ADVERTISEMENT

California is going to allow college players to get paid

What say you?

• Heck No!

Votes: 13 32.5%
  • About time! Colleges make a ton of money off these kids.

Votes: 23 57.5%
  • I haven't formed an opinion either way.

Votes: 4 10.0%

• Total voters
Not too many unpaid internships these days. My point continues to be that athletic scholarships aren't the only scholarships, yet they are the ones that seem to most regulated. Are there other types that dictate how much you can work/earn and the manner in which you earn your money? Furthermore not every student-athlete is on scholarship. Why should they be under the same financial restrictions as those who are being compensated.
"Amateur" sports is a completely made up concept, conceived by the upper class with the intent of keeping the lower classes out of their sports. By making it so you couldn't earn money doing your sport you had to be from a wealthy family in order to properly train to compete. Those from the lower classes had to work to live. There were those that had benefactors but that just proves what I'm saying: The upper class would pick and choose who got in and who didn't.

I'm not arguing for or against it. Not once have you seen me say that. And you obviously if you want to go against what I posted don't even want to see any other opinion other than yours.

My whole post was to not negate the scholarship like it is nothing. That is for academic 9r athletic. But to act like it is something that means nothing is ridiculous

Reactions: VAHSFootballFan
I'm not arguing for or against it. Not once have you seen me say that. And you obviously if you want to go against what I posted don't even want to see any other opinion other than yours.

My whole post was to not negate the scholarship like it is nothing. That is for academic 9r athletic. But to act like it is something that means nothing is ridiculous
Fair point. Athletic scholarships are not nothing, they are something.

Different schools have relationships with certain businesses. Let's take this scenario.
Louisville recruits the next Zion. They offer him a deal to make money off his name and likeness. If he signs at Louisville he gets his own pizza. The players name and picture get associated with that pizza and he gets a percentage of each sold. This is the kind of stuff that's going to go on. Big name schools like Duke in basketball will allow certain kids to have their own shoe with Nike and a percentage of the sales. Maryland has a close relationship with Under Armour and they will make deals with kids to get them to go to Maryland. Va Tech will have to try to find a business to help them out in recruiting. It will be an absolute mess.

Weber was getting one thing (though he did not take full advantage of)...an education — that some of his classmates are probably still paying for...

I would not describe an education as almost nothing.
Chris Weber did not graduate. Left early. Going to school and being broke and not knowing where your money to live off of is coming from and you are playing for someone that makes millions has to be kinda humilating. A lot of the coaches make more money per quarter of a game than the players education cost for the whole 4 years.

Chris Weber did not graduate. Left early. Going to school and being broke and not knowing where your money to live off of is coming from and you are playing for someone that makes millions has to be kinda humilating. A lot of the coaches make more money per quarter of a game than the players education cost for the whole 4 years.
That is why I clearly said he did not take advantage of it. The “it” is the free education he CHOSE not to complete. I’m sure his scholarship included a meal ticket at the university cafeteria, probably a better meal arrangement than “regular” students had.

I remember the days of a bunch of us on my dorm floor scrambling to get to the Krispy Kreme to grab the free donuts they were throwing out at the end of the day because none of us could afford to buy any. I don’t recall any basketball or football players joining us. My wardrobe consisted of mainly free T-shirt’s given away by companies in on campus booths trying to sell me something I couldn’t afford. Never saw a basketball/football player wearing those T-shirts.

Every supervisor or boss I have ever had made more money than me. The owner of the companies made more than the managers. That is not humiliating IMHO. It gives a goal to shoot for.

Point is, he made a decision to drop out and forfeit the education. The free “on the job” training he did receive for playing a year at Michigan lead to him making millions in the NBA. Maybe he should have stayed at least one more season. Might have taken a class that taught how to count timeouts.

I have no sympathy for Weber and others who fail to take advantage of the benefits of an education.

If they want to get paid for playing in college, okay. But I hope the cost of their education is deducted from those payments.

That is why I clearly said he did not take advantage of it. The “it” is the free education he CHOSE not to complete. I’m sure his scholarship included a meal ticket at the university cafeteria, probably a better meal arrangement than “regular” students had.

I remember the days of a bunch of us on my dorm floor scrambling to get to the Krispy Kreme to grab the free donuts they were throwing out at the end of the day because none of us could afford to buy any. I don’t recall any basketball or football players joining us. My wardrobe consisted of mainly free T-shirt’s given away by companies in on campus booths trying to sell me something I couldn’t afford. Never saw a basketball/football player wearing those T-shirts.
Ramen and cheap hamburger!!!! I waited tables at the Sheraton in Harrisonburg, got discounted meals (burgers and fries mostly). Generic Mac & Cheese, and a LOT of BUSCH BEER!!!

Reactions: Marshall-Dillon

Every supervisor or boss I have ever had made more money than me. The owner of the companies made more than the managers. That is not humiliating IMHO. It gives a goal to shoot for.

Point is, he made a decision to drop out and forfeit the education. The free “on the job” training he did receive for playing a year at Michigan lead to him making millions in the NBA. Maybe he should have stayed at least one more season. Might have taken a class that taught how to count timeouts.

I have no sympathy for Weber and others who fail to take advantage of the benefits of an education.

If they want to get paid for playing in college, okay. But I hope the cost of their education is deducted from those payments.
If the official had called the obvious walk, there would not have been a timeout called.

This law will never go into effect the ncaa will step in and make universal law for all schools. Can you see the unfairness of recruiting if California is the only one with this law it will not happen. It will be universal

If the official had called the obvious walk, there would not have been a timeout called.
If a frog had wings....

Weber made millions...thanks, in no small part, to the Fab Five hype generated while he was receiving a free education at Michigan. He’s been compensated plenty.

This law will never go into effect the ncaa will step in and make universal law for all schools. Can you see the unfairness of recruiting if California is the only one with this law it will not happen. It will be universal

The NCAA won't do that. They'll sue to stop this law from coming into effect (in 2023), the law represents a tremendous loss of governing body power on their part. They will most likely lose the lawsuit and by then several other states will put forth similar legislature which will come to pass as well. When SEC states see the Cali law wins in court they will rush to throw together legislature and, led by the SEC, the other states will follow suit.

It's going to play out very much like how USC got Bama (and the rest of the SEC) to de-segregate in football.

The NCAA won't do that. They'll sue to stop this law from coming into effect (in 2023), the law represents a tremendous loss of governing body power on their part. They will most likely lose the lawsuit and by then several other states will put forth similar legislature which will come to pass as well. When SEC states see the Cali law wins in court they will rush to throw together legislature and, led by the SEC, the other states will follow suit.

It's going to play out very much like how USC got Bama (and the rest of the SEC) to de-segregate in football.
Your understanding of how college football became desegregated is not a good analogy for how this will play out. The Bear saw Sam Cunningham and the other athletes and he knew what was needed to compete. It had absolutely nothing to do with any kind of litigation. Your prediction for how this will play out is off as well. The NCAA is not going to court to block the legislation for three very simple reasons. The first is they will lose, the second is with other states already in the process of putting forth their own legislation they will be fighting an uphill battle nationwide and the third is the California implementation date is 2023 which allows time to compromise. The NCAA will seek to control the process. They will set forth rules for their members and when approved by the entire body the legislation will be a non event.

Reactions: Baseball215
Your understanding of how college football became desegregated is not a good analogy for how this will play out. The Bear saw Sam Cunningham and the other athletes and he knew what was needed to compete. It had absolutely nothing to do with any kind of litigation. Your prediction for how this will play out is off as well. The NCAA is not going to court to block the legislation for three very simple reasons. The first is they will lose, the second is with other states already in the process of putting forth their own legislation they will be fighting an uphill battle nationwide and the third is the California implementation date is 2023 which allows time to compromise. The NCAA will seek to control the process. They will set forth rules for their members and when approved by the entire body the legislation will be a non event.

No, I used USC/Bama as in Cali leading the SEC into the modern integrated game, same as will happen here. I'll also bet you anything that this goes to court. You're also presupposing the NCAA meets or exceeds the current law which, of course, it won't. You don't seem to understand that NCAA by-laws don't run the country. If the NCAA fails in any way, shape, or form to match the Cali law the Cali schools will be legally free to follow actual law, not made up NCAA law, and do what they want within the bounds of that law.

Your assertions here are hilariously wrong and off-target.

No, I used USC/Bama as in Cali leading the SEC into the modern integrated game, same as will happen here. I'll also bet you anything that this goes to court. You're also presupposing the NCAA meets or exceeds the current law which, of course, it won't. You don't seem to understand that NCAA by-laws don't run the country. If the NCAA fails in any way, shape, or form to match the Cali law the Cali schools will be legally free to follow actual law, not made up NCAA law, and do what they want within the bounds of that law.

Your assertions here are hilariously wrong and off-target.
Never said NCAA by laws ran the country. The matter is reality and what will practically happen. We will see what happens and then it will be clear who is hilariously wrong and off target.

Can California law supersede NCAA by-laws? Yes, California law can state that California college athletes can profit on their likenesses but could the NCAA state anyone following this law would not be a part of the NCAA? Not the same level of social importance, but would this be similar to the Massive Resistance movement in VA that shut down schools attempting to integrate? Not saying schools would shut down, but would they be forced into NAIA or something similar?

It's gonna be a mess. Hopefully the NCAA will grow some and finally start sharing some of the massive profits.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT