ADVERTISEMENT

CHS 73 Western 63

blackknight_pride

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Sep 27, 2016
Harrisonburg
Charlottesville's most dominant quarter this season has by far been the fourth. They average 19 points per game in that frame, and beat Amherst County 31-8 in the final frame in one game this year. Charlottesville found itself in need to pull this off again, trailing 52-49 at the end of the third on Senior Night. They did. The Black Knights pulled away from the Warriors in the final 7 minutes to secure the #3 seed in the district tournament, while also denying Western a share of the title with Albemarle.
Western started off hot, with senior Ryan Ingram nailing his first three 3-point attempts, and that put the Black Knights in a hole early. Ingram was in double figures before the end of the first, and Western led 18-11. Charlottesville responded in the second, cutting the lead to 22-19, but Ingram hit another trey to go up 28-19 with 2 minutes left in the half, and the Warriors led 35-28 at halftime. From there, Charlottesville Junior Sam Neale took over. He scored 16 of his 19 points in the second half, including three 3-pointers in a span of 2 minutes to keep the game close. Senior guard Jaylen Hudson then tied the game at 52-52 in the fourth, then Senior Patrick Ronayne knocked down a triple to give the Black Knights a 55-52 lead. Neale then scored a fast break layup off a steal from Hudson to take a five point lead and the Black Knight's never looked back. Hudson added 16 for Charlottesville, and Ronayne had 14. Ryan Ingram led all scorers with 38 points, hitting 21 of 22 free throws and added 5 treys.

Western Albemarle (18-4, 12-2 District) and Charlottesville (16-6, 10-4) will face off again Tuesday in the District Semifinals at Albemarle High School. After the district tournament, both teams will participate in conference tournaments. Western is currently the #1 seed in Conference 29 and Charlottesville is #4 in Conference 23, but that could change depending on the results of the JD tournament and how Spotswood and Liberty Christian do in their last games.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1louisalion
I could be mistaken but I don't think district tournament games can have any impact on conference seedings. Those games do not count towards the power rating/point system I don't think since districts are given the option to have a tournament or not. I think the seeding is based on the 22 game/regular season record. I could be wrong though.

Reactions: blackknight_pride
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT