ADVERTISEMENT

Any word on Brookville coaching search?

School board meeting next Monday or Tuesday, will be official then. Haven't heard anything official but expecting it to be a former D2 college coordinator.

I am surprised that Woody didn't come back. He is knee deep in a mess at Cville. But I guess that drive is a heck of a deterrent.

I am surprised that Woody didn't come back. He is knee deep in a mess at Cville. But I guess that drive is a heck of a deterrent.
You are right about Cville being a mess and not just in athletics. They've been in the news a lot lately and even had classes canceled before winter break because teachers protested by calling out.

I'm sure the drive was part of his decision. I might be wrong, but I believe he is close, longtime friends with Meeks and several others on that staff, so maybe he said no out of friendship? I know some feel Meeks was treated poorly towards the end. Just a thought.

Reactions: wikki
You are right about Cville being a mess and not just in athletics. They've been in the news a lot lately and even had classes canceled before winter break because teachers protested by calling out.

I'm sure the drive was part of his decision. I might be wrong, but I believe he is close, longtime friends with Meeks and several others on that staff, so maybe he said no out of friendship? I know some feel Meeks was treated poorly towards the end. Just a thought.
True

C’ville is a sleeping giant. A need for a good administrative staff from top to bottom. Strong super needed, strong principal needed, as well as strong staff. Think the interim principal is a great man with high standards. At one time some really good athletes there. I’m sure there are still good athletes there. If anyone can get them on the right path it’s the right an a the helm of the football program. I’ve always found in the many schools I worked in, there’s good kids everywhere. Just believe in them.

I have no insider information, but here are a few things that could be impacting the search and candidates deciding to say no.

Is Meeks also leaving his teaching position? I thought I remember reading something that said he still planned on teaching at Brookville. That eliminates a teaching position within the school and it's early to know open positions.

What staff would remain or what would the new hire be able to bring along?
From what I've heard, the staff was a close staff and loyal to Meeks. There might not be many still willing to coach and it's not easy putting a hs staff together.

Lastly, coaches talk and do their due diligence. From what I have heard is that admin and some others did not treat or support Meeks and were making it hard on the man. Other coaches hear this and it puts up red flags.

I have no insider information, but here are a few things that could be impacting the search and candidates deciding to say no.

Is Meeks also leaving his teaching position? I thought I remember reading something that said he still planned on teaching at Brookville. That eliminates a teaching position within the school and it's early to know open positions.

What staff would remain or what would the new hire be able to bring along?
From what I've heard, the staff was a close staff and loyal to Meeks. There might not be many still willing to coach and it's not easy putting a hs staff together.

Lastly, coaches talk and do their due diligence. From what I have heard is that admin and some others did not treat or support Meeks and were making it hard on the man. Other coaches hear this and it puts up red flags.
They were loyal to Meeks from what I’ve heard

Reactions: vector09
I believe only one or two coaches are returning for next year.
Serves all those who were involved in the decision right. Forced a respected coach out because they felt they knew better.

Hard enough anymore to find qualified coaches and to try and come in and build a staff with coaches who are potentially out of the building is a difficult process and has an impact on staff jelling and player buy in.

Brookville people also need to face the reality of where they are in the pecking order of that area. I believe they're in that weird zoning where students can go to LCA and they also have to contend with Glass, Heritage and JF all of which have far superior facilities and playing fields. What's the incentive or pull to apply and coach at Brookville?

Serves all those who were involved in the decision right. Forced a respected coach out because they felt they knew better.

Hard enough anymore to find qualified coaches and to try and come in and build a staff with coaches who are potentially out of the building is a difficult process and has an impact on staff jelling and player buy in.

Brookville people also need to face the reality of where they are in the pecking order of that area. I believe they're in that weird zoning where students can go to LCA and they also have to contend with Glass, Heritage and JF all of which have far superior facilities and playing fields. What's the incentive or pull to apply and coach at Brookville?
Great question. It used to be fan support and school support. I went to a couple of games this year, and there was almost zero admin support and fans were rough at all levels. I'm not saying they called the perfect play all of the time, but they must have seen something to go back to it.

From what I hear, it is not only coaches leaving but players and even teachers who have left or are leaving at the end of the year.

Great question. It used to be fan support and school support. I went to a couple of games this year, and there was almost zero admin support and fans were rough at all levels. I'm not saying they called the perfect play all of the time, but they must have seen something to go back to it.

From what I hear, it is not only coaches leaving but players and even teachers who have left or are leaving at the end of the year.
I'm confused on what admin support you want at a high school football game? They were present but most of their time was taken up handling discipline issues with students mostly middle school kids and parents. Players transferring is due to the non accountability culture of sports now (if you don't like things or you do not get your way you transfer). Teachers leaving is because of the state of education and that is happening everywhere.

Brookville people also need to face the reality of where they are in the pecking order of that area. I believe they're in that weird zoning where students can go to LCA and they also have to contend with Glass, Heritage and JF all of which have far superior facilities and playing fields. What's the incentive or pull to apply and coach at Brook
Brookville has its own zone and does not share with anyone. What people do not want to admit that talent in high school sports has its ups and downs and Brookville is on the down side.

I'm confused on what admin support you want at a high school football game? They were present but most of their time was taken up handling discipline issues with students mostly middle school kids and parents. Players transferring is due to the non accountability culture of sports now (if you don't like things or you do not get your way you transfer). Teachers leaving is because of the state of education and that is happening everywhere.
You're right about the support as in taking care of kids in the crowd and watching parents(I didn't originally think of that). I meant more of being excited when something good happens to the team or for the team. I thought that may have been lacking but from an outsider looking in, it is just my opinion.

I believe some of the teachers who left may have left for other teaching positions but I do know some are leaving for other reasons as well. Transferring in or out has become much more prevalent and I even heard somebody refer to it as a "high school transfer portal."

The only teachers that have left have gone to much higher paid professions, other teaching jobs for coaching reasons, or retirement. I respect your opinion but trust me every admin in the building wants Brookville to be successful no mater if they are over the top with emotion. Also just my opinion they supported the old staff the entire time.

• Haha
Reactions: Senex
If the whole staff is out, might be wise of them to seek out a young (potentially very) coach and let him build something unless they can pull some slam dunk hire out of a hat that assistants will flock to by name/rep.

If the whole staff is out, might be wise of them to seek out a young (potentially very) coach and let him build something unless they can pull some slam dunk hire out of a hat that assistants will flock to by name/rep.
I think a younger guy wanted it

Word on the street is the announcement will be made today. Wouldn't have guessed it in a million years if what I heard is true. But it could be a homerun hire.

Mark Lineburg. Coached at Brookville High School From 1992-1997. Looks like he had a great record during those years, and lead the Bees to the state championship game in '96.

Mark is part of a great coaching family. Thought he retired from Halifax and moved up north somewhere?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT