ADVERTISEMENT

Can someone post how many teams make playoffs for each division 1A to 6a

GO to www.vhsl.org it on the home page

VHSL Football Playoff Formats

1A East – 12 teams – top 4 teams receive a first round bye – cross bracket after regional semifinals

1A West – 16 teams – straight power point bracket – cross bracket after regional semifinals

2A East – 16 teams – straight power point bracket – cross bracket after regional semifinals

2A West – 16 teams – straight power point bracket – cross bracket after regional semifinals

3A East – 16 teams – sectionalized bracket (Conferences 25/27 paired and 26/28 paired) – cross bracket after regional semifinals

3A West – 16 teams – straight power point bracket – cross bracket after regional semifinals

4A East – 16 teams – sectionalized bracket (Conferences 17/18 paired and 19/20 paired) – regional champion crowned at state semifinal game

4A West – 12 teams – top 4 teams receive a first round bye – regional champion crowned at state semifinal game

5A South – 16 teams – sectionalized bracket (Conferences 9/10 paired and 11/12 paired) – regional champion crowned at state semifinal game

5A North – 16 teams – straight power point bracket – regional champions crowned at state semifinal game.

6A South – 16 teams – sectionalized bracket (Conferences 1/2 paired and 3/4 paired) – regional champion crowned at state semifinal

6A North – 16 teams – straight power point bracket – regional champion crowned at state semifinal

How will the playoffs work next year with 4 regions? Eight qualifiers per region? Automatic bids for district champs? Which region champs will play each other in the semi-finals? Will it alternate year to year?

I know this is a lot of questions, so I'd be happy if someone can post a link to where I can find these answers. I couldn't find it anywhere on vhsl.org

How will the playoffs work next year with 4 regions? Eight qualifiers per region? Automatic bids for district champs? Which region champs will play each other in the semi-finals? Will it alternate year to year?

I know this is a lot of questions, so I'd be happy if someone can post a link to where I can find these answers. I couldn't find it anywhere on vhsl.org

GO to www.vhsl.org

The VHSL misprinted that because the playoffs don't cross bracket until after North 1A/South 1A sectional title games. The winner is rewarded a trophy and the next round is the state semi-finals. For example Essex hosted Sussex Central and played their North 1A sectional championship (region final somewhat) and Essex was rewarded the trophy. The brackets were then cross bracketed the following round and they then hosted Galax.

It's my understanding --- like presently --- it will be up to each region to determine how many teams qualify for post-season play and I suspect each classification will continue to determine how the state semifinals will be played (cross-bracketed or not). The VHSL has not yet released its 2017-18 calendar, so it will be interesting to see if post-season play will continue to be 5 weeks or 4 weeks. 5 weeks would accommodate 8 teams qualifying per region while 4 would accommodate 4 teams qualifying per region. I suspect it will continue to be 5 weeks.

From VHSL Website
Season Information
First Practice July 27, 2017
First Contest Aug. 21-26, 2017
District Deadline Nov. 4, 2017
Playoff Deadline - 1st round Nov. 11, 2017
Playoff Deadline - 2nd round Nov. 18, 2017
Playoff Deadline - 3rd round Nov. 25, 2017
VHSL Semifinals Dec. 2, 2017
VHSL Championships Dec. 9, 2017

I would guess it is up to the individual regions:
My thoughts are Region A is going to have 17 schools, minus Chincoteague is 16. 8 seems fair, 4 leaves a lot out.
Region B has 10 schools, minus appo reg gov school, carver, cumberland, galileo, rapp co. That makes 5 schools playing football. Does 4 work? or maybe they will balance numbers for football.
Region C has 12, I think 6 with top 2 getting bye works.
Region D has 15, I think 8 works.

I think if you go 8 across the board, nobody that should be in would get left out (you would just need to figure Region B out).
4 is too few in my opinion. 6 is going to be good in some years, and you'll leave out 8-2 teams in others. But hey, they'll probably change it again after 4 years again anyways!

Thanks for locating that calendar! So it will stay at 5 weeks. I recall seeing a proposal over the summer where West Point, Sussex, Surry and Charles City would be shifted to Region B for football purposes only. I have no clue if that passed or not. Or maybe I dreamed that all up???

Thanks for locating that calendar! So it will stay at 5 weeks. I recall seeing a proposal over the summer where West Point, Sussex, Surry and Charles City would be shifted to Region B for football purposes only. I have no clue if that passed or not. Or maybe I dreamed that all up???

The proposal was for them to shift (in all sports) to the Mideast on the condition that at least 2 schools from that region moved up to 2A. Only 1 school moved up and the region approved the original plan.

Wow. So unless they make a change this spring for football only, Region B will have 4 out of 5 teams in the playoffs and all 4 will get a week off after the regular season.
Heck, might as well let them all in and have the 4 & 5 play in round one. Haha. The VHSL is funny.....

Wow. So unless they make a change this spring for football only, Region B will have 4 out of 5 teams in the playoffs and all 4 will get a week off after the regular season.
Heck, might as well let them all in and have the 4 & 5 play in round one. Haha. The VHSL is funny.....

Don't blame the VHSL. Blame the region and every school in the region that voted for it. The region came up with the plan and the region approved the plan before it was sent to realignment. The region chose geography/proximity over balance and at the time the vote was taken only one school in the region voted against it.

There will be 7 schools in Region B that participate in football.

Reactions: obguthr
Don't blame the VHSL. Blame the region and every school in the region that voted for it. The region came up with the plan and the region approved the plan before it was sent to realignment. The region chose geography/proximity over balance and at the time the vote was taken only one school in the region voted against it.

There will be 7 schools in Region B that participate in football.

Yes there will be 7 but Cumberland and Rappahannock County have not been eligible for the playoffs for the past few years. I don't know if either will pick up their full district schedule in the next cycle. Unless the VHSL does away with that requirement, There will only be 5.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT