ADVERTISEMENT

Appomattox vs. Goochland

I dont even remember him, guess ya still can label me a young buck, lol. What year did he pass away?
I graduated in 1989 and I remember Coach Bragg retiring from teaching when I was in high school. I looked up a stat from the History of Appomattox County showing him at 175-35-10 while coaching from 1948-69.

He taught my parents as well as myself, definitely an icon while he was there. He passed away in 2000.

Last year
I graduated in 1989 and I remember Coach Bragg retiring from teaching when I was in high school. I looked up a stat from the History of Appomattox County showing him at 175-35-10 while coaching from 1948-69.

He taught my parents as well as myself, definitely an icon while he was there. He passed away in 2000.
WOW?!!! What a record!!! Awesome stuff!!! If they ever wanna change names of stadium, Appo will Riot!
I wish somebody would've pointing him out to me at a game. Im a 94 grad so i would've missed him. Came back from Oklahoma in 89 after my mom wanting to live around her family. Spent 5 years there...so that is reasoning I never met him. Would've love to shake his hand.

Reactions: Stabler1980
Here is a small glimpse of Goochland. My brother text me these earlier today. They have 3 backs that hit hole hard and QB is big and has a canon too.

The Essex game in week 1 was a slugfest. Goochland defense scored both TDs and won 14-0. Neither team got much over 100 yards total offense. Goochlands defense stood tall all season. Unfortunately the Essex defense that was on the field the first few weeks was decimated by injuries and one of our 400 lb DTs quit in week 4.

The Essex game in week 1 was a slugfest. Goochland defense scored both TDs and won 14-0. Neither team got much over 100 yards total offense. Goochlands defense stood tall all season. Unfortunately the Essex defense that was on the field the first few weeks was decimated by injuries and one of our 400 lb DTs quit in week 4.

400lb tackle? Did you mean 300? I've never seen a 400lb high school player in my life.

Reactions: AdvocateOfMany434
LOL, I was thinking the same thing. How tall was he? 400 is a big ole biggn'
I'd question if he was even a threat on the field that size.
If he is the one I am thinking of from the Goochland game he was definitely a force and tall to. He played hard but I guess he decided he didn't want to continue. He was definitely well over 300. It's a shame he quit.

Those two that played DL were all of 400 lbs and they could actually move quite well. Also had two big fast guys on the DE spots. I wanna say one of the big D ends was a sophomore and is getting scouted pretty heavily, would have to talk to someone from Essex to confirm.

400lb tackle? Did you mean 300? I've never seen a 400lb high school player in my life.
Yes he was 400 lbs and about 6" 1 and only a sophomore and could move for his size. Our other DT who played the whole year was 6" 3 385. He was 1st team both ways in the district and OL of the year. It was impossible to move them when they were on the line together. After he quit we had to move other guys around. Then our mlb tore his rotator cuff in week 7 and was lost and our 2nd leading rusher who was also a starter on defense and our punter broke his collarbone in our 1st playoff game. Our top defensive player hurt his shoulder in week 6 and only missed one game but was never at 100% the rest of the year. The defense you see on the film against Goochland was one of the best in the state at 1A. The one at the end of the season was just a shell of it because of injuries. But almost all return next year so Essex should be in good shape after a down year by their standards

Reactions: Goochland06
Those two that played DL were all of 400 lbs and they could actually move quite well. Also had two big fast guys on the DE spots. I wanna say one of the big D ends was a sophomore and is getting scouted pretty heavily, would have to talk to someone from Essex to confirm.
Yes the DE you speak of is only a sophomore. He is 6" 3 265. A freak of an athlete. Went to camps at Florida St and VT last summer. Both on invites.

If anyone wanting to meet up at the game, I'll be right behind the goalpost on the path over to the visitor's side at 1:00pm. Stop by and brag on your favorite team. Goochland fans, be sure to stop by and say hi.
Many of us meeting up at Rail Yard Sports Lounge at 11 AM as well. See ya either way. Many from Appo already know who I am, Im not a secret on here.

I have cancelled my trip to Appomattox tomorrow due to parking situation. I can't get there 2-3 hours before game to secure good spot. Have too many irons in the fire. But I will be in Salem next week.

No wrong with using the shuttle bus, Appomattox is not a really big town.

I have cancelled my trip to Appomattox tomorrow due to parking situation. I can't get there 2-3 hours before game to secure good spot. Have too many irons in the fire. But I will be in Salem next week.
Bro, if u get here at 1 u should be straight on parking, any later than that, u done

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT