ADVERTISEMENT

Bland County????

MT FAN 91

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Oct 19, 2013
I was told the other day that they wouldn't have enough players to field a varsity team this year, does anyone know if this is true???

Seeing the same thing on the SWVASports board. Terrible if so for both the kids that wanted to play and for schools like the one I follow to be suddenly short a game. Roanoke Catholic might be getting some phone calls soon if this is the case.

Reactions: MT FAN 91
Seeing the same thing on the SWVASports board. Terrible if so for both the kids that wanted to play and for schools like the one I follow to be suddenly short a game. Roanoke Catholic might be getting some phone calls soon if this is the case.
Yes it is a bad deal for all involved and I hate it for the kids,coaches ,parents,school and the community. I know they're on a lot of teams schedules so it will be interesting to see how that is handled.

If Galax and Narrows are both on their schedule maybe they can work something out to play each other assuming all this is true.

All depends on open dates. From what I'm seeing, not likely. Narrows' open date is 9/27 and the potential Bland Co. opening would be 9/6. Galax has their bye the first week of October and the Bland Co. opening isn't till November 1st.

Last edited:
All depends on open dates. From what I'm seeing, not likely. Narrows' open date is 9/27 and the potential Bland Co. opening would be 9/4. Galax has their bye the first week of October and the Bland Co. opening isn't till November 1st.
I hadn't even looked at Narrows schedule so yeah that would be dang near impossible.

Come on VHSL, you better do something to keep the small school kids interested..and I DO NOT mean adopt an 8 man football league.

As the private schools go, the public schools follow...

Reactions: obguthr
Narrows and Northwood have announced that they will replace their Bland games with a game in Narrows on 9/6. Thankful it lined up quickly to have a replacement able to come to Narrows and for the program to not be short a gate. Football game gates a big part of the budget. Would have hurt to lose one.

Not good in a lot of ways.
1.the kids not getting to play that wanted to.
2. That is a lot of money that Blands athletic program will miss out on. Money that pays for ALOT of other sports.
3. If the schools that are on their schedule cannot find a replacement game, it will cost them playoff points and the difference between hosting a home playoff game or traveling away.

Not good in a lot of ways.
3. If the schools that are on their schedule cannot find a replacement game, it will cost them playoff points and the difference between hosting a home playoff game or traveling away.

WRONG! Like the lady said on TV... It Doesn't Work That Way'!

Full explaination is in a sticky pinned at the top of the 1A forum page.

Short version - points earned divided by games played. So, last year ... GW (6-4) had 201 pts / 20.1 rating for 10 games. If Bland was not there... take off 20 points... 181 for 9 games = 20.1 rating.
Odd that it worked out that way.
If GW takes a FFT this year, they'll get 16 pts and no possible riders. If they 'erase' the game, it isn't counted. So GW will take a hit in pts. ...
1.) IF they take the FFT AND expect more than 4 wins..
2.) If they 'erase' the game and expect more than 5 wins
3.) play a new team worth fewer pts. than Bland.(like Montcalm)

Short version - points earned divided by games played. So, last year ... GW (6-4) had 201 pts / 20.1 rating for 10 games. If Bland was not there... take off 20 points... 181 for 9 games = 20.1 rating.
If GW takes a FFT this year, they'll get 16 pts and no possible riders. If they 'erase' the game, it isn't counted. So GW will take a hit in pts. ...
Thanks for the info.

Two years ago, Appo ppl. were mad at the AD for playing Fork Union Military (which didn't count). Thing is, a win against something like a 5-5 team would have knocked them down a spot and they would've WENT to Giles instead of hosting them.

Most of the open dates match up with a team already scheduled -
8/30, 10/4 - Craig Co. (H)
10/4, 11/1 - Galax (H)
10/11, 11/1 - Rural Retreat (A)
10/11, 10/25 - George Wythe (A)
10/18, 11/8 - Auburn (H)
10/18, 11/8 - Fort Chiswell (A)

only other possibilites I see...
8/30, 9/27, 10/18 - Montcalm
10/11, 10/18 - North Cross
9/6, 9/27 - Roanoke Catholic (oh well)

So the rider points is where they could lose points correct?

Aren't there some tie break scenarios around teams with a full 10 game schedule versus a team that played 10 but that have an opponent that only played 9. I seem to remember it happening but don't remember the circumstances and how its ruled.

yep - played 9 gets the advantage, because a 10th would have given them the chance for more pts. Anyone that plays Montcalm usually gets that advantage.

So the rider points is where they could lose points correct?

Not that simple. They'll lose regular points if they 'erase'.
It's not the points that matter ... it's the AVERAGE.
IF you're looking at 6 wins this year, beating a 2-3 win team will HURT/DROP your ratings average.

Two years ago, Appo ppl. were mad at the AD for playing Fork Union Military (which didn't count). Thing is, a win against something like a 5-5 team would have knocked them down a spot and they would've WENT to Giles instead of hosting them.
Fork Union replaced playing a 4a team which either helps or hurts Appo depending on who wins. I personally would have liked to have played a 3a team where the game counted and have let the chips fall where they may. Last years fiasco hurt Appo in my opinion with the young team we had. Our guys needed another game to build on to help overcome mistakes which killed us in playoffs.

Come on VHSL, you better do something to keep the small school kids interested..and I DO NOT mean adopt an 8 man football league.

As the private schools go, the public schools follow...
VA is one of the few states that don't offer an alternative to small schools. Some private schools are experimenting with 8 man football but so far the VHSL is quiet.

VA is one of the few states that don't offer an alternative to small schools. Some private schools are experimenting with 8 man football but so far the VHSL is quiet.
I believe the vhsl inquired about it a couple years ago. Maybe when the private schools started playing. I remember several teams being "interested" but it died when it came down to having an actual meeting of how to organize it. The schools "interested" didn't want to make the plunge or commitment to it.

This might not be entirely how it went down but I seem to vaguely remember that a year or two ago

Reactions: DinwiddieProud

Very true....but as a Giles person let me say....it wouldn't have mattered if that game was played at Appomattox, Pearisburg or Australia the outcome would have been the same lol

Reactions: moto138
I believe the vhsl inquired about it a couple years ago. Maybe when the private schools started playing. I remember several teams being "interested" but it died when it came down to having an actual meeting of how to organize it. The schools "interested" didn't want to make the plunge or commitment to it.

This might not be entirely how it went down but I seem to vaguely remember that a year or two ago
thanx
that's more than anyone else remembers

I know NC has 8 man for the private ranks, but which states on the east coast offer 8 man for the public schools? I know it's popular out in the midwest but not sure i can think of any east coast states that do it. And those schools are teeny tiny, Highland County sized schools that do run either 6 man or 8 man. I feel like you're opening a can of worms if you start that stuff for any sized schools here in VA. It'll be interesting how this topic looks 10 years from now. Hopefully a forgotten proposal.

Last edited:
I know NC has 8 man for the private ranks, but which states on the east coast offer 8 man for the public schools? I know it's popular out in the midwest but not sure i can think of any east coast states that do it. And those schools are teeny tiny, Highland County sized schools that do run either 6 man or 8 man. I feel like you're opening a can of worms if you start that stuff for any sized schools here in VA. It'll be interesting how this topic looks 10 years from now. Hopefully a forgotten proposal.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eight-man_football

I was told the other day that they wouldn't have enough players to field a varsity team this year, does anyone know if this is true???
I think its a trend everywhere with lower numbers. With the emphasis the media has put on head injuries and cte I just think that has put a damper on contact football. In our area most all the little league participation is down. I watch a little of a Riverheads practice and it looked like the varsity numbers were down a bit and I know Waynesboro does not have enough to field a jv team this year. Wouldnt surprise me if in the next ten years there is no contact football in little league or at the 1A or 2A level.

A study on participation in high school sports-in all sports from 45% to 38%

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT