ADVERTISEMENT

Band question,

DinwiddieProud

VaPreps All State
Gold Member
Dec 9, 2013
Are there any enforceable rules against a band at a football game playing during the game? Such as specifically playing in an attempt to increase the noise level to hamper the offense from hearing the quarterback?

In see one reference in the VHSL handbook state championship games. (Prevented from playing during live ball situations).

Maybe in the NFHS rules or policy manuals?

Not to my knowledge. There are rules against artificial noisemakers in other sports, but not football.

I've had kids ask me to make the band stop and it was their band, not the opponent's. I said take it up with the band director.

Football fields tend to be loud places. I've stood on the sidelines for many games at VT and the noise there is so much more than even the loudest h.s. stadium.

A high school stadium that has concrete walls and grandstands will be a lot louder than a stadium with just bleachers, no matter what the band does.

I don't think it matters much if it's loud during a live ball. The PA is not allowed to be calling a play-by-play diring the live ball, but I don't think noise is a factor during a live ball. There's not much effective verbal communictions while the ball is alive.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT