ADVERTISEMENT

Best athlete you've seen on the football field

Nov 25, 2002
This is something I think about from time to time, especially when you see kids (6'4" 315lbs) like Chance Hall having success at the D1 level in the SEC for Tennessee. I think back and remember Anthony Poindexter from Jefferson Forest in 1993 & 1994 winning back to back state titles. He was a special talent and beat up my MV Warriors in 1994 and took top offensive honors over MV QB Rodney Redd whom went to NC State. Poindexter was that kid that could will himself to a victory!

Reactions: AdvocateOfMany434
Vic Hall...I never saw that young man play but I sure heard alot about him! I tried to follow him while he was at UVA but never caught his games. Is he still playing arena league?
Last I heard he was playing for Arizona in the AFL. Dude was like that! You know how good Harvey Taylor was? Well no disrespect to Harvey, but Vic was probably 3 times better and that's saying a whole whole lot! Harvey was probably the closest thing I've ever seen to Vic.

Reactions: mvwarrior
Last I heard he was playing for Arizona in the AFL. Dude was like that! You know how good Harvey Taylor was? Well no disrespect to Harvey, but Vic was probably 3 times better and that's saying a whole whole lot! Harvey was probably the closest thing I've ever seen to Vic.

Yeah when I heard about Hall, he was clicking off wins and collecting state title rings at Gretna. I saw him in Sports Illustrated in one of those small articles where someone writes in and I think it was after his senior year at Gretna and they posted his career stats while in high school and I thought that was impressive! Heck of an athlete and I wish I would have saw him play. Another athlete that comes to mind but I never saw him either but followed him some was Tahj Boyd when he was at Phoebus in the late 2000's. He won back to back state titles in 2008 & 09 I think it was, and if I'm not mistaken he did that for 2 different head coaches (Dee & Sexton) I think Dee is Oscar Smith's coach now but I'm not sure on that.

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
This is something I think about from time to time, especially when you see kids (6'4" 315lbs) like Chance Hall having success at the D1 level in the SEC for Tennessee. I think back and remember Anthony Poindexter from Jefferson Forest in 1993 & 1994 winning back to back state titles. He was a special talent and beat up my MV Warriors in 1994 and took top offensive honors over MV QB Rodney Redd whom went to NC State. Poindexter was that kid that could will himself to a victory!
Danny Davis, Rustburg RB, was the best player I ever saw. He also happened to be the first player that ever stood out to me at my very 1st HS game I ever attended. ('87 3A Championship game between James Monroe and Rustburg) I fell in love with everything about HS football that day. For anyone that ever saw Davis play will know how amazing my experience was, oh and yeah it was the Championship game decided by a 10-9 margin in favor of JM. He was just a special player and was a big part of my love for the game. It doesn't get any better than that. (Also I never had the privilege of watching Vic Hall, Ronald Curry, or Allen Iverson play in HS)

Danny Davis, Rustburg RB, was the best player I ever saw. He also happened to be the first player that ever stood out to me at my very 1st HS game I ever attended. ('87 3A Championship game between James Monroe and Rustburg) I fell in love with everything about HS football that day. For anyone that ever saw Davis play will know how amazing my experience was, oh and yeah it was the Championship game decided by a 10-9 margin in favor of JM. He was just a special player and was a big part of my love for the game. It doesn't get any better than that. (Also I never had the privilege of watching Vic Hall, Ronald Curry, or Allen Iverson play in HS)

This is why I like posts like these...I had not heard of Danny Davis before but I Googled him and sure enough a newspaper clipping from Nov 30, 1987 came up and have the title game matchups that year and the results from the semi - final games. Thanks Mike for your post it really was fun to look him up and go back in time and see what happened in football from that era. Terry Kirby was also in that article and rushed for 301 yards and 3 TD's as Tabb beat Charlottesville 30-8 that year, Wow!!

I saw Danny Davis run over a kid from Altavista, don't think he broke his neck but the kid had a contraption around that area for a good while. Danny was a stud, but the first name that popped up when I read it was Vic, leadership, running, throwing, could do it all. What was even more special, he made it look effortless!

Reactions: mike salem
I was just about to add Terry Kirby and Chris Slade to this mix. They played on the same Tabb team and they both dominated. Terry was so explosive, you just knew that he was taking it to the house every time he touched the ball. Kirby's senior season year in a playoff game against Gloucester, the first 3 times he touched the ball on offense he had 3 TD's and almost 200 yards rushing. I'll look to see if I can find an archived copy of the report. It was crazy. Me and several co-workers used to go watch Tabb games just because of Terry Kirby.

And then I have to add Ronald Curry at Hampton and before him, Hampton had a QB Eric Hunter who was the real deal. He was a pure gunslinger. Went to Purdue and unfortunately, developed some mental health issues. Eric was legit, he would have been playing on Sunday's if he hadn't of gotten sick. And my personal favorite, Dyrell Roberts from Smithfield (VT).

But Kirby gets my nod as the most electrifying for me.

From the Daily Press: "In four playoff games in '87, Kirby ran for an astounding 1,168 yards, part of his streak of 26 consecutive games with at least 100 yards."

Last edited:
Reactions: mike salem
Virginia has produced a lot of incredible athletes/football players. There are plenty more as good or better who would make this list if I had the chance to see them in person. It might also be affected by seeing a particular player on a very special night. I will group my list below by decades and apologize in advance because there are going to be some good ones I have seen that will be left off just because my memory isn't what it used to be. Special shout out to the big uglies in the trenches as there were a lot of really good ones who just do not get a lot of publicity and the names fade over the years. Going to skip 60's as I was just figuring out what I was looking at(some say that is still true today) ;-).
1970's - Kenny Easley, Famous Amos Lawrence, Russell Davis, Ken Sheets, Tim Flanagan, Mickey Fitzgerald, Ricardo Volley, Eddie Joyce, Jr., Kenny Lewis
1980's - Danny Davis, Bryant "Keeta" Covington, Al Comer, Bo Blankenship, Curtis Taliaferro, Shawn Moore, Nikki Fisher, Herman Moore, Robert Banks, Ferrell Edmunds
1990's - Marcus Parker(pre knee injury), Ronald Curry, Allen Iverson, The Barber twins, Lee Suggs, Michael Vick, Jake Houseright, Allen Pinkett
2000's - Ahmad Brooks, Vic Hall, David Wilson, Cedric Peerman

While it isn't Florida, Texas, California or a few other states high school football in Virginia compares very favorably to the majority of areas in the United States.

I concur.. Cedric Peerman was an animal at WC. He and Vic used to trade touchdowns. I think close to 7,000 (maybe more) people came to watch them play back in 04 in Naruna. Good battles.

Reactions: gwb16
Ronald Curry was simply amazing. Percy Harvin was very similar but not quite to the level of Curry IMO. I saw Danny Davis in person in 1988 and he was a force. He was the best I had seen before Curry. Allen Pinkett was another one that was special. He and Leon King from Giles put on a show in the state title game in 1980.

Ronald Curry was simply amazing. Percy Harvin was very similar but not quite to the level of Curry IMO. I saw Danny Davis in person in 1988 and he was a force. He was the best I had seen before Curry. Allen Pinkett was another one that was special. He and Leon King from Giles put on a show in the state title game in 1980.

Great posts by everyone. I always enjoy looking back through the annals of history. I've seen most of the Roanoke-area players listed, from the late '70's onward. I remember hearing a lot about Danny Davis, but never saw him in person. I saw Terry Kirby run track at the state meet, but didn't see him on the football field. Even on the track, he had a "man among boys" aura. I also missed out on watching Vic Hall play, though I did see him in a basketball game.

Bulldog - I have a good friend who was at that Park View - Giles game. He's said it is probably the best high school game he's ever seen.

Reactions: bulldog1150
I'm certainly not including him with Virginia's all-time greats already listed, but Dennis Haley is possibly the best overall athlete produced by Salem High. He wasn't the ball carrier Parker was, but I think he might have been a little higher across the board in all facets of athleticism. Haley, as far as I know, is the only Salem High kid ever to make it to any of the major pro leagues in a team sport.

Richard Morgan was also a phenomenal athlete, although he only played one year of football before concentrating on basketball. I believe he won the high jump in state AAA one year.

Last edited:
Dennis Mahan , martinsville high mid 70's, didn't see him play but when I talk to anyone in Henry county he is always the 1st person to be named. Tim Goad , Patrick county high early 80's, people forget him but had great career in nfl

Dennis Mahan , martinsville high mid 70's, didn't see him play but when I talk to anyone in Henry county he is always the 1st person to be named. Tim Goad , Patrick county high early 80's, people forget him but had great career in nfl
Can'talk believe I remembered Nikki Fisher and left off Dennis Mahan. He is absolutely in discussion and Spartan of Yore is right about Dennis Haley. Jacques Hairston is also worthy of mention as well. I guess the longer the list gets it could arguably be said I missed the boat on the real question of best athlete for a lot of really good ones.

Anyone heard how Jaq is doing at coastal Carolina? I seen he had 2 tackles in the team scrimmage, wonder if he'll get redshirted. Also seen shoalin McGuire was competing for back up qb against a redshirt freshman, the starting qb is a senior at nc central. They play duke 1st game.

Last edited:
Graduated in 08. But here are the ones that I personally witnessed.

Torrey Smith
P.J. Hayden
Logan Thomas
DeVontae Atkins
Dexter McDougle

Anyone heard how Jaq is doing at coastal Carolina? I seen he had 2 tackles in the team scrimmage, wonder if he'll get redshirted. Also seen shoalin McGuire was competing for back up qb against a redshirt freshman, the starting qb is a senior at nc central. They play duke 1st game.

My brother n law spoke to his dad at the Salem scrimmage and he said that Jac will redshirt this year. Coastal actually will be playing him as a DB.

Coached against Danny Davis 2 years. He didn't play one year because he his missed mandatory wt lifting. We couldn't stop him when he had the ball and our runners didn't want to have the ball when he was a linebacker. He was a better LB than Rb and he was the best RB I've seen in 35 years of being involved in HS football.

Vic Hall a close #2, Allen Iverson #3

I concur.. Cedric Peerman was an animal at WC. He and Vic used to trade touchdowns. I think close to 7,000 (maybe more) people came to watch them play back in 04 in Naruna. Good battles.
Was at the game, never seen so many people at a Single A game, a lot of talent was on that field. Prayers to Cedric with his broken arm!

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
Dennis Mahan of Martinsville in 75 and 76 is the best I've ever seen. Even though I was only 10 and 11 at the time, I can still remember some of the spectacular things I saw from him. Tim Goad of Patrick County was a special athlete. Nikki Fisher and Shawn Moore of Martinsville were also excellent athletes.

Brock Johnson at Stuarts Draft. Was VERY good and had just about every team in nation looking at him in mid 90's but grades hurt that

Vic Hall best I ever saw and I saw most of players mentioned above. Horace Hubbard has to be mentioned. Only high school player I have seen that could probably made all state at any of the 22 positions on the field.

Bethel's Allen Iverson, Hampton's Ronald Curry and Tyrod Taylor, Phoebus' Antwoine Womack and Elan Leiws, and Landstown's Percy Harvin. Tabb's Terry Kirby is also on this list.

Bethel's Allen Iverson, Hampton's Ronald Curry and Tyrod Taylor, Phoebus' Antwoine Womack and Elan Leiws, and Landstown's Percy Harvin. Tabb's Terry Kirby is also on this list.
Gave a long list above but, in spirit of question it has to be Ronald Curry or Iverson. Those guys did it all over the field on offense, defense, special teams. Never saw Harvin in person but, guys I trust say he is in discussion as well. Vic Hall was a similar talent he just did not play against the same level of competition which makes the comparison more difficult.

In term of freakish athletic ability it is Logan Thomas for me. His senior year at 6'6 225 pounds he was second discus, fourth in the high jump and third in 110 hurdles at the Group AA state meet.He was also first team all-state in basketball that year. Has anyone ever heard of anyone ever getting that close to winning state titles in the high jump and shot put.

Gave a long list above but, in spirit of question it has to be Ronald Curry or Iverson. Those guys did it all over the field on offense, defense, special teams. Never saw Harvin in person but, guys I trust say he is in discussion as well. Vic Hall was a similar talent he just did not play against the same level of competition which makes the comparison more difficult.

Yeah, it is a long list lol but that's just how great the 757 area talent has been over that last 30 years. All of those guys were phenoms.

Bethel - Allen Iverson and Jimmy Williams
Hampton - Ronald Curry, Bobby Blizzard, Todd Nolean, and Tyrod Taylor
Kecoughtan - Brett Harper and Javon Quillen Sr
Phoebus - Antwoine Womack, Nathaniel Adibi, Xavier Adibi, Phillip Brown, Brent Vinson, Elan Lewis, Tyree Lee, Breon Key, Boom Box Lyles, Daquan Romero, Tajh Boyd

Poindexter yes! I remember my bro was a CB and a good one. He made child's play outta him when they played Appo.

Joe Reed and Thornhill are hard to gauge. I seen both on field and wished i qould have seen them on a 3A or 5A team.

What sucks in this thread is what about OL? Its hard to say if they were the best or best you've seen.

This one is way back there for you guys, but Ronnie Erb from Petersburg, 1964-68, was the best I ever saw. His offensive play got him the attention, but his talent and speed in the defense got him a full ride to Alabama in the Bear Bryant era. Unfortunately he made some bad choices in his freshman year at Bama and he never got the chance to prove himself.

This one is way back there for you guys, but Ronnie Erb from Petersburg, 1964-68, was the best I ever saw. His offensive play got him the attention, but his talent and speed in the defense got him a full ride to Alabama in the Bear Bryant era. Unfortunately he made some bad choices in his freshman year at Bama and he never got the chance to prove himself.
DP, if I were to ask you about baseball, would you say Babe Ruth or Ty Cobb was more entertaining to watch in person? If you can recall that far back sir.

Percy Harvin (saw him dunk in basketball in finals over a guy 6'8")

John Phillips from Bath County who still plays in the NFL was a man among boys in his day.

In term of freakish athletic ability it is Logan Thomas for me. His senior year at 6'6 225 pounds he was second discus, fourth in the high jump and third in 110 hurdles at the Group AA state meet.He was also first team all-state in basketball that year. Has anyone ever heard of anyone ever getting that close to winning state titles in the high jump and shot put.

He was a freak of athletic nature. I still think he would have gone far as a TE in the NFL.

Ahmad Bradshaw - Graham

2x Super Bowl champion with the Giants, played 3 seasons with the colts

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT