ADVERTISEMENT

Coaching Searches

Aug 10, 2011
I know we have some big games this weekend but we are also only a couple months out for an entire new season....which is crazy to think about. There are a handful of interesting jobs out there on multiple levels; Radford HS, Richlands HS, Grayson Co HS, I think I head Parry McCluer HS....any names being floated around and other openings I have missed....always fun to speculate.

I think it’s going to be a tall task to have someone come into Radford or Richlands and continue to be successful unless it’s an internal candidate. Radford and Richlands both have phenomenal facilities and support so it’s definitely a plum job. I personally don’t think that it’s nearly enough time to assemble a staff for a new coach. Plus there will also be a few assistant openings at Richlands which gives you room to maneuver but it’s almost gotta be coming from the same staff as the head coach came from to have continuity. I won’t speak on Grayson as I haven’t followed them closely enough to say anything that would be coherent. PM is interesting because they have a rabid fan base but they are extremely unforgiving if you don’t produce or at least that’s my perception. I have spoken to a few people in the know there and there is a decent group of athletes coming through so if the right person takes over they could make some noise in a couple of years.
All in all, trying to cram 8 months of offseason into 3 will make it interesting come September.

Reactions: Mike777VSP
I think Grayson Co. had someone already lined up. But I could be very wrong

I can't believe Wells left Richlands after one year. That's burning a hometown bridge. But it is hard to get into college coaching unless you do it when you are young so best of luck to him on his new endeavor. Does anyone know where he is going?

I think Grayson Co. had someone already lined up. But I could be very wrong

I can't believe Wells left Richlands after one year. That's burning a hometown bridge. But it is hard to get into college coaching unless you do it when you are young so best of luck to him on his new endeavor. Does anyone know where he is going?
I heard he got offered a job at UVA. I'm a Tech guy, but I definitely can't blame him for taking the job there or at any college for that matter, if that is something he has dreamed of doing

I heard he got offered a job at UVA. I'm a Tech guy, but I definitely can't blame him for taking the job there or at any college for that matter, if that is something he has dreamed of doing
Wow, definitely can't fault him for taking a job at UVA. Congrats to him. That is an awesome opportunity.

Reactions: kwhs95fan
The Grayson job is intriguing. While they are really thin in athletes and talent for the next few years, whoever steps into the job is going to have top notch facilities.
They have a weight room that is only a couple years old that is super nice. They are installing a turf field, turf practice field, and a indoor practice facility with turf.

The Grayson job is intriguing. While they are really thin in athletes and talent for the next few years, whoever steps into the job is going to have top notch facilities.
They have a weight room that is only a couple years old that is super nice. They are installing a turf field, turf practice field, and a indoor practice facility with turf.
For a county that is struggling financially that is a very impressive list of facilities...for that matter it would be impressive facilities anywhere. Look forward to seeing how it all looks when completed.

I was told food city gave them some, but we are talking millions of dollars in total. The indoor practice facility shell is complete already

Reactions: MT FAN 91
Coach James is a close by hire and obviously knows the competition Grayson will face....but doesn't seem like they went after anyone who looks to be there very long. I would think they will be going through the process again within 5 years or so.

Well the Grayson job is covered.....PM? JF? Radford? Richland's? I know this is a D1 board but we seem to be most active group on here. Ive heard several names floating around the NRV about the Radford position; 2 are current head coach's and 1 is a current assistant but former head coach.....I would imagine there are many more applicants but this job could be leading to another head job opening soon.

Kinda joking, kinda not. Wonder how many Jack Turner has applied for.

If he'd just stick around for more than 1 season. I thought he was having health problems but if I remember correctly some folks had started to question that (?). Maybe I've got that wrong. He did a great job at Auburn.

He has done a great job at most places he's been too......however, that list has gotten pretty extensive here recently and to me that's concerning if your talking long term.

I couldn't see any school board or administration officials in the New River Valley seriously consider Jack Turner. Was shocked he got the Chattem job. Probably spelled that wrong, doesn't look right

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT