ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone know the student enrollment numbers for D1

When will the official numbers be out just curious ?

Just out for Class 1A, Riverheads High student enrollment will be listed at 474.5 students each school year until 2028. In 2028, these numbers will be reevaluated.

(source may be the latest census by CNN, aka by some as, fake news).

VDOE Nov 2017

WINDSOR HIGH 521
STONEWALL JACKSON Quicksburg HIGH 510
RIVERHEADS HIGH 461
NORTHAMPTON HIGH 458
WASHINGTON & LEE HIGH 456
ESSEX HIGH 445
GEORGE WYTHE Wytheville HIGH 441
NORTHUMBERLAND HIGH 431
AUBURN HIGH 428
PATRICK HENRY Glade Spring HIGH 424
EASTSIDE HIGH 422
GRUNDY HIGH 419
CUMBERLAND HIGH 418
CENTRAL Lunenburg HIGH 408
CHILHOWIE HIGH 402
MIDDLESEX HIGH 396
MATHEWS HIGH 395
RAPPAHANNOCK HIGH 375
RURAL RETREAT HIGH 367
ALTAVISTA HIGH 366
LANCASTER HIGH 365
GALAX HIGH 364
Appomatox Reg. Gov School 359 (Not on website)
HONAKER HIGH 348
SUSSEX CENTRAL HIGH 317
PARRY MCCLUER HIGH 310
HOLSTON HIGH 301
COVINGTON HIGH 299
GALILEO MAGNET HIGH 295
FRANKLIN HIGH 290
EASTERN MONTGOMERY HIGH 289
RAPPAHANNOCK CO. HIGH 287
NARROWS HIGH 285
NORTHWOOD HIGH 281
CASTLEWOOD HIGH 274
WEST POINT HIGH 273
WILLIAM CAMPBELL HIGH 260
THOMAS WALKER HIGH 257
BLAND COUNTY HIGH 256
CARVER COLLEGE AND CAREER ACADEMY 253
SURRY COUNTY HIGH 249
CRAIG COUNTY HIGH 232
J.I. BURTON HIGH 222
RYE COVE HIGH 208
CHARLES CITY CO HIGH 206
TWIN VALLEY HIGH 189
TWIN SPRINGS HIGH 185
HURLEY HIGH 182
COLONIAL BEACH HIGH 176
CHINCOTEAGUE HIGH 171
BATH COUNTY HIGH 167
King & Queen CENTRAL HIGH 159
COUNCIL HIGH 109
HIGHLAND HIGH 58

Last edited:
Don't put much stock in those numbers because they aren't accurate. If you have any kids go to governors school or they are placed in private placement, then they don't count against your ADM. I would expect a lot of schools numbers to be lower than is listed when the final VHSL numbers are released in June.

But they do give a decent idea of where people of headed in terms of growth/expansion of enrollment.

Lol , more like Fake Rings !
Lookin foward to another year of , (THEY MUST BE CHEATING ) , Ha Ha ! Essex the only contender last year , wonder who will be top dog from SW or Tidewater Va. ? Riverheads only has a few kids whom are seeking a 3 PEAT ! Oh that's right the rest are playing at the next level ! Be no Tigers in the hunt this year ! Stirrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrthepot !

RH graduates 104 this year. Only 8 were football players. Enrollment is down. Lot of juniors coming back as seniors. Looking forward to the Friday night lights already. Same final four would not be surprising.

Lookin foward to another year of , (THEY MUST BE CHEATING ) , Ha Ha ! Essex the only contender last year , wonder who will be top dog from SW or Tidewater Va. ? Riverheads only has a few kids whom are seeking a 3 PEAT ! Oh that's right the rest are playing at the next level ! Be no Tigers in the hunt this year ! Stirrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrthepot !
Some programs do it the right way, 3 peat 6 peat forever known as the fraud program of D1 LOL!

Some programs do it the right way, 3 peat 6 peat forever known as the fraud program of D1 LOL!
Call it what you like ! I enjoy watching the RED PRIDE run all over the likes of the Tiger Nation and keep bringing home those Championship Rings . I have yet understand why teams in your area don't run what Riverheads runs . If you can't beat someone why not Do What They Do ? Maybe some teams just enjoy being the first loser . LOL

Call it what you like ! I enjoy watching the RED PRIDE run all over the likes of the Tiger Nation and keep bringing home those Championship Rings . I have yet understand why teams in your area don't run what Riverheads runs . If you can't beat someone why not Do What They Do ? Maybe some teams just enjoy being the first loser . LOL
Wing tee football is a joke , Recreation league lol, deception ball at it finest ! Are those championships sending kids to the next level ? Just asking lol

Wing tee football is a joke , Recreation league lol, deception ball at it finest ! Are those championships sending kids to the next level ? Just asking lol
One to three a year play Saturday ball but we don't hear a lot about most of them . It's rare to hear of any kid in our area play on Sunday . Friday nights at its best !

Reactions: trutiger16
The education the kids get from football at RHS usually gets them a nice job after graduation ! lol

Actually 2 of 8 seniors signed with D2 schools, so I guess the answer is yes. Center and fullback. At least 3 are going to D1 schools for academics. How many tigers went to the next level? Just asking back lol!
On an enrollment note looks like Stonewall Jackson and Windsor may be going 2A in 2019 based on current numbers.

Actually 2 of 8 seniors signed with D2 schools, so I guess the answer is yes. Center and fullback. At least 3 are going to D1 schools for academics. How many tigers went to the next level? Just asking back lol!
On an enrollment note looks like Stonewall Jackson and Windsor may be going 2A in 2019 based on current numbers.
I think Page , Luray , and Stonewall will no longer be in the Shen Dist. next cycle . Big Red could move to the Pioneer .

I think Page , Luray , and Stonewall will no longer be in the Shen Dist. next cycle . Big Red could move to the Pioneer .
Have heard the same thing. I think the Bull Run District. Makes sense for those teams. Saw on 2A board that Stuarts Draft was looking for 3 games in 2019. Makes sense if those 3 are leaving. If RH goes to Pioneer more travel for several games. Time will tell but I think the wheels are in motion.

The Tigers are not the premier program in Va. My opinions do not represent Sussex in this conversation, You have the best program, the best coaches , numerous state titles with more to come so I figured the colleges would be tearing down the doors in Big Red Country. If not they must also see the yearly manipulation of the system your greatnest doesn't balance out lol! Congratulations on killing the credibility of D1 football lol hell 10 peat go for it !

Last edited:
Late getting in on this discussion. I will leave the bitchinandmoanin part of it to those of you that seem to enjoy that sort of thing, but will instead thank the person who posted the entire list. Some of those numbers were more than I would have thought for a particular school, others were less.

Poor Highland County for example. Wonder if they will just have to abandon any thought of sports for good, since half the enrollment is boys and you can assume that at least half of those would not be the least bit athletically-inclined. So I don't think they could field a team in any sport if their lives depended on it, or at least not a successful one. But I'll bet they get a quality education over there unless the teachers are the pits.

As for the thought of Stonewall moving up to 2-A, that would be terrible for them. They struggle enough as it is, and on that level, it would be even worse.

As for Riverheads moving to the Pioneer, that would not be my idea of a good time but we have been there, done that before, and I guess we could do it again if we have to. But what would be wrong with a nice compact district consisting of the five county schools plus Lee and Waynesboro? Travel would certainly NOT be a big deal.

Reactions: stubbie46
I enjoy seeing RHS play the local teams in all sports no matter the 1A or 2A classification. 4 trips shorter than the shortest Pioneer District trip means more fans at games for both teams involved in any of the match-ups. I thought these ADs like gate money? A district like Longtimer mentions there would be a dream, but I understand why it won't happen within today's classifications.

Wilson and Lee will be in 3A in the very near future with draft following shortly after. Gap seems to be on a steady decline and might be in 1A in the next few.

Have heard the same thing. I think the Bull Run District. Makes sense for those teams. Saw on 2A board that Stuarts Draft was looking for 3 games in 2019. Makes sense if those 3 are leaving. If RH goes to Pioneer more travel for several games. Time will tell but I think the wheels are in motion.
I hope not...unless George Mason, Central Woodstock and maybe Clarke go elsewhere. Plus, Rapp. Co comes and goes, seldom fields JV teams, and for some reason, didn't play in the baseball district tourney. No idea why the BRD always them to stay.

Last edited:
The next cycle, the Bull Run will be Madison, Strasburg, Clarke, Rapp, Page, Luray, Stonewall...these for sure. Central still a question mark. Mason definitely gone to Northwestern. East Rock wants in from what i heard. Depends on Central?

Looks like Fort Defiance and Waynesboro could be in the Shenandoah . Riverheads could be the only 1A school in the Shen . Crazy stuff going on ! Pioneer wants no part of the Red Team ! Not sure how fair this would be ? Next cycle will be a mess ! Anyone ?

Stuarts draft and wilson have been playing RE Lee for a long time. Its the rest of the bunch that have seemed apprehensive to it. For the most part riverheads has had good success agianst them and gap seems willing to play just about anyone. If im not mistaken the northern schools were not in favor of Lee coming in.

Stonewall moves up to 2A next cycle and wanted to move to Bull Run along with the other Shenandoah County teams. Luray decided they wanted to go as well. Page coaches were given a vote and the majority said Bull Run (XC coaches were not in the majority LOL)

Stonewall moves up to 2A next cycle and wanted to move to Bull Run along with the other Shenandoah County teams. Luray decided they wanted to go as well. Page coaches were given a vote and the majority said Bull Run (XC coaches were not in the majority LOL)
I don't think XC coaches really care who they play or what district they are put in ! They just play the team in front of them ! I don't blame the Shenandoah County teams for moving to the Bull Run . A lot of long bus rides home gets old year after year . I don't blame the Pioneer for not wanting Riverheads in their district . If Riverheads ends up the only 1A team in the Shen. , they won't be competitive in any sport other than football . Playing teams with near twice their numbers will make it hard ! jmo

I don't think XC coaches really care who they play or what district they are put in ! They just play the team in front of them ! I don't blame the Shenandoah County teams for moving to the Bull Run . A lot of long bus rides home gets old year after year . I don't blame the Pioneer for not wanting Riverheads in their district . If Riverheads ends up the only 1A team in the Shen. , they won't be competitive in any sport other than football . Playing teams with near twice their numbers will make it hard ! jmo
RH may not do well in a 2A dominated district in the future for most sports but all that matters in the end for RH is the region 1A and state 1A tournaments that they get to. They can finish 4th or 5th in the district and then go deep into regions and states in several sports based on the current region set-up. A good example this year is boys soccer. Finished 7th in district but will most likely win region or come in 2nd and will probably make it to at least state quarters this year in 1A. Girls tennis was 6-8 this year and 4th in district, won the 1A region and are in the state quarters this year already.

Last edited:
RH may not do well in a 2A dominated district in the future for most sports but all that matters in the end for RH is the region 1A and state 1A tournaments that they get to. They can finish 4th or 5th in the district and then go deep into regions and states in several sports based on the current region set-up. A good example this year is boys soccer. Finished 7th in district but will most likely win region or come in 2nd and will probably make it to at least state quarters this year in 1A. Girls tennis was 6-8 this year and 4th in district, won the 1A region and are in the state quarters this year already.
Well said ! Since the kids know each other from middle school and other reasons they love to compete against each other . Something called bragging rights ! 1A against mostly 2A and 3A in the county seams a little lopsided . I agree , once in post season RHS will hold their own .

If RHS is in Shenandoah, then I am happy.

Hearing Fort Defiance and Waynesboro coming in sounds like an improved district and just about every game is a backyard brawl.

I think RHS will be alright in all sports vs the bigger schools. Gladiators beat Fort this year in b-ball and even had a tight game with the Leemen. The entire district will have their issues with Lee B-ball, just as they Valley had. Baseball, softball, track, wrestling should be even footing, and volleyball, tennis and soccer have had their strong years and no reason they can’t again.

If I am wrong and the bigger schools dominate, then so be it. It will drive the smaller schools to get better. Will pay off in the post season and likely result in more banners on the wall.

I personally thought it was great to watch two locals in Salem this past year. Imagine if Fort or Waynesboro got it going and Staunton area could put 3 teams deep into the playoffs.

Well said ! Since the kids know each other from middle school and other reasons they love to compete against each other . Something called bragging rights ! 1A against mostly 2A and 3A in the county seams a little lopsided . I agree , once in post season RHS will hold their own .
Four of the spring teams from RHS have qualified for states as well as many track athletes. They may not bring home a single team title but impressive anyway. Baseball, softball, boys soccer, girls tennis. A tough district schedule against mainly 2A teams has definitely gotten these teams ready for 1A states. Enrollment under 450 from what I hear.

I would have to do some more research to verify this, but I believe this is the first school year in which Riverheads qualified for the state tournament in all three major sports. Tons of regional action over the years but really not very many state appearances for either basketball or baseball.

Updated Facts. Have at it.

Local to Augusta County, Wilson goes up.
Potential new Shenandoah District will range from Wbro's 811 to RHS' 447

Reactions: 2up2downNole
I would have to do some more research to verify this, but I believe this is the first school year in which Riverheads qualified for the state tournament in all three major sports. Tons of regional action over the years but really not very many state appearances for either basketball or baseball.

Not to degrade anything the Red Teams have done, but haven't followed any sports really closely besides football in a few years. I know how the area teams do in multiple sports, but are the other sports set up playoff wise, as in region winner etc.

I just remember the talk being on here about Riverheads small region that some thought was unfair, but I thought I remembered it being said only with regards to football. If I am remembering correctly, then seems like some others underestimated the other sports, and not even those kids who just made everything so unfair in football, but tennis AND wait for it... GIRLS.

What I have noticed across these boards is that people are going to gripe about any teams that are winning, whether deserved or not, and whether they know ANYTHING about it. There is a BIG difference in not liking someone/school and degrading them any chance you get, usually with the same old thing.

But I have figured out the student number argument. You see what these teams that people say "cheat" their numbers dont get is that these schools dont count the smart/unathletic kids since they cant help the team win. All these kids care about is doing the right thing/being intelligent but they dont help the team beat others by a lot, so they dont count. They care so little about the sports that they make sure their education isnt important.

Everyone knows I dont particularly care for Red Team, but these posts get incredibly old and redundant. Before football starts, I'll bet there are 2 more threads about their numbers. And if/when they win, there will be 10 more in a month.

But I get it, let's just say for a second that they are 10 kids over every year. I guess in the accusers minds that those 10 kids the 10 best players on the team, get a scholarship, are 25 years old, and have offers from every school in the nation. And dont get anyone started on Casto, he is obviously a terrible coach who should be coaching in the Bahamas where he really lives. The ONLY reason he has ever won a single game is because they are 1a. When he gets to the field, he spikes the opponents food sp they dont play well. If it weren't for Riverheads, (insert complaining posters team name) would have titles. Their team would beat every team on Riverheads schedule by 5+ td.

I say we start a petition, ban Riverheads from postseason play in ANY sport until they are playing in 12A in Florida where they belong. I mean fair is fair right, they hide 16,000 kids every year just to win. All those kids are IN the school when the numbers are taken, they just have VERY large bathrooms and janitors closet. And dont forget the ones playing on the jungle jim

Not to degrade anything the Red Teams have done, but haven't followed any sports really closely besides football in a few years. I know how the area teams do in multiple sports, but are the other sports set up playoff wise, as in region winner etc.

I just remember the talk being on here about Riverheads small region that some thought was unfair, but I thought I remembered it being said only with regards to football. If I am remembering correctly, then seems like some others underestimated the other sports, and not even those kids who just made everything so unfair in football, but tennis AND wait for it... GIRLS.

What I have noticed across these boards is that people are going to gripe about any teams that are winning, whether deserved or not, and whether they know ANYTHING about it. There is a BIG difference in not liking someone/school and degrading them any chance you get, usually with the same old thing.

But I have figured out the student number argument. You see what these teams that people say "cheat" their numbers dont get is that these schools dont count the smart/unathletic kids since they cant help the team win. All these kids care about is doing the right thing/being intelligent but they dont help the team beat others by a lot, so they dont count. They care so little about the sports that they make sure their education isnt important.

Everyone knows I dont particularly care for Red Team, but these posts get incredibly old and redundant. Before football starts, I'll bet there are 2 more threads about their numbers. And if/when they win, there will be 10 more in a month.

But I get it, let's just say for a second that they are 10 kids over every year. I guess in the accusers minds that those 10 kids the 10 best players on the team, get a scholarship, are 25 years old, and have offers from every school in the nation. And dont get anyone started on Casto, he is obviously a terrible coach who should be coaching in the Bahamas where he really lives. The ONLY reason he has ever won a single game is because they are 1a. When he gets to the field, he spikes the opponents food sp they dont play well. If it weren't for Riverheads, (insert complaining posters team name) would have titles. Their team would beat every team on Riverheads schedule by 5+ td.

I say we start a petition, ban Riverheads from postseason play in ANY sport until they are playing in 12A in Florida where they belong. I mean fair is fair right, they hide 16,000 kids every year just to win. All those kids are IN the school when the numbers are taken, they just have VERY large bathrooms and janitors closet. And dont forget the ones playing on the jungle jim
Whatyoubensmokin?

The number debate for RH should be put to rest. 447 and decreasing from what I hear. Losing some kids to Draft also. If you keep bringing it up it's just purely sour grapes or poor sportsmanship because your team can't compete. Last time I checked you're only allowed 11 on each side of the football at a time. If your team can't compete they need to work harder just like RH did after losing to Galax in 2015. I doubt you hear many complaints from RH when Waynesboro joins the district and RH has to compete against them even though they have 811. 811 vs 447 and 3A vs 1A. Doesn't sound fair but it is what it is, so live with it. Have a great summer!

Last edited:
Whatyoubensmokin?

Why because I took up for your team? I have over stupid things for many years. You see, unlike most on here, I have a reason to dislike your team, because of a rivalry, just as you dislike mine. Not because of who wins a game, or because of imaginary numbers, etc.

I just get tired of seeing the same thing all the time, and I dont even like them. Neither teams enrollment had anything to do with the good games and winners of the SD/RH games last few years, it had to do with the players on the team

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT