ADVERTISEMENT

Appomattox vs. Goochland

AdvocateOfMany434

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Oct 13, 2015
757 Area
Looks to be going down at 2PM on Saturday at Bragg Stadium.

I dont know nothing about Goochland. I know they are a great defensive team from what i read on here. What kind of O do they bring to the table?

Well coached team. Run the wing t offense. No stats will standout because they use a bevy of backs. I coached a lot of these kids in youth football when I lived in Goochland for a couple years and they are a hard nosed bunch. Played organizations that were mostly from the Richmond area like Highland Springs, Varina etc and made it to the semis my last year losing 6-0 to the eventual champion who didn't give up a single point all season. Defense was their calling card then and it is now. Have some burners in the backfield in Burton, Maddox among others. Goochland historically has been a fundamentally sound team and they are this year as well as I saw them in week 1 against Essex. Appomattox is definitely the favorite and rightfully so but Goochland won't back down and will leave it all on the field. Bulldogs will have to be able to move the ball on the ground and control the clock and force turnovers on defense like they have all year. If they can do that and get into the 4th quarter and it's a close game then anything can happen. In my opinion this will be both teams toughest opponent to date.

No problem. Obviously the Goochland guys on here who are around them now can give you better insight than I can. But I still keep up with these kids because I coached them when I started out coaching youth football. Will say you won't find a much classier program and fans than the Goochland people

Appomattox has played Rustburg and Amherst who are just as good if not better than Goochland. I'm not sure who all Goochland has played but I think you are right that Appomattox will be their toughest opponent to date. I believe Goochland will play them tough like Rustburg. I see a 20-7 or 27-10 game in favor of Appomattox.

Reactions: kwhs95fan
I forgot about Appo playing Amherst. Not sure how Goochland would matchup with them because I haven't seen them. Same for Rustburg although I know they gave up a bunch to Staunton River last night. Appo will definitely be Goochlands toughest test just as they have been the toughest test for anyone they've played. You don't win 28 or 29 games in a row by accident

I forgot about Appo playing Amherst. Not sure how Goochland would matchup with them because I haven't seen them. Same for Rustburg although I know they gave up a bunch to Staunton River last night. Appo will definitely be Goochlands toughest test just as they have been the toughest test for anyone they've played. You don't win 28 or 29 games in a row by accident
Anybody and everybody would give up a lot of points to Stanton river. You would have to score 35 - 40 against them and hope you can keep them to 30. SRHS has scored 50 to 60 on everybody they played except Byrd and that was in hurricane. Overstreet is the best runner I know of around here. Wish I had seen him in person. That is one game I would like to see is SRHS vs Appomattox. I could be wrong but I think appomattox could hold them to 35 points.

Yeah I've seen some highlights of Staunton River and Overstreet and as someone who runs the wing too I'd love to see them up close

I've said all year that everyone is playing for 2nd behind Appo. Clarke was really really good last year especially up front and had some backs that could move behind that line and in the state title game Appo just had the perfect mix. Size and speed. Ridiculous speed at that. Then when you looked at the roster and saw that they returned a lot. It was a simple realization of this year. Then when they sub out, it's like they replace with the same kids but just different numbers on.
I wish the best of luck for Goochland and I'll be pulling for them but I'm afraid Appo will be able to play 0 coverage on all of Goochlands receivers and stack box to take away the FB ISO/trap and the Hb rocket/buck. Hope I'm wrong. Clarke and Goochland are kind of the same program /team with what they do and Goochland just had a bit more speed but that plays right to what Appo is all around the past 2 years.

Good luck to both

Reactions: AdvocateOfMany434
I think the Raiders win 28-21. Goochland will play tough but I think the home field advantage will pull through for the Raiders. I don't see Goochland getting blown out.

Reactions: anon_vu6vqwsr4nf3b
Appomattox defense surprised me last night you never hear anything about them but last night when I got to see them play they really shut down a good union offense. They made a few big 4th down stops too. I think the way they made adjustments was impressive because union took the opening kickoff and drove all the way to the 10 yd line no problem but luckily had a busted play on 4th and 1. After that appo shut them down. Their secondary is really good which is rare in highschool football.

Goochlands schedule didn't look very tough during the season, besides Clarke in playoffs I dont think they have had a real test. It was the same with union they played richlands during season and that was it. Reg season schedule makes a difference when it comes to the playoffs. If you have never been tested it's hard to know how you will respond.

This Goochland game is going to be alot of fun with an in house rivalry as I have family at Appo and Goochland. Did I hear someone say bullfrogs? lol

This will be fun for me as I get to see my 2 biggest rivals beat each other up. I got family in both corners also so I pray for both teams safety. This will be by far the best team Goochland has faced but the Bulldogs used to playing bigger, faster teams. We had bigger, faster teams than them for the last 5 seasons but they seemed to negate that advantage every time. We were very similar to Appomattox every year so to me it's like they've played from a far. I may be totally wrong but after rivaling with both these teams for so long I see them as bout even on program level so I have respect for what I've seen them both do and what I think they both are capable of doing. That's why I see this as a chest match and the better adjustments will win. I think Appomattox is bigger and more athletic but I've never seen a Good Goochland team get manhandled by no one and I can't see it now. Will they get beat? I suspect so but I think Appomattox will take all 4 quarters to do so. Can't wait to see it.

Reactions: AdvocateOfMany434
They can't stop appo offense and the defense is lights out ! Goochland played in a very week district and with Buckingham down this year they walked thru that and has a easy draw up till now, different beast now !

Thanks for all the feedback. I see they are right outside of Richmond (westside). I just dont know much about them, Appo dont play them. They are a good team to put on schedule actually, they are only an hour and 15 minutes away. Plus we need to see more Wing type offenses throughout the season. I see they use the Wing T. We see it in playoffs and this year we only seen it at Riverheads and Amherst. I would like to see if we ever played them before. I know we never played Union and that is before it was combined as well.
Well....Here is my take and if anyone knows me on here or spoke with me in person about the Raiders. I have always said in the last 2 years, NO RUSHING TEAM WILL BEAT APPO, but week after week, i see teams trying to take their shot at being one dimensional and getting beat. Im not being cocky or arrogant, Im just stating facts. I have watched it for 2 years. But hey, yall say Goochland is like Clarke County and runs same type of O, well I guess its Goochlands turn to try with their rendition of running game. Many have tried and many have failed. This team is fast defensively and they swarm to the ball aggressively. You not going to have a linebacker sitting in the gap waiting to stop the RB hitting the hole and driving LB back 5 yards like Rustburg did with SR this week. You have a Linebacker or safety meeting you in the hole unloading a world of pain at line of scrimmage. They going to hit you and not sit there and wait for you to hit them. Ask @BCKnights what Raiders did with Ragland last year or Richlands RB when #26 Kelso hit Blankenship so hard he fumbled the ball in end zone last year. Ask Amherst's J Page how he couldnt get past the line of scrimmage this year. That is the difference we have on D in comparison to other team's rushing D. Oh and dont think the edge is going to work either, we too fast to guard the edges, but there have been a few times I have seen RBs get the edge, very few....

Looking forward to Goochland coming. Cant wait to see if their rushing attack will be the one that finally works.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stabler1980
Well I guess we will just have to see Saturday! Goochland will show up to play no matter who it's against just like Appo but I must admit if anyone is claiming the west is that strong with Union going that far in the playoffs they might be surprised Saturday! No offense to Union they fought as hard as they could I witnessed it but Saturday will be a eye opener for Appo if they expect the same. I respect Appo for their accomplishments but don't sleep on the Dogs!

Well I guess we will just have to see Saturday! Goochland will show up to play no matter who it's against just like Appo but I must admit if anyone is claiming the west is that strong with Union going that far in the playoffs they might be surprised Saturday! No offense to Union they fought as hard as they could I witnessed it but Saturday will be a eye opener for Appo if they expect the same. I respect Appo for their accomplishments but don't sleep on the Dogs!
My post was not being disrespectful. Im just saying if there is a rushing team or Wing style O that can beat up on Appomattox all game, I would love to see it. I know yall gonna bring it. yall are in the semis for a reason. I know our coaches and players will be well prepared for whatever. Im looking forward to seeing yalls D. I have heard so much about it. there were some Goochland folk in crowd Saturday.

Question: Should we expect a big crowd?

Last edited:
Two best teams in state playing each other, short travel distance for Goochland. I think this will be a big crowd. Lack of parking may keep a few away. It kept me away from Appo-Union game Saturday. I did not want to get there 3 hours early just to get good parking spot.

That's a good place hr6 we all go to the rail yard sports lounge , very cool place with lots of tvs
Went to the Rail Yard Sports Lounge Sunday. Got me some hot wings!!! They were BANGING!!!
As I posted before, we have Bull Daddys (best fried oysters around)

Mexican restaurant, but I prefer the Taco Wagon (LIFE CHANGER, lol)

Pinos Pizza for Italian, but I prefer Mama Terezinhas downtown. that place has Italian products imported for Italy.

Coffee, Baines down town if you trying to chill but Joe Beans is better in Triangle Plaza.

We have Chinese food buffet as well.

And a BUNCH of fast food spots.

Reactions: Stabler1980
Only place I have ate at down there is Granny Bees and Hardees.

Mexican, Chicken and Pizza Places are on my "no eat" list.

What is the parking like at Appomattox? I have never been to bragg stadium so I'm curious how early I need to show up to be able to get a spot. I'm sure the place will be packed.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT