ADVERTISEMENT

Arm sleeve

Nov 13, 2008
I am wondering if arm sleeves are legal in basketball. I know the rules and know they are legal, but some refs, keep on saying that they are not legal. Why do officials think that you need a doctors note for these. Please help

If you know the rules, you should already know what I'm about to tell you.
wink.gif

First, compression sleeves are allowed. Non-compression or cloth sleeves are NOT allowed.

Second, they are legal ONLY if worn for medical reasons. Therefore, it's appropriate to ask for a doctor's note. (NFHS 3-5-2e)
This post was edited on 12/22 10:20 PM by FBRef

I have already read that rule before. I was told at the VHSL ref conference that they are legal. Also i was told that rule applied to casts and guards. The person doing the presenting said that there is no specific rule and if it doesnt say its illegal then its legal. I hate all this new stuff myself, but I wish it was called more consistent. Thanks for you help with this.

Our association supervisor sent out an e-mail last week saying that if no Dr.'s note is available, then the compression sleeve has to go. I have allready had to get two kids to remove them this year.

Originally posted by Knowing it all:
Also i was told that rule applied to casts and guards.

I'm afraid whoever told you that was mistaken. The rule reads:

Guards, casts, braces, and compression sleeves must meet the following guidelines.

The last item listed is:

e. Must be wrong for medical reasons.

That applies to all the items listed.

But I believe a standard long sleeve t-shirt is allowed (under the jersey) so long as both sleeves are of same length.

A long sleeve undershirt is fine.

A cloth sleeve or a compression sleeve not worn for medical purposes is considered adornment and can't be worn.

Let's be honest. How many kids actually require a compression sleeve for medical reasons?
snooty.gif

The two sleeves I had kids remove looked like they might have made it thru two tours of Iraq. the e-mail says if they tell a ref. it is for medical reasons then let them wear them.
Long sleeves are allowed as long as they are the same length and not frayed and are the same color as the tosrso of the jersey. Nothing like being the fashion police and a medical advisor along with all the other stuff going on. Nothing makes you feel any worse than telling a girl with 50 plastic braids in her hair that she cannot even warm up with the head gear on.

Originally posted by bowlingref:
Our association supervisor sent out an e-mail last week saying that if no Dr.'s note is available, then the compression sleeve has to go.

Originally posted by bowlingref:
the e-mail says if they tell a ref. it is for medical reasons then let them wear them.

Okay, I'm confused. Which is it?

It says for medical reasons, it says nowhere requiring a doctors note. If the referee really pushed for a doctors note with this brace not posing a risk to any other playing. Could this be considered a hipaa violation? Also how can the ref determine if the injury requires a sleeve. What if the doctors orders tell about the injury. Should the ref be required to interpret the injury??

Originally posted by Knowing it all:
It says for medical reasons, it says nowhere requiring a doctors note.

The state association can set the standard and require a doctor's note.

And yes, whether the VHSL admits it or not, the rules DO force officials to be the fashion police. We don't like it but we have no choice in the matter.

If the referee really pushed for a doctors note with this brace not posing a risk to any other playing. Could this be considered a hipaa violation?

C'mon dude. Please.

Also how can the ref determine if the injury requires a sleeve. What if the doctors orders tell about the injury. Should the ref be required to interpret the injury??

Officials aren't interested in whether the injury requires a sleeve. If the state association requires a doctor's note, then that's the end of the story. Either produce it or the kid doesn't play with it.

If the state association doesn't require a doctor's note, then the kid can say it's for medical reasons and can wear it.

Let's be truthful. Is the kid in question actually injured and the doctor is requiring it or is the kid wearing it because it's cool?

there is no kid, i am just watching different associations doing different things and wanted to get a real answer. It seems to me, that its going to get called 50 percent of the time.

I think if we knew the truth, there isn't 1 kid in 100 that needs this for a medical reason. They wear them because the NBA guys wear them and because they think it looks cool. Would love to see them banned completely so we don't have to fool with it at all.

I know the rule in the book and then I read the mail from someone that is supposed know and I get like you, confused. You are right about wanting to be like the NBA and it would make things easier if NFHS just banned them.
3dsmile.gif

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT