ADVERTISEMENT

Appomattox prediction for the year

AdvocateOfMany434

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Oct 13, 2015
757 Area
I apologize for hyping up our team before the season, we have fallen to 1-6. This team murdered teams from middle school, AAU, and on JV, dont know what the problem is now. I have been waiting for this day and being let down. Its a hard pill to swallow.

I know our coach runs a slower type of offense than what the kids are used to, but that doesnt tell the whole story.
Poor shooting percentage at line and at the FG, 3pt, poor defensive reads. I know the quest to achieve 2A state championship (won it BTW) had something to do with it. We have 9 football, 1 golf state champions on this team and its hard watching them lose. They are not showing the same chemistry that had been seen in the past. We have studs on this team and they are not playing to their capabilities.

I hope to see them turn it around, but if this team dont run like the stallions (held in a cage) they are, well.....I dont see nothing changing. Need to work more transition ball (AAU style). Im the biggest fan of making a team make me set up a play. Setting up a play is my LAST option. We will turn it around, we have nothing but a bunch of WINNERS on this team that hates defeat!

Clarke County basketball is 2-10 so far, experiencing the same problems. Playing 5 extra football games into mid December took a lot out of the kids that moved straight into basketball.

On the other hand, the Clarke football players that moved straight to wrestling are doing great.

Reactions: AdvocateOfMany434
Maybe, just maybe, the talent isn't there in basketball ball. If, you're good or bad, it usually shows rather quickly.

Clarke County basketball is 2-10 so far, experiencing the same problems. Playing 5 extra football games into mid December took a lot out of the kids that moved straight into basketball.

On the other hand, the Clarke football players that moved straight to wrestling are doing great.
Same here bro, our basketball players are struggling, but our wrestlers are doing GREAT!!! We have 2 players that are wrestling and I think they may have lost 2 matches. One of them (Christian Kennedy) had a AC joint sprain at Brookeville this weekend, he is out for 2 weeks. Leonard Marshall is destroying his competition at 220, but he trying to go down to 195 or 189. His playing weight was 235.

Maybe, just maybe, the talent isn't there in basketball ball. If, you're good or bad, it usually shows rather quickly.
How did this same team crush it in AAU, JV, and middle school playing the same talent they did back then? Talent is there. We played yall (Martinsville) in AAU many times at the Spectrum. Yall didnt blow us out?

RH =Randolph Henry? If so, is Joe Reed playing this year?
No, he hasn't played in a couple of years. Too bad. He is the best athlete in the school.
I said the same thing about RH at the beginning...sad times for us. It's gotta be the coaching.
I thought the team would have been better also. Somewhere in the middle of the pack at best because of the lack of experience. Saw a couple of games early and was surprised to see how weak they were inside. Also the perimeter shooting was just awful. A friend of mine saw them Friday at Buckingham. She said they looked better (lost by 2 and had the last shot). I think the Pugh kid has been the only consistent player for them. As for the coaching, I think they have guys who know the game. I thought the addition of Haskins was really good, former James River District POY. I assume they are in a building mode at this time especially with all the young talent they have.

No, he hasn't played in a couple of years. Too bad. He is the best athlete in the school.

Yeah i remember he didnt play last year. I remember his 10th grade year, he stood straight under the goal after a offensive rebound with 10 seconds left in a game and jumped straight up with a double hand jam. WOW! Impressive!

Clark has almost always been a basketball team made up of "football first" players. Emmart does a great job getting what he does with mostly football players. I would like to see what he could do with a team of "basketball first" players

Clarke County had two kids who played last year decide to swim this year and one other player quit after the second game. They all would have played minutes however all three are football first players

To much talent in Appo to be 1-6 I watched them Play Altavista this year they can't shoot from out side .

The same players that played football at Altavista played Basketball as well what they accomplished is amazing ! Winning 3 basketball state in a row & winning Football 2 in a row. It can be done but it helps to have coaching .

Reactions: AntGZee
To much talent in Appo to be 1-6 I watched them Play Altavista this year they can't shoot from out side .
I disagree, yes too much talent, but we have shooters. That game was a horrible shooting night for us. Some of our shooters wont shoot ball, THAT IS THE PROBLEM! Matt Page, Deven Dews, Chase Mayberry can all shoot well from 3 pt land.

Appomattox County has been confusing.
They hosted Dan River & lost 52-50!
But they lost to Altavista 42-30 & Chatham 48-46.
Altavista edged Chatham 46-45 or something like that.
Dan River crushed both Chatham (80-37) & Altavista (70-45).
That is exactly what I am saying! Dan River??? I thought we was going to get killed by 25 points. Our boys showed me something in that game. Game went down to last 2 seconds. I thought it was going to catapult the kids and show them they can play with the big boys of 2A. Then Chatham happened....
I hope we can pull it together in the upcoming weeks. I know I have seen these guys play at an elite level and it hurts to see em struggling.

Martinsville is the real deal! I know they are a basketball first school. I seen them play AAU (we have played against them). Appomattox is a Football first school. Its still a shame with the talent that has come out of Appo, that we have not claimed a ring throughout the years. Everyone said, this would be the year for them to do it in Basketball and Football.

I think it may have been a lil delusional to think basketball would have been their year to win it, considering what was in front of them.

Martinsville and Henry Co area has always been a bball area. Mavahi with 14, Drewey Mason 3, GW Carver 2, Magna Vista with 2 and Bassett with 1, that's alot of state championships in one small area. Also DM's girls I believe won 1 and also Carver's girls won 1 or 2, MV girls have 1 and Bassett also had at least one state title, so overall this is a bball area.

Carver would hv had 3, had Kulahas Swinney not broken his ankle. He was Shaq bk when I was in school.

Advocate - Your boys gave DR all they wanted and more the first time you played. I believe Appo led by 3 starting the 4th quarter. Do you think you can get over the hump in the rematch? That would be a statement win and certainly the confidence booster that they would need to head into the postseason.

Reactions: AdvocateOfMany434
Advocate - Your boys gave DR all they wanted and more the first time you played. I believe Appo led by 3 starting the 4th quarter. Do you think you can get over the hump in the rematch? That would be a statement win and certainly the confidence booster that they would need to head into the postseason.
I cant believe the 3-2 worked so well vs. D.R. that game. Our Man D is not all that well right now. We are forced to play zone at this time. Coach got his hands tied a little. Then we played Chatham next game with mostly that 3-2 and got crushed with backdoor and sloppy zone reads. I got faith in this team. I know everyone wants to blame coaching, but we are not doing the little things (hitting FTs for example). I think we will bounce back, keep ya eye out.

Reactions: AntGZee
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT