ADVERTISEMENT

Appomattox vs. Goochland

Two best teams in state playing each other, short travel distance for Goochland. I think this will be a big crowd. Lack of parking may keep a few away. It kept me away from Appo-Union game Saturday. I did not want to get there 3 hours early just to get good parking spot.

We had two satellite parking lots with shuttle buses. Don't let parking scare you away.

What is the parking like at Appomattox? I have never been to bragg stadium so I'm curious how early I need to show up to be able to get a spot. I'm sure the place will be packed.
Get there early is all I can say.

It's a nice size parking lot but will fill up quick parking along edges on grass and down street on side of school too , would suggest getting there atleast 2hrs early to get a decent spot at the school !!
Got there this past Saturday 21/2 hrs early and was filling up !!

It's a nice size parking lot but will fill up quick parking along edges on grass and down street on side of school too , would suggest getting there atleast 2hrs early to get a decent spot at the school !!
Got there this past Saturday 21/2 hrs early and was filling up !!
Game was at 6 for union and i showed up at 4:30. plenty of parking at high school. i actually got a close spot.

Reactions: Stabler1980
Goochland faithful will show up. I was their Saturday night and yes Union traveled well especially for the distance but Goochland has been wanting this game for a long time and now their fans get what they wanted so I am sure it will be an awesome turnout and great high school football environment! Very excited to see this game no matter who wins its gonna be one talked about for a long time.

No disrespect to anyone or any team but Appo will win by 25-30. Without any Seminole teams to watch, this is how I see it.
Districts competition = even. Both teams play in traditionally strong districts but both districts are very weak this year.
Non-district competition = Appo. Rustburg, Heritage, Amherst...enough said
Offense = appo. The goochland wing T is a sideways running offense (not gonna out run appo) or a quick hitting FB (not gonna fool appo). Appo can run from split backs or pass from shotgun.
Defense = even. Appo has better athletes, goochland has better scheme.
Coaching = even. Goochland will be as well coached and disciplined as appo.
Home field advantage = appo
Appo - 4, Goochland - 0, Even - 2. I usually count each section as 7-10 points hence appo by 25-30.

Reactions: catchtds
No disrespect to anyone or any team but Appo will win by 25-30. Without any Seminole teams to watch, this is how I see it.
Districts competition = even. Both teams play in traditionally strong districts but both districts are very weak this year.
Non-district competition = Appo. Rustburg, Heritage, Amherst...enough said
Offense = appo. The goochland wing T is a sideways running offense (not gonna out run appo) or a quick hitting FB (not gonna fool appo). Appo can run from split backs or pass from shotgun.
Defense = even. Appo has better athletes, goochland has better scheme.
Coaching = even. Goochland will be as well coached and disciplined as appo.
Home field advantage = appo
Appo - 4, Goochland - 0, Even - 2. I usually count each section as 7-10 points hence appo by 25-30.
No disrespect taken I just think you you might have eaten to many Frosted Flakes Tony D Tiger. LOL Let's just let these fine teams play and see what happens. Interesting formula though! Good luck to both teams!!! From the sounds of it Goochland should just not show up because they have no chance right?

Haha. Nope, not what I meant. Goochland will definitely show up and definitely play and will definitely play to win. They are 1 of 4 2A teams playing for a reason. I'm not playing, coaching or honestly going to the game. I'm just a fat dude on a sofa giving my 2 cents worth.
Yes, I'm primarily a Seminole fan b/c they are closer to me and generally have better talent top to bottom.
I would also like to say I am sorry for another of Appo's youth passing away this weekend.

What is the parking like at Appomattox? I have never been to bragg stadium so I'm curious how early I need to show up to be able to get a spot. I'm sure the place will be packed.
1 hrs to 1 hr 15 min early as if you wait until 45 min before parking will be tough. Last week they shuttled people from elementary school I think. How many do you expect from goochland as that will a difference? If you have more than 1200 then parking is tight.

1 hrs to 1 hr 15 min early as if you wait until 45 min before parking will be tough. Last week they shuttled people from elementary school I think. How many do you expect from goochland as that will a difference? If you have more than 1200 then parking is tight.

How many will the stadium hold?

Appomattox's stadium? 3,000 by the VHSL page.
I am pretty sure its more than that but may not be 5000. Richlands last year, if I remember correctly had about 1500 there (maybe a few less) and that was about half of what the home crowd had. The only other game I saw more people was when Amherst came to town. Maybe closer to 4000

Reactions: AdvocateOfMany434
I am pretty sure its more than that but may not be 5000. Richlands last year, if I remember correctly had about 1500 there (maybe a few less) and that was about half of what the home crowd had. The only other game I saw more people was when Amherst came to town. Maybe closer to 4000
I'm just going by what the VHSL says. Richlands stadium, according to them, holds 5,000 people. Appomattox's stadium is about half of the size of Richlands'.

I'm just going by what the VHSL says. Richlands stadium, according to them, holds 5,000 people. Appomattox's stadium is about half of the size of Richlands'.
Don't know about Richland and I am not sure how accurate VHSL is as more bleachers were brought in last yr on visitors side. I know the talk in Amherst game had the crowd over 4000 and Richland game was close to that using the eyeball test.

I do think the Appomattox AD has to report them numbers yearly, just like the student count. It does say that we only have seating for 3000. Ryan was correct on that. We have people double stacking our fence line as well. The Amherst and Richlands game was the most I have ever seen in Appo.

Funny you say that @Hburghokie, I met @Ryan4VT the night of the Amherst game. He didnt seem very impressed when I asked about the crowd, lol...Im sure that is the case in comparison to a Richlands home game. I know they bring more than we do. Ryan had a document he placed up on here with seating capacity of all the stadiums in VA earlier this season.

I cant remember who said it on here when I took my hiatus 2 weeks ago when I was "lurking," lol. They said we only brought 100 or so to a home games before last year. That was inaccurate information. That was just the Lee County playoff game. I think hunting season and having a game on Saturday was not promoted right, like we do now with social media. During the season, Appo has always had a pretty solid crowd, but not like we have the previous 2 years.

Agreeded advocate !! A few years back we used to pack Bragg stadium at the old school ! Town would close down , not unusual to have 5000 there!!
I remember playing games at the old stadium. I was in high school when they built new Bragg. How can you forget them old wooden bleachers. I'd probably think it was unsafe to sit in them things nowadays, but we have always had a solid crowd throughout the years. I dont know where that person got info (i dont remember thread it was on so I cant pull up the name).

I remember playing games at the old stadium. I was in high school when they built new Bragg. How can you forget them old wooden bleachers. I'd probably think it was unsafe to sit in them things nowadays, but we have always had a solid crowd throughout the years. I dont know where that person got info (i dont remember thread it was on so I cant pull up the name).

As nice as the new Bragg is, I still miss the seeing Coach Bragg at the old stadium.

Funny you say that @Hburghokie, I met @Ryan4VT the night of the Amherst game. He didnt seem very impressed when I asked about the crowd, lol...Im sure that is the case in comparison to a Richlands home game. I know they bring more than we do. Ryan had a document he placed up on here with seating capacity of all the stadiums in VA earlier this season.

I guess I'm just desensitized to it due to the crowds we get, home or away, when Richlands and Union play each other. Also the Graham game last week had a massive sized crowd. That said, the Richlands @ Appo crowd last year was amazing.

I guess I'm just desensitized to it due to the crowds we get, home or away, when Richlands and Union play each other. Also the Graham game last week had a massive sized crowd. That said, the Richlands @ Appo crowd last year was amazing.

I'd say the gate last Friday covered the whole years rent at Mitchell Stadium plus some.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT