ADVERTISEMENT

Contenders, Pretenders, Dark Horses, Wannabes, and the Bottom

Louisa might go back to being dormant after Fischer leaves. Only time Louisa has been good is when he is the coach. Hopefully Louisa will hire a quality coach that has a track record. Having Louisa and Liberty on the schedule yearly would be nice. Even Sherando. They were at least scrimmaging the past few years when they didn't play in the regular season
Usually the Battlefield is good enough to make up for a weak ood schedule. I don't think I've ever seen JM/Court/Chan have 1 win between them after week 4.

EV could play a tougher out of district schedule, one option

sherando didn't have a explosive offense last year , they started like 7 sophomores, including the QB, RB, and FB. EV defense has improved over the last two years.

i would agree

I Said good offense not explosive....

EV also scheduled Turner Ashby two years out with the idea they wouldn't be on the decline. And they play in-county Culpeper every season... plus the district schedule. That really limits options. We're looking at an opportunity, really, for about 3 non-district games. Easy to say "They're only 60-90 minutes from 'School A'" and it's another to actually schedule around it. Just my two cents. Enjoying this discussion.

Reactions: OCBoy
EV also scheduled Turner Ashby two years out with the idea they wouldn't be on the decline. And they play in-county Culpeper every season... plus the district schedule. That really limits options. We're looking at an opportunity, really, for about 3 non-district games. Easy to say "They're only 60-90 minutes from 'School A'" and it's another to actually schedule around it. Just my two cents. Enjoying this discussion.
It's really a crap-shoot unless you're able to schedule a perennial power....and a lot of schools have their "set" out-of-district teams they play. Remember, EV just came along 10 years ago and had to nudge their way in to other teams schedules.

I can't remember Turner Ashby ever on the incline with football in recent history , last decent season was in 2009 at 9-3. Every team has those games where you are scratching your head thinking " what were we thinking?" Sherando vs Broadway this year comes to mind.

Same here with Denbigh vs. Dinwiddie. Crap we need every point we can get and nothing.......... Our A.D. feels bad about it and thought Denbigh was improving, but the Patriots are than when scheduled Jamestown in 2013 and 2014.

Exactly OC Boy. Unfortunately, your playoff seeds depend on your opponents. Plus, for teams like EV there are not a ton of teams who desire to play them.

Travel is a factor for some schools (policies), but you have to compete to get a higher seed.

I can't remember Turner Ashby ever on the incline with football in recent history , last decent season was in 2009 at 9-3. Every team has those games where you are scratching your head thinking " what were we thinking?" Sherando vs Broadway this year comes to mind.
They were 6-5 the last 2 years and were in the playoffs. One could believe they might have been on the incline. They had a coach who had been there for a very long time but he retired after last year.

6-5 in 3A = 3-9 if they were in 4A. Like I said it's not just a EV problem , every team has these problems. It's hard to balance being competitive with challenging your team.

6-5 in 3A = 3-9 if they were in 4A. Like I said it's not just a EV problem , every team has these problems. It's hard to balance being competitive with challenging your team.

It is certainly hard to predict, and I can't say being from this area I thought TA was back to their old self. They also were 3rd worst team in district last year, with Broadway and Fort Defiance being worse. I haven't seen TA play since we were in district with them, so they may be down but not rock bottom, but ill already guess Fort Defiance gets the win over at least Broadway. Now they have fallen HARD in last few years

Reactions: hamspear
But was the talent there I those years? Why Blacknight Hoosfan chime in with there thoughts
Good question but I seem to remember some smack talk on here those years but no production but maybe there's light to be shed since then

Reactions: hamspear
Well boys this ain't Texas. As much as we like to think that this is big time football, 4A in Virginia doesn't have a lot of coaches with a track record that change schools. And while good coaching makes a difference, good players also make a difference. Mark Fischer was a .500 coach from Armstrong when Louisa hired him. But Louisa gave him a chance. That turned out to be an amazing hire for them. He was hardly alone in the turn around process at Louisa. He had an AD that wanted to pump money into Friday football, creating the Jungle atmosphere on Friday night. He also happen to have a legit D1 running back in Rontray Houchens and a whole other cast of D1AA kids. Fischer is 4-8 in the playoffs with 3 of those wins coming in 2006. He has been great for Louisa football but I hardly doubt Louisa will be just dormant when he leaves. Jon Meeks went 1-1 in the playoffs with some of the worst talent Louisa had in the 20 years I have been around the Jefferson. Now at Brookville, Meeks is a perennial contender in 3A. Whoever takes over at Louisa next year will have a rebuild with the Lions losing 8 starters on defense and 9 starters on offense. The key with any hire is to get the kids passionate about the program, in the weight room, and have a solid football scheme. He also needs to put a good staff around him, something Fischer has always been able to do. I think the big wigs in Louisa will find the right guy for the job, even if its not someone with a "track record".

This is funny!!! I'd remove Sherando, Louisa, and EV from the contenders until they play a quality opponent. Salem, Monacan, Dinwiddie appear to be the most legit contenders in 4A.

Late to this one, and I haven't said too much on EV this year, but...

Yes EV has what looks like an easy schedule (and man I hate watching some of these games) but this team has my attention. They have what I would say is one real super star, which I think every teams needs, but they have boarder line stars all over the field. Many more than I have seen in the past. It seems like every play they find another kid. How they are winning is very impressive. They are not 1 dimensional, they can beat you passing, running, and special teams. I'm not sure Louisa for example can say that (although maybe they found a throwing QB?). The other thing, which we have seen grow the last couple years, is EV is very physical. The 1's on D have I think only given up 2 TD's.. Another thing to me, is the QB only has 4 games under his belt. He gets better and more confident every game. Hopefully when it's time for them to need him win a game, he will have enough salt to do so! Yeah we don't know that punch in the mouth reaction yet, so that we will have to wait to see. I am looking forward to tonight's game, as Courtland has decent lineman that are aggressive.

Unfortunately for several good teams in the B region, that is a tough group of teams. I think someone said it before, the top 4 or 5 could be undefeated or only have 1 lose.

Reactions: BleedingNavy
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT