ADVERTISEMENT

Bassett 50 GW-Danville 43 Final - OT

MascotMemorizer

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Oct 30, 2007
Bassett rallied from a 43-21 deficit with just over 6 minutes left in regulation to force overtime at 43-43. Bengals score TD in overtime and the Eagles were ruled short of the end zone on both third and fourth downs as Bassett pulled off their first win over the Eagles since the 1960s 50-43. I know there were several Eagles fans were not too thrilled with the officiating of this game (16 penalties for GW, 4 or 5 for Bassett) and the controversial game-tying touchdown. I have no dog in the fight, you make the call on the Bengals' last TD in regulation; but it does appear to be two forward passes on this play. Bassett took advantage of the Eagles' young secondary as all three TD passes came on the same side of the field.

Congrats to Coach Johnson and his Bengals on the win - especially doing it without starting QB and Piedmont District Player of the Year candidate Ja'Ricous Hairston. GW is definitely better than their record as they gave both Martinsville and Bassett two tough games despite coming out on the losing end of both. GW will be tough in 2023.

Full Game (except OT - @Chuck Vipperman (GW) would have that link on his Facebook as he called the game on the visitors' side):

Final 6:29 of regulation and OT - GW scores a defensive TD to go up 43-21.

Bassett's Game Tying TD

Definitely 2 forward passes. It would help to have better lines and hash marks on the field.

Reactions: BoKnowsSports
It puts you in the mind of the Infamous “Catch” at Salem when Tony Spradlin caught the touchdown pass clearly out of bounds which kept Salem in the game to ultimately go on to win a State Title. At the end of the day Great effort by Bassett to not give up. Now if they go on to win a state title, this is definitely good Karma for them. Referees have to do better though but I keep hearing they’re short referees in VA.

Reactions: MascotMemorizer
GW was held to a different standard in that game. It would be a travesty if any of the officials were selected for the playoffs. I officiated Piedmont District games long ago including Bassett.

Reactions: UdoIT
I hate to tell you this, but it is going to get worse. Look at most officials they are older males. I was the president of an officials association and even with good pay and incentives we could not and cannot recruit young officials. Unfortunately, we fans are a major part of the problem. No one wants to be constantly yelled at for hours on end. To be honest even good officials are verbally abused and even threatened physically over an alleged missed call. Better get technology moving, because in five to ten years there will be very few officials left. Basketball may be an exception.

I totally agree because I’ve heard of referees getting jumped by youth league coaches and players at little league games so I can’t imagine high school.

I totally agree because I’ve heard of referees getting jumped by youth league coaches and players at little league games so I can’t imagine high school.
It's usually not coaches or players in HS. Mostly fans. I am not boasting, but I was considered to be a highly rated official in my sport both in HS/college. You would be shocked how many times I was followed to my car, spit at, and cursed. In one occasion I had to tackle a parent who attacked a fellow official who made the correct call. It's really ridiculous and not worth it.

It puts you in the mind of the Infamous “Catch” at Salem when Tony Spradlin caught the touchdown pass clearly out of bounds which kept Salem in the game to ultimately go on to win a State Title. At the end of the day Great effort by Bassett to not give up. Now if they go on to win a state title, this is definitely good Karma for them. Referees have to do better though but I keep hearing they’re short referees in VA.
Yes we are short refs. Human error is also part of the game. I still give credit to Bassett for getting themselves in a position to tie the game. GW had plenty of opportunities to put this game away.

Reactions: BleedingNavy
Bassett took advantage of the Eagles' secondary on all three of those 4th quarter TD passes - safety kept coming up & it seemed to be miscommunication between the CB and S on the right side. Eagles also didn't cover the onside kick well the first time. GW was honestly one first down from clinching the game.

Bassett took advantage of the Eagles' secondary on all three of those 4th quarter TD passes - safety kept coming up & it seemed to be miscommunication between the CB and S on the right side. Eagles also didn't cover the onside kick well the first time. GW was honestly one first down from clinching the game.
Yep got stopped on 4th down around the 30 I believe

Reactions: MascotMemorizer
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT