ADVERTISEMENT

Best Stadiums?

There is an area in the endzone that separates the field turf from the bushes. It is about five feet wide and serves somewhat as a warning track before you get to the bushes. There is no athletic track around the field at Salem Stadium. No other sport is played in Salem Stadium.

So what is the area in Salem Staduim that is about 5-7 yards wide that completely encircles the football field and the cheerleaders stand on called?

Reactions: schoolboard
You know what I find ludicrous? Somebody pointing out a thousand times whether a track is around the field. Not everybody is going to be sitting in the first row, so what difference does it make. There needs to be an area separating players/field personnel from the cheerleaders, and cheerleaders from the fans.

You know what I find ludicrous? Somebody pointing out a thousand times whether a track is around the field. Not everybody is going to be sitting in the first row, so what difference does it make. There needs to be an area separating players/field personnel from the cheerleaders, and cheerleaders from the fans.[/

Darn cheerleaders. Just can't trust them! (Just kidding, just kidding).

Reactions: ClarkeFan83
So what is the area in Salem Staduim that is about 5-7 yards wide that completely encircles the football field and the cheerleaders stand on called?
Not a track in any form or fashion. As I said it serves much like a warning track does in baseball. It's about three steps wide

You know what I find ludicrous? Somebody pointing out a thousand times whether a track is around the field. Not everybody is going to be sitting in the first row, so what difference does it make. There needs to be an area separating players/field personnel from the cheerleaders, and cheerleaders from the fans.
A track significantly puts you further away from the action in any seat. High or low. It is however a financially effective way for most schools to provide both venues

Just so we're 100% clear. No you didn't insult me, you insulted another well respected member on this message board. This is an opinion thread and no one should be bashed for their opinion, especially the way you insulted and disrespected Wikki. Not cool at all.
I disagree, this an opinion message board, therefore there will be opinions that clash. While I might respect the person I do not have to respect their opinion if I find it unsupportable by any logic or facts. I tried to point out the absurdity of your logic in a previous post. Was that somehow lost on you? One of the problems we have today is everyone is scared of hurting someone's feelings by what they say or do ie political correctness runs amuck. Grow a pair and move on.

In the Northwestern district I'd say Handley has the best stadium, but Skyline is above and away second, and, in my opinion, has a more beautiful view than at Handley, especially at night.

James Wood comes in third since it's rather unique as far as layouts go. Not the prettiest sight in the world, but it's certainly not bland. Millbrook has a fairly average stadium. Good quality, but nothing really stands out about it.

Arrowhead Stadium is a lot of things, but pretty isn't one of them. It's not a new stadium and that's abundantly clear. That said, on Friday nights no other school in the district comes close to the atmosphere present at Sherando.

For battlefield district its Maury Stadium in Fredericksburg with King George second! love Orange's Paul Sizemore Park formerly Porterfield park but I miss the old bathrooms that they tore down where you actually urinated in a floor urinals!

In the Northwestern district I'd say Handley has the best stadium, but Skyline is above and away second, and, in my opinion, has a more beautiful view than at Handley, especially at night.

James Wood comes in third since it's rather unique as far as layouts go. Not the prettiest sight in the world, but it's certainly not bland. Millbrook has a fairly average stadium. Good quality, but nothing really stands out about it.

Arrowhead Stadium is a lot of things, but pretty isn't one of them. It's not a new stadium and that's abundantly clear. That said, on Friday nights no other school in the district comes close to the atmosphere present at Sherando.
I thought Sherando had a great stadium, but that is the only one I have been to in that area

It amazes me to all the likes of oranges field when it's nothing really good about it but being able to sit right up on it. You play in the outfield of a baseball field with only bleachers really being the home bleachers with a couple removable bleachers for the visitors. I remember 2 years ago EV playing on that field in what appeared to be 3-5 inches of rain with a river flowing over the brick wall in that downpour. To me there is nothing great about oranges field it's one of the worst in the state to me. It's definitely the worst in 5A!

One of the things that Salem Stadium does that few other stadiums have is the seating is elevated. You get to look down on the action with no obstructions. You can see what is going on on the other side of the field, you are not blocked by players. This is huge. Can't tell you how many times at away games you can't see the action on the opposing side of the field A track usually exasperates the problem. Pulaski is not bad in this area but the best away stadium that does this well is Franklin County.

A track significantly puts you further away from the action in any seat. High or low. It is however a financially effective way for most schools to provide both venues

You are correct. A standard High School Track is 8 lanes wide, Just under 10 yards. The non-track thingy that encircles the Salem Football-only stadium that the cheerleaders stand on is only 7 or 8 yards wide. Those 2 extra yards really make the difference.

You are correct. A standard High School Track is 8 lanes wide, Just under 10 yards. The non-track thingy that encircles the Salem Football-only stadium that the cheerleaders stand on is only 7 or 8 yards wide. Those 2 extra yards really make the difference.
There is a big difference and it is definitely obvious. If you've been to both you would understand.

That area is a warning track and an area that separates the field turf from the stadium wall. It is not a track, has never been used as a track. The stadium was built for football only. Fields that have tracks usually have something similar outside the outside lane to separate the runners from the stadium wall. The area you are referring to at Salem stadium is three to five yards wide

Too seriously compare William Fleming to Salem is ludicrous. Not in same league. To hold that opinion is to lose all credibility on this subject. I think your anti Salem bias is showing.

I disagree, this an opinion message board, therefore there will be opinions that clash. While I might respect the person I do not have to respect their opinion if I find it unsupportable by any logic or facts. I tried to point out the absurdity of your logic in a previous post. Was that somehow lost on you? One of the problems we have today is everyone is scared of hurting someone's feelings by what they say or do ie political correctness runs amuck. Grow a pair and move on.
You could easily get your points across and simply say you disagree instead of throwing in "lose all credibility" and accusing someone of showing "anti-Salem bias" over a subject as simple as stadiums. That's how you were disrespectful, and politicians say the exact same disrespectful things today. "Political correctness" indeed.

You could easily get your points across and simply say you disagree instead of throwing in "lose all credibility" and accusing someone of showing "anti-Salem bias" over a subject as simple as stadiums. That's how you were disrespectful, and politicians say the exact same disrespectful things today. "Political correctness" indeed.
Noticed I said "on this subject" Saying someone is showing their anti Salem bias is disrespectful? Wow, is saying that someone is showing their anti VA tech or Uva bias disrespectful? If so most of the people in this state are disrespectful by your definition. Can't we just all find a campfire , sing kumbyya and get along.

I'm off here but my account remains open till July so no one ever should disrespect Wikki on this board. This individual knows her Football. Her opinion needs to be given utmost respect. But my Chicken Taco Soup is still better. Yes girl, that's a challenge. And you'll still get a hug and kiss after.

Now, as far as fields go, I can never vote for a location with artificial turf. One of the worst inventions ever and simply contributes to the inevitable football injuries. Nothing creates more injuries from non-contact than an artificial surface. IMO.

I don't care what the food is like. I would never eat that concession stand crap. I don't care what the restrooms are like. I'll piss behind the stands.

If you have room to view and two good teams playing on a grass surface, you already have the best venue available.

Just so we're 100% clear. No you didn't insult me, you insulted another well respected member on this message board. This is an opinion thread and no one should be bashed for their opinion, especially the way you insulted and disrespected Wikki. Not cool at all.
Thanks Danvillesportshead. I value your opinion and I respect Mike Salem and Dinwiddie. I have met both of them and they are really nice people.

I'm off here but my account remains open till July so no one ever should disrespect Wikki on this board. This individual knows her Football. Her opinion needs to be given utmost respect. But my Chicken Taco Soup is still better. Yes girl, that's a challenge. And you'll still get a hug and kiss after.

Now, as far as fields go, I can never vote for a location with artificial turf. One of the worst inventions ever and simply contributes to the inevitable football injuries. Nothing creates more injuries from non-contact than an artificial surface. IMO.

I don't care what the food is like. I would never eat that concession stand crap. I don't care what the restrooms are like. I'll piss behind the stands.

If you have room to view and two good teams playing on a grass surface, you already have the best venue available.
ShauntClair we can disagree but at least it is respectful. I like field turf myself and like I said I was stating the entire thing about a stadium not just seats, etc I wasn't ugly about it at all just stated my opinion and got attacked but it's ok, it just shows what kind of person they are. oh yeah, my chicken taco soup is better and so is my chili, lol. I actually won a chili cook off, have the trophy to prove it

Thanks Danvillesportshead. I value your opinion and I respect Mike Salem and Dinwiddie. I have met both of them and they are really nice people.
Yes ma'am they are great people and friends. And you're welcome! No one should be bashed for their opinion. You've always been respectful and courteous to everybody on these boards.

Reactions: wikki
ShauntClair we can disagree but at least it is respectful. I like field turf myself and like I said I was stating the entire thing about a stadium not just seats, etc I wasn't ugly about it at all just stated my opinion and got attacked but it's ok, it just shows what kind of person they are. oh yeah, my chicken taco soup is better and so is my chili, lol. I actually won a chili cook off, have the trophy to prove it
Ok isn't that a personal attack by dear old Wikki? She's not being critical of my opinion, she's being critical of my character. And all of this without once ever meeting me. By the way, that's fine , not upset, just making a point. I'm very secure in the knowledge that those who know me respect me and my character. So like I said get a tougher hide and move on.

Per VAPreps protocols, once you're paid for the year, you're paid. You can cancel your automatic renewal. You can cancel your account. You cannot cancel your access. There are no refunds.

So I do read and may elect to occasionally chime in. Mostly personal messages so far. On the general board, I have only selected to respond to what Louisa has done with the Cancer movement. I thought it was important and passed it on to the right people. But I could not let Wikki abuse go. She is my most respected evaluator of teams on this board. Period. She knows.

Plus I would not let the Taco Chicken Soup go. And I've never even made it. I have no recipe. I don't have a recipe for anything. But I'm a kick ass cook and this would be a "Beat Bobby Flay" scenario. Bring it girl. I do have to say, even though I change it every time because I have no recipe, my Venison Chile has never been rated anything less than "stunning".

But I realized I'm lying here. My marinara sauce is a recipe. baking is science and MUST be a recipe. My apologies to Wikki for exaggerating.

Last edited:
Per VAPreps protocols, once you're paid for the year, you're paid. You can cancel your automatic renewal. You can cancel your account. You cannot cancel your access. There are no refunds.

So I do read and may elect to occasionally chime in. Mostly personal messages so far. On the general board, I have only selected to respond to what Louisa has done with the Cancer movement. I thought it was important and passed it on to the right people. But I could not let Wikki abuse go. She is my most respected evaluator of teams on this board. Period. She knows.

Plus I would not let the Taco Chicken Soup go. And I've never even made it. I have no recipe. I don't have a recipe for anything. But I'm a kick ass cook and this would be a "Beat Bobby Flay" scenario. Bring it girl. I do have to say, even though I change it every time because I have no recipe, my Venison Chile has never been rated anything less than "stunning".

But I realized I'm lying here. My marinara sauce is a recipe. baking is science and MUST be a recipe. My apologies to Wikki for exaggerating.
Lol Shaunty you're hilarious my man! :D

Thanks Shanty for your support. I am a very caring person and volunteer for many things other than the boosters. I love animals and love to cook. My passion is high school football especially the Lancers. Anyone that knows me will tell you that. I also like this board because it talks about high school football, just wish it would stay respectful

What is ludicrous is that northtopc does not factor the food in with a stadiums amenimities. Come on man! BTW Brunswick High Schools field is atrocious but I always enjoyed fresh fried fish sandwiches every other year when my son was playing in the Southside District.

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
What is ludicrous is that northtopc does not factor the food in with a stadiums amenimities. Come on man! BTW Brunswick High Schools field is atrocious but I always enjoyed fresh fried fish sandwiches every other year when my son was playing in the Southside District.
That's my point. Lots of bad stadiums with good food apparently. Me, I have never eaten at a high school game.

Noticed I said "on this subject" Saying someone is showing their anti Salem bias is disrespectful? Wow, is saying that someone is showing their anti VA tech or Uva bias disrespectful? If so most of the people in this state are disrespectful by your definition. Can't we just all find a campfire , sing kumbyya and get along.
Would be no need to find a campfire if people defended their opinions in a respectful and thoughtful manner as opposed to a contentious and condescending manner. That approach is what really qualifies as ludicrous and damaging to one's credibility. Quite frankly, the Salem Stadium and the William Fleming Stadium are both extremely nice venues, designed with different goals and objectives, and both meet their tasks very effectively and efficiently. Both are great municipal assets. Salem Stadium is a great small size municipal stadium and the William Fleming athletic complex, including the football stadium, is arguably one of the nicest ON CAMPUS setups in the entire state. While my opinion(with which you are free to disagree) does not encompass attendance at games at all 300+ Virginia high schools it has been formed over many years with attendance at well north of 100 of those schools.

I'm curious what you think the goals and objectives were for Salem Stadium. I happen to know exactly what they were when it was built , but I m interested in what you think they were.

Some interesting facts. Fleming seats 3000, Salem 8000; Fleming field marked for soccer, lacrosse, and football --- Salem is football only. Fleming has an Eight lane track around the field putting the fans further away from the field, Salem does not. Salems stands go up higher giving the fan a better view. Bathrooms and Parking are about even and I'll even call the lighting even even though I have never seen a better lit high school field than Salem. Bothvschools have field turf. The landscaping around the field comparison is subjective, but Salems landscaping is emaculate. Very little landscaping at Fleming. Cleanliness we ll call even, because I don't know about Fleming, but Salem stadium is spotless. Who knows and who cares about a food comparison, if we are going to evaluate food then you might as well compare bands and cheerleader's. The above analysis includes facts (very little subjective judgement), check them if you want. William Fleming is a wonderful facility but the two stadiums are not reasonably comparable as a football venue. If you want to take points away from Salem Stadium because it is not on campus that's reasonable (however, if you think about it why? Salem does not share that stadium with another school or sport---maybe more schools should do this since school property sometimes presents limitations). So looking at the facts if you like Fleming better than Salem stadium you are ignoring the relevant facts. To ignore those facts makes one wonder if some kind of bias is involved.

Last edited:
Some interesting facts. Fleming seats 3000, Salem 8000; Fleming field marked for soccer, lacrosse, and football --- Salem is football only. Fleming has an Eight lane track around the field putting the fans further away from the field, Salem does not. Salems stands go up higher giving the fan a better view. Bathrooms and Parking are about even and I'll even call the lighting even even though I have never seen a better lit high school field than Salem. Bothvschools have field turf. The landscaping around the field comparison is subjective, but Salems landscaping is emaculare. Very little landscaping at Fleming. Cleanliness we ll call even, because I don't know about Fleming, but Salem stadium is spotless. Who knows and who cares about a food comparison, if we are going to evaluate food then you might as well compare bands and cheerleader's. The above analysis includes facts (very little subjective judgement), check them if you want. William Fleming is a wonderful facility but the two stadiums are not reasonably comparable as a football venue. If you want to take points away from Salem Stadium because it is not on campus that's reasonable (however, if you think about it why? Salem does not share that stadium with another school or sport---maybe more schools should do this since school property sometimes presents limitations). So looking at the facts if you like Fleming better than Salem stadium you are ignoring the relevant facts. To ignore those facts makes one wonder if some kind of bias is involved.

Food, bands, cheerleaders, crowd, sound system all contribute to atmosphere. Pretty important.

But yes, we all get it... Salem is the best. Nobody can compare.

Food, bands, cheerleaders, crowd, sound system all contribute to atmosphere. Pretty important.

Maybe someone should start a thread about best atmosphere. If so I nominate Louisa. Salem's is good, but only for competitive games. When the opposing team doesn't bring anyone it's kind of a downer. Fortunately or unfortunately Salem has not had a lot of competitive games the last few years. Danville was competitive two years ago and they brought a good crowd. Amherst beat us this year but they did not bring a good crowd. PH this year might be good

Some of the JD crows are awesome. When Cville, Western and Albeamrle play each other the student sections go crazy
Unfortunately not a lot of away fans go to Louisa/Powhatan because it's too far

Sound system at Salem is best I've heard anywhere. Don't remember Flemings

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT