ADVERTISEMENT

Boys Class 3 “West” Quarterfinals set

blackknight_pride

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Sep 27, 2016
Harrisonburg
Northside (26-1) @ Spotswood (24-2), if the game is neutral site (can’t remember) I’m guessing it’ll be at East Rockingham.

Staunton (21-6) @ Cave Spring (22-5)

I think both Region D teams will advance but who knows. Both Spotswood and Staunton are young.

I would also. Have a good friend who lives up in that area. Says not the same type of Paul Hatcher teams. I remember watching them at U Hall many years ago. Geez that was a while ago.

Reactions: pizzzzza
I’m guessing Spotwood/Northside will be at East Rockingham, and Cave Spring/Staunton will probably be at Roanoke College or Salem Civic Center.

Bring back the Super Sites for the State Quarters. They at least allowed fans to be able to witness multiple state games.
VHSL doesn’t look at it that way. Not enough dollars for them. I respect what VHSL does but when it comes to financial gains, takes precedent over practically. In all sports regionals, state semifinals, and finals all should be at neutral sites.

VHSL doesn’t look at it that way. Not enough dollars for them. I respect what VHSL does but when it comes to financial gains, takes precedent over practically. In all sports regionals, state semifinals, and finals all should be at neutral sites.

Speaking of this, I was actually thinking yesterday how different it would be if the regional/state tournament was set up like March Madness, solely single elimination. I think you have to have the regions for travel sake, but why don't we get rid of the re-seeding for the state tournament after regionals, how much more epic would it be if the Regional Championships were winner-take all for a spot in the state Final Four? Obviously that means less games and less money, but I think that would make Regional Championships that much more important and an epic Final Four atmosphere between the four region champs. Stakes are high, and teams don't have to travel as far. Just a thought. Way less teams make it to "states" and that's how it should be.

Last edited:
Speaking of this, I was actually thinking yesterday how different it would be if the regional/state tournament was set up like March Madness, solely single elimination. I think you have to have the regions for travel sake, but why don't we get ride of the re-seeding for the state tournament after regionals, how much more epic would it be if the Regional Championships were winner-take all for a spot in the state Final Four? Obviously that means less games and less money, but I think that would make Regional Championships that much more important and an epic Final Four atmosphere between the four region champs. Stakes are high, and teams don't have to travel as far. Just a thought. Way less teams make it to "states" and that's how it should be.
Used to be that way, way back in the 1980’s, maybe early to mid 1990’s. Finals were held in C’ville. But there were only 3 divisions. Still could be that way with 6 divisions. Just takes some thoughts, planning, and logistics. Just food for thoughts.

Final 4. cave springs, Northside/ hopewell, lake Taylor anyone of these teams are capable of winning it all Final 2 hopewell/cave springs hopewell by 3.

Used to be that way, way back in the 1980’s, maybe early to mid 1990’s. Finals were held in C’ville. But there were only 3 divisions. Still could be that way with 6 divisions. Just takes some thoughts, planning, and logistics. Just food for thoughts.
I remember this set up very well!

Back in '78, Harrisonburg (Ralph Sampson) and RE LEE (Mike Madden) played a 5 game series - the 5th game was regional championship winner take all - H'burg went on to win the state title - LEE went home.

Reactions: TS69
No one is sleeping, That's last year and they lost. so lake Taylor and hopewell are better teams than Skyline 25-0 but they don't play the level of competition that hopewell and lake Taylor plays just look at there schedules and you see. Hopewell played John Marshall the number 1 team in the country from Richmond and went toe to toe with them lost by 18 but the competition is much different.

Reactions: BoKnowsSports
Skyline 25-0 that's great. every team they beaten have a losing record except 3 or 4 teams and they aren't great teams. so there competition is much weaker than in the Richmond metro area.

I’m guessing Spotwood/Northside will be at East Rockingham, and Cave Spring/Staunton will probably be at Roanoke College or Salem Civic Center.
According to DNR online:

Although Spotswood will be considered the host, the game will take place at 7 p.m. on Friday at East Rockingham High School. Coincidentally, the last time the Trailblazers played there in a state game, they lost to Cave Spring on a buzzer-beater in the VHSL Class 3 quarterfinals in 2019

And not really any new info on the site of the other game, according to roanoke.com:

The win gives Cave Spring a home playoff game next Friday or Saturday in the VHSL Class 3 state quarterfinals.

“To host, it’s huge man,” Cave Spring coach Jacob Gruse said. “We had to go on the road twice this week on a three-game week and I’m not asking for pity or sympathy, but you know, it makes a difference when you get home later on Thursday night and quick practice on Friday then [playing on] Saturday.”

Skyline 25-0 that's great. every team they beaten have a losing record except 3 or 4 teams and they aren't great teams. so there competition is much weaker than in the Richmond metro area.
Lake Taylor lost to a mediocre Heritage. Maxpreps takes strength of schedule into their rankings, and still ranks Skyline slightly ahead of Lake Taylor. Skyline played South Lakes and Western Albermarle last year. And they played Hopewell last year. It is not like they have not seen good teams before. I also don't see why Lake Taykor losing by 35 to John Marshall is something we should be celebrating. All that proves is they are better than Strasburg.

I also think you are sleeping on Spotswood.

Last year. we're talking about this year, but never the less let the game play out on the court.

And not really any new info on the site of the other game, according to roanoke.com:

The win gives Cave Spring a home playoff game next Friday or Saturday in the VHSL Class 3 state quarterfinals.

“To host, it’s huge man,” Cave Spring coach Jacob Gruse said. “We had to go on the road twice this week on a three-game week and I’m not asking for pity or sympathy, but you know, it makes a difference when you get home later on Thursday night and quick practice on Friday then [playing on] Saturday.”
Hidden Valley, according to the Cave Spring schedule on Riverridgedistrictva.org site

Spotswood is all sophomores, but very talented…Northside might be a good match up for them. I think SHS is a year away from serious state title contention.

Reactions: pizzzzza
Hidden Valley, according to the Cave Spring schedule on Riverridgedistrictva.org site
I don't think playing @ HV will affect this game any - Staunton is probably a year away this year - CS experienced and loaded, and most importantly, is battle tested after last week.

Lake Taylor lost to a mediocre Heritage. Maxpreps takes strength of schedule into their rankings, and still ranks Skyline slightly ahead of Lake Taylor. Skyline played South Lakes and Western Albermarle last year. And they played Hopewell last year. It is not like they have not seen good teams before. I also don't see why Lake Taykor losing by 35 to John Marshall is something we should be celebrating. All that proves is they are better than Strasburg.

I also think you are sleeping on Spotswood.
I think you're sleeping man talking about last year.

I think you're sleeping man talking about last year.
And you have called Cave Spring "Cave Springs" on at least two posts. So you don't even know the names of the schools. Your final 4 is the most likely outcome after the quarters. I just don't think it is as cut and dry as you do.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT