ADVERTISEMENT

BOYS QF: JM 120 Clarke County 57 - FINAL

As sportsjunkine asked, "So what happens when 3A coach, 4A coach or 6A coach says, hey we can’t recruit our players, this isn’t fair to us now…”

Just go play in the VISAA or wherever...What benefit does JM/RCS or any of the other VHSL member schools get from this situation?
you are wasting your breath
you need to say all of this to The VHSL Executive Committee

Do you not see your own hypocrisy? You accuse Graham of doing something but tell others to congratulate JM for doing the same thing?

Dude, JM competes on a national level with players from all over with some who don't even attend JM. You think Graham could compete with Mater Dei, St. John Bosco or IMG? What international company like Adidas is underwriting Graham? Are Team Loaded coaches running the Graham programs? How many Graham players attend Bluefield or Tazewell but play for Graham? Like I said apples to oranges...
What’s the saying, “Can’t see the forest for the trees?” So no, some people don’t see their own hypocrisy only their disdain for Graham. I don’t think anyone on here literally hates JM’s team or coach just frustrated for kids on the regular HS teams they play. Class 2A girls will feel the wrath of JM maybe not this championship but most likely next year. They’re building a “Super Team” too. Most everyone can agree on the points presented concerning JM by various posters and nothing will change until VHSL gets outside pressure to do something.

Last edited:
If you had a team? You talk so crazy(on a high horse) when your “team” recruits pieces to make the team better but because it’s a local recruit and not a national recruit you seem vindicated. You’re a joke lol. Sit these conversations out, Boomer!
I say what I want pu$$y!

Your heads would really explode if you knew one VHSL school can legally recruit from all of Richmond, Chesterfield and 11 other neighboring jurisdictions including more independent cities, just to get the brightest students around, and then compete them in VHSL Scholastic Bowl(Academic team) against normal schools.

Your heads would really explode if you knew one VHSL school can legally recruit from all of Richmond, Chesterfield and 11 other neighboring jurisdictions including more independent cities, just to get the brightest students around, and then compete them in VHSL Scholastic Bowl(Academic team) against normal schools.
"we ain't come to play SCHOOL"

Reactions: 7MileFord
What’s the saying, “Can’t see the forest for the trees?” So no, some people don’t see their own hypocrisy only their disdain for Graham. I don’t think anyone on here literally hates JM’s team or coach just frustrated for kids on the regular HS teams they play. Class 2A girls will feel the wrath of JM maybe not this championship but most likely next year. They’re building a “Super Team” too. Most everyone can agree on the points presented concerning JM by various posters and nothing will change until VHSL gets outside pressure to do something.
So now John Marshall girls is going to ruin 2A girls basketball like they have done with 2A boys. Pretty sad knowing that you don't have a chance at a state championship when you have a good team. One girls team i know this will affect is Clarke County, they have one heck of a JV team that went 23-0 this season and could probably beat a lot of 2A varsity teams.

Reactions: CLASS OF 80 EAGLE
So now John Marshall girls is going to ruin 2A girls basketball like they have done with 2A boys. Pretty sad knowing that you don't have a chance at a state championship when you have a good team. One girls team i know this will affect is Clarke County, they have one heck of a JV team that went 23-0 this season and could probably beat a lot of 2A varsity teams.
Not to mention that 7 of the 11 girls on the JV team were 8th graders. Clarke did beat a pretty good JM team last year. Looks like JM has 6 or so seniors on this years team so they must have already hit the recruiting trail or their going to take a "redshirt year" next season or they're trying to recruit some girls from Princess Anne HS.

A quick google search turned this info up (I am sure the numbers are not exact but should be close)....

Enrollment at JM (667), Richmond Community School (250) and Franklin Military (367) puts the student population that JM CAN select their team from at around 1284 enrollment. That should be the number classification is based on.
They actually already assign the enrollment of the specialty schools to the high schools with sports. Richmond has 3 specialty schools without sports: Community, Franklin Military, and Open. Students at those schools are "SUPPOSED" to play sports at the high school they are zoned for based on home address. So the enrollment of those 3 specialty schools are spread out to all 5 high schools in the city with sports.

This started back in 2018, when JM found out they were going down to Class 2 based on their enrollment. JM asked VHSL to correct their ADM numbers to include the specialty schools in hopes of staying up in Class 3. After the adjustment, John Marshall's numbers still put them in Class 2. It only impacted George Wythe who was forced up to Class 4 from Class 3.

https://go.boarddocs.com/vsba/vhsl/...mittee Appeals Minutes -- August 21, 2018.pdf

They actually already assign the enrollment of the specialty schools to the high schools with sports. Richmond has 3 specialty schools without sports: Community, Franklin Military, and Open. Students at those schools are "SUPPOSED" to play sports at the high school they are zoned for based on home address. So the enrollment of those 3 specialty schools are spread out to all 5 high schools in the city with sports.

This started back in 2018, when JM found out they were going down to Class 2 based on their enrollment. JM asked VHSL to correct their ADM numbers to include the specialty schools in hopes of staying up in Class 3. After the adjustment, John Marshall's numbers still put them in Class 2. It only impacted George Wythe who was forced up to Class 4 from Class 3.

https://go.boarddocs.com/vsba/vhsl/Board.nsf/files/B4PJEV499F21/$file/Alignment Committee Appeals Minutes -
I don’t see anywhere in that link or other minutes that I researched that indicate that the RCS enrollment numbers include the non traditional schools. This only talks about the ADM review that every school went through that year and appeals to either move up or down. I doubt you are correct with that assertion. If they would have added the other enrollments, JM would be at 1200+ and that most definitely is not 2A.

Last edited:

https://go.boarddocs.com/vsba/vhsl/Board.nsf/files/B4PJEV499F21/$file/Alignment Committee Appeals Minutes -- August 21, 2018.pdf
I'm glad someone did a little more sensible research. Hopefully a few more will read more about Richmond Community (https://rchs.rvaschools.net/about-us/about-rchs). It is a speciality school just like many others found around the Richmond area that you must apply to. Due to not having athletic teams, students play at their home school for sports. A legitimate question is how many JM players do attend Community, Franklin Military or Open. There are many other instances around the state of situations like this but it's only a problem because JM is winning. I understand how people are upset but to claim that they need to travel around the country to play games is ridiculous. Are there no STEM schools or speciality schools of such in other parts of VA, specifically the western portion?

Last edited:
VHSL releases ADM numbers for the Spring based on grade 9 to 11 enrollment. VDOE releases fall attendance data every year for Fall enrollment. If you look at the most recent ADM figures from VHSL (Spring 2022) and compare them to the VDOE data for grades 9-11 for the 2021-2022 school year you will see what is going on.

JM has the largest upward adjustment of ADM of any school in VHSL. The next 4 highest are also all Richmond schools. So the specialty school enrollment IS being added into each school's ADM for VHSL purposes. There are issues with JM being in Class 2, but it isn't from not counting the specialty school enrollment.

John Marshall: 424 --> 540 (+27%)

George Wythe 1,048 --> 1,170 (+12%)

Thomas Jefferson 683 --> 735 (+8%)

Huguenot 1,040 --> 1,108 (+7%)

Armstrong 611 --> 630 (+3%)

VHSL releases ADM numbers for the Spring based on grade 9 to 11 enrollment. VDOE releases fall attendance data every year for Fall enrollment. If you look at the most recent ADM figures from VHSL (Spring 2022) and compare them to the VDOE data for grades 9-11 for the 2021-2022 school year you will see what is going on.

JM has the largest upward adjustment of ADM of any school in VHSL. The next 4 highest are also all Richmond schools. So the specialty school enrollment IS being added into each school's ADM for VHSL purposes. There are issues with JM being in Class 2, but it isn't from not counting the specialty school enrollment.

John Marshall: 424 --> 540 (+27%)

George Wythe 1,048 --> 1,170 (+12%)

Thomas Jefferson 683 --> 735 (+8%)

Huguenot 1,040 --> 1,108 (+7%)

Armstrong 611 --> 630 (+3%)
There is nothing in your information, or on the VHSL site that I can find, that specifically states that the specialty schools enrollments in Richmond are added to JM. Even if the listed adjustments are accurate, they do not add up to the enrollment of the specialty schools feeding the other RCS schools.

Do you seriously think the specialty schools envisioned being used as a means to recruit athletes to the area to play for their AAU coach?

Last edited:
Reactions: Gridiron1960
I'm glad someone did a little more sensible research. Hopefully a few more will read more about Richmond Community (https://rchs.rvaschools.net/about-us/about-rchs). It is a speciality school just like many others found around the Richmond area that you must apply to. Due to not having athletic teams, students play at their home school for sports. A legitimate question is how many JM players do attend Community, Franklin Military or Open. There are many other instances around the state of situations like this but it's only a problem because JM is winning. I understand how people are upset but to claim that they need to travel around the country to play games is ridiculous. Are there no STEM schools or speciality schools of such in other parts of VA, specifically the western portion?
JM DOES travel around playing of their own volition. That JM is winning is not the issue. That the AAU team recruits players to the area, then they attend the specialty schools, then actually play for JM is the issue. JM administration and coaching staff are taking advantage of the system and the VHSL allows it. That is what is ridiculous. No where close to a level playing field. Pretending this situation is somehow normal or ethical is just asinine.

Why are there so many on here who sound so scared of JM? I’m not at all sure JM would beat Woodside (or LC Bird) this year. Not sure they would’ve beaten Woodside or PH last year. They lost to St Christopher’s earlier this year for crying out loud. So they beat the snot out of Radford two years in a row. Radford’s best player - Landen Clark - the same dude who had like 60 TDS in a 15-0 state championship season this year - didn’t play last year. Coach Cormany is legendary but a principal reason they had no chance to compete with JM last year was because he couldn’t convince Landen to play.

That being said, I will take JM by 40+ in the title game.

Why are there so many on here who sound so scared of JM? I’m not at all sure JM would beat Woodside (or LC Bird) this year. Not sure they would’ve beaten Woodside or PH last year. They lost to St Christopher’s earlier this year for crying out loud. So they beat the snot out of Radford two years in a row. Radford’s best player - Landen Clark - the same dude who had like 60 TDS in a 15-0 state championship season this year - didn’t play last year. Coach Cormany is legendary but a principal reason they had no chance to compete with JM last year was because he couldn’t convince Landen to play.

They had Landon two years ago and lost big. JM would have beaten Radford 30-0 team easily. I’m a Radford fan. Last year the No.1 team in 6A denied a request to play them.

Says the guy from 5-6A schools. You realize that 2A have less than 600 students to fill their rosters? JM (Team Loaded) recruits players in and that’s why they beat most of the 5-6A teams and private teams.

Super weird take...."why are they so scared?" with that said "I will take JM by 40+" in a championship game to boot.

Do you not see how illogical your point is?

The craziest part of all is that anyone is willing to argue that a team that is one of the best high school teams in the United States of America, by virtue of recruiting and playing a private schedule...should be playing 2A basketball in a state not even known for its basketball. Not just a little crazy.....this is insanity, mal feasance, or both. The " I'm gonna get my bag, at the expense of others" culture downright sucks.

They also do very well in swimming and xcountry if my memory is right
They dominate track and cross country. Very good in tennis, soccer and most of the other country club sports. For some reason I feel like I remember them having some pretty solid baseball teams over the last few years. Could be wrong on that one though.

Reactions: toughy299
Basketball is not football. The numbers in terms of enrollment don’t matter nearly as much.

Let me use my Radford analogy again. Two years ago Radford lost badly to JM in the state finals. Radford had 3 sophomore studs (Elijah Kelly, Gavin Cormany, Landen Clark) foremost among them Clark who scored 18 or so in the finals.

Those 3 never played all together again. Had they stayed together they would be in the state finals licking their chops to upset JM. That Radford team would’ve been by far the best team west of Richmond this season (maybe Albemarle could give them a run). If they added even one similarly skilled player - you know that happens these days at places not named JM - an upset would be very possible. JM-Radford Part III would be worth seeing.

I don’t think Virginia HS has a chance but the hypothetical Radford team would have beaten them by 30+ too. Instead Clark concentrated on football (which worked out for him), Gavin left to play on Oak Hill’s b team (head scratcher), and Elijah went to Miller School where I actually don’t know what happened to him.

Reactions: toughy299
I also have no idea why JM wants to beat up on 2A teams as they currently exist. I’m just saying that a 2A team could have existed this season to give them a challenge but everybody deuced out instead including the coach.

I also have no idea why JM wants to beat up on 2A teams as they currently exist. I’m just saying that a 2A team could have existed this season to give them a challenge but everybody deuced out instead including the coach.
But that kinda talent is rare for most 2A teams, almost unheard of really. JM does it every year, Radford does it one in maybe every 15 years?

It would be a 2A team having even a 25% chance every decade or so. That still doesn’t exactly feel right.

If you think that any 2A team that plays in this state with homegrown players can compete with a program that recruits YEARLY from all over, has a corporate sponsor and plays year round in the AAU circuit well, you are delusional.

If I was coaching VHS or Radford last year or Gate City or whoever, we would prepare as well as we could and play the game. But I can understand the notion to not play them. Why be the sacrificial lamb to a program abusing the system? Why play a team that presses when up 40+? So ESPN can do a blurb about a small HS team steamrolling the competition by 50-60 a game? But they never mention that they recruit their players. So the head coach can be touted as a great coach? Never mentioning that he hasn't built a team from the kids in his true geographical region; that his team is bought. I could coach that bunch to a title and I cannot coach.

You say that school enrollment doesn’t matter in basketball? BS, BS, BS!!! How many D1 players come from all of 2A each year as opposed to 6A? Not as many as JM has on their roster each year I’d bet.

Basketball is not football. The numbers in terms of enrollment don’t matter nearly as much.

Let me use my Radford analogy again. Two years ago Radford lost badly to JM in the state finals. Radford had 3 sophomore studs (Elijah Kelly, Gavin Cormany, Landen Clark) foremost among them Clark who scored 18 or so in the finals.

Those 3 never played all together again. Had they stayed together they would be in the state finals licking their chops to upset JM. That Radford team would’ve been by far the best team west of Richmond this season (maybe Albemarle could give them a run). If they added even one similarly skilled player - you know that happens these days at places not named JM - an upset would be very possible. JM-Radford Part III would be worth seeing.

I don’t think Virginia HS has a chance but the hypothetical Radford team would have beaten them by 30+ too. Instead Clark concentrated on football (which worked out for him), Gavin left to play on Oak Hill’s b team (head scratcher), and Elijah went to Miller School where I actually don’t know what happened to him.
I’m a Radford fan. No Radford wouldn’t have come close with Clark Kelly and Cormany and even a great player from say Northside. The 30-0 Radford team couldn’t beat JM. Until the VHSL gets off it’s arse and does someone, EVERY 2A state championship will be won John Marshall.

Just for information's sakes. Got this off a friend of mine in Wise County I thought it was very interesting.

https://phenomhoopreport.com/takeaways-from-tyler-lewis-hoop-fest-john-marshall-is-a-special-group/ Special group I'd say. Especially since 3 of them that we know of didn't even go to school there.... and two of them didn't even live in the state of Virginia. We can have a lot of special groups of teams around the state if we put together teams the way John Marshall or Team Loaded Public High School does.

https://www.maxpreps.com/va/prince-...&videoid=9793a36d-bfc1-4872-926b-2b05a1aa1ac6 Desmon Rose Prince George HS 6'6 Fr.

https://prephoopsnext.com/2021/11/top-100-latrell-almond-north-carolina/ - Latrell Allmond listed as small forward from The O'Neal School in Southern Pines, North Carolina playing for Team Loaded

Latrell Allmond

https://www.verbalcommits.com/players/jason-rivera-torres Jason Rivera Torres Iona Prep School Bronx, NY check out his Twitter ... not playing for Iona. Playing for John Marshall

https://richmond.com/sports/high-sc...cle_aa24016f-ca4b-5562-ad36-1f5052986c0f.html Richmond Times when previewing John Marshall even talking about Coach Ty White's AAU influence from Team Loaded on the John Marshall team. Hey Richmond Times. If the "area's best young talent" mean bringing in talent from North Carolina and the Bronx, New York that's a pretty big area.

https://www.maxpreps.com/news/Rw015V5PuEa58xjjtIvUPg/high-school-basketball-rankings-no-20-sierra-canyon%2c-no-24-roselle-catholic-and-no-25-myers-park-re-enter-maxpreps-top-25.htm Looking at the number one team in the nation... Latrell Allmond listed for John Marshall now. Interesting

if you ask Ty White how they get players from North Carolina, New York City, Baltimore, Georgia or wherever else you will probably hear crickets.
(You guys can make your own assumptions from this info.)
Judge for yourself.
https://opendorse.com/profile/jason-rivera-torres - Jason Rivera Torres
https://vucommodores.com/roster/jason-rivera-torres/ Jason Rivera Torres
https://gopack.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/dennis-parker, jr./12407 Dennis Parker Jr.
https://richmondfreepress.com/news/2023/jun/22/dennis-parker-jrs-ascension-nc-state-fueled-academ/ Dennis Parker Jr.
https://vcuathletics.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/roosevelt-wheeler/4819 Roosevelt Wheeler for VCU down at bottom of page "I wear number 4 because I come from the 404 and the 804" The 404 area code is Atlanta, Georgia.
https://richmondfreepress.com/news/2019/jan/18/sophomore-roosevelt-wheeler-john-marshall-highs-ta/ - Roosevelt Wheeler
https://richmondfreepress.com/news/2020/nov/19/jms-roosevelt-wheeler-chooses-louisville/ Roosevelt Wheeler
Some background is in order.
Wheeler grew up in Atlanta before moving to Hampton. He later moved with his mother, Deborah Davis, from Hampton to Richmond’s North Side prior to last school year. He went directly from Hampton’s Lindsey Middle School to John Marshall High’s state championship varsity a year ago.
Last summer, Wheeler was a dominant force on Team Loaded AAU that posted a 40-0 record while claiming a national title.
https://247sports.com/player/latrell-allmond-46134994/ - Latrell Almond originally from North Carolina
https://prephoops.com/2021/11/top-100-latrell-almond-north-carolina/ Latrell Almond Southern Pines, North Carolina / O'Neal Prep School / Team Loaded NC
https://vcuathletics.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/jason-nelson/4820 Jason Nelson for VCU
https://hamptonpirates.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/elijah-seward/4749 Elijah Seward Hampton
https://prephoops.com/2017/04/vhsl-freshman-state-teams/ Elijah Seward
https://prephoops.com/2018/12/prospect-spotlight-elijah-seward-2020/ Elijah Seward

Team Loaded Foundation

Jack Herron @jwherron10 Jan 25 2019 on Twitter - D1s need to forget about his height. I'm buying stock in 2021 Jason Nelson of Varina. Every time I see him he impresses me more and more. Shot the ball well, made good decisions. 6-1 ATO tonight. Smart, tough, skilled, HOOPER

Getting 4 and 5 star players from out of state. Different ball game.

But if you ask Ty White how they get players from North Carolina, New York City, Baltimore, Georgia or wherever else you will probably hear crickets.
(You guys can make your own assumptions from this info.)
Judge for yourself.
https://opendorse.com/profile/jason-rivera-torres - Jason Rivera Torres
https://vucommodores.com/roster/jason-rivera-torres/ Jason Rivera Torres
https://gopack.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/dennis-parker, jr./12407 Dennis Parker Jr.
https://richmondfreepress.com/news/2023/jun/22/dennis-parker-jrs-ascension-nc-state-fueled-academ/ Dennis Parker Jr.
https://vcuathletics.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/roosevelt-wheeler/4819 Roosevelt Wheeler for VCU down at bottom of page "I wear number 4 because I come from the 404 and the 804" The 404 area code is Atlanta, Georgia.
https://richmondfreepress.com/news/2019/jan/18/sophomore-roosevelt-wheeler-john-marshall-highs-ta/ - Roosevelt Wheeler
https://richmondfreepress.com/news/2020/nov/19/jms-roosevelt-wheeler-chooses-louisville/ Roosevelt Wheeler
Some background is in order.
Wheeler grew up in Atlanta before moving to Hampton. He later moved with his mother, Deborah Davis, from Hampton to Richmond’s North Side prior to last school year. He went directly from Hampton’s Lindsey Middle School to John Marshall High’s state championship varsity a year ago.
Last summer, Wheeler was a dominant force on Team Loaded AAU that posted a 40-0 record while claiming a national title.
https://247sports.com/player/latrell-allmond-46134994/ - Latrell Almond originally from North Carolina
https://prephoops.com/2021/11/top-100-latrell-almond-north-carolina/ Latrell Almond Southern Pines, North Carolina / O'Neal Prep School / Team Loaded NC
https://vcuathletics.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/jason-nelson/4820 Jason Nelson for VCU
https://hamptonpirates.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/elijah-seward/4749 Elijah Seward Hampton
https://prephoops.com/2017/04/vhsl-freshman-state-teams/ Elijah Seward
https://prephoops.com/2018/12/prospect-spotlight-elijah-seward-2020/ Elijah Seward

Team Loaded Foundation

Jack Herron @jwherron10 Jan 25 2019 on Twitter - D1s need to forget about his height. I'm buying stock in 2021 Jason Nelson of Varina. Every time I see him he impresses me more and more. Shot the ball well, made good decisions. 6-1 ATO tonight. Smart, tough, skilled, HOOPER

Expand

McClung's senior year with Dean and Ervin may have been the best shot to keep it close.
McClung could play with any of them and they had shooters. The fact that team probably would have lost to a JM team tells you all you need to know.

Radford's 30-0 team would have performed better than the last two teams Radford sent, by 15-20 points. Quinton was a legit player and could handle the ball. The game against Northside that year was a master class in getting beat up every time up and down the court, and still winning. I will mention Northside won 3a state that year. They also beat 5A Patrick Henry by 16 who made it two rounds in the playoffs. They beat Dudley, SC by 11.

Until we see a team the caliber of these teams, you will see 30, 40, 50 point blowouts in the championship.

Those kinds of teams in 2A are once in a lifetime teams. There is a team in Lyon County, Kentucky at Lyon County HS. Travis Perry just signed with Kentucky, Jack Reddick just signed with Florida Gulf Coast and another kid going to UT Martin. Perry is the all time leading scorer in the state of Kentucky. All three are homegrown kids. Another rarity. And you know what? As good as this team is and as good as people are saying their chances are of possibly winning the Sweet Sixteen in Rupp Arena... I don't believe that even they could beat John Marshall.
That's what we are dealing with.

As frustrating as it is for all of 2A, it is just as frustrating for the rest of the Richmond city schools. There was a time not that long ago when Richmond city schools had strong crosstown basketball rivalries. The players were homegrown and the quality of basketball was highly competitive and exciting. As recently as 2018, 3 out of 5 city schools made the semifinals of the state tournament.

But now, every other city school outside of JM had losing seasons this year. Most don't bother to play JM anymore. And if they do they lose by 60+. Any high end basketball talent in the city ends up at JM or in the private schools. Public high school basketball in the city of Richmond is in a pretty sad state these days.

Reactions: pizzzzza
As frustrating as it is for all of 2A, it is just as frustrating for the rest of the Richmond city schools. There was a time not that long ago when Richmond city schools had strong crosstown basketball rivalries. The players were homegrown and the quality of basketball was highly competitive and exciting. As recently as 2018, 3 out of 5 city schools made the semifinals of the state tournament.

But now, every other city school outside of JM had losing seasons this year. Most don't bother to play JM anymore. And if they do they lose by 60+. Any high end basketball talent in the city ends up at JM or in the private schools. Public high school basketball in the city of Richmond is in a pretty sad state these days.
Thanks for this. I think we lose insight on things outside of 2A and how it changes the landscape on a larger scale.

Then the voters of Richmond need to elect a new school board who will revert back to following boundaries and attendance requirements. JM is running a private school program under the guise of a public school.

Then the voters of Richmond need to elect a new school board who will revert back to following boundaries and attendance requirements. JM is running a private school program under the guise of a public school.
Liberty Christian of Lynchburg does the same thing a private school playing against public schools. And there student athletes come from all over. Truly no one is complaining about them. They just won the C3 football championship last year. VHSL allows them to play against Public Schools. And they are private. So I think this is a stop beating the dead horse issue.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT