Championship:
Thur. at higher seed

In C-35 today
Semifinals
at Strasburg / Sandy Hook Elem. field
4:30 - George Mason 3,. Page County 1
7:00 - Strasburg vs. Clarke County

Last edited:
The next few days are going to be challenging to say the least. I am sure that there are deadlines for regional and state play to begin, but the weather forecast I saw tonight calls for at least a 30% chance of rain for the next 7 days. It will be a miracle if every team still in the playoffs can get their games in.

The next few days are going to be challenging to say the least. I am sure that there are deadlines for regional and state play to begin, but the weather forecast I saw tonight calls for at least a 30% chance of rain for the next 7 days. It will be a miracle if every team still in the playoffs can get their games in.

Looks like I was worried about nothing. The weather cooperated beautifully today and both semi-finals were played. One went according to plan but I just learned on the 11:00 news that there was an upset in the other. Riverheads, the number two seed, handled R E Lee 8-2, but in the other (later) game, number four seed Wilson surprised top seeded East Rockingham 6-3, thus ending the Eagles' outstanding season. As a result, Riverheads will host Wilson tomorrow afternoon for the Conference championship. Both will then advance to next week's 2-A East Regional playoffs with tomorrow's winner hosting a game and the loser traveling to a Conference 35 destination.

I don't know any details about the Wilson game other than the final score, but the Riverheads win came courtesy of a complete game four-hitter from Colt Miller, who also helped his own cause with a three-hit day. He drove in the first two runs in the bottom of the first to put RHS ahead 2-0. The Leemen hung tough for a while as a solo homer and another run later brought them to within 4-2 entering the sixth. But in their last at-bat, the Gladiators struck for 4 more runs to settle the issue.

Game time, weather-permitting, will be 5:00 on the RHS diamond.

Greenville was blessed for the second night in a row with a muggy, but fortunately rain-free night, allowing RHS to host arch-rival Wilson for the Conference 36 championship. The homestanding Gladiators only needed about 90 minutes to dispatch the Hornets 5-0 and earn themselves a home game in Monday's opening round of the Region 2-A East playoffs.

John Dudley went the distance for the Gladiators, as he tossed a six-hitter and also helped his own cause by belting a towering double that nearly cleared the fence to lead off the Big Red fifth inning. That extra-bagger, along with a second double later in the inning by Christian Armstrong, led to three runs and put away what had been only a 2-0 game to that point.

Both teams fared well at the plate with RHS collecting 11 hits, as the outfield for both sides got quite a workout. But Wilson was done in by three throwing errors, at least one of which led directly to an RHS run. Preston Elkins absorbed the loss for Wilson before being lifted in the bottom of the fifth as Isaac Hummel finished for the Green Hornets.

As mentioned in my previous post, the season continues for both, and by the end of the night, assuming there is also nice weather up in Strasburg, we will know who is playing who. But as of the moment, we know the Big Red gets to stay at home and Wilson will be traveling to either the 'burg or to George Mason.

Congratulations to RHS for a BIG win and best of luck to both teams the rest of the way.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT