ADVERTISEMENT

Cole Beck

Jun 16, 2015
After seeing the comments about Cole in earlier threads, just felt the need to respond to some of the comments. First of all, congrats to Salem on the game Friday night. Great game and wish Salem the best on their chase to another state title. But, I will say I’m very disappointed in the comments by what I suppose are Salem fans and your Voice of the Spartans about Cole. You can say what you want about actions on the field, but understand, he’s an 18 year old kid that responds as any 18 year old would. I don’t know if it’s jealousy or what, but he has endured taunting, smack talk or whatever you’d like to call it all season long from opposing players and fans alike. Things such as “we’re going to break him an mess up his scholarship”, “ run the ball my way”, or hitting him low around the knees all sorts of crap. The saddest of which was a Salem fan (old enough to be his grandfather) yelling “you’re nothing but a track guy, not a football player”. Same thing happened at Giles, btw. I’m sure these kinds of things happen to a lot of kids, but I don’t see them getting called out on a message board. As for the comment about pulling for him at VT, you won’t be missed. As for 3putt, he’s a classless jerk that hides behind a keyboard and will reap what he sows someday. What you don’t see is Cole taking pictures with kids after games (home and away), going to kid’s birthday parties just because he’s asked to or doing things in the community. I respect everyone’s opinion on this board and others I frequent, but be fair and understand that these are HS kids, football players and most of all, young men that will one day be leaders in our community.

After seeing the comments about Cole in earlier threads, just felt the need to respond to some of the comments. First of all, congrats to Salem on the game Friday night. Great game and wish Salem the best on their chase to another state title. But, I will say I’m very disappointed in the comments by what I suppose are Salem fans and your Voice of the Spartans about Cole. You can say what you want about actions on the field, but understand, he’s an 18 year old kid that responds as any 18 year old would. I don’t know if it’s jealousy or what, but he has endured taunting, smack talk or whatever you’d like to call it all season long from opposing players and fans alike. Things such as “we’re going to break him an mess up his scholarship”, “ run the ball my way”, or hitting him low around the knees all sorts of crap. The saddest of which was a Salem fan (old enough to be his grandfather) yelling “you’re nothing but a track guy, not a football player”. Same thing happened at Giles, btw. I’m sure these kinds of things happen to a lot of kids, but I don’t see them getting called out on a message board. As for the comment about pulling for him at VT, you won’t be missed. As for 3putt, he’s a classless jerk that hides behind a keyboard and will reap what he sows someday. What you don’t see is Cole taking pictures with kids after games (home and away), going to kid’s birthday parties just because he’s asked to or doing things in the community. I respect everyone’s opinion on this board and others I frequent, but be fair and understand that these are HS kids, football players and most of all, young men that will one day be leaders in our community.

Not from the area, but it seems from reading a GREAT kid. But from your examples, I think the worst is trying to hurt him, not calling him a track star. Maybe there is some back story, but trying to injure someone is low. Good luck to the young man in the future on and off the sports arena

After meeting several of the Blacksburg player's parents this year and following many of the players on Twitter, I see good people. The players busted their butts to win 3A last year and especially to get ready for the jump up to C4 this year. One example of the changes made- #65 DT Gideon Driscoll went from 200 lb to 265 lb in one year by hitting the weight room. I don't know what the participation numbers were for the weight room in the offseason, but it was evident that it was very high due to the results on the field. Their efforts were rewarded on the field and many players are receiving offers to the next level. I understand these kids make mistakes, we all do, but overall I think Blacksburg is a good program with good kids, coaches, and fans.

After meeting several of the Blacksburg player's parents this year and following many of the players on Twitter, I see good people. The players busted their butts to win 3A last year and especially to get ready for the jump up to C4 this year. One example of the changes made- #65 DT Gideon Driscoll went from 200 lb to 265 lb in one year by hitting the weight room. I don't know what the participation numbers were for the weight room in the offseason, but it was evident that it was very high due to the results on the field. Their efforts were rewarded on the field and many players are receiving offers to the next level. I understand these kids make mistakes, we all do, but overall I think Blacksburg is a good program with good kids, coaches, and fans.
Mike, you’re the epitome of a HS football fan. It was my pleasure to meet you in Williamsburg last December and see you at the games this year. Keep fighting the good fight my friend!

Well said my friend. Onward Cole

I totally agree with Mike. Despite cheering for Salem, I sat on Blacksburg's side both times this season (mainly because I got there too late to get a seat on Salem's side). Blacksburg's fans were complimentary of Salem's players and coaches and never seemed to have ill feelings with me cheering for the opposing team. I am extremely impressed with Coach Wells and his staff and their accomplishments over the last two years. I think the Bruins are here to stay and will prove to be a formidable force in the years to come. As far as Beck on Friday night goes, I never really even gave it a thought until I saw it on these boards. He is clearly a phenomenal talent with an ability to take over a game anytime. With that, there will always be people wanting to say something simply because of his success. I saw it as Beck having fun lighting up the scoreboard, which he surely did 5 times! I have read about everything that has been published about Beck and it all points to a great kid who is enjoying what he acknowledges is a very special time in his life. Best wishes to him and all the Blacksburg players, coaches, and fans!

Beck is probably the fastest back that anyone of us in this area have ever seen. I think as a fan of an opposing team, it was probably hard to not get caught up in the hype of trying to stop him. I think it was probably just as hard on a kid with that much talent to not get caught up against a team that has had a lot of success like Salem has had. He did some things that I personally didn't like, but I don't think that defines him. From what I have read here and on twitter, both Cole and the rest of the Blacksburg faithful are class acts.

I will add to this post. This summer we spent some time out at Blacksburg's training camp, and we had a chance to catch up with and interview Cole after practice. He was humble, and had a team first attitude even though at the time he had already garnered 32 offers. Media stuff aside, I became a big Cole Beck fan when he took the time to talk with my two sons, and even pose for a picture so my oldest could post it on his Instagram. They even followed each other on Instagram and he sent my oldest son a nice note to encourage him in his first season playing football. Made the day for my two sons! . Cole is a really good young guy, and a really good player. In the heat of battle I'm sure plenty gets said, but people need to remember these are just young kids still playing this game. I hope he tears it up at VT, and helps the Hokies win the ACC! I'll be one of his biggest fans.

No need to defend Beck. He is a fine young man and good player and his work speaks for itself. Just ignore Putt, Eastbottomknucklebumps and whatever other names he may post under from time to time as well as the select other idiot Salem fans(every fan base has some). Truly knowledgeable fans appreciate the kid.

Bburg fan here. I like my Gi les peeps also. You really want to say what happened at that game. I doubt it. I was embarrassed. I think you seem to know GIles pounded our ass for what. 6 years straight That is a proud bunch over there. Never have I heard them say much bad about the Bruins. Being a Bruin. I will say this. Many schools don't respect smack talking Blacksburg after seeing CLASS for many years with Crist. So just who is the talkers? Wells has done fine job of winning. I am not sure in any other department. Again leave school like GIles out of sulking. Never have they been a issue. All they do is win.

About Beck. You seem close to situation. He is good player. He is great track star. We in reality do not know how he will end up as football player. Upside is huge. I agree with that. Him getting smack from others is really a compliment. He is not only kid with name to get bulls eye on back. My advice. Kid going to a p5. Buckle up now. Most his new teammates and opponents can play. Time will tell who elevates their games. Being a Hokie I sure hope Cole does.

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
Some of you know that I am the so-called "Voice of the Bruins" (play-by-play) on local radio. As such, I attend a lot of Blacksburg's practices to learn as much about the players and their nuances, the coaches, the schemes being practiced (sorry - I won't share any if that!) and just to get as good of a perception of the team as I can in advance of Friday night broadcasts. I have gotten to know some of the players and have a pretty good feel for their personalities.

Coleton Beck is simply special - as a player but more importantly as a person. He has remained humble, polite and team-oriented throughout the three years I have been privileged to call Bruins games. As another poster said, he takes time to chat with kids and does all the little things right. He isn't the most vocal player on the team - far from it. He's by no means an introvert, but it isn't his personality to gloat or revel in his personal success.

One reason Blacksburg has been so successful the last few seasons is the team-first mentality this team has adopted. It is becoming the football cultural norm in Blacksburg. The 2016 and 2017 Blacksburg squads were two of the most grounded, loosest, down-to-Earth teams I've ever been around. They never got too up or too down. Several college programs would give anything to achieve the demeanor Blacksburg has had the last two years. Coleton Beck was very much a part of that emerging culture.

I don't know what the future holds for Coleton Beck. Maybe it's college football stardom and beyond. Maybe it's an Olympic medal. All I do know is that he's a great young man, from a great family.

Maybe I'm biased, and I suppose to an extent I am, but the Coleton Beck I've gotten to know would make any parent glad to claim his as a son. His future is very bright. I wish him nothing but the best.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT