ADVERTISEMENT

Appo vs Gretna

oldfool

VaPreps Varsity
Nov 20, 2016
Will the Raiders be hawk hunting Friday night or will they be eating crow?

Have not seen the raiders play but have seen gretna play 4 or 5 times this year.A lot of speed on both sides of the ball and also a D1 prospect at wide receiver.Think Gretna wins this game unless the turnover bug bites them......

Reactions: obguthr
I have seen them play against Altavista the first time, Gretna is a good team. I do think this game will be a dogfight.

check me if I am wrong but don’t think so the raiders have only lost at home 1 time since the playoffs in 2014.. soo not looking good for the hawks , hawks lost this year to radford and could only score 6 pts .they have not seen anything like what they will on Friday nite . Sorry hawks. Raiders win .

Reactions: oldfool
check me if I am wrong but don’t think so the raiders have only lost at home 1 time since the playoffs in 2014.. soo not looking good for the hawks , hawks lost this year to radford and could only score 6 pts .they have not seen anything like what they will on Friday nite . Sorry hawks. Raiders win .
Correct me if i am wrong ,but i believe you are one of the posters that were predicting a raider win against heritage earlier in the year.Again i will go on record with saying that turnovers will determine who wins this game.Both teams are talented and depending on the state playoffs could meet again in the playoffs...

Reactions: obguthr
I do have to go with Appo winning this game. I had hoped to beat heritage but had a feeling we won't mature enough to beat them and it showed. I also wonder what happened against Radford as I feel like the hawks should have beat them. Lots of questions and lots of ball to be played.

Reactions: Stabler1980
I do have to go with Appo winning this game. I had hoped to beat heritage but had a feeling we won't mature enough to beat them and it showed. I also wonder what happened against Radford as I feel like the hawks should have beat them. Lots of questions and lots of ball to be played.
No excuses, however i do know Gretna was missing their stud running back for that game whom did not even dress out.I personally did not see that game however i don't think you will Gretna score only 6 points against anyone else and that includes the raiders.

Big thing no one talks about is Gretna has only gave up 27 points in 8 games. No one has scored more than one TD in a game and half their games have been shut outs. When I left Altavista game yesterday in fourth quarter they had not even had a first down in the game. We give Radford the ball four times in the red zone due to turnovers and defense only gave up a TD. Gretna thank goodness changed offence some after that game and has been on fire ever since. Out of 40 exyra point tries kicker has only missed twice and of course one would be the one we lost to Radford by. Think this will be good game. If Gretna can score they win. Don't see Appomattox putting up alot points against this defense.

Ukrazy! I don’t believe I ever said appo would beat heritage as a matter of fact I know I did not , appo led that game at halftime and if not for a turnover in the 2 nd half it could have gone a different way and heritage has beaten some quality teams since so that’s a tough comparison , question! you said there stud running back was out , so without him they can’t score ? Just asking ! Don’t get me wrong have not seen Gretna play this year so can only go by what you guys say , I hope it’s a good game and no injuries of course for both teams , I am just saying lost 1 time in 4 years at the Bragg . To me appo is the biggest surprise in the area not gretna they should be doing good with what they had coming back , so it would be a disappointment for them to lose I am sure . I don’t predict scores but Should be a great game maybe a field goal will be the difference ! Raider nation PO1

Hawknation who has gretna played this year that has a winning record ? Radford is rated 2 nd but that’s probably because they beat y’all ! Everyone. Else in the district or really down this year so appo has played subs in the 2 nd half’s and given up some points not by leaving your starters in till 2 mins left in the game just for stats , so glad y’all have only given up 27 points wow that’s fantastic. Maybe that’s shows the kind of schedule y’all have played , Friday a real football team will be on the other side ready to play also ! Looking for a good game !

Gretna has played about as much competition as Appomattox. We've both played two winning teams. One being William Campbell. Radford better team than anyone giving them credit for. They've played stiffer competition than the both of us, that's why they second in points. Glenvar pretty much locked up top two and only team that can realistically pass them for first is Radford if the beat them the last week. James River played Glenvar to 13-2 and 7-2 at halftime for their only loss. They play Radford this Friday. That will be a telling game also. I have already ran numbers if Radford just loses to Glenvar. Either winner of the Gretna/Appo game would be a nailbiter to try to get 2 from Radford even with Glenvar loss.

I agree with Hawk and said this a few weeks ago when the points first came out and looking at schedules. Even with a loss to Radford, Glenvar still still could out point everyone in Region C and have already locked up a 2 unless they lose to Giles. Should be a great game.

As far as the close game with Glenvar and JR....it was a mud bowl sloshfest so no one was going to score much. Look at the box score to read between the mud.

Big game and Appo stands for A game when it matters and Appo by at least 10 points. I go with the Raiders by 2 touchdown

Does anyone know if AHS will be selling advance tickets ? I predict long lines at gate and parking problems.

No excuses, however i do know Gretna was missing their stud running back for that game whom did not even dress out.I personally did not see that game however i don't think you will Gretna score only 6 points against anyone else and that includes the raiders.
Who was the stud running back who did not dress out for Radford? News to me. One of the running backs got poked in the eye and left the game but I was not aware any running back missed game. Gretna really doesn't have a stud running back per se but has several really good ones which means depth. Gretna played poorly but that should not take away from how well Radford played. And Radford was the team who had to travel.

This will be a big test for both teams. If Appo plays sloppy it may get ugly. If we are sharp it should be a good game.

Watch line play for both schools and turnovers/penalties. This usually determines who wins at all levels of football. Whomever controls line on both sides of the ball, mistakes and turnovers especially. This game should be an even match and Appomattox is playing at home where they are tough even in lean years.

My gut says Appo, but the numbers say Gretna. This may finally be the day the Raiders' reign of terror comes to an end. Turnovers are always key, but penalties could also be a factor in a high stakes game like this.

My gut says Appo, but the numbers say Gretna. This may finally be the day the Raiders' reign of terror comes to an end. Turnovers are always key, but penalties could also be a factor in a high stakes game like this.
Appo is missing a strong passing game. This is something they had in previous 3 years. This is hurting them bad. Tre is young and he will develop into a great QB. This team is young and many of the coaches left after this last year.

Appo is missing a strong passing game. This is something they had in previous 3 years. This is hurting them bad. Tre is young and he will develop into a great QB. This team is young and many of the coaches left after this last year.
But to coach Smith and staffs credit, they recognize this and have made adjustments to become a more run oriented team. Speaks volumes as to their coaching ability. You have to do this in high school unlike college and pro where you recruit and draft to fit your style. Appomattox changes to meet the realities of the players they have. Freshman QB will probably develop into a really good passer as time goes by.

As they say, "Offense wins games, Defenses win championships"........... Coach Crouch's defense have been outstanding this season. I've been on the Appomattox wagon for three seasons, but I'm predicting an upset in Appomattox. Low scoring game overall, Gretna uses its defense and team speed to edge the Raiders. It will be a really close game......Gretna 21 Appomattox 14. A defensive touchdown will be the difference. Good luck to both teams!!

Looked up stats of gretna - radford. Radford 230yds Gretna 160. I know Canada left with injury. Radford missed 3 FGs. I have seen radford twice. Their true test on how much better they have gotten will be against Glenvar

Safe to say, Appomattox has more speed than anyone Gretna has played. Other than Radford, Gretna has played no one.

Safe to say, Appomattox has more speed than anyone Gretna has played. Other than Radford, Gretna has played no one.
Hey HR I thought you were a die hard Gretna fan? What is that negative comment about Gretna has played no one? They play who is on their schedule.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT