points system used prior to postseason playoffs. Andrew Lewis also finished as a state runner-up in 1966, 1967 and 1971.

The 1971 team lost 27-0 in the Group AAA final to T.C. Williams before a crowd of 18,000 at Roanoke’s Victory Stadium, the game that became the basis of the movie “Remember the Titans.”

Andrew Lewis also won the 1962 state championship under Joyce, but the title was forfeited because of an ineligible player.

BTW - my signature was only meant to reference state titles won by the “modern” Salem High School, anyway. So that doesn’t include “old” Salem High, or Andrew Lewis, which opened in ‘32 or ‘33 (never can remember which). On Lewis’s page on fourseasonsfootball, all of those seasons shown which are prior to 1932 or 1933 must be referencing old Salem High School’s records.

As far as football, Lewis won in 1962 and I think 1964. One of those, I think it was the 1962 title, had to be forfeited because a player that was later ruled ineligible appeared in one game. I’m fuzzy on those details, so other old Salem dudes can correct me if I’m wrong.

The old AAA, AA, and A system with statewide playoffs only began in the fall of 1970. [And actually, AAA football didn’t have state semi finals and a championship game until the following year.] Lewis closed at the end of the 1976-1977 school year, so it only had seven years under the playoff system. The only two state championships that Lewis won under that system both came in the school’s very last week as a high school - golf and girls track. I was a freshman trying to crack that golf team lineup - fat chance. However, the coach did keep two of us “B team” guys as caddies, so I got to caddy for the eventual champion in the regional tournament. Yeah - I was a big cog in the wheel LOL.
Andrew Lewis has 1 State Championship
And win another one that was taken away . That championship was given to Graham. Lewis had beaten then on the field

They played all of the games. 10-0 and had to forfeit all of them. If you scroll to the right it has the scores

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT