ADVERTISEMENT

Appomattox vs Gretna

Appo is gonna have to control the ball with a lot of RPO's and keep Gretna's defense on their heels.
Gretna is going to have to run the spread and wear out Appo's defense.

Reactions: Hampton Roads 6
Gonna go with the Raiders here by 2 scores. Appo lost to Buckingham in game one with 3 starters out and Heritage smashed em. Heritage is probably the favorite to win the state championship at their level and Buckingham is arguably favored to play for the title coming out of the East with a couple others.

We aren't the same team at Radford with 3 of our top 5 players out and Appo and Gretna will be heavily favored over us in the playoffs. Our kids hung in and got the W over Gretna, but Gretna actually doubled us in total yards and should have won. Many aren't aware of that, but Gretna probably pushed us around as much on the field than Richlands did, and Richlands beat us of course, but Gretna had like 440 total yds with 300+ rushing to our 220 approximate yards.

Injuries change things, but if both teams stay healthy, the best two teams in Region C play this coming weekend in Gretna and Appo. Watch out for Appo. They are young, crazy talented, and getting better game by game and we may see a situation where Appo looks or comes on the scene like Graham did last year. By game 10, they are going to look like an entirely different team than game one much like Graham last year. They have that kind of talent and are improving at a rate much, much faster than most other 2A teams. Gretna is the real deal. If Appo beats them by 2 or more scores, I would consider Appo right in the mix with all the rest to win the whole thing.

Go Cats

Reactions: obguthr and moto138
Appo is gonna have to control the ball with a lot of RPO's and keep Gretna's defense on their heels.
Gretna is going to have to run the spread and wear out Appo's defense.

I'd be willing to put a safe bet there will be few RPO's and very little spread from the Hawks lol Wing T vs. the Veer lol!

Reactions: VolNation85
I will have to say watching Appo the last few games they are totally different than the first few weeks of season . Having those 3 players back makes them much better , still very young team ! Should be a good game .

Reactions: moto138
Tall order for the Raiders this week.
You know Gretna is licking their beaks to after at least four straight wins by the Raiders.
What will it take for Appo to win????? They need to be firing on all cylinders, they need a few more kids to step up and play to their potential, they need a good game form the quarterback, they need their line to play with an aggressive demeanor, they need to win the turnover battle, and it never hurts to have the ball bounce in your favor a time or two.
Gretna has home field advantage and they are gonna be hungry. The Raiders will need to match that intensity.

What I do know is this is one of the biggest games in Gretna in the last few years. Last years game with Radford was also huge. This one will have huge ramifications for post season seeding especially with Radford losing Friday night.
Both teams have potent running attacks with Appomattox probably having an edge in passing. I know I always say this but watch out for special teams play. It is that important. Also turnovers will be huge as they always are.

What I do know is this is one of the biggest games in Gretna in the last few years. Last years game with Radford was also huge. This one will have huge ramifications for post season seeding especially with Radford losing Friday night.
Both teams have potent running attacks with Appomattox probably having an edge in passing. I know I always say this but watch out for special teams play. It is that important. Also turnovers will be huge as they always are.
How many times did i say huge? Must increase my vocabulary. PS. I'm hoping the crowd will be HUGE!!!

Reactions: moto138 and Bo Bob
Appo will have to stop gretnas run attack and make them goto the air. Appo special teams are coming along pretty good. I also expect a HUGE TURNOUT. LOL

Appomattox seems to be getting on track now. Coach Smith finds a way to steal one at Gretna...........Final score - Appomattox 28 Gretna 27

Coach Smith finds a way to steal one at Gretna...

Outsider, you are sandbagging for sure. Gonna be an awesome game. Two of them in the West with Region C and D in Gretna vs Appo and Union vs Ridgeview. If your a 2A fan and lucky enough to catch one of these two, then your in good shape.

Yes. Should be a great game, I think Coach Smith makes the difference in a close one. Just a guess.

Gonna go with the Raiders here by 2 scores. Appo lost to Buckingham in game one with 3 starters out and Heritage smashed em. Heritage is probably the favorite to win the state championship at their level and Buckingham is arguably favored to play for the title coming out of the East with a couple others.

We aren't the same team at Radford with 3 of our top 5 players out and Appo and Gretna will be heavily favored over us in the playoffs. Our kids hung in and got the W over Gretna, but Gretna actually doubled us in total yards and should have won. Many aren't aware of that, but Gretna probably pushed us around as much on the field than Richlands did, and Richlands beat us of course, but Gretna had like 440 total yds with 300+ rushing to our 220 approximate yards.

Injuries change things, but if both teams stay healthy, the best two teams in Region C play this coming weekend in Gretna and Appo. Watch out for Appo. They are young, crazy talented, and getting better game by game and we may see a situation where Appo looks or comes on the scene like Graham did last year. By game 10, they are going to look like an entirely different team than game one much like Graham last year. They have that kind of talent and are improving at a rate much, much faster than most other 2A teams. Gretna is the real deal. If Appo beats them by 2 or more scores, I would consider Appo right in the mix with all the rest to win the whole thing.

Go Cats

Just curious were Radford's players out during the game against Gretna?

Which game?????? It was 21-0 at the half and not for the Raiders.

Last year we were winning at half I think.

Mama Rosas is the best place to eat. Great food and bonus he also feeds our players all the time so have to throw my support to him. Also have two Mexican restaurants and a McDonald’s and Subway.

IMO Gretna has best team and Appo has better coach. Toss up on which prevails. The coaching has beat Gretna in big games thus far

IMO Gretna has best team and Appo has better coach. Toss up on which prevails. The coaching has beat Gretna in big games thus far
Has the potential to be a great game. Will be there early to watch my son warm up and watch the prayer circle.

Appomattox had their way with Gretna’s defense.
Game was 21-0 with Gretna picking up their own fumble to run it in late in the 4th.
Defensively the Raiders shut down the Gretna running attack

Appo was looking very similar to to a select few past years team. They made big strides in past few weeks coming into mesh with each other.

I told people after the Buckingham game that team won't going away. I know a damn good team when I see one.
Starting to look like Appo will be out for revenge against Radford. Appo did not play their game last year, was very sloppy.

One thing I have notice the last few games is how the guys are coming together to congratulate on scores and the enthusiasm on the side line . Looks very familiar!!!!!
might not have made any difference in game but Gretna was without 2 starters for the game.That said, not sure either one of these teams are stronger enough for a state title........

2 halves were played

After it was 21 -0 you adjust your game some.
Domination might be a stretch. Wasn’t much doubt who was in control though.

Can’t figure why Gretna was airing it out more in the end. Seemed they were content to run and hope to have time for 3 score.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT