ADVERTISEMENT

Blacksburg, 2 losses to Class 1 schools Grundy and Giles

Fairlawncat

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Nov 24, 2018
Grundy 20, Blacksburg 19.

A team that won the 3A State Title in 2016 and a team that was probably the best 4A team in 2017 losing a nailbiter to Salem and Salem went on to win the state title easily. Now, in only a 4 year period, they are 0-2. Those two losses for Blacksburg, the Class 4 school comes at the hands of Giles Class 1, and Grundy, Class 1. Now it's one thing to struggle or have a down season, and I know Giles and Blacksburg is an opening traditional rival game dating back to the old New River, but going from a State Title in 16 at 3A and probably should have had another in 17 at the 4A level to losing to not one, but two Class 1 schools to open the season. Craziness.

Last edited:
They also lost to Class 3 Lord Botetourt last Thursday. There was so much speed and size on the 2016-2018 teams. Its all gone now.

Reactions: SFUWO
They also lost to Class 3 Lord Botetourt last Thursday. There was so much speed and size on the 2016-2018 teams. Its all gone now.

It's just remarkable to fall out like that. That fast from where they were, and now losing to two 1A schools. I get a Giles loss on most years as Giles is a rival and normally a powerhouse, but Giles has been down for a bit and is still not old Giles, and Grundy hasn't been good since the 90s. A school with that many kids going from a state title and a near miss for another state title all within the last 60 months.

For starters they don't have the talent that was on those teams. Don't forget that they were a 500 team the yr they won 3A. After they lost to Woodgrove, I don't think they would have beaten Louisa Co. Not to mention they still lost to Salem at home.

Reactions: lyhsports
Talent or not a 4A school that has the athletic program like Blacksburg does/did you shouldn’t lose to 2 1A non power schools. Giles hasn’t had a winning record in 4 years and Grundy doesn’t have enough playes to fill out a JV team. It’s not like they were playing a 1A team with talent like Riverheads.

They also lost to Class 3 Lord Botetourt last Thursday. There was so much speed and size on the 2016-2018 teams. Its all gone

Talent or not a 4A school that has the athletic program like Blacksburg does/did you shouldn’t lose to 2 1A non power schools. Giles hasn’t had a winning record in 4 years and Grundy doesn’t have enough playes to fill out a JV team. It’s not like they were playing a 1A team with talent like Riverheads.
Did you not see their spring season?

Grundy 20, Blacksburg 19.

A team that won the 3A State Title in 2016 and a team that was probably the best 4A team in 2017 losing a nailbiter to Salem and Salem went on to win the state title easily. Now, in only a 4 year period, they are 0-2. Those two losses for Blacksburg, the Class 4 school comes at the hands of Giles Class 1, and Grundy, Class 1. Now it's one thing to struggle or have a down season, and I know Giles and Blacksburg is an opening traditional rival game dating back to the old New River, but going from a State Title in 16 at 3A and probably should have had another in 17 at the 4A level to losing to not one, but two Class 1 schools to open the season. Craziness.
In talking with people that are involved in that program there is not a shortage of kids/talent. The problem is the coach they hired. If you look at his record it is abysmal at best. He is simply not a good coach. I have been told that by his past head coach bosses and others. They hired him ONLY because he was a local guy and a feel good hire. He has and will run that program into the ground if they let him. And based on what I am hearing the administration is content on letting him do just that. That will impact who comes out and plays and who does not. The frustration for some is high.

Agree. That's what I'm getting at.

Don't assume Crist will automatically leave the confines of Radford for Blacksburg. One administration is much better to work for.

Sloss took over in 2018 and in that season, BBurg was one play away from playing in another state championship as Woodgrove beat em in OT. In 2019, 6-5, but Terry and a bunch of talented graduated. Of course, the spring of 21 and at present are ugly. Just weird to be one play away from playing in a 4A state title game less than 36 months ago to losing to 1A Grundy.

Reactions: lyhsports
You may be right. My opinion is if the B-burg job came open in a couple years, he would be the obvious front runner. If he wanted it

You may be right. My opinion is if the B-burg job came open in a couple years, he would be the obvious front runner. If he wanted it
Agree, as long as he does well at Radford. Chris still has to prove himself because he did not turn around VA Highs program. Nobody else hardly has either it its history other than Paul Wheeler, but Crist winning at Radford clearly would make him the frontrunner.

Agree, as long as he does well at Radford. Chris still has to prove himself because he did not turn around VA Highs program. Nobody else hardly has either it its history other than Paul Wheeler, but Crist winning at Radford clearly would make him the frontrunner.
If he wanted the job I think he probably would've went for it when Wells left. I don't think he wants it, nothing I know but just saying!

I remember Giles having some really good football teams in the 90s and not a bad run not too awfully long ago. Really good fan support too like Salem.

Last edited:
Reactions: SFUWO
Watched the game against PH. Spring schedule was against

Watched the PH game. Losing kids and getting beat by schools the same size is understandable. You should still have more talent then average schools 2 or 3 divisions below you.
No it's still about how you lose. They lost to C4 schools by 50+ pts. Heck C3 Hidden Valley beat them 22-0 and it was their only win

In the spring they scored 7 pts in 6 games. They got shutout in 5 of their games. Their best player had a season ending injury in the first game of the spring and he's still not playing TMK.

The root of this problem starts with Blacksburg Parks and Recreation , they dont care about providing sports for the youth of Blacksburg. Last spring there was no heavyweight teams , the kids either played on the middle school team or played in C-burg . Also last spring there wasn't enough numbers for a jv team, basically the varsity was the the jv We have had some skilled kids give up football to specialize in other sports, Some coaches gave it up to follow their children sports. Blacksburg football has been this way since the 90s we will have decent teams about 4 out of 10 years . Our coaches are coaching hard, our kids are playing hard, thats all I can ask , and I'll be there Thursday and Friday nights bleeding royal blue and gold Onward Bruins.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT