ADVERTISEMENT

Class 1A State Top Ten Football Poll by uvacavs1

To answer Optimal's question, this year Riverheads will play:

Two 1-A teams....Bath and Stonewall

Eight 2-a teams.........Stuarts Draft, East Rockingham, Buffalo Gap, Luray, R E Lee, Wilson Memorial, Central Woodstock, and Page County

We have played Waynesboro in the past, which is 3-A and next year we will play Fort Defiance if they come into the Shenandoah, and they are also 3-A. Not only that but there are rumors that some of the above teams will be stepping up to 3-A. If they do, and if we continue to play them, that will help our points standings.

Wilson is moving to 3a

UVA, I agree with most of it. Only my opinion. Move Galax up to 3, followed by tie with Colonial Beach and Chilhowie. Swap out number 9 Narrows with West Point. Only my take. Your poll is probably more accurate than mine.

lucustookis, you could very well be right on the money!

I played around with the rankings - and had teams at those spots at one point, In fact, I changed one or two right before submitting.

I still think Chilhowie is # 3 for now - 1) they won the last contest v Galax deep in the playoffs 2) They have experienced returning team. 3) Chilhowie just beat the bricks in the opener off 2A Marion who won 9 games last season.

more in a bit...

Reactions: WhudeyCHS
UVA, I agree with most of it. Only my opinion. Move Galax up to 3, followed by tie with Colonial Beach and Chilhowie. Swap out number 9 Narrows with West Point. Only my take. Your poll is probably more accurate than mine.

to continue...

I have a lot of respect for CB and their entire Spartan culture. I love that they beat a 3A team last 6X their size this past weekend!. They will be a force again. CB deserves to be ahead of NHS as of now. However, I think Northumberland will defeat the Drifters at home this season. That is just my opinion. For some reason, I am more concerned about the W&L Eagles - all three of these NND teams look good.

I think that Rappahannock will defeat West Point in a couple weeks. I am not disrespecting WP, I just think the Raiders will get the W.

Narrows won their 1st game and appears to be a top returning team from that side of the state. Plus, I wanted to balance out the poll between West and East (if possible) for fairness.

I tried to come up with the next 10 teams (not in any particular order) to give us sort of a Top 25 1A teams. Please agree, disagree, say no way on this club, this team should be in top 10, top 15, who did I leave out that should be in the conversation?

Who may surprise us and make a run? Bubble teams?

HM #11- 15- West Point, Franklin, Patrick Henry, Sussex, Covington

Next 10 (not really in any order)

Altavista, George Wythe, Central L, JI Burton, Parry McCluer, Hurley (I always pull for Hurley - love that stadium, awesome even in photos) Middlesex, Auburn, Grundy, Eastside.

Some of those teams were once powers...

Reactions: Eaglepride89
I tried to come up with the next 10 teams (not in any particular order) to give us sort of a Top 25 1A teams. Please agree, disagree, say no way on this club, this team should be in top 10, top 15, who did I leave out that should be in the conversation?

Who may surprise us and make a run? Bubble teams?

HM #11- 15- West Point, Franklin, Patrick Henry, Sussex, Covington

Next 10 (not really in any order)

Altavista, George Wythe, Central L, JI Burton, Parry McCluer, Hurley (I always pull for Hurley - love that stadium, awesome even in photos) Middlesex, Auburn, Grundy, Eastside.

Some of those teams were once powers...

Not that I know much of anything about them or the circumstances of the game, but I believe I saw where JI Burton played one of the top 2a teams pretty close last weekend. Maybe I misread though

@Gunz41 JI Burton lost to Union 35-20 or something like that. Union is a legit threat in 2A so to stay within 2 scores says they are at the very least decent.

After week 4-5, this topic will be very interesting since most of the top teams will have played a rival or two and someone that should have at least tested them.

@Gunz41 JI Burton lost to Union 35-20 or something like that. Union is a legit threat in 2A so to stay within 2 scores says they are at the very least decent.

After week 4-5, this topic will be very interesting since most of the top teams will have played a rival or two and someone that should have at least tested them.

That's who I thought it was but wasnt going to say without being certain. When I looked again I knew, but wasnt going to edit the post. Maybe Union isnt as good, maybe JI BURTON is really good, maybe some of both.

Both are respectfully good to be honest. For a smaller school Burton can hold their own. Don’t think Unions not legit either. I wasn’t there but was told it was a good out for both schools.

Union was up 35-6 heading into the fourth, Burton added two late scored against backups to make margin more respectable

Uvacavs1, no argument here with your 1A top ten. Essex and Riverheads are two very, very, good squads. Chilhowie is right in the mix, and still has hopes of another run in the post season.
Out west, Galax is again tough. They played a very good Glenvar team toe to toe last week. Patrick Henry is no pancake. They have some good athletes, and their RB ( Brown) is tough. JI Burton, Grundy, Eastside, GW, Narrows, and Hurley are very capable of an upset any friday. We will know more in about 4-5 weeks. For now, hopefully all teams will play hard and keep healthy.

Uvacavs1, no argument here with your 1A top ten. Essex and Riverheads are two very, very, good squads. Chilhowie is right in the mix, and still has hopes of another run in the post season.
Out west, Galax is again tough. They played a very good Glenvar team toe to toe last week. Patrick Henry is no pancake. They have some good athletes, and their RB ( Brown) is tough. JI Burton, Grundy, Eastside, GW, Narrows, and Hurley are very capable of an upset any friday. We will know more in about 4-5 weeks. For now, hopefully all teams will play hard and keep healthy.

Chilwar25, great to hear your input! I think I can say that most everyone on here likes and respects your posts and knowledge. You are a great representative for your favorite school and area!

I like pulling for an underdog so I hope Chilhowie can go far this year and beat Riverheads if you happen to face them again! I am also pulling for an underdog (NHS) in the East to upset Essex, but I know how tough it is to take down the big dogs!

Good luck and God Bless you sir!

Plus, I know Chilhowie has to go through Galax and some others first. I certainly respect Galax's Coach Dixon and their success. He can prepare his boys that's for sure.

However, Galax has already knocked off one Neck team (Essex) on a couple years ago on their way to the State Football title.

Galax also just defeated another of my favorite Neck schools, Rappahannock, in the Soccer state Championship two months ago. The Neck in Soccer hopes to come after Galax in soccer this year as Rapp has 10 starters back and newcomer to the party, Northumberland, has 9 starters returning from their best season in decades. Galax has 3 state titles in the last 4 years and is loaded again they say.

Riverheads knocked off Northumberland in baseball in states this year on the way to a state title.

Point is Riverheads and Galax are taking state titles from the Neck---

Anyway, time for some new champions in Football but it ain't gonna be easy! If anyone can knock off Essex and/or Riverheads in football - that will certainly be impressive...to say the least ha.

Last edited:
Here is my hope for the season since I have no dog in hunt. We will call it the all disrespected final 4. Dont know how most of these teams are, just ones I have seen disrespected recently on here.

1A

A- Northumberland or West Point
B- William Campbell(although I would choose SJ if I didnt know them
C-Narrows
D-JI Burton or Chilhowie

2A

A- Nottoway or Greensville
B- Stuarts Draft
C- Radford
D- Union

4A

A- Deep Creek
B- Louisa
C- Liberty Bealton
D- Amherst

Here is my hope for the season since I have no dog in hunt. We will call it the all disrespected final 4. Dont know how most of these teams are, just ones I have seen disrespected recently on here.

1A

A- Northumberland or West Point
B- William Campbell(although I would choose SJ if I didnt know them
C-Narrows
D-JI Burton or Chilhowie

2A

A- Nottoway or Greensville
B- Stuarts Draft
C- Radford
D- Union

4A

A- Deep Creek
B- Louisa
C- Liberty Bealton
D- Amherst
Disrespected? I'll have to say I don't take the time to read everything on here so I'm sure I've missed something but as for 1A I haven't seen Narrows or Chilhowie being disrespected or some of the others for that matter, disrespected is a strong word and if someone's opinion is that one team beats another isn't necessarily a sign of disrespect.

Disrespected? I'll have to say I don't take the time to read everything on here so I'm sure I've missed something but as for 1A I haven't seen Narrows or Chilhowie being disrespected or some of the others for that matter, disrespected is a strong word and if someone's opinion is that one team beats another isn't necessarily a sign of disrespect.

Well I really hadn't seen much in those regions, but I do know I have seen Chilhowie got ran off field, if they get there again they will get ran off field again. That is disrespectful imo. As for Narrows, cant really give much for that, but had to put someone

Reactions: MT FAN 91
Well I really hadn't seen much in those regions, but I do know I have seen Chilhowie got ran off field, if they get there again they will get ran off field again. That is disrespectful imo. As for Narrows, cant really give much for that, but had to
makes sense

makes sense

I dont think William Campbell has really been disrespected, except the doesnt have a chance against Riverheads, but had to pick someone there too. Honestly in the areas I hadn't seen one talked bad about, I tried to remember how they did last year. And didn't do 3,5,6 because I dont post on their boards. And I obviously didn't put a single thought into 2B since that is where my team is.

Some of it just comes from not liking to see negative things on here, and that may just be my personality or how I feel about kids. There are way better sounding things than to say a team sucks, is horrible, got obliterated, stomped, etc. If a team is that, why pile it on and simply state a team that isnt as good, struggled, etc. It doesn't make it any better point to write the 1st things.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT