ADVERTISEMENT

Appomattox vs Glenvar 3

Bo Bob

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Dec 1, 2016
So what’s folks thoughts here. Third year in a row they meet in the playoffs. Glenvar hosted the first two meetings and the Raiders will host this one.
Glenvar is tough so the Raiders need to be ready.

Glenvar is a pretty big team and their quarterback throws the all well they should be a tough opponent for Appomattox

So what’s folks thoughts here. Third year in a row they meet in the playoffs. Glenvar hosted the first two meetings and the Raiders will host this one.
Glenvar is tough so the Raiders need to be ready.
APPO - PF 409/37 per game average thru 11 games. PA 190/17 per game average thru 11
GLENVAR PF 387/35 per game average thru 11. PA 183/17 per game average thru 11
Teams are pretty evenly matched from an offensive and defensive perspective. APPO had one shut out and GLENVAR had 2.

APPO - PF 409/37 per game average thru 11 games. PA 190/17 per game average thru 11
Teams are pretty evenly matched from an offensive and defensive perspective. APPO had one shut out and GLENVAR had 2.
In Appomattox defense, minus the Buckingham, Rustburg,Heritage and Gretna games, Appomattox starters were off the field early.

Reactions: oldfool2
Raiders seem to be clicking at the right time and I think Glenvar looks to be clicking well too so should be a good high school football game . Just think the edge goes to the home team , raiders roll 35-14.

I look for another close game like last year. Glenvar 24-21. Glenvar is at full strength and seems to hitting on all cylinders which wasn't the case the last two years. Also, I like what I am seeing in the pass game. Glenvar was already tough on the run. Balance has been restored.

Said before the year started Gretna or Glenvar would advance to the Region title game over either Radford or Appo. Unfortunately, it looks like Gretna is the favorite to do that, but I did write that Glenvar would suffer a lot of early losses and be counted out by the time they reached the playoffs only to cause some problems. I favor Appo, but close and not by more than 10 points. When healthy, Glenvar, like Radford, is a good football team.

I have watched Glenvar but not Appo. Based on what I know of Glenvar and hear and saw of Appo last year, Appomattox will win by multiple touchdowns. The Glenvar QB is average. He has taken advantage of bad TRD teams. Appomattox has the horses that will wear Glenvar down quickly.

I haven't seen either team play, but Glenvar appears to have a good passing game. They could give Appo trouble.

I haven't seen either team play, but Glenvar appears to have a good passing game. They could give Appo trouble.
To me Appomattox is an athletic team. A power run team may have a better chance than a team that wants to throw it 20 times on them.

Not that I would really have any reason except what I read, did Glenvar lose a lot from last year? I was expecting them to win those early games, but does seem they are peaking.

I see 7 teams that could realistically make in to Salem in C/D.

Radford beat Glenvar. Gretna should have won game against Radford but got beat pretty good by Appo. Appo is only team to really handle Gretna this year so think they beat Glenvar by 2 or 3 tds.

I am pretty sure they lost a absolute stud lineman and some argued two of them if I remember correctly. That sometimes takes a minute to address. I know someone said the QB is average, if that’s average then I would take average every day of the week. That kid can spin it to be a sophomore. Two Seniors at WR and another Senior in the backfield give some continuity. I give them a legit shot to take down Appo. The issue I suppose I see is that Glenvar is fairly balanced which helps them run the ball. I do not see them as a power run team and that to me is the only way you attack Appo. Appo has athletes that can cover your WR but appear to struggle a bit against a smash mouth team. I could be wrong about that but IMO that type of football and it being early season is the reason Buckingham won their matchup. Either way I think it’s a closer game than some expect with the edge clearly in Appomattox’s favor.

I am pretty sure they lost a absolute stud lineman and some argued two of them if I remember correctly. That sometimes takes a minute to address. I know someone said the QB is average, if that’s average then I would take average every day of the week. That kid can spin it to be a sophomore. Two Seniors at WR and another Senior in the backfield give some continuity. I give them a legit shot to take down Appo. The issue I suppose I see is that Glenvar is fairly balanced which helps them run the ball. I do not see them as a power run team and that to me is the only way you attack Appo. Appo has athletes that can cover your WR but appear to struggle a bit against a smash mouth team. I could be wrong about that but IMO that type of football and it being early season is the reason Buckingham won their matchup. Either way I think it’s a closer game than some expect with the edge clearly in Appomattox’s favor.

I agree completely. Our young QB has 1700+ yards passing with 18 TDs, 6 against Floyd in their last outing. Two senior backs one with 18 TDs and the other with 17. Playing well at the right time and they have been pretty decent on D their last 8 games with Floyd scoring more than they should in the regular season due to 2nd team
D. Made up for that in the playoff at 42-7. I think Glenvar matches up as well as anyone. That's why we play the game. Both teams display sportsmanship qualities so it should be a good clean game. Cant wait.

Glenvar' s offense isn't that good. If their "D" can't hold field position for them most of the game, Appo should win by at least 2 TD's

Glenvar' s offense isn't that good. If their "D" can't hold field position for them most of the game, Appo should win by at least 2 TD's
I disagree. The problem with our offense has not been a lack of skill but rather a lack of play calling. This team is talented offensively but have to run the plays that are called. Not trying to be negative here but you must have someone willing to use some imagination and think outside the box. With the right plays dialed up we'll compete. Hopefully we'll have the wrinkles ironed out.I have always contended that play callers are born not learned. Had a doctor tell me once he could teach me how to take an appendix out in 20 minutes but 4 years to know what to do if something goes wrong! Got to know what to do if something goes south IMO.

Lol, a little different approach on that analogy but I get what your saying. The one caveat is that teams are who they are by this point and the half dozen plays you should be good at need to be effective and be robust enough to have that little wrinkle you were mentioning when needed.

Reactions: Marshall-Dillon
I agree but if your going to run the ball every series on 1st and 2nd down and an obvious 3rd down passing situation as opposed to throwing on 1st or 2nd with some play action and running on 3rd. All I was saying is mix it up. Screens, look ins, drag receivers an occasional reverse, jet motion all designed to keep the LBs home and guessing instead of crashing on predictable que. Many of these defensive coaches are smart and second half adjustments can be devastating to an offense. Watched it this weekend with Oklahoma and Baylor. A little frustrated. Sorry venting a little. We have good coaches and the past 5 or 6 years have been awesome. All of us as fans just want the best for our boys. I am sure you'll agree!

I would agree that you must have some different plays from the same look/motion. I don’t agree you need enough plays to need a wrist card and be running the “look to me” offense to be successful. At least not at the 1A and 2A level in my opinion. And I will beat this drum forever, few and I mean very few teams can effectively run a spread offense in high school with a student body population under 800. How many true athletes do most high school teams in 1A or 2A have? I mean legit athletes that could play multiple positions and would most likely standout against others in their classification. I say most schools have 2 or maybe 3 at most. A team like last years Graham with by my estimation 4 or 5 standout players, does not come along every year. I intend no disrespect as I think Glenvar is a quality team but bleacher coaching will kill that program like it has others. Trust the process that brought you a title a few years ago, the coaches were good enough then and are now.

Thanks brother. I dont voice these concerns to coaches or anyone else for that matter. I coached for 18 years here in Rec program against Salem Craig etc. and I didn't like bleacher coaching then and I dont like it now. Your right of course. Appreciate ya

I would agree that you must have some different plays from the same look/motion. I don’t agree you need enough plays to need a wrist card and be running the “look to me” offense to be successful. At least not at the 1A and 2A level in my opinion. And I will beat this drum forever, few and I mean very few teams can effectively run a spread offense in high school with a student body population under 800. How many true athletes do most high school teams in 1A or 2A have? I mean legit athletes that could play multiple positions and would most likely standout against others in their classification. I say most schools have 2 or maybe 3 at most. A team like last years Graham with by my estimation 4 or 5 standout players, does not come along every year. I intend no disrespect as I think Glenvar is a quality team but bleacher coaching will kill that program like it has others. Trust the process that brought you a title a few years ago, the coaches were good enough then and are now.
Buckingham has 5 of those type players and I don't think they use them all enough. I understand what Region C Fan is saying. When they all touch the ball we are dangerous.

I will say, Coach Smith could care less about shut outs, once he feels he's got the W he starts pulling key players, actually a lot of first string to keep them healthy for moments like this. I do believe Appo could have had 3 or 4 shut outs if he didnt do what he does, and also he's not concerned to see how many point he can put on the board. Just never has been his way. I agree with him on that. Although we do like seeing shut outs. We could have shut out Gretna but we had our subs in.

Coach Clifford is the same way. First 0 plays 1st half and the opening series in the 2nd and pulls most starters as you say to avoid injury. The exceptions this year were Galax, Riverheads, Hidden Valley and Radford. Coach Smith is a class act. He has done amazing things with his kids. Coach Clifford has made some strides with his boys over the last 5 or 6 years also. Should be a well coached game. One of our opponents this year we took a knee on the 2 late in the game. I mentioned shutouts not as a measurement of D talent although in recent years both Glenver and Appo had devastating defenses with multiple shutouts and it was a point of contention. I agree if shutouts are your goal you probably wouldn't replace your starters. Look forward to these two teams leaving it all on the field!

I will say, Coach Smith could care less about shut outs, once he feels he's got the W he starts pulling key players, actually a lot of first string to keep them healthy for moments like this. I do believe Appo could have had 3 or 4 shut outs if he didnt do what he does, and also he's not concerned to see how many point he can put on the board. Just never has been his way. I agree with him on that. Although we do like seeing shut outs. We could have shut out Gretna but we had our subs in.
While later in the game that was against the 1’s.
It was a dropped hand off that Gretna picked back up and ran for the TD. Inside 4 minutes I think but that made it 21-7

It was a dropped hand off that Gretna picked back up and ran for the TD. Inside 4 minutes I think but that made it 21-7
Ill go back and look but i believe your correct

I was the one that said average because against Radford, he was 3 of 11 had less than 50 yds passing and 35 of it was on a screen pass. Maybe an off night but Radford isn't a great pass defense team. I believe he has mostly taken advantage of bad teams. Other than Radford and Glenvar the TRD is not very good.

@RadfordCat, thats fair enough but he is a So and the only time I seen him, he hit 2 long passes that were on the money to Seabold (SP) in stride and probably 40+ in the air. He spins it well and the nose is down on the ball with velocity which is what I look at. I am not sold on their RB but he did catch a screen and truck stick a DB to score so I suppose in the end he is serviceable.

Reactions: RadfordCat
I have watched Glenvar but not Appo. Based on what I know of Glenvar and hear and saw of Appo last year, Appomattox will win by multiple touchdowns. The Glenvar QB is average. He has taken advantage of bad TRD teams. Appomattox has the horses that will wear Glenvar down quickly.
I have heard the predictions of Appo by 2-3 touchdowns over Glenvar now for 3 years straight but the games have all been very close, right to the end...so I'm not buying this prediction at all but we shall see in 48 hours.

Last edited:
I was the one that said average because against Radford, he was 3 of 11 had less than 50 yds passing and 35 of it was on a screen pass. Maybe an off night but Radford isn't a great pass defense team. I believe he has mostly taken advantage of bad teams. Other than Radford and Glenvar the TRD is not very good.
There is a huge new wrinkle in the passing game since Radford. Again, we shall see on Friday if Glenvar has the horses. I think they do this year. 24-21 Glenvar.

I have heard the predictions of Appo by 2-3 touchdowns over Glenvar now for 3 years straight but the games have all been very close, right to the end...so I'm not buying this prediction at all but we shall see in 48 hours.
Even
Said before the year started Gretna or Glenvar would advance to the Region title game over either Radford or Appo. Unfortunately, it looks like Gretna is the favorite to do that, but I did write that Glenvar would suffer a lot of early losses and be counted out by the time they reached the playoffs only to cause some problems. I favor Appo, but close and not by more than 10 points. When healthy, Glenvar, like Radford, is a good football team.
Yea, there have been some crazy predictions before.
I think this game is going to be close. The team that makes the least mistakes will pull ahead I think.
How’s the kicking game for Glenvar?

The Appomattox field is in good condition right now, maybe not ideal, but two days of sunshine would go a long way. However now I see rain on the Friday forecast so could be a big factor on an already semi- damp field. If there’s enough rain, a change of venue to a school nearby with a turf field could be in play.

Field is in about as good condition as it can be this time of year.
Not sure how much rain we will get.

If there was any chance of a change I would think they would need to decide today.
Amherst would be the only option I think.

Yeah I was there and saw how it happened, if that ball was never fumbled it would been 21-0. Now that was a fluke play how it just bounced up while he was running full speed caught it in the air and bam. TD. I think some of the key 1's was out since it was only like 2 min on clock. Oh well we sealed the W is what matters.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT