ADVERTISEMENT

Appo vs Gretna

Big game and Appo stands for A game when it matters and Appo by at least 10 points. I go with the Raiders by 2 touchdown

My bad. I meant 2tds and a field goal. The rest of 2A Va will have a tough time with the Raiders. A stands for Appo and A stands for A game when it matters. I am a troll for saying my team is 2 TDs better than any 2A team in Va. Yep, I'm a happy troll, and I'm also right.

Reactions: Trevor_Cash
1 more thing, Ridge Valley lost to night to Abingdale. Yep, that west is tough. It really isn't. No team out there comes within 2 TDs of Appo. This makes me a troll .I'm a happy troll. Trolls are sometimes corect.

1 more thing, Ridge Valley lost to night to Abingdale. Yep, that west is tough. It really isn't. No team out there comes within 2 TDs of Appo. This makes me a troll .I'm a happy troll. Trolls are sometimes corect.
Worry about making it out of your own region before you worry about 2D or the eastern half. There are teams just as good as Appo out there.

Reactions: oldfool
You are truly a troll if you think the raiders are 2 touchdowns better than everyone else.i say put your money where your mouth is if the raiders make it to the 3rd or 4th round.i will gladly meet you at any game to prove you wrong.NUF SAID

Ukrazy! I differently don’t agree with some of the comments from the new person on here but I might have to take you up on that one 3 rd , that’s the region championship game correct , as I have been saying all along they are just so young this year but I think they can win there first 2 rounds , I might be totally wrong and we have had some great debates over the past few years but it is fun to see how things go !!who would have thought they would be in the mix this year after losing so much it is truly amazing and a testament to the dedication from the coaches and players !

Last edited:
Reactions: Bo Bob and oldfool
Good to be confident but you need to hear what Coach Smith tells the boys on being humble.

Please guys.
Don’t judge all Appomattox fans by a small portion.

Gretna will be a tough out for anyone including the Raiders in the playoffs!

Last edited:
My take. These teams are very evenly matched. Gretna moves the ball and could have scored more but had some drives stall. Account some of that to individuals stepping up and making a big play on D. The Raiders-True, the offense is one dimensional. Passing is a struggle. But the one dimension is decent. They moved the ball on the ground very well at times against a good Gretna defense. The Raiders miss the big play speed from past years. Gretna- fast and aggressive. Very tough to run wide on. The QB is a better runner than passer. If he could consistently get the ball to Hicks they would be very tough to stop. Not many DBs in 2A can cover that kid. He’s big and fast. Good chance these two meet again in Nov.

Raiders pass coverage has definitely improved from earlier in the season, Gretna's big reciever went 1-4 for the deep ball because Appo's CBs timed it perfect without pass interference and knocked it down. Also, true, Appo has nearly the passing game we use to as it has a true freshman QB that just turned 15 2 days ago, but we have a great coach and Coach Smith had to adjust and go to his strengths. Ground and pound for the first down to eat that clock. Smart. Yes, Appos defense stepped up big and played a good D game to shut down Gretnas O. Hats off to coach Castello for being the Wing T killer. Still was a good game, only 1 turn over for each team so it was even there, Appos special team was a huge factor. If we meet again in the playoffs I see another good game with adjustments from Gretna which Smith will need and can adjust to. All in all, 2 good teams. Until we me again, at BRAGG STADIUM !!! #RaiderCountry #PO1

One last thing, I didn't hear NOTHING about Gretna's QB having a bum leg until after they loss. Just sayin. I was at the the game and he was pretty fast to me and show no signs of limping. ‍♂️
Not to give credit to excuses, but will say I was told before the game the qb had an ankle injury and barely played against Altavista last week. I also did notice a limp at times.

Appomattox isn’t near the team they were last year and even last year they weren’t two touchdowns better than every team

One last thing, I didn't hear NOTHING about Gretna's QB having a bum leg until after they loss. Just sayin. I was at the the game and he was pretty fast to me and show no signs of limping. ‍♂️
He had an ankle sprain in the William Campbell game. Simple sprain not a high ankle sprain. Use him sparingly against Altavista. It was ok for Appomattox after therapy and it was taped. Was zero issue. Totally a non issue.

Reactions: HolyFrog
Appo 24-7
Big win for Appomattox. Freshman QB for Raiders was really impressive with how he handled the offense. Passing will probably come around but his poise and leadership was apparent. In Gretnas two losses this season they have had terrible starts.

Big win for Appomattox. Freshman QB for Raiders was really impressive with how he handled the offense. Passing will probably come around but his poise and leadership was apparent. In Gretnas two losses this season they have had terrible starts.
I will be honest, I saw Gretna play twice against in named team . What I saw of Gretna had me concerned they may beat Appo. I know our weakness and saw Gretnas speed. I figured them to be in our backfield way more than they were. APPOS o line and defense stepped up and showed a great performance.

I will be honest, I saw Gretna play twice against in named team . What I saw of Gretna had me concerned they may beat Appo. I know our weakness and saw Gretnas speed. I figured them to be in our backfield way more than they were. APPOS o line and defense stepped up and showed a great performance.
Appomattox line play was impressive. LOL and Appomattox is not exactly slow themselves. And Appomattox does not do things to lose games. They played smart.

Figured game would be closer. But had a feeling of the outcome and after about two minutes into the game knew it. You do not have to be better than Gretna, just fundamental sound, talented, and coached. Gretna's coach will never win a big game. Does not know how to prepare team. Same thing in both losses. He tries to put in all the knew plays he thinks going fool someone and only confuses the kids. Talked to some that weren't sure where the plays they called were going or which hole to hit. About everything they ran was put in this week. QB still a little banged up but still should have been better prepared. For five years now anyone in Gretna that's been following program a long time has said same thing. Never return to state with this joke of a coach. Last year they brought Crouch in and he turned defense around. They finish 5-5 at best last year without that defense. Seconf game this year they had secret coaches meeting without Crouch and took him off defense and give it back to coaches buddy that was giving up 36 points a game previous two years. They beat these weaker teams because I would argue they have most talented team in state. Have no clue what to do when they actually have to coach. Think about it. Gretna basically returned whole team and lost by one point more this year to Appomattox who lost their entire team than last year. As long as they are currently coached by this coach, there is no reason to even argue about who they going beat. Doesn't matter and I feel for kids who get shaded on this. My son graduated last year and played for him for five years. He want even speak to the coach when he sees him. Matter of fact said he wouldn't piss on him if he was on fire. That's pretty much the sentiment of everyone in Gretna and everyone that had to play for him.

Figured game would be closer. But had a feeling of the outcome and after about two minutes into the game knew it. You do not have to be better than Gretna, just fundamental sound, talented, and coached. Gretna's coach will never win a big game. Does not know how to prepare team. Same thing in both losses. He tries to put in all the knew plays he thinks going fool someone and only confuses the kids. Talked to some that weren't sure where the plays they called were going or which hole to hit. About everything they ran was put in this week. QB still a little banged up but still should have been better prepared. For five years now anyone in Gretna that's been following program a long time has said same thing. Never return to state with this joke of a coach. Last year they brought Crouch in and he turned defense around. They finish 5-5 at best last year without that defense. Seconf game this year they had secret coaches meeting without Crouch and took him off defense and give it back to coaches buddy that was giving up 36 points a game previous two years. They beat these weaker teams because I would argue they have most talented team in state. Have no clue what to do when they actually have to coach. Think about it. Gretna basically returned whole team and lost by one point more this year to Appomattox who lost their entire team than last year. As long as they are currently coached by this coach, there is no reason to even argue about who they going beat. Doesn't matter and I feel for kids who get shaded on this. My son graduated last year and played for him for five years. He want even speak to the coach when he sees him. Matter of fact said he wouldn't piss on him if he was on fire. That's pretty much the sentiment of everyone in Gretna and everyone that had to play for him.

Dynasty programs (Hampton, Phoebus, Giles, Salem, Parry Mccluer, Riverheads, Madison County, Powell Vally, Appalachia, etc.) often KISS (keep it simple stupid) and master precise execution. Other programs that are occasional contenders have to rely on having a crop of exceptional talent.

I have sympathy for how you feel. You have a right to your opinion. Who knows maybe you are right on some things but aren't you being a little hard on this coaching staff? Have YOU ever coached at any level?

Yes coached most of previous kids in little league but have to know story in Gretna. In 2013 after losing in first round of playoffs and being ranked number one for most of that season, some of the boosters tried telling previous coach what he was going to run. The current coach who everyone else knew was the problem calling offense was running around behind coaches back with boosters getting in with them. So they ran old coach off for their puppet. He had only coached at Chatham three seasons with his buddy he brought where they one three games in three seasons. We have good coaches on staff who he will never listen to. Ran off all our coaches under last staff. Ran off some of our former players that won state championships and played in college. As he told them when they tried to help "they didn't know what they were talking about. " Yea a coach that only football experience including playing was a few lossing seasons playing for Chatham and three terrible seasons coaching for them. I have a better question. What has he ever done that qualifies him to coach high school?

Above is why I told you the Raiders win by 2 TDs cause we got Smith and when the scoreboard says 12 minutes in first qtr we are up 7 or 10-0. State title is Appo vs Glenvar in game three of the playoffs in region C.

After watching Gretna and even Altavista play last year and knowing what players both teams were returning I had hoped both teams would be a major threat this year. I love my raiders but I like to see kids grow and be successful no matter what school they play for.

Above is why I told you the Raiders win by 2 TDs cause we got Smith and when the scoreboard says 12 minutes in first qtr we are up 7 or 10-0. State title is Appo vs Glenvar in game three of the playoffs in region C.
Glenvar will be third round team for Appo again. But certainly not state title game.

Yes coached most of previous kids in little league but have to know story in Gretna. In 2013 after losing in first round of playoffs and being ranked number one for most of that season, some of the boosters tried telling previous coach what he was going to run. The current coach who everyone else knew was the problem calling offense was running around behind coaches back with boosters getting in with them. So they ran old coach off for their puppet. He had only coached at Chatham three seasons with his buddy he brought where they one three games in three seasons. We have good coaches on staff who he will never listen to. Ran off all our coaches under last staff. Ran off some of our former players that won state championships and played in college. As he told them when they tried to help "they didn't know what they were talking about. " Yea a coach that only football experience including playing was a few lossing seasons playing for Chatham and three terrible seasons coaching for them. I have a better question. What has he ever done that qualifies him to coach high school?
What qualifies him is he is a teacher first and foremost. Plus he has put in his time as an assitant at Chatham and then at Gretna under Kevin Saunders. Dont know if coaching little league gives you the right to call him out. As for previous coach Kevin Saunders no one ran him out. He left of his own accord as has been his history at the other schools at which he coached.Saunders rep was a great coach but hard to get along with.

I think some other teams will have a say in that. There is certainly more contenders than just Appomattox and Glenvar

So because you a teacher
What qualifies him is he is a teacher first and foremost. Plus he has put in his time as an assitant at Chatham and then at Gretna under Kevin Saunders. Dont know if coaching little league gives you the right to call him out. As for previous coach Kevin Saunders no one ran him out. He left of his own accord as has been his history at the other schools at which he coached.Saunders rep was a great coach but hard to get along with.
Wouldn't be first time he has been called out. Was in the county meeting with rest of parents his first year trying to get him out. Especially after he lost a player found with drugs in school and he instructed his players where to bury it before they get to school so they don't cost the team. Or when his on players met two years in a row to vote on rather to even finish the season playing for him. Trust me , know all about how he was under Saunders for couple of years. Was big push to get him out of offensive play calling then. Now he tells the kids how Saunders didn't know what to do in the 2011 Championship season and if he hadn't took over play calling on both sides of the ball we would have lost. Which in case you wondering was an out right lie. That's why Saunders had already agreed to come back middle way of that first season if county board would have booted him for endorsing drug use with the players. Even had players give his statements to school officials. You right administration and booster didn't get along with Saunders but he won. They got someone that would do their bidding and now you see what you got. Saunders former players loved being coached under him and have yet to meet any player that likes playing for current coach. When personal egos and buddy system over takes what the kids need them this is what you got. All you have to do is talk to current coach and he will tell you how great he is. Like he said. He comes up with the perfect game plan, the kids ate not executing it properly. Always blames the kids. Players don't lose ball games, coaches do. Great qoute from great coach Brad Bradley.

So because you a teacher

Wouldn't be first time he has been called out. Was in the county meeting with rest of parents his first year trying to get him out. Especially after he lost a player found with drugs in school and he instructed his players where to bury it before they get to school so they don't cost the team. Or when his on players met two years in a row to vote on rather to even finish the season playing for him. Trust me , know all about how he was under Saunders for couple of years. Was big push to get him out of offensive play calling then. Now he tells the kids how Saunders didn't know what to do in the 2011 Championship season and if he hadn't took over play calling on both sides of the ball we would have lost. Which in case you wondering was an out right lie. That's why Saunders had already agreed to come back middle way of that first season if county board would have booted him for endorsing drug use with the players. Even had players give his statements to school officials. You right administration and booster didn't get along with Saunders but he won. They got someone that would do their bidding and now you see what you got. Saunders former players loved being coached under him and have yet to meet any player that likes playing for current coach. When personal egos and buddy system over takes what the kids need them this is what you got. All you have to do is talk to current coach and he will tell you how great he is. Like he said. He comes up with the perfect game plan, the kids ate not executing it properly. Always blames the kids. Players don't lose ball games, coaches do. Great qoute from great coach Brad Bradley.

I heard you didn't like Saunders either. Isn't that correct? As far as those other statements, you really don't believe what you just posted do you. Unbelievable.

My son loved Saunders, that's all that mattered. I didn't have to play for him. I learned to like Saunders cause he got the most out of my son. Was sad to see the passion for football leave his eyes after four years of current coach.

So he lost his passion for football because of coach BUT PLAYED 4 MORE YEARS FOR THIS TERRIBLE COACH??? LOL. Makes sense.

Sorry about that. My post was they say he won with less talent than some earlier Gretna coaches had.

Above is why I told you the Raiders win by 2 TDs cause we got Smith and when the scoreboard says 12 minutes in first qtr we are up 7 or 10-0. State title is Appo vs Glenvar in game three of the playoffs in regi C.
No use to have the game between the raiders and Glenvar.You have already posted earlier that the raiders were 2 touchdowns better than any 2A TEAM. Lets just go ahead and award them the trophy and save the glenvar fans a whole lot of money.......

No use to have the game between the raiders and Glenvar.You have already posted earlier that the raiders were 2 touchdowns better than any 2A TEAM. Lets just go ahead and award them the trophy and save the glenvar fans a whole lot of money.......

Remember.
Don’t judge all fans by the one.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT