ADVERTISEMENT

Best Since 2013 Not To Win State Title

CRF4Dan

Richmond Region Football Writer
Staff
Dec 17, 2012
Mechanicsville, VA
I cannot recall what it was but earlier this week I got to thinking about the teams who have been good but have not won a state title. Specifically I was thinking the best teams since the realignment of 2013, not all-time. Here is what I came up with for Class 3.

Top 4 Without a State Final Appearance
Abingdon - 66% Win Pct. with a mark of 81-41
Spotswood - 61% Win Pct. with a mark of 73-45
Brentsville District - 59% Win Pct. with a mark of 75-52
East Rockingham - 58% Win Pct. with a mark of 71-51

Top 4 To Appear In State Final But Not Win
Lord Botetourt - 79% Win Pct. with a mark of 108-28, 0-3 in State Finals
Kettle Run - 63% Win Pct. with a mark of 77-44, 0-1 in State Finals
Wilson Memorial - 52% Win Pct. with a mark of 62-55, 0-1 in State Finals
Staunton - 52% Win Pct. with a mark of 63-57, 0-1 in State Finals

So my question for fans of Class 3 is who from these two groups do you feel best about in 2024 and why?

Last edited:
Reactions: BoKnowsSports
Kettle Run has been beating my Fauquier Falcons for years. I saw them dismantle seemingly everyone the past couple of seasons and before their injuries I thought they had a chance this past season. Brentsville has also been very good when not matched up with Phoebus.

I also saw Kettle Run's JV team beat my grandson's JV team by what had to be 50 points. So they should be able to reload.
I cannot recall what it was but earlier this week I got to thinking about the teams who have been good but have not won a state title. Specifically I was thinking the best teams since the realignment of 2013, not all-time. Here is what I came up with for Class 3.

Top 4 Without a State Final Appearance
Abingdon - 66% Win Pct. with a mark of 81-41
Spotswood - 61% Win Pct. with a mark of 73-45
Brentsville District - 59% Win Pct. with a mark of 75-52
East Rockingham - 58% Win Pct. with a mark of 71-51

Top 4 To Appear In State Final But Not Win
Lord Botetourt - 79% Win Pct. with a mark of 108-28, 0-3 in State Finals
Kettle Run - 63% Win Pct. with a mark of 77-44, 0-1 in State Finals
Wilson Memorial - 52% Win Pct. with a mark of 62-55, 0-1 in State Finals
Staunton - 52% Win Pct. with a mark of 63-57, 0-1 in State Finals

So my question for fans of Class 3 is who from these two groups do you feel best about in 2024 and why?

Brentsville District's issue is that they compete in a very weak region. They probably wouldn't have much of a chance against the other side of the bracket anyways if they ever made it to a state final.

Lord Botetourt is clearly the runaway disappointment here. Class 3 has been pretty meh over the years anyways and you never know when these opportunities run out.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT