• C. Forge

Votes: 11 42.3%
  • O. Smith

Votes: 15 57.7%

• Total voters

757FridayNiteZ

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Sep 9, 2015
C. Forge is 0-4 vs Smith but is 1-0 vs Coach Scott (@Ocean Lakes). Both teams battled vs Highland Springs well but each lost by a TD in 2019.

Game is Saturday @2 pm. C. Forge has to travel 3 hrs to Chesapeake for this game.

This is the year Forge gets to the final. My opinion is not based on X/Os or matchup. Just it's about time they get over the semis hump.

Don’t know a ton about Smith this year aside from they’re good like always and Scott is now their coach. I’ll say this, I’d love to think Forge will win purely because “it’s about time” but honestly if they were gonna win due to that it would’ve happened two years ago at Forge in that overtime game. Truth is Forge has to finish them straight up. They had late game leads in semifinal games against Smith in 16 and 17 and squandered both. Everyone knows by now Forge can play with any of the big boys year in and year out, just need to learn to finish the big games like Smith, Westfield etc. do

Reactions: loyal2thesoil
Don’t know a ton about Smith this year aside from they’re good like always and Scott is now their coach. I’ll say this, I’d love to think Forge will win purely because “it’s about time” but honestly if they were gonna win due to that it would’ve happened two years ago at Forge in that overtime game. Truth is Forge has to finish them straight up. They had late game leads in semifinal games against Smith in 16 and 17 and squandered both. Everyone knows by now Forge can play with any of the big boys year in and year out, just need to learn to finish the big games like Smith, Westfield etc. do
Well, let's be completely fair about it...that "it's about time" may very well have happened had OS not added perhaps one of the best players in the state to their roster the week of the game...and, yes, I was there, it was that close where one man made a difference in the outcome of that game.

Well, let's be completely fair about it...that "it's about time" may very well have happened had OS not added perhaps one of the best players in the state to their roster the week of the game...and, yes, I was there, it was that close where one man made a difference in the outcome of that game.
I do agree on that and that move pisses me off to this day because no one could guard Kindel all game long until the transfer came in. But it’s been two years and I’ve moved on. The 2017 Forge team top to bottom was undoubtedly the best one. But this might be the grittiest one yet. Kauthen and Sarratt are physical specimens that will be key. The passing game hasn’t been as consistent this year as past years as this is a much more run heavy team. But forge will need to get the ball in Sarratt’s hands more than they have been as of late if they want to win. Kid is basically a clone of his older brother josh except he’s 6’3.

Reactions: cockadoodledude
Safe Travels to the game, I will say this is a different Smith team than any of the previous 4 that Forge has faced. Can't say if that's a good thing or bad, its just really different. Maybe because its Coach Scott and at Smith we know him very well from O Lakes which really never struck in fear in us and we always felt we could beat them even if they had 20 D 1 recruits on the team but, when you have a coach like Morgan you have a chance to win any game period.

We are 0-4 against Westfield, we feel your pain.
Yep...it feels like any number of class 6 teams including Westfield smith forge Manchester (prior to last year’s super team) freedom and probably more have been relatively evenly matched for the last 4 years or so and it’s been a matter of what team shows up in the clutch and/or has the mental edge over the opponent

Reactions: CavsGrad
This year's team reminds me of the 2015 version. A lot of young, fast players and similar also in that a couple of All district seniors transferred out over the summer. A young, but very talented QB with many targets available to get the ball to. The defense has been expectionable vs the run.

There are so many weapons, few players have built up big stats & i think the coaches are holding back on their playbook a bit. I wouldn't be surprised to see a couple of the JV players that have moved up to have a big impact Saturday. At times, a couple of players on JV where unstoppable when they got the ball!

On the other end of the spectrum are the problems which come with the youth. A bit of inconsistency with execution and drive killing penalties have prevented about 2 scores per game! Last game saw big improvements but to keep moving on that stuff will have to get better.

Nice article in the VaPilot today about the Smith Sophomore QB.

757TEAMZ FOOTBALL
Oscar Smith quarterback Ethan Vasko is just a sophomore, but he’s rewriting records, trying to win a title
By LARRY RUBAMA 757TEAMZ
DEC 05, 2019 | 2:08 PM
CHESAPEAKE

It was the season opener for Oscar Smith and the Tigers were taking on four-time defending state champion Highland Springs.

More than 4,000 fans packed the Virginia Beach Sportsplex ready to see two of the top programs in the state battle.

It also was the first start for new Oscar Smith quarterback Evan Vasko. The North Carolina transfer, just a sophomore, handled the big moment with poise and never seemed rattled as the Tigers came up short to Highland Springs.

And while his numbers weren’t earth shattering, his play impressed many, including first-year Oscar Smith coach Chris Scott and Tigers quarterback coach Lafonte Thourogood.

“I just told him to have fun and play ball,” said Thourogood, a former star quarterback at Ocean Lakes and Division I player. “He made plays with his legs. I think the more that he made plays and the guys around him on defense made plays, it gave him more confidence.”

Vasko, who 6-foot-3 and 190 pounds, said he never felt nervous in the season opener.

“I’m pretty calm in a game, and I trusted everyone around me,” said Vasko, who will lead the Tigers against Colonial Forge on Saturday in the Class 6 state semifinal at 2 p.m. “And I knew that coach would lead me and get me in the right situation."

That’s the way Vasko has played all season. Several weeks after that game he helped the Tigers beat Indian River 42-10 in front of another huge crowd. He finished the game with 190 passing yards and a touchdown. He also rushed for 79 yards and two touchdowns in the win.

He finished the regular season fourth in passing yards and led Hampton Roads with 33 touchdowns.

Since then, he continues to rise up the South Hampton Roads single-season and Oscar Smith record book.

Heading into Saturday’s game, Vasko is second on the South Hampton Roads single-season passing touchdowns list with 41, trailing Landstown’s Terry Mitchell, who threw 46 in 2003. That means he’s already passed legendary Oscar Smith quarterbacks Phillip Sims, J.J. Williamson and Shon Mitchell.

Vasko also is 11th on the South Hampton Roads single-season passing yardage list with 2,786. He trails Sims by 255 yards for 10th.

He’s accomplished this while not playing the equivalent of two games because of blowouts.

“He’s definitely grown up beyond his years,” said Scott. “I think that’s attributed to the talent that he has that’s been shaped and molded. And I couldn’t be more proud of him and what coach Thourogood has been able to do with him. They have really gelled. And he’s kind of been a sponge and he’s soaked up everything that coach has told him.”

Thourogood said Vasko’s biggest thing is he’s a fast learner and picks up things quickly. That helps when he has to make checks on the field. Thourogood said Vasko not only has command of the offense but has become a field general, too.

“He’s very different from what you’re used to seeing in a sophomore,” Thourogood said. “Usually I’m more hands on, but for him it’s more what we teach him and what we practice, I’m confident that he’s able to get it done. He’s shown me week after week that he’s able to get it done.”

Vasko also has impressed some of the Oscar Smith greats. Sims got a chance to see him during a 7-on-7 passing league and left impressed. Earlier in the season, Mitchell got to see him and also was amazed.

Vasko played last season in North Carolina before moving to the area. .

“We knew a little bit about (Oscar Smith), but my family moved here to Chesapeake, and we made a family decision to move,” he said. “So we just got into this area.”

He thinks the key to his success is that he doesn’t really think about the moment but instead just goes out there and plays.

“I just go out there and play football, just like when I was younger,” he said. “That’s something that I’ve always done. I just like playing football.”

The future definitely looks bright for the Tigers with Vasko at the helm.

Vasko, who already has received interest from numerous colleges, said he just wants to concentrate on getting better and knows he will continue to develop under the tutelage of Thourogood.

“He’s helped me a lot with reads and reading defenses and helping me with my quick release and making sure that everything is on time,” he said. “But I think I can grow and get better with everything like decision making, my throws and my arm strength.”

Scott and Thourogood believe Vasko could be one of the great ones to come out of Hampton Roads.

“When he’s done,” Scott said, "he could turn out to be the best ever.”

“I believe he can be the best that we’ve ever had,” added Thourogood. “I said that after having him a few months. If he’s not a four or five star when he leaves here, then I put all the blame on me. With his intangibles and the way he works, there’s no way he won’t be there.”

Larry Rubama, 757-446-2273, larry.rubama@pilotonline.com

Reactions: Rev_Real
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT