ADVERTISEMENT

Colonial District Semifinal: Hermitage 6, Freeman 2 (8 inn)

Sep 15, 2002
#6 seed Hermitage scored 4 runs in the 8th and held on for a 6-2 upset win over #2 Douglas Freeman in a Colonial District semifinal. The game, suspended Tuesday night at Godwin HS due to lightning, resumed Thursday evening at Deep Run HS.

John Levy's fielder's choice grounder brought home Tyler Bailey ahead of the tag to score the go-ahead run. After an error brought home the inning's second run, Nick Nork's sacrifice fly and Andrew Huddleston's single each drove home additional insurance runs. Earlier the Panthers tied the game in the 5th on a Xavier Coleman sacrifice fly.

Brandon Taylor pitched four innings of relief for the Panthers to earn the win, striking out 6 and allowing only two singles.

Bailey and Kendall Jordan each had a single and double for the Panthers. Dave Dwight led the Freeman offense going 3 for 4 with a double.

Hermitage advances to the Colonial District championship game at Godwin HS Friday night at 7pm. They also clinch a Central Region tournament berth and will face James River in the quarterfinals Monday.
This post was edited on 5/24 9:29 PM by tvblake65

From my column last week:

"This is one scenario where I’d rather be the six-seed than the four-seed. Hermitage can get to regionals by beating Mills Godwin (something they just did, by a 6-1 score), then beating Douglas Freeman (something it also just did, by a 4-0 score). Meanwhile, the Tucker / PH winner will have to beat Deep Run (which hasn’t lost since March) and then win a third game. I don’t like those odds."

A tip of the cap to Hermitage for doing a great job to get to regionals.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT