6. Virginia (4-3). 17. 571
7. Tazewell (4-3). 16.857
8. Lee (3-4). 16.429
9. Central (2-5). 13.571
10. Richlands (0-7). 11.714
11. Battle (0-7). 11.286
12. Marion (0-7). 11.000

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
That loss by Glenvar last night was big for not just Graham, but also Union. Graham easily wins its last 3 to finish 10 and 0, but Union still has Abingdon. If Union beats Abingdon, an 8-2 Union looks to outpoint a 9-1 Glenvar, so if it's Union and Graham for the Region D title, the winner of that game will host Region C in the semifinals (automatic if it's Graham, and looks like Union edges Glenvar also for points).

Also, a possible first round playoff matchup with Appo for Glenvar. I know Appo is down and struggling but with Glenvar's history against Appo, you can't tell me Glenvar wouldn't be at least a little nervous, even though a heavy favorite.

That loss by Glenvar last night was big for not just Graham, but also Union. Graham easily wins its last 3 to finish 10 and 0, but Union still has Abingdon. If Union beats Abingdon, an 8-2 Union looks to outpoint a 9-1 Glenvar, so if it's Union and Graham for the Region D title, the winner of that game will host Region C in the semifinals (automatic if it's Graham, and looks like Union edges Glenvar also for points).

Also, a possible first round playoff matchup with Appo for Glenvar. I know Appo is down and struggling but with Glenvar's history against Appo, you can't tell me Glenvar wouldn't be at least a little nervous, even though a heavy favorite.
I honestly don’t see Union losing to Abingdon.

I honestly don’t see Union losing to Abingdon.
I think Union wins with 2 weeks to prepare and playing at home, but not surprised if Abingdon won. With Abingdon, it's still 1000 or so kids in the school and their talent level is a bit different. Talking about a little more depth there and a team that won at Christiansburg, so they aren't a pushover. I think Union wins at home by 10 points, but again, with Abingdon, the talent that is on the field is a step up from most of them back west.

Appomattox will win out and probably be 5 so glenvar would maybe get them in second round but not first.

Last edited:

Appo is playing a lot better have made a few changes ! I would not want to play them in the first round especially Glenvar! Just saying

Appo is playing a lot better have made a few changes ! I would not want to play them in the first round especially Glenvar! Just saying
I have Appo finishing 5 traveling to Radford first round. I have Radford losing to Floyd but beating Carroll. If they lose both have Appo passing them by one point and them traveling to Appo in first round.

I think Union wins with 2 weeks to prepare and playing at home, but not surprised if Abingdon won. With Abingdon, it's still 1000 or so kids in the school and their talent level is a bit different. Talking about a little more depth there and a team that won at Christiansburg, so they aren't a pushover. I think Union wins at home by 10 points, but again, with Abingdon, the talent that is on the field is a step up from most of them back west.
Abingdon, just like most schools this way, is slowly losing enrollment. I think they're down to 850-880 student range. Of course, that's still 300 more than Union.

Keep in mind that Abingdon beat Christiansburg by the same margin that Riverheads did, so there's that. Union should be favored to beat Abingdon, but the Bears' ability to lay an egg is high.

Historically, the Falcons simply aren't a football school. I remember the days, when Abingdon was well over 1000 kids, and tiny little JI Burton beat them by 2 TDs. They've definitely had a few good seasons in the last 10 years, but their consistency has been extremely spotty.

I wouldn't want to play em and
Appomattox will win out and probably be 5 so glenvar would maybe get them in second round but not first.
Who would Appo play in round 1? For the love of all good things, tell me it's not Radford

Abingdon, just like most schools this way, is slowly losing enrollment. I think they're down to 850-880 student range. Of course, that's still 300 more than Union.

Keep in mind that Abingdon beat Christiansburg by the same margin that Riverheads did, so there's that. Union should be favored to beat Abingdon, but the Bears' ability to lay an egg is high.

Historically, the Falcons simply aren't a football school. I remember the days, when Abingdon was well over 1000 kids, and tiny little JI Burton beat them by 2 TDs. They've definitely had a few good seasons in the last 10 years, but their consistency has been extremely spotty.
I had to laugh at “the Bears ability to lay an egg is high!”

I think Union will win at Mitchell Stadium in round 2 with Graham, then host the Region C winner and win that game, and end up in Salem.
Was that loss to Science Hill expected? (like when we played Maury).
And, I always believe it’s hard tho beat a good well coached team twice in the same year. So I would give the nod to Union on the rematch.

Was that loss to Science Hill expected? (like when we played Maury).
And, I always believe it’s hard tho beat a good well coached team twice in the same year. So I would give the nod to Union on the rematch.
Definitely. Science Hill has 2400 students compared to Union's 560. They're not historically strong for their size, but are loaded this year with 3 D1 players. One is already committed to Colorado. Not sure about the other 2. They have some D2 talent as well.

They were 3 seconds away from being undefeated, barely losing to 17 time state champion and perennial 6A power, Maryville, TN.

For D. I have it this way.
1. Graham 25.43
2. Union 22.38
3. Ridgeview 20.50
4. Lebanon 20.38
5. Gate City 18.00
6. Virginia 17.57
7. Tazewell 16.86
8. Lee Co. 16.29
9. Central 13.86
10. Richlands 11.71
11. John Battle 11.29
12. Marion 11.00

Somebody let me know if you're getting the same. I've looked over it a couple times and don't see where I've messed up. VHSL appears to have messed up a couple of the out of state games for a couple of the teams. I'm sure it will be corrected.

I had to laugh at “the Bears ability to lay an egg is high!”
Union would have to go through Lebanon, V-High or Ridgeview in the 2nd round to make the region finals as it stands, of course things will most definitely change. A tougher road then Graham would have to go to get there. I'm liking what I see out of V-High as the season progresses. They have improved tremendously over the past few weeks. They are young, but have some promising athletes.
I still like Graham to win region D, despite their shortcomings on offense. The defense is outstanding and I believe that will carry them to the region D title.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT