ADVERTISEMENT

Best Kickers and records

uvacavs1

VaPreps All District
Jul 30, 2010
Read in the Richmond paper that Goochland's kicker Jacob Haywood converted a 47 field goal last week (7th best in the Times-Dispatch high school record book). That is all classes 6A to 1A. The longest was a 52 yarder by an Atlee (Class 5A) kicker in 2000.

Anyone know the record for Class A?

Please nominate who you think may be the top Class 1A kicker this season. I know that Riverheads has a good one. Middlesex had a great kicker last season but he graduated.

Galax? Chilhowie? Others?

Northumberland has Jr. K Harry Lee. Harry (also a soccer star for the Indians) has the school record with a 43-yard field goal. I think that his longest this season is a 37-yard FG (unless I missed one).

Lee also regularly boots the football into the end zone on kickoffs.

One issue that may cause concern for Indian fans is with 6 games in the next 19 days (starting Monday v W&L), NHS may not have much time to practice special teams. However, they must get the timing down as the only kicks I have seen Harry Lee miss are when there is a bad snap/hold/ or the D comes through.

Perfect the team timing and maybe we will see Lee with a 50 yarder!

Read in the Richmond paper that Goochland's kicker Jacob Haywood converted a 47 field goal last week (7th best in the Times-Dispatch high school record book). That is all classes 6A to 1A. The longest was a 52 yarder by an Atlee (Class 5A) kicker in 2000.

Anyone know the record for Class A?

Please nominate who you think may be the top Class 1A kicker this season. I know that Riverheads has a good one. Middlesex had a great kicker last season but he graduated.

Galax? Chilhowie? Others?

Richlands has the best kicker in the SWVA area. He’s a junior. Hit a 52 yard field goal vs. Bluefield and was only a yard or 2 shy from hitting a 57 yarder.

In class A Jordan Stout from Honaker is the best to come to mind recently. He handles th kickoffs for Virginia Tech now and is nationally ranked in the top 10 in kickoff average.

NNDman or NND Sports Fan (or anybody who may know) -

What is the record for the longest Field Goal in NND? Who, when? Maybe the top 3 longest if known.

Back in the old days, many teams never even kicked extra points. Some still never do.

Personally im not a fan of high school kicking, reason why most kickers in high school are aided by the use of a kicking boot. This seems to be the normal from teams in the western part of the State. Its legal but im not supporting it.

Richlands has the best kicker in the SWVA area. He’s a junior. Hit a 52 yard field goal vs. Bluefield and was only a yard or 2 shy from hitting a 57 yarder.

In class A Jordan Stout from Honaker is the best to come to mind recently. He handles th kickoffs for Virginia Tech now and is nationally ranked in the top 10 in kickoff average.
Did they use kicking boots ?

I don't see all that many kicking boots in the West. A few, but most of the kickers around are soccer style kickers (players) and it just isn't conducive to a boot. I know Honaker used to use one, but some of the best kickers in the area (and the ones who move forward) just pop a cleat on. I personally feel kicking is under-utilized by many teams who leave a lot of points on the field as a result of it. When you are mediocre at best, maybe just go for one after you lucked into the endzone, maybe don't go for it on 4th and 8 from the 22.

Off the main subject here but wonder what the state record is for most field goals kicked in one game? I know PM and Bath County combined for something like 5 field goals made between the two in an upset victory for Bath back in 2015.

Reactions: uvacavs1
I'm not aware of kids using a kicking boot but several.of them kick off a 1" or 2" block which does help considerably. Some do kick off the ground.

Reactions: MGF
Grundy's Dillon Reece kicked 5 vs. Twin Valley back in '02 to tie the record.
Blacksburg's Caleb Violette tied that in a 5 OT loss to Giles in '06. Cody Journell had 3 for Giles, so 8 total in that game.

Reactions: mmqp
Personally im not a fan of high school kicking, reason why most kickers in high school are aided by the use of a kicking boot. This seems to be the normal from teams in the western part of the State. Its legal but im not supporting it.
Kicking Boot, what is that? Is that like the old school kicking shoes? I have not seen one of those since the 90's. I thought the straight on kicking style was outdated. Most kickers today use the soccer style.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT