ADVERTISEMENT

C-35 and 36 Region 2A East matchups....Boys

leemen

VaPreps All District
Feb 12, 2004
This is how I have it so....lets break it down. Also who are the potential round two matchups for the winners? Each team here needs just two wins for a State Tourney bid...as I understand it. The state tourney has gone back to 8 team fields for each Division.

4. Stuarts Draft Vs 1. George Mason
3. East Rockingham Vs. 2. Madison County

4. Clarke County Vs. 1. Page County
3. Central(Woodstock) Vs 2. R.E. Lee

I think the two # 1 seeds will advance..the other matchups are very close in ability with each other and I would have to say 'George Mason has to be the favorite to win this regional...the only teams I don't see much chance to advance are Stuarts Draft and Clarke

Having seen Stuarts Draft play its crazy style about 15 times now in the last few years, and having been to GM's (ahem) "spacious" gym only once, I cannot even imagine what will happen in that one.

I have never really understood Draft's style of play last few yrs...IMHO, they sub way to much...players aren't given a chance to get in the flow/rhythm of the game when u sub every dead ball, yes, they are fun to watch, but, when was last time they made a deep post season run? this time of yr is when u face the tough teams...I really don't see them beating Mason

Reactions: pawfan
Can anyone break down Central? Style of play size? I know they've had to play some pretty tough teams...so they are battle tested.

On Draft...they are dangerous if the threes are falling. With that being said...Mason is going to be tough to beat.

My predictions....

George Mason by 20+
East Rock by 2
Lee by 5
Page by 20+

Central shoots a ton of threes and against Clarke regrettably they made most of them. They made 17 in game one and 13 in game two. They are not huge but rebound fairly well. Central played mostly a man d but mixed in a half court trap as well.

Central must have some really good shooters! Are they consistent or really on or really off. Lee will probably be the biggest team they've seen this season. It will be interesting. Maybe they will leave the three's at home lol.

Also do you happen to know the score of the game Saturday between Central and Clarke? Did they play a consolation game?

Last edited:
Central is 100% guards. They are not afraid to shoot the 3 and try to spread the floor and drive+kick. They play really hard.

I don't think they're that good defensively and they try to make you beat them from outside...I'd expect nothing different from this game.

Lee was the biggest team Page saw all year too ... what happened?

With Lee's size they should not be losing games .. WTH

Lee was the biggest team Page saw all year too ... what happened?

With Lee's size they should not be losing games .. WTH
Well first I have to give Page County credit...they are a very good team and well coached. As far as Lee...they have had some inconsistency this season. I think they will be ready for the regionals beginning Friday. One of Lee's biggest problems has been foul shooting.

Like I said earlier...we are at the big dance time of year now. Win two game in a row and you're State tourney bound. So...anything can happen.

Well first I have to give Page County credit...they are a very good team and well coached. As far as Lee...they have had some inconsistency this season. I think they will be ready for the regionals beginning Friday. One of Lee's biggest problems has been foul shooting.

Like I said earlier...we are at the big dance time of year now. Win two game in a row and you're State tourney bound. So...anything can happen.

foul shooting was a problem for both Page and Lee on Saturday night. I believe at one point Page was down by about 5 in the 1st quarter and if they'd made all their free throws, they'd have been up by about 3. But down the stretch they always seem to knock em down. Just need to hit them early.

I don't know if Darius George always shoots like that from the line, but you'd expect a player of his caliber to knock FTs down at a high percentage. Vaughn is/can be a force with his 6'7 frame. Caused some problems for Page. Has to hit his FTs though or he could be a "hack-a-Shaq" for a team down the stretch.

4. Stuarts Draft Vs 1. George Mason (Only GM can beat GM in these matchups)
3. East Rockingham Vs. 2. Madison County (MC beats ER for the 3rd time this year. I wish we were playing Draft though).

4. Clarke County Vs. 1. Page County (Good draw for PC)
3. Central(Woodstock) Vs 2. R.E. Lee (that is if CW gets their PG back...otherwise they may struggle)

Not sure...just know that he did not play v. Madison last week and heard that he had some sort of injury.

Having seen Stuarts Draft play its crazy style about 15 times now in the last few years, and having been to GM's (ahem) "spacious" gym only once, I cannot even imagine what will happen in that one.
Mason plays a smothering, trapping defense, very quick team and have some size...they only allow about 42 ppg. and they almost entirely play man defense..I'll be surprised if Draft scores more then 60..but, anything can happen this time of yr

Mason's biggest strength is that they go 10 deep with very little drop off. They do not allow easy entry passes, contest everything and are athletic and smart enough to play uptempo offense while still playing solid defense.

The odd thing is that all their games are basically road games. They have little to no fan support. The couple of times I have been to their gym, the visitors had many more fans.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT