ADVERTISEMENT

Brookville

LCA didn't beat Brookville because of their transfers they beat them up and down the field all night because they were better prepared for that game. You could tell LCA just flat out wanted it more. Great season for the Bees though in winning the Seminole.
Yea Brookville didn't play bad at all. LCA just played that well that night. No one would have beat them that night. It's too bad for LCA that it wasn't the state championship game because they would have definitely won it that night. It's gonna be hard to replicate that same energy two weeks in a row.

While I’m not an LCA fan for reasons listed above I will say (according to my son) there was lots of “talk” after the first game when the Bees won.
Im sure that provided good motivation to prepare for this past weeks game.
Actually i just read about that on i think channel 10 sports. However the article lead me to believe it came from both sides.

Actually i just read about that on i think channel 10 sports. However the article lead me to believe it came from both sides.
OH! I'm sure!!!!!
Just easier to motivate yourself to prepare when you were on the losing end of it last time.

You got "those fans" or "those kids" in all programs. So to be fair to both schools I guess they can't be lumped together.
I'm sure I've probably made someone's "list" along the line. LOL!!

Reactions: oldfool2
#6 is the kid from Glass. He hasn't played a down this year.
A lot of transfers whether college or high school think the grass is greener on the other side of the fence instead of watering the grass where they are at. Sometimes it is greener but a lot of times..it is not.

Glass, Blacksburg, Spotsylvania, Rockingham County, Whitehaven High School(Memphis TN) to name a couple.

Just curious, who is from Rockingham? I see a baseball recruit that plays football from Rockbridge, but I certainly don't recognize any names from Rockingham (Valley District) from the news from here Just south in Augusta.

Not saying you are wrong, just curious

While I’m not an LCA fan for reasons listed above I will say (according to my son) there was lots of “talk” after the first game when the Bees won.
Im sure that provided good motivation to prepare for this past weeks game.
And LCA did a lot of talk as well when they beat some Seminole teams, They act the same way trust me

Reactions: Bo Bob
And LCA did a lot of talk as well when they beat some Seminole teams, They act the same way trust me
Like I said. I have no doubt.

I know after we scrimmaged (benefit game) last year and lost by one TD that Coach Smith even sent a thing out to our players to "rise above" the comments that were coming on social media from them.

Reactions: vector09 and wikki
Now that JR is gone maybe their attitude will not mimic JR as much.

Hmmm this is intresting.
Propst is the worst of the worst..just plain bad man. No clue why people keep hiring him, he may not find another job after this.

Reactions: CVAfootballfan
Spot on. When you have the #5 recruit in the nation, every school in the country is going to be at LCA. Want to get recruited to a really good school? Go where the big schools are going.
Is that what you're telling these kids to get them to come to LCA? Sounds like you have it down pretty good!

• Haha
Reactions: lyhsports
Is that what you're telling these kids to get them to come to LCA? Sounds like you have it down pretty good!
@lyhsports is an EC Glass supporter and also follows Heritage closely. As his name would indicate he's a Lynchburg supporter. If he suspected wrongdoing I believe he would be crying foul as Glass & Heritage would be most affected by their actions.

Reactions: lyhsports
@lyhsports is an EC Glass supporter and also follows Heritage closely. As his name would indicate he's a Lynchburg supporter. If he suspected wrongdoing I believe he would be crying foul as Glass & Heritage would be most affected by their actions.
If I barked up the wrong tree, I apologize. After reading his comments in this thread, it just seemed as though lyhsports was in support of LCA and their recent success. Somebody is out there selling the pipe dream to these young men and their families. This travel ball/transfer portal world in which we live is altering our athletes in so many ways, and it's frustrating to see those that are responsible have success. Hoping Heritage wins and wins big!

If I barked up the wrong tree, I apologize. After reading his comments in this thread, it just seemed as though lyhsports was in support of LCA and their recent success. Somebody is out there selling the pipe dream to these young men and their families. This travel ball/transfer portal world in which we live is altering our athletes in so many ways, and it's frustrating to see those that are responsible have success. Hoping Heritage wins and wins big!

what is the pipe dream being sold in this culture? If you a fisherman you don’t go a creek to catch the big fish you go to where there’s a feeding frenzy. The next assertion is think about the camps/combines/etc kids go to (yes it’s popularity in ways) a lot of kids Get noticed because some of the other big names that are there, you perform well amongst those who “elite” you get a name for yourself. Playing for a winning program is always going to motivate a family, no parent wants to cheer for a perennial loser and no player wants to lose game after game after game for years. Aside from these things the only transfers that really get attention on message boards and local gossip are the ones who had “potential” and left school x for school y.

preseason I remember a lot of flak about the Bees and their transfers, now it’s centered back around LCA bc they beat a local power in the playoffs when they weren’t favored and they have those transfers, Lord Botetort has had an influx of transfers, but regardless it doesn’t really matter they play the game the same way and you will have to out work and execute your opponents for the duration of the game.

what is the pipe dream being sold in this culture? If you a fisherman you don’t go a creek to catch the big fish you go to where there’s a feeding frenzy. The next assertion is think about the camps/combines/etc kids go to (yes it’s popularity in ways) a lot of kids Get noticed because some of the other big names that are there, you perform well amongst those who “elite” you get a name for yourself. Playing for a winning program is always going to motivate a family, no parent wants to cheer for a perennial loser and no player wants to lose game after game after game for years. Aside from these things the only transfers that really get attention on message boards and local gossip are the ones who had “potential” and left school x for school y.

preseason I remember a lot of flak about the Bees and their transfers, now it’s centered back around LCA bc they beat a local power in the playoffs when they weren’t favored and they have those transfers, Lord Botetort has had an influx of transfers, but regardless it doesn’t really matter they play the game the same way and you will have to out work and execute your opponents for the duration of the game.
In many cases, these are winning teams that quality players are transferring from. Heritage, Northside, Amherst, Jefferson Forest and EC Glass to name a few. And, yes I agree 100%, outwork and out-execute your opponents, but do it with the group you grew up with. The culture glorifies leaving to join a championship team instead of building and growing the team you have. The current NCAA open transfer policy will destroy programs for years to come and high school athletes are following suit. When players don't get their way, pick up your ball and go somewhere else. They are taking the path of least resistance in many cases and what lessons are they learning from it? It's easier to transfer over here and play with these D1 studs and maybe I can get recruited too. The pipe dream I'm referring to is that many of these kids think they are potential D1 players too, when they probably won't even see the field and should have stayed where they were. That cripples the teams they left, and as a result helps the team they transferred to.

And, these guys aren't getting recruited because they are on a winning team. Zac Rice isn't a top recruit because he's at LCA. And Lane isn't getting offers because he's playing at LCA. If I'm not mistaken, he got offers before he even played a down at LCA. They are recruited heavily because of their performance at a camp and a highlight tape. If you are a player, they will find you, even if you're on a winless team.

Not that I am taking up for LCA, Don't live in the area and doesn't effect my team, so have no "side" in this.

But I do have a question, I thought that at the time they joined the VHSL that the rules were that they could "pick" from so many schools in Lynchburg area (I don't remember the number). They were in 4a. They moved down to 3a because they shrank the pool from which they could draw from. I know this doesn't concern students from outside areas, and maybe I misunderstood all together. But from the top of my head I was thinking those schools that are currently "in play" for them were at least Heritage and Brookville?

Not that I am taking up for LCA, Don't live in the area and doesn't effect my team, so have no "side" in this.

But I do have a question, I thought that at the time they joined the VHSL that the rules were that they could "pick" from so many schools in Lynchburg area (I don't remember the number). They were in 4a. They moved down to 3a because they shrank the pool from which they could draw from. I know this doesn't concern students from outside areas, and maybe I misunderstood all together. But from the top of my head I was thinking those schools that are currently "in play" for them were at least Heritage and Brookville?
You are correct. When they were 4-A, their zone was all of Lynchburg, and when they dropped to 3A, it was only the Heritage zone. Brookville is a Campbell county school, but only a few miles from Heritage.

In many cases, these are winning teams that quality players are transferring from. Heritage, Northside, Amherst, Jefferson Forest and EC Glass to name a few. And, yes I agree 100%, outwork and out-execute your opponents, but do it with the group you grew up with. The culture glorifies leaving to join a championship team instead of building and growing the team you have. The current NCAA open transfer policy will destroy programs for years to come and high school athletes are following suit. When players don't get their way, pick up your ball and go somewhere else. They are taking the path of least resistance in many cases and what lessons are they learning from it? It's easier to transfer over here and play with these D1 studs The pipe dream I'm referring to is that many of these kids think they are potential D1 players too, when they probably won't even see the field and should have stayed where they were. That cripples the teams they left, and as a result helps the team they transferred to.

And, these guys aren't getting recruited because they are on a winning team. Zac Rice isn't a top recruit because he's at LCA. And Lane isn't getting offers because he's playing at LCA. If I'm not mistaken, he got offers before he even played a down at LCA. They are recruited heavily because of their performance at a camp and a highlight tape. If you are a player, they will find you, even if you're on a winless team.
A player that leaves a winning team either wants to get more playing time, the ball more, or has some issue with the program/coach. Many winning programs don’t lose their best players rather supplemental pieces that go see if they are who they think they are, in some cases these individuals do pan out and in others they become the same as what they were or a pine rider. The kids I grow up with might not be able to make me better so I should hinder my growth instead of blossoming? There’s multiple angles to examine when discussing why a kid leaves a winning program versus a kid leaving a losing one, we can go in detail but I’ll spare the time and assume we agree on this. It’s not just taking a path of least resistance sometimes it’s doing what makes common sense, when you don’t like your current job you go explore options to get a new one, sometimes it requires relocating completely others just a different place in same area. I feel kids aren’t making the decision the parents ultimately do in regards to they have to sign off on it. I don’t think it’s a trend I think it’s a reality of giving autonomy over ones decision, I recruited you here until there’s a new shinier better recruit here and you slide down, or my coach left and now I’m subject to the new staff etc, this just balances the pendulum back into the players hands over their athletic career

pipedream: all kids think they are d1 until they get around true d1 prospects and talent but there’s misses in that philosophy too (walk-on/low stars). The reality is that if I’m on a roster where coaches are constantly evaluating player x’s tape...player y will stand out if player y is making plays and standing out versus just fitting in. The team they left needs to embrace the next kid coming up through the pipeline either way the kid was going to be replaced after graduation/injury/leaving so accelerate a timeline for that next man up. You fish in the ocean there’s a lot of fish you’re bound to catch something more frequent than you will in an isolated pond.

player: coaches prefer players on winning teams than losing ones, easier to instill culture and accept the work of what it takes to be great/win, yes a player will get some publicity as a small town star on a winless program, but he/she will have to hit camps and be immaculate on film to get over the hump, they will have to show they can still do the same things against top tier talent, but winning culture is something coaches look at

I’m not an LCA fan or supporter but Coach Rocco and the LCA program has long produced players that have had success at the college and pro level. @lyhsports was spot on in his reason why kids transfer there. It’s an easy Choi for parents too because LCA has a very rigorous academic program as well. It’s no pipe dream with them.

A lot of transfers whether college or high school think the grass is greener on the other side of the fence instead of watering the grass where they are at. Sometimes it is greener but a lot of times..it is not.
I can’t speak for other transfers but #6 transferred for academic reasons. He’s only a sophomore and he played sparingly on Jv at Glass as a freshman. He didn’t expect to be a starter and earn an athletic scholarship immediately or something crazy. In his case, the grass was greener from an academic standpoint.

Reactions: catchtds
Old thread, but happened to chat with an old friend this weekend who has spent time on SEC and ACC teams as assistant recruiting coordinator. I asked specifically about the whole idea that kids will transfer to a school for increased exposure if there's already a standout being recruited at the school, and if he thought there was merit to that. His take, acknowledging that no one situation is identical, is that not only will that not help the chances of being recruited, in some cases it could hurt their chances. The one exception he mentioned was that if a player is currently playing in the middle of nowhere(geographically), and there are no other recruits in the general area(because budgets are real and it's hard to justify going to the middle of nowhere to recruit just one kid, unless of course they're a phenom). As for how it could hurt, he said coaches do exhaustive research on the athletes they recruit, and with the rapid evolution of transferring in college, coaches want to know how likely it might be for a player to jump ship, going so far as to say that if they were looking at two identical players, and one had played at the same high school all four years and the other was on his third high school, they'd offer the former every time(exception being if the player who has transferred had actual hardships that were the impetus for the transfer). Again, this is just one take from one assistant recruiting coordinator, but I think it's worth being a part of the conversation.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT