Berryville, VA
2/22 7pm at East Rockingham

2/27 7pm vs. Madison County

3/05 7pm vs. Luray

3/12 7pm at Stonewall Jackson Quicksburg

3/19 7pm vs Strasburg (Senior Night)

3/26 7pm at Page County

Reactions: iDidntGetBanned
I wonder if they will let spectators in the stands? Right now in WV, only family members on a list can get in to a HS football game. If that's the case, I'll take a tree stand to Page County! Dunno about East Rock or Stonewall.

That will be the BIG question moving forward. At least we will have basketball season first to see how things are handled with that. I can see a LOT of outside fences being lined around the state! Might motivate more schools to get their own radio contract going if they don't have one already.

That will be the BIG question moving forward. At least we will have basketball season first to see how things are handled with that. I can see a LOT of outside fences being lined around the state! Might motivate more schools to get their own radio contract going if they don't have one already.
Currently I think 250 people allowed in Phase 3. Mind you I said I think. Now the dilemma is, who will be those 250 people, especially for basketball season. Do you admit paying customers or rose who have been give passes freely.

If it is 250 for football, parents won't even get in.

I'm pretty sure it is 1000 right now for outdoor events.

But the biggest question I have is exactly how those 1000 (hypothetically) are divided. The Riverheads/Tazewell game for example. There is no way you can have a game that far and have fans/parents drive that distance and not get in. And before counting any fans you have to include both teams, coaches, officials, and essential personnel. Hopefully it will be better by that point and it will be a moot point, but it is far more involved than just a set number of people

Thanks Gunz for an excellent explanation with some valid points. I think you are right that the outdoor limit is currently 1,000. But you are also right about who gets top priority before fans can even be considered. The point about visiting fans is also well taken. As you said, let's just hope there is a vaccine or some other positive step so we will not have to face this kind of confusion.

From Roanoke Times twitter 6 days ago:

Max of 250 including participants. VHSL still lobbying with Gov.’s office but has been told no change “anytime soon.”

From Cody Elliot of the Daily News Record on same day:

Haun said he and Tom Dolan met with the Governor's Office last week and were told we won't be out of Phase 3 "anytime soon." Added that he requested that when schools do return to play, an adjustment be made on 250-person spectator capacity. He said they did seem receptive. #VHSL

1st and foremost I want the kids to play.
They should at least provide two tickets for the parents of all varsity players. If a parent hasn't "cashed in" their ticket at a certain time before kickoff then that ticket can be sold.

Need to let parents have the chance to watch their kids before regular spectators (especially parents of seniors).

Reactions: ClarkeFan83
1st and foremost I want the kids to play.
They should at least provide two tickets for the parents of all varsity players. If a parent hasn't "cashed in" their ticket at a certain time before kickoff then that ticket can be sold.

Need to let parents have the chance to watch their kids before regular spectators (especially parents of seniors).

I completely agree. And they are somewhat essential personnel with my examples above.

But even that has to be dealt with logistically. I am just going to come up with hypothetical numbers here, and even leave out just say concessions to give the best numbers.

So say both teams have 60 players/coaches. And let's add 30 each for school officials and cheerleaders. That is 90 for the visitors.

Let's add another 20 for the home team for people working (chains, press box, tickets, etc).

There is 200 right there without fans.

Now I agree with you that parents should certainly be 1st. And 2 seems like a good idea in theory. But what about step parents, siblings, grandparents, etc.

And how about how tickets would be split? 50/50?

Again, I am hoping it doesn't come to any of that. Just pointing out that numbers fill up fast, its not as easy as just pointing out a number, and its not even a set number per team.

But I do think that everyone needs to remember these things before they go complaining to school officials etc. Not saying anyone here is, as I haven't seen it. But this is A LOT more on their plate now, as well as having to deal with the reality of all of it and knowing they would all want as many people there as possible.

Phase 3 sets the limit at 250. If we are still in phase 3, we won't play football at all, because it is high risk. So even though I don't like wagering on a new type of virus, if we do have football, it will probably be 1000 fans. And I think we will have it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT