Votes: 17 32.1%
  • Riverheads

Votes: 36 67.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

woodlayer#952002

VaPreps Varsity
Oct 26, 2012
At the beginning of the playoffs Cal preps prediction was Riverheads win by 17 points. Galax were the closest ones out of all the teams in 1a. Let's hear your thoughts. I think Riverheads win 31-14

I've watched Riverheads and Galax each twice this season. Something different about this Maroon Tide team this season. They arent just a run til you stop it team. They have weapons all over the field and their defense is fast and very physical. I have no dog in the fight but if Galax brings their A game, they win this game.

Is this Galax team as good as the 2016 team, or better? Big Red is about equal as their 2016 team, and they beat the brakes off Galax in 2016

Reactions: obguthr
Based on yesterday’s performance, I don’t see any drastic improvements from the 2018 Galax team. So as much as I hate to see it, Riverheads 42-10.

Hopefully they won't get there and lay an egg like Chilhowie has the past few years. Galax yesterday did alot of things out of character in that game yesterday like Chilhowie did in the championship game. They both abandoned the pass game when it got tough. Cannot do that. Riverheads will stack the box and dominate. Riverheads was by far the dominant team both years but chilhowie did themselves no favors. It was a good game going into the second half. It was just a one score game last year at the half I believe.
One game does not represent the whole body of work. The game I saw yesterday is not the Galax I have watched on YouTube this year. If Galax plays like that next week it will be a repeat of the past two years.

Reactions: GameWatcher111
I've watched every game and I'll disagree

I hope you’re right, you’ve got more to base that off of than me, I can only go on 1 game and that’s not fair. But I’m not looking through Maroon colored glasses either. LOL. I’m just kidding. Go Tide. I’d love to see the title back down this way And especially for you guys to take down Riverheads.

Reactions: MT FAN 91
Riverheads can be beat, Galax done proved that, but I also seen Riverheads come into our house the following year and beat the brakes off of us.i personally think this game will come down to what Galax team shows up, if we come out and make unnecessary penalties then we will more than likely get our ass handed to us, if we keep the mistakes to a bare minimum we can pull this off. Both teams are almost dead even in the points scored and points allowed category, only common opponent this year was Glenvar, which both teams beat.....that's about the only measuring stick I can see to gage these two teams, hopefully it will be a close game...... Roll Tide Roll !

I've watched Riverheads and Galax each twice this season. Something different about this Maroon Tide team this season. They arent just a run til you stop it team. They have weapons all over the field and their defense is fast and very physical. I have no dog in the fight but if Galax brings their A game, they win this game.
You are correct, Coach Dixon finally figured out that we needed more balance game plan to get over the hump, finally have a good passing game to compliment our running game, I personally think this is the best team Coach Dixon has ever fielded.....yes even better than the team that best Riverheads, and better than the team that was undefeated at the time and got beat by Clintwood......but that's just my opinion, time will tell.

Is this Galax team as good as the 2016 team, or better? Big Red is about equal as their 2016 team, and they beat the brakes off Galax in 2016
Good thing is that this isn't 2016 when they beats the brakes off of Galax, it's also not 2015 when we beat them in the title game to ruin there undefeated season.....this is 2019.

Reactions: imabluesfan
Riverheads can be beat, Galax done proved that, but I also seen Riverheads come into our house the following year and beat the brakes off of us.i personally think this game will come down to what Galax team shows up, if we come out and make unnecessary penalties then we will more than likely get our ass handed to us, if we keep the mistakes to a bare minimum we can pull this off. Both teams are almost dead even in the points scored and points allowed category, only common opponent this year was Glenvar, which both teams beat.....that's about the only measuring stick I can see to gage these two teams, hopefully it will be a close game...... Roll Tide Roll !
points scored are almost dead even like u said, rhs 679 to 141, 4 playoff games 206 to 21, galax 677 to 187, 4 playoff games 205 to 43, and glenvar only common opponent, rhs 38 to 21, and galax 32 to 29, but both games earlier in the season, both teams are playing much better and are rolling, I think it will be a close game and will be a chess match between 2 very good coaching staffs, GO BIG RED

points scored are almost dead even like u said, rhs 679 to 141, 4 playoff games 206 to 21, galax 677 to 187, 4 playoff games 205 to 43, and glenvar only common opponent, rhs 38 to 21, and galax 32 to 29, but both games earlier in the season, both teams are playing much better and are rolling, I think it will be a close game and will be a chess match between 2 very good coaching staffs, GO BIG RED
Not that it really matters on the common opponent, but we did have to travel to Glenvar, and they was super pump up to show off there new field for the first time, and Riverheads did get home field advantage in that match up..... in the infamous words of Ric Flair to be the best, you got to beat the best, and clearly Riverheads have proven over the years they are the best, and the team to beat......I'm really looking forward to this matchup...... Roll Tide Roll!!!

Big Red is getting better in passing D. They are better in the passing O. The rest is as usual-dominate. That doesn’t bode well for any opponent. They can and will get ya from all angles

IMO Riverheads has played a much tougher schedule than Galax so the points for an against are a mute point. What I have seen in 1A and 2A football offenses that try to do too much dont do anything great. If they dont have an identity they struggle against good defenses. Against subpar opponents everything works but its a different story when you go up against a very good defense. Just ask Sussex and Essex. Dont know if Riverheads defense can slow down Galax saturday but I will be surprised if Galax can stop our offense. May be another 2010 title game.

Reactions: Bama1985
IMO Riverheads has played a much tougher schedule than Galax so the points for an against are a mute point. What I have seen in 1A and 2A football offenses that try to do too much dont do anything great. If they dont have an identity they struggle against good defenses. Against subpar opponents everything works but its a different story when you go up against a very good defense. Just ask Sussex and Essex. Dont know if Riverheads defense can slow down Galax saturday but I will be surprised if Galax can stop our offense. May be another 2010 title game.

the best team either team player was Northside, and that was Galax.

Riverheads played Glenvar, at East Rock and at Draft. Galax played at Glenvar, at Northside and at GW. The schedules are very similar. Neither team player a much tougher schedule than the other.

Riverheads played Glenvar, at East Rock and at Draft. Galax played at Glenvar, at Northside and at GW. The schedules are very similar. Neither team player a much tougher schedule than the other.
I have to disagree with that. Riverheads played three 3A, five 2A and one of the 2A is playing for the state championships. Galax district schedule is really weak IMO. They played 2 good times all year and lost one and was lucky to win the other.

Reactions: Bama1985
I have to disagree with that. Riverheads played three 3A, five 2A and one of the 2A is playing for the state championships. Galax district schedule is really weak IMO. They played 2 good times all year and lost one and was lucky to win the other.

A bad team is a bad team. Riverheads played a very good schedule, but Galax went on the road to a 2A and a 3A team that made it to the regional finals and gave Botetout their toughest game. Northside was the best team either team playe d IMO. Galax lost but gave a very good showing.
I believe only one of the 3A teams RHS played was a playoff team, 5-5 Skyline. Wilson was 2-8, FD was 5-5, not bad but not a playoff team. I never said Galax had a tougher schedule, only that their top three opponents were similar and I wouldn't say Galaxs schedule was dramatically worse than Riverheads.

State rankings per MaxPreps (VA rankings)

Riverheads opponents:
W&L-157
Glenvar-111
East Rock-69
Col. Beach-194
Skyline-190
Wilson -250
FD-215
RE Lee-261
BG-171
SD-42
Avg: 166

Galax:
Glenvar-111
Martinsville-305
Carroll Co-255
RR-251
Northside-36
FC-233
GW-116
Auburn-162
Grayson-295
Avg: 178.4

I don't believe MaxPreps is a perfect source for rankings by any means, but I think Galax played a decent schedule. Not quite as tough as Riverheads but a good schedule.

Wasn't luck....Galax should've have won that game by a larger margin but hurt themselves with early season mistakes

Wasn't luck....Galax should've have won that game by a larger margin but hurt themselves with early season mistakes
Bottom line is shoud’ve but didnt. We should’ve beat Altavista a couple years ago but didnt. We should’ve lost to William Campbell in 06 but we got lucky and won and went on to win our 3rd championship when should not have been there. I could shoulda, woulda, coulda all day. Bottom line is the final score is what it is.

Bottom line is shoud’ve but didnt. We should’ve beat Altavista a couple years ago but didnt. We should’ve lost to William Campbell in 06 but we got lucky and won and went on to win our 3rd championship when should not have been there. I could shoulda, woulda, coulda all day. Bottom line is the final score is what it is.
So how does the final score mean we were lucky to win??? Were you there to see all the lucky plays we had to get the lucky win??? Think what you want but beating Glenvar definitely wasn't luck.

Last edited:
Reactions: MaroonTidePride32
So how does the final score mean we were lucky to win??? Were you there to see all the lucky plays we had to get the lucky win??? Think what you want but beating Glenvar definitely wasn't luck.
Maybe the word luck wasnt the right word should have said the game could have went either way.

How has the Galax pass D been this year?
Outstanding until that one play Saturday lol.
Quick question if Riverheads wins Saturday as well as Stuarts Draft does that make Riverheads 1A and 2A state champions?. Haha I kid. I hope we get to see a great game Saturday without anyone getting hurt. My stomach still weazy after that poor young man from PH Saturday.

Riverheads JV team wins over GW. fromwhat I watched on YouTube. jmo

Reactions: Cowboys69
Riverheads has sooooo many weapons that Galax will have great difficulty deciding where to key their defense. We have at least six running backs who can (and have) scored from anywhere on the field, including one who has scored as many as six touchdowns in a game. One of our top fullbacks has been moved to another position and if he were to be activated, that would give the Big Red not one, not two, but THREE quality fullbacks. We have a top notch receiver who can catch anything that is thrown near him and we have two quarterbacks (brothers in fact) who can get the ball to him. On defense we have improved by leaps and bounds, especially on pass defense and very few teams can get to the corners when running the ball. But most importantly we have tradition and we have a coaching staff that prepares themselves and the players like you wouldn't believe.

For Galax to win, it will simply have to be a case of them being the better team, one that could beat Riverheads any time on any field. The Gladiators will show up prepared and focused and with all those weapons I have just listed at their disposal. If they lose it will not be due to their own lack of effort.

Riverheads has sooooo many weapons that Galax will have great difficulty deciding where to key their defense. We have at least six running backs who can (and have) scored from anywhere on the field, including one who has scored as many as six touchdowns in a game. One of our top fullbacks has been moved to another position and if he were to be activated, that would give the Big Red not one, not two, but THREE quality fullbacks. We have a top notch receiver who can catch anything that is thrown near him and we have two quarterbacks (brothers in fact) who can get the ball to him. On defense we have improved by leaps and bounds, especially on pass defense and very few teams can get to the corners when running the ball. But most importantly we have tradition and we have a coaching staff that prepares themselves and the players like you wouldn't believe.

For Galax to win, it will simply have to be a case of them being the better team, one that could beat Riverheads any time on any field. The Gladiators will show up prepared and focused and with all those weapons I have just listed at their disposal. If they lose it will not be due to their own lack of effort.
one of the many running backs broke the school rushing record on that 90 yard run on sat, and needs 2 tds to break the season td record, but I am sure he wants a win on sat and if he gets the record he gets it and if not he has next year, and he will break the all time td record next year, GO BIG RED

Reactions: Cowboys69
I am a homer for sure but this is a different Galax team than the Gladiators faced in either of their previous games. More diverse offensively and a tad quicker defensively in my opinion. I do not see a Caleb Spurlin on their D but I also do not see a Ridge Stokes on ours. So in fairness, this will likely be the best team we have faced all year and that includes the 2A state title contending Stuarts Draft team. I would like to think Riverheads has plenty of weapons and can do what we like but this Galax team has 4 home run hitters of their own so anyone thinking this is a lopsided affair is not paying attention. Good luck to both and would love to see an injury free game that showcases both teams ability and not see any yellow laundry on the turf.

Anybody factoring the weather in to the lofty predictions? Just curious as passing for either team will likely be a mute point if its raining as one forecast is showing.

Reactions: MT FAN 91
Galax has spent all season working on a spread system to beat RH; spread RH out and get the ball to play makers in space and spread them out and run Denver Brown.....It has been successful up to this point and I think that idea would have worked well (Not saying they would beat them; but work well).....However, it looks like mother nature is planning to throw a wrench into the game plan...I know its Monday and if anything we know the weather changes hour by hour, but at this point its looking Cool and Rainy for Saturday in Salem. Yes you can throw and catch in the rain....but it makes it much tougher.....On a dry field and dry weather I say RH by 1 to 2 TDs......With the weather expected and RH heavy and very successful running game I will now say RH by 3 to 4 TDs. We will just wait and see if the weather happens or not.

Its great they have a lot of weapons, but last I checked only 11 played at any given time and only 1 can carry the ball. Our boys deserve to win as much as any team and will come just as prepared and just as focused. They know everybody’s wrote them off but they won’t back down from anyone. And just like your boys if ours lose it won’t be because of lack of effort either.

Hopefully they won't get there and lay an egg like Chilhowie has the past few years. Galax yesterday did alot of things out of character in that game yesterday like Chilhowie did in the championship game. They both abandoned the pass game when it got tough. Cannot do that. Riverheads will stack the box and dominate. Riverheads was by far the dominant team both years but chilhowie did themselves no favors. It was a good game going into the second half. It was just a one score game last year at the half I believe.
One game does not represent the whole body of work. The game I saw yesterday is not the Galax I have watched on YouTube this year. If Galax plays like that next week it will be a repeat of the past two years.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT