ADVERTISEMENT

Clarke Co over Rapp Co 84-0

This kind of score isn’t necessary. My issue is just pouring it on in the first half knowing the win is a certainty. Not classy IMO.

East Rock at home next week. Playoff time.

I can promise you Castos not putting up 84. The playoff system definitely needs revamped. This game is no good for either team. Rapp has zero chance to win. People complaining in years past about Riverheads having a bye in the 1st round, well I dont really see a difference here except now Rapp has to put out $ and have a long trip to play a game that will be over in the 1st couple of minutes. Really dont see the point of even playing it, but thats just my opinion.

I have seen him take multiple penalties and try long field goals on 3rd down from outside the kickers range. 62 or 63 is about the max you would see. That has generally been a score or two that was by a 2nd or 3rd stringer breaking a long one. I would also argue that the D gets substituted and by being inexperienced allows a TD or two against most teams.

This takes me as a complete surprise. Clarks head coach IMO is a very good coach and class act. Im very intrested to know what happened as this score is totally out of character for him. This is not the coach Parker that i have respect for, plenty of questions here.

This takes me as a complete surprise. Clarks head coach IMO is a very good coach and class act. Im very intrested to know what happened as this score is totally out of character for him. This is not the coach Parker that i have respect for, plenty of questions here.
Even had a punt block on, returned for TD while up 77-0, up 37-0 and threw a 35 yard TD pass

Disappointed to say the least

I was at the game. I have mixed feelings about it. The second string and even the Freshman players took over in the 2nd half. Coach cleared the bench. What are you supposed to do, tell kids that haven't had much playing time the whole season not to play their best? Besides, I think that can be even more embarrassing for the opposing team to be played soft. The Rappahannock players never gave up, never held their heads down, and kept playing til the end. They were just overmatched, by a lot.

I loved the announcer for Rappahannock, he was fantastic!

I was at the game. I have mixed feelings about it. The second string and even the Freshman players took over in the 2nd half. Coach cleared the bench. What are you supposed to do, tell kids that haven't had much playing time the whole season not to play their best? Besides, I think that can be even more embarrassing for the opposing team to be played soft. The Rappahannock players never gave up, never held their heads down, and kept playing til the end. They were just overmatched, by a lot.

58-0 at half
No reason the young kids couldn’t have played in the 2Q. The first half free for all, slinging the rock, is the issue for me.
Can’t expect the JV kids to hold back.

Maybe I’m just old school. I don’t know.
84-0, hell our better teams didn’t even beat Stonewall like that years ago.

I've not been around football for many years like alot of others and dont know records or history of coaches. I gained all the respect for coach parker when Appo won state against them. The way he handled himself and gave recognition to his players shows he was teaching them like i like to see done. His interest is his players and teaching them about doing things right to help them in life. I will defend coach Parker and accept he could not stop this and tried to the best he could without just plain telling his players to lay down and do nothing.

58-0 at half
No reason the young kids couldn’t have played in the 2Q. The first half free for all, slinging the rock, is the issue for me.

I get where you're coming from. I think most any team keeps the starters for the first half in any game and puts in their subs when the clock is running in the second half.

I've not been around football for many years like alot of others and dont know records or history of coaches. I gained all the respect for coach parker when Appo won state against them. The way he handled himself and gave recognition to his players shows he was teaching them like i like to see done. His interest is his players and teaching them about doing things right to help them in life. I will defend coach Parker and accept he could not stop this and tried to the best he could without just plain telling his players to lay down and do nothing.
Honestly, there were so many missed tackles and the runners probably ran 3 times as much as the yardage they gained because they ran all over the field.

Graham was up 44-0 at the end of the first quarter against Marion. Score ended up 46-7. Subs were in at the beginning of the 2nd quarter and play was very conservative. No need to put up 84 on anybody. Not sure of the situation in this game, but I have seen other teams keep starters in. Even saw a team score 76 on Graham a few years back and go for 2 (and make it), with less than a minute left in the game.

The way he ended the game is the way he should have started.

I respect how you are approaching this therefore; I will respond as I have a child on the Clarke team. Clarke subbed out completely at half and was sprinkling kids in and out in the 2nd qtr on the line and backfield. A foreign exchange student playing running back and 9th graders and 10th graders (for the most part) playing the entire 2nd half. Clarke even subbed their special teams other than their kicker.
Here is how these games get away from you and coaches/teams become the "bad guys":
1-Clarke literally played that game from the 45 in with JV and Varsity guys in game-Clarke wasn't stunting or sending guys all over the place on defense to make plays. Just lined up and played on defense. Clarke threw the ball a handful of times in 1st half (so what's best?--run it at an inferior team who can't tackle you or throw a pass where bodies aren't flying all over the place by the offensive line?? There is no right answer to that question. Dang if you do....Dang if you don't
2- Rapp fumbled on their own 2 yard line--their own 15 yard line--tried to throw from their own 4 and took a safety. Then on the free kick....punted it about 20 yards. On the block punt for a TD it was a 10th grader just playing hard (who isn't a starter and it was his 1st TD of his career). That's basically 30 points and Clarke didn't have to do much at all......
3-Rapp punter could only punt it about 15-20 yards. Shanked about 3 out of bounds which made things worse. Clarke wasn't even trying to rush the punter --it kind of just happened and it was the JV kids who were on field for this. Clarke didn't even put a return kid back and was just playing safe.

When you see scores like this you can rest assured it isn't "fun" for either team BUT you can't tell kids who have practiced since Aug to not play hard. There is no right answer on what is the best way to handle it for Clarke (some say punt on 1st down or take knees....some say that is more demoralizing --some say let kids play...this can go on for days!!..) The winning team is never "right" in the eyes of some. Furthermore, I can fully assure you other teams in the Bull Run had their starters in the game for most if not the entire first half as well. Sometimes plays/scenarios in the game make the score what it is and not what the other team is doing to that opponent.
I spoke with the Rapp principal after the game while I was waiting on my son and he actually did the box on the chain crew. He spoke very highly of Clarke's staff and players and how they were well mannered and showed great sportsmanship. So in closing--people are entitled to their opinion but usually not "in the know" so to speak.

Good luck to all the BRD teams playing in regionals.

Last edited:
Guys I hear you and agree to an extent, but one thing to keep in mind. We can't always assume that one teams JV and 9th/10th graders are not better than the other teams varsity. We often make that assumption and it doesn't always hold true. In the Gretna blowout, they did substitute early and went ultra conservative as they already are ultra conservative, and they simply handed the ball off to the JV RB with a JV OL right off of the guards hip and the kid would just run untouched for a score, then Chatham would get the ball and fumble deep in their own territory within 1 to 3 plays. What the heck can you do?

I suspect Graham's JV or young players in the 9th and 10th grade were neutralized by Marion's varsity, but this is not always the case. Gretna's "youngins" were 4-5 touchdowns better than Chatham's varsity. The same thing I'm sure happened at Rapp County. Even if you substitute early in the second quarter with your young players, sometimes they keep scoring. That's usually not the case, but it does happen.

Guys I hear you and agree to an extent, but one thing to keep in mind. We can't always assume that one teams JV and 9th/10th graders are not better than the other teams varsity. We often make that assumption and it doesn't always hold true. In the Gretna blowout, they did substitute early and went ultra conservative as they already are upyrs conservative, and they simply handed through ball off to the JV RB with a JV OL right off of the guards hio and the kid would just run untouched for a score, then Chatham would get the ball and fumble deep in their own territory within 1 to 3 plays. What the heck can you do?

I suspect Graham's JV or young players in the 9th and 10th grade were neutralized by Marion's varsity, but this is not always the case. Gretna's "youngins" were 4-5 touchdowns better than Chatham's varsity. The same thing I'm sure happened at Rapp County. Even if you substitute early in the second quarter with your young players, sometimes they keep scoring. That's usually not the case, but it does happen.
Very true in the 2nd paragraph and very very accurate in this case.

Even if you substitute early in the second quarter with your young players, sometimes they keep scoring.
This is the hypothetical that myself as a fan and alumnus would prefer happen. Instead the starters hung 58. Hopefully those extra passing reps will pay off against East Rock this week.

This is the hypothetical that myself as a fan and alumnus would prefer happen. Instead the starters hung 58. Hopefully those extra passing reps will pay off against East Rock this week.

Nothing hypothetical about it with Gretna and Chatham. It happened.
Now, I don't know for sure about Clarke, but I do know Rapp County is really, really down this year and just by knowing how good Clarke has been with the talent in that program and the lack of enthusiasm in Rapp County's program, I would be surprised if Clarke's JV players were not better than Rapp County's varsity, but I admit I don't know and haven't seen either play. For Gretna and Chatham though, it wasn't hypothetical. It happened.

Guys I hear you and agree to an extent, but one thing to keep in mind. We can't always assume that one teams JV and 9th/10th graders are not better than the other teams varsity. We often make that assumption and it doesn't always hold true. In the Gretna blowout, they did substitute early and went ultra conservative as they already are ultra conservative, and they simply handed the ball off to the JV RB with a JV OL right off of the guards hip and the kid would just run untouched for a score, then Chatham would get the ball and fumble deep in their own territory within 1 to 3 plays. What the heck can you do?

To piggyback off this, I have read on 5a board where Highland Springs JV has like 6 undefeated teams in a row, and there has been discussion about them being able to beat some Varsity teams. So if they are that good (I have no idea), what would you expect? They were beating teams close to scores like these. Who do they put in? And its certainly fathomable for teams who are having very rough years to be overmatched by younger kids. Think of it this way, these JV kids don't just "get good" once they get to Varsity.

Chatham kind of surprised me just because they were in the playoff picture going into last night (might still be), but RC lost to the 2 lowest teams in Region B (Stonewall and Madison) by a combined 73-0. Stonewall wins against RC and MC, MC only win over RC.

58-0 at half

After reading the Winchester Star, I lost a bit of respect for CC. According to the paper’s article on the game, the coach said that he wanted a lot of points and a shutout. I normally would support that as a great goal. But...like the coach said in the paper, they knew they could exploit RC, and boy did they.

I could understand if they put up 84 against Strasbourg or Luray or Madison, but everybody knows Rapp is basically a bad JV team.

I know it is the other teams responsibility to stop you from scoring, but sometimes a little mercy is called for.

After reading the Winchester Star, I lost a bit of respect for CC. According to the paper’s article on the game, the coach said that he wanted a lot of points and a shutout. I normally would support that as a great goal. But...like the coach said in the paper, they knew they could exploit RC, and boy did they.

I could understand if they put up 84 against Strasbourg or Luray or Madison, but everybody knows Rapp is basically a bad JV team.

I know it is the other teams responsibility to stop you from scoring, but sometimes a little mercy is called for.

Yikes. Not a good look

why is it all on Clarke?
Rapp could have done like Jamestown did earlier this year
agree to only play the first half and live to fight another day.

Reactions: RoJoHokie
In that Luray/Clarke video, neither team looked good at all. Those guys must need to win 84-0 to feel good about themselves.

Reactions: 19GHS87
Clarke County coach Chris Parker was pretty blunt about what he wanted to see from his football team in an obvious mismatch at Rappahannock County on Friday night — a lot of points and a shutout.
"We did what we had to do," Parker said of his club's romp. "

"We scouted them," Parker said. "We saw them on film. They have a ways to go in their program. That's not putting them down. We thought that we could exploit things."

The Eagles kept up the exploitation in the next 12 minutes.
To be honest, I thought we could do really whatever we wanted to," Parker said. "I tried to mix it up with run, pass. We were executing both very good."

I didn’t plan on commenting further... but justifying a blocked punt (which was returned for. a TD) on a “10th grader just playing hard” is pretty weak. You were up by 60+ at the time? Ever heard of setting up a return? Or fair catching the punt? You probably would have scored anyway but at least time would run off the clock.

Maybe Clarke should schedule Martinsburg, WV. I understand that they are always looking for a challenge!

Last edited:
I didn’t plan on commenting further... but justifying a blocked punt (which was returned for. a TD) on a “10th grader just playing hard” is pretty weak. You were up by 60+ at the time? Ever heard of setting up a return? Or fair catching the punt? You probably would have scored anyway but at least time would ran off the clock.

Maybe Clarke should schedule Martinsburg, WV. I understand that they are always looking for a challenge!
That Martinsburg comment was as stupid as they come. A "AAA" school with 1500 students. If I remember correctly, you use to have positive things to say about Clarke....why the bitterness?

Karma will get the Clarke. They will run into a team that can rough them up.
Whoa now.... let’s see here-Strasburg beat Rapp 69-0. Clarke’s Jv scores on a punt block which wasn’t called and a 2 yard score with JVs after a fumble. There is 14 points but Clarke are the total villains in this on Rapps year. Now I see... I got how the class police works.

Reactions: JanesLunch
No dog in the fight but the optics of the coaches comments combined with the score do cast an undesirable shadow on the game. Sometimes it is extremely hard not to score on a team but that coach has been around long enough to know how to ease up in the throttle. At a certain point it’s a choice no matter how you look at it.

No dog in the fight but the optics of the coaches comments combined with the score do cast an undesirable shadow on the game. Sometimes it is extremely hard not to score on a team but that coach has been around long enough to know how to ease up in the throttle. At a certain point it’s a choice no matter how you look at it.
I see that point as I’m a realist but as we all know anything can and usually will be taken out of context. This will be my last point as it’s futile to argue anything on such social media accounts as it comes down to who wants the keyboard last. Quite honestly, I was there so I know the deal. Others on here chiming in were not. So it’s not their place to comment. But hey- that’s the beauty and agony of sites such as this. Bottom line is every team in the BRD beat Rapp extremely bad other than Stonewall. I’d bet it wasn’t fun for any staff other than Stonewall and Madison who have had down years. Lastly, how a play(s) happen in a game will always make a difference in how bad it gets in regards to a score. No matter what the intentions were of the opposing staff. Im done and dropping my mic so to speak...... as always good luck to every team still playing and thanks to all the seniors who played their last game this past Friday as they played the greatest game ever.

That Martinsburg comments on the was as stupid as they come. A "AAA" school with 1500 students. If I remember correctly, you use to have positive things to say about Clarke....why the bitterness?
I’m not bitter in the least. But the coach’s comments in the paper revealed something not so cool. My opinion. You ok with those comments? And then the rationalizations on here?

By the way, Martinsburg is about twice the size of Clarke. Clarke is about twice the size of Rapp. Now who made the stupid statement?

But the comment had nothing to do with size. It was about discrepancy in talent.

Last edited:
The way the coach sounded after the fact makes him seem like the asshole. You should try and sound more apologetic and classy after you beat a team 84-0. And to pretend there aren't ways to mitigate such a blowout is ridiculous. I'm a firm believer you don't beat a team 84-0 unless you want to beat a team 84-0. But, just my two cents.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT