ADVERTISEMENT

Boys Region 2D QF: Union 54 Grayson County 45 - FINAL

pizzzzza

VaPreps Hall of Famer
Nov 9, 2001
After a low scoring 1st.. Union leads Grayson Co 9-8. Early turnovers hurting the Bears.

Bears take a timeout with 2:10 in the 2nd..

Bears lead 15-14

Bears hit key FT late to ice it.

Final Bears 54 Grayson Co 45

Not many people expected Union to go on the road and win, great win. Not that it matters as that means Union plays GC next, but at least Bears won a region game.

Not many people expected Union to go on the road and win, great win. Not that it matters as that means Union plays GC next, but at least Bears won a region game.

I wonder how much more interesting this game 'could've/would've' been had Union not lost one of their star players in the early season.

I wonder how much more interesting this game 'could've/would've' been had Union not lost one of their star players in the early season.

Slagle would def make the game more interesting. Union still lacks the guard play to stop GC, but a healthy Slagle would allow Union to spread the floor better on offense and not have to play every game as a defensive slugfest. With how well the rest of the team has came together, a healthy Slagle could maybe help Union give Graham a run for second best in Region D. He was about a 20ppg scorer with good size and a smooth stroke, hopefully he bounces back to 100% for next season, he was Junior this year.

Reactions: pizzzzza
Funny the refs were the biggest deciding factor in this game! As for the D1 Mitchell decent and I do mean decent basketball player. Hope he's better in cleats but for a D1 recruit not too impressed.

Funny the refs were the biggest deciding factor in this game! As for the D1 Mitchell decent and I do mean decent basketball player. Hope he's better in cleats but for a D1 recruit not too impressed.

Ha salty much? You mad your favored home team, the 2-seed, lost to a mediocre Union team by nine at home? I guess the refs favored the away team, that happens all the time :/ . Union isn't even a very good FT shooting team, so Grayson must REALLY suck.
And since Mitchell is just a decent player (no one said he's elite or anything, but he's likely an All-Region D player), what does that say bout Grayson that they lost to a team who's best player is just decent? If Grayson was truly so much better, wouldn't the officiating be almost irrelevant? Lolololol

And the D1 comment, guess you're a better talent evaluater than Dabo Swinney, Kirby Smart, Justin Fuente, Mark Richt, etc...

Wait for the forty point deficit when gate City destroys them again.

And you know what's REALLY hilarious, besides your tears? The fact Unions best player went down in the second game. If you lost by nine at home to this team, it'd have been a slaughter if circumstances were different.

Also Union lost by 15 in their home game, how many games would it take Grayson to be within 15? Ten? Twenty?

And you know what's REALLY hilarious, besides your tears? The fact Unions best player went down in the second game. If you lost by nine at home to this team, it'd have been a slaughter if circumstances were different.

Also Union lost by 15 in their home game, how many games would it take Grayson to be within 15? Ten? Twenty?
Ha salty much? You mad your favored home team, the 2-seed, lost to a mediocre Union team by nine at home? I guess the refs favored the away team, that happens all the time :/ . Union isn't even a very good FT shooting team, so Grayson must REALLY suck.
And since Mitchell is just a decent player (no one said he's elite or anything, but he's likely an All-Region D player), what does that say bout Grayson that they lost to a team who's best player is just decent? If Grayson was truly so much better, wouldn't the officiating be almost irrelevant? Lolololol

And the D1 comment, guess you're a better talent evaluater than Dabo Swinney, Kirby Smart, Justin Fuente, Mark Richt, etc...
Mitchell was far and away the best athlete on the floor......played with poise and defensively is outstanding...they ran offense thru him much of the game. I was very impressed with his game particulary all the little things he did to help his TEAM win. Very unselfish. I was impressed.
As for the Refs,like every game there were questionable calls that affected both teams....it had no bearing on outcome.

Reactions: BigWinners and eh31

It sucks when the shoe is on the other foot doesn't it.

Karma! Happiest result I've seen from a boys basketball game all season.

Mitchell was far and away the best athlete on the floor......played with poise and defensively is outstanding...they ran offense thru him much of the game. I was very impressed with his game particulary all the little things he did to help his TEAM win. Very unselfish. I was impressed.
As for the Refs,like every game there were questionable calls that affected both teams....it had no bearing on outcome.

That's been his M.O. all season really. He's gifted athletically but isn't a good shooter so he does a lot of other things to help the team get easy looks. His length and athleticism makes him a lockdown defender when he isn't in foul trouble, and while his size has him as a post player, he's at his best initiating the offense and playing as a point-forward.

It sucks when the shoe is on the other foot doesn't it.

Karma! Happiest result I've seen from a boys basketball game all season.

I'm sure you were as excited for a Union win as you've ever been lol, I know there's some bad blood from the playoff meeting in football between you guys and Grayson. Just sucks Union fell apart late in season and doesn't get another crack at Graham instead of GC. Union could hold Graham to a low scoring game and maybe something crazy happens, but against GC, Union really can't stop the guards.

Sorry but #10 was unions best player and as for the best athelete on the floor not even close. Alot could be said about him and the difference between D1 and supposed D2 recruits so I have a more justified opinion on that. Like myself and a parent from another rivalry school were talking hope he looks more athletic in cleats. sorry we didn't face them.in the playoffs in football but would like to have seen them actually play because guarantee that with the right play calling you didn't have a good enough db for Graysons best receiver. But I won't have to I don't have to worry about it because he is moving on also.

Sorry but #10 was unions best player and as for the best athelete on the floor not even close. Alot could be said about him and the difference between D1 and supposed D2 recruits so I have a more justified opinion on that. Like myself and a parent from another rivalry school were talking hope he looks more athletic in cleats. sorry we didn't face them.in the playoffs in football but would like to have seen them actually play because guarantee that with the right play calling you didn't have a good enough db for Graysons best receiver. But I won't have to I don't have to worry about it because he is moving on also.

I can promise you Union did, as Mitchell played S. Union had two All-State players in the secondary. Grayson would've lost by 30 to Union in football. Graham beat the hell out of Grayson, only to lose 37-0 to Union, when the Bears shut down a D1 recruit, a LEGIT D1 recruit, at WR. LOL at thinking losing by 20 to Graham and thinking that team could've played w Union. And Mitchell was the leading scorer, he's Unions best player. All this bitterness is hilarious, so salty your asses got sent home early. Pretty pathetic if you ask me.

And pray tell, if Mitchell wasn't the best athlete on the floor (and he clearly was, not even close), who was?

I can promise you Union did, as Mitchell played S. Union had two All-State players in the secondary. Grayson would've lost by 30 to Union in football. Graham beat the hell out of Grayson, only to lose 37-0 to Union, when the Bears shut down a D1 recruit, a LEGIT D1 recruit, at WR. LOL at thinking losing by 20 to Graham and thinking that team could've played w Union. And Mitchell was the leading scorer, he's Unions best player. All this bitterness is hilarious, so salty your asses got sent home early. Pretty pathetic if you ask me.

And pray tell, if Mitchell wasn't the best athlete on the floor (and he clearly was, not even close), who was?
Don’t have a dog in this fight, but i assume he thinks his son who is going to play division 2 football is a better athlete than Mitchell, which is pretty hilarious.

Reactions: BigWinners
Salty no but everyone knows what Grayson's county has for coaching so I'll just leave it at that..... And as for Graham well just watch the film it should speak for itself. Two complete passes in the whole game for two good receivers and at least one who is pending verification in the VHSL record book for career receiving yards. I could go on but not worth the time. Wish him the best but since I have seen numerous D1 recruits that were truly impressive just an opinion that's all. Wish him the best.

Don’t have a dog in this fight, but i assume he thinks his son who is going to play division 2 football is a better athlete than Mitchell, which is pretty hilarious.
Could start a huge stink with this one but since he's a great student also I won't have much out of pocket to pay for his education. He will be successful because of it so I guess we will see.

Salty no but everyone knows what Grayson's county has for coaching so I'll just leave it at that..... And as for Graham well just watch the film it should speak for itself. Two complete passes in the whole game for two good receivers and at least one who is pending verification in the VHSL record book for career receiving yards. I could go on but not worth the time. Wish him the best but since I have seen numerous D1 recruits that were truly impressive just an opinion that's all. Wish him the best.

That makes absolutely no sense. Are you saying a Grayson WR is the VHSL all time receiving leader? I've not heard that and find it incredibly hard to believe.

You didn't even see Mitchell play football, the actual sport he's going to a Power Five D1 school to play after being recruited by two playoff teams and numerous other big time D1 schools, and yet you think your opinion is worth anything? Hint, it's not. And I can also promise you Grayson would've got ran off the field if they had played Union, Union was very good and Grayson lost by three TDs to a team Union beat 37-0.

And yes you're salty, you're mad that a team favored to win got beat. Mitchell was clearly the best athlete on the floor, anyone could see that. Trying to denigrate the kid makes you look really shitty, simple as that.
I have nothing against Grayson, but if you're a representative of the fanbase, I'll pass.

I asked you a question; if Mitchell wasnt the best athlete on the floor, who was?

Please read one who will be in the VHSL record book for career receiving yards. He should be fourth to be exact. And as for my opinion it doesn't matter but it is mine. Not degrading him at all but with all the hype surrounding him just expected a stellar athlete but didn't see it. As for the Grayson kid he actually put one back in Mitchell's face and guess what he didn't get a foul called like mitchell did on him so.... And yes Union probably would have beaten grayson how bad don't know. We can never get past second round and never will unless they make some big changes. Just keep.your eye on the record book for career top ten receiving yards. Papers are already in just waiting on VHSL to verify.

Please read one who will be in the VHSL record book for career receiving yards. He should be fourth to be exact. And as for my opinion it doesn't matter but it is mine. Not degrading him at all but with all the hype surrounding him just expected a stellar athlete but didn't see it. As for the Grayson kid he actually put one back in Mitchell's face and guess what he didn't get a foul called like mitchell did on him so.... And yes Union probably would have beaten grayson how bad don't know. We can never get past second round and never will unless they make some big changes. Just keep.your eye on the record book for career top ten receiving yards. Papers are already in just waiting on VHSL to verify.

Okay? So one block means you're a better athlete? Mitchell blocked McClung, so that obviously means Mitchell is better than he is.
It obviously didn't do much good as Mitchell was one of the leading scorers with 17 and his team won and everyone who watched the game agreed Mitchell was clearly best athlete on the floor, only someone looking thru rose colored glasses is disagreeing.
Mitchell is a stellar athlete, anyone with a brain sees that. He's not an elite basketball player, that's not the sport he is pursuing at the next level. But he's a very good one and was better than anyone else on the floor the other night. I dunno why you're still arguing this, it's clear no one else agrees with you.

Not arguing but stating my opinion which was the opinion of alot of people that watched the game. We will see. Enjoy the slaughter tomorrow night. Oh and as for McClung he played football too. His sophomore year he was all state underclassmen wide receiver. Funny how he got that too with only 500 or so yards and a couple TDS. The Grayson boy had over 1200 on the season and 12 tds. Just a little love for the ones from the schools who don't get all the attention. Wish them all best for their futures I'll keep the game update on Union gate City.....

Not arguing but stating my opinion which was the opinion of alot of people that watched the game. We will see. Enjoy the slaughter tomorrow night. Oh and as for McClung he played football too. His sophomore year he was all state underclassmen wide receiver. Funny how he got that too with only 500 or so yards and a couple TDS. The Grayson boy had over 1200 on the season and 12 tds. Just a little love for the ones from the schools who don't get all the attention. Wish them all best for their futures I'll keep the game update on Union gate City.....
I don't want you to think I was slighting your boy in my above my post. It's just my opinion, as well as top college coaches and scouts that Mitchell is a better athlete on the football field. I enjoy watching area SWVA players go on to the next level and succeed and your son is not an exception. He has been a pleasure to watch the last few years. I saw that when he signed w/ Wise that they listed him at WR/TE. Do you think they plan on bulking him up and making him primarily a TE? I've thought when I've watched him that he has a great frame and athleticism for his size, but he could be truly special at the next level if he got his weight up and played TE. Which he should have no problem doing under a college weight lifting program.

He will be what they are calling a "H" or hybrid. With what they offered him it seems like they wanted him pretty bad too. What some people don't know is he had alot of interest from D1 schools also. Not regular but all the ivy league schools were interested. Especially Harvard. He has a excellent gpa and done well on his sat buy but they want top in class and super high sat just to get in. They want him to gain 30+ and try to match him up on a linebacker and in the slot.. He runs about 4.65 or so he isn't slow. And his size he's a beast to get down watch his hype video Wise put together it took 8 Glenvar players to get him down on a slant. Not dismissing Mitchell either but like I said with all the hype I was expecting alot more athleticism out of him. I know alot of people on here think I play him up to be more than he is but throughout his life I DONT baby him or lie to him or talk him up l. I have been upfront and honest with him about his abilities. We have been to camp after camp and played in elite camp bowl games all over the country. He was selected for a senior bowl in hawaii in July but I cannot come up with the money to send him. He will be special in college. He's in good company at wise with Buster Henderson and jamora cousin. Both of whom we're great high school athletes. But his work ethic and intelligence will be why he succeeds.

And yes you're salty, you're mad that a team favored to win got beat. Mitchell was clearly the best athlete on the floor, anyone could see that. Trying to denigrate the kid makes you look really shitty, simple as that.
I have nothing against Grayson, but if you're a representative of the fanbase, I'll pass.

By no means does he represent the entire fanbase and I hope you don't base your views of Grayson Co. by his statements alone. He's a parent who clearly has a personal agenda which is fine, every school has them. Congratulations to Union for moving on, I'm sure it will be an exciting game.

Reactions: BigWinners
By no means does he represent the entire fanbase and I hope you don't base your views of Grayson Co. by his statements alone. He's a parent who clearly has a personal agenda which is fine, every school has them. Congratulations to Union for moving on, I'm sure it will be an exciting game.
Prob won't be an exciting game, well on our end lol. If it's exciting, that means GCs wide open running up and down the floor and Union loses by 30. But if it's not an exciting game, an ugly, defensive game, maybe Union can hang around and keep it respectable.

Thank you tho, I appreciate a GC (Grayson, not Gate City lol) fan showing good sportsmanship.

And Grayson wouldn't get slaughtered as bad or worse than Union? If Union can't hang within 30 points of GC and still beat Grayson, Grayson can't hang w GC either. You weren't impressed because you obviously have a strong rooting interest and did not wanna be impressed. Mitchell is 6'4, runs in the 4.75 range, is extremely physical with incredible ball skills. No one ever said he's an elite basketball player, his shot has never been really reliable but his athletic talents are undeniable. Just remember, you started this mess by shooting off at the mouth about him.
FWIW, Mitchell is also an excellent student whos never been in trouble really and carries himself as gracefully and humbly as you could possibly want out of a star HS athlete.

Listen, I get it. You're upset your son's season ended earlier than expected. You wanna compare him to Mitchell because both excelled at football and in your mind, your son is better. That's fine, he's your son. But you shouldnt try and tear another outstanding kid down to build another up, that does you and your kid a disservice.

Well GC old-timer your username tells me all I need to know.
I'm no different than any other dad.in Grayson county. But I'm not called coach nor do I have a uncle or other family member who does!

Well GC old-timer your username tells me all I need to know.

JPhil was doing what he always does on here.....seek attention for his kid...look at all his post thru the years....pitiful. His kid is a good player who should do fine at next level...not sure why that's not enough for Dad As I said in my previous post Mitchell was a class by himself verse Grayson

JPhil was doing what he always does on here.....seek attention for his kid...look at all his post thru the years....pitiful. His kid is a good player who should do fine at next level...not sure why that's not enough for Dad As I said in my previous post Mitchell was a class by himself verse Grayson
So let me explain something to you... Yes I do get defensive. I have had people in Grayson county tell me my kids didn't deserve to be on the same field as theirs. I have been told I don't have an opinion because my last name wasn't big enough. My kids have been told that they wouldn't accomplish anything because of who their parents are. The one we are talking about was told by a coach that since he was a big boy during rec. ball and had to be a lineman that he would always be one. So all the "big last names" in Grayson whose kids were the rec ball stars and coached by daddy and even in high school still being coached by daddy!!! Yeah I guess I'm the social class warrior for all those kids who were better than the coaches sons and better than Johnny big wigs grandson but never got the chance because of their last name yeah call me what you will but things will never change. I'm not liked because I Buck the status quo and tell people the truth and they hate that!!!! So say what you will l help the "little guy" more than any one in the Grayson heirarchy knows. Yeah when you are physically threatened by one of the coaches and cursed like nothing I've ever heard before. You go to the school board superintendent and all he does is sweep it under the rug. And all because I'm not afraid to tell the truth!!! We have put up with it for the last five years so if you really want to know just ask because it hasn't been fun having to put up with this crap. And now it doesn't matter we got one more season to go and as for Grayson after this year the only time I'll go back is homecoming. That is it.

Last edited:
Reactions: The G-Man
Then why attempt to trash Mitchell? That's the part I don't understand.
Wasn't a bash just stated that with all the hype on him I didn't think he was that impressive. Glad he's a good kid and I hope college don't ruin him. I think the same way about mine. But just as a comparison I personally don't see the supposed HUGE difference in him being D1 and the other being D2. But like always no one like it when you state an obvious opinion because I wasn't the only one who said this.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT